• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

Yes, he does seem to know what he's doing with the Doctor. I think Moffatt over complicated himself - for a show for kids it got very twisted up in its own lore and history. The stories were great but the way the whole thing interlocked just got too top heavy, IMO. Chibnall I'm really not sure about. I don't know what brief he was given.

Lydia West for RTD's Doctor
Oh wow. She is good. Well, she impressed me both in Years And Years and especially in It's A Sin. Funnily enough, last night I was speculating to my partner about whether the new Doctor will be an actor who RTD has worked with before (Alan Davies, Russell Tovey, Rory Kinnear, Lesley Sharp, T'nia Miller..... even Ann Reid) and one person I thought of was Lydia, and I rather liked that idea. Young, fresh and a good actor. I kind of hope that it is true. Whoever it ends up being, I trust RTD to make a sound choice.

Oh wow. She is good. Well, she impressed me both in Years And Years and especially in It's A Sin. Funnily enough, last night I was speculating to my partner about whether the new Doctor will be an actor who RTD has worked with before (Alan Davies, Russell Tovey, Rory Kinnear, Lesley Sharp, T'nia Miller..... even Ann Reid) and one person I thought of was Lydia, and I rather liked that idea. Young, fresh and a good actor. I kind of hope that it is true. Whoever it ends up being, I trust RTD to make a sound choice.
She's done work in Doctor Who before apparently.

"Lydia West voiced Vivien in the Donna Noble: Kidnapped! audio story The Sorcerer of Albion."

https://tardis.fandom.com › wiki › L...
Web results
Lydia West - Tardis Wiki

I reckon with RTD coming back we could see Olly Alexander as the Doctor and Lydia West as a ‘companion’ but as an equal of course. Whatever. The BBC’s thrust for cultural diversity and lecturing and preaching to an audience already accepting of social issues raised by previous intelligent scifi and trying to attract new viewers of some demographic the corporation doesn’t fully understand (who aren’t really into that kind of thing and don’t watch much tv or pay the licence fee in any case) has produced the series’ lowest ratings and much of the merch is reportedly turning up in the bargain bin. Fans are crying out for a retcon of the destruction of decades of lore and storyline. There’s a big anniversary coming up and I’m thinking the BBC are desperate to put on a good show to mark the occasion. RTD has his work cut out to refloat this sunken wreck of a show but will be given carte blanche to pull out all the stops. Then they’ll cancel it, having ended on a high.

I reckon with RTD coming back we could see Olly Alexander as the Doctor and Lydia West as a ‘companion’ but as an equal of course. Whatever. The BBC’s thrust for cultural diversity and lecturing and preaching to an audience already accepting of social issues raised by previous intelligent scifi and trying to attract new viewers of some demographic the corporation doesn’t fully understand (who aren’t really into that kind of thing and don’t watch much tv or pay the licence fee in any case) has produced the series’ lowest ratings and much of the merch is reportedly turning up in the bargain bin. Fans are crying out for a retcon of the destruction of decades of lore and storyline. There’s a big anniversary coming up and I’m thinking the BBC are desperate to put on a good show to mark the occasion. RTD has his work cut out to refloat this sunken wreck of a show but will be given carte blanche to pull out all the stops. Then they’ll cancel it, having ended on a high.
As it's the beeb I'm putting money on the next Doctor being a transgender, mixed race, wheelchair using, little person :p

Seriously, guys?
It is so predictable now GNC, that it is getting tedious.

I want to be surprised to the point where I say to myself - ooh, I didn't see that coming...well done!

Just a cheap and nasty knock off of Deep Space Nine (the best Star Trek series!)

DS9 - The least convincing aliens ever to grace the screen. Half of them were Star Wars cantina rejects and the other half would have been laughed out of a 1960's BBC special effects department.

It was so earnest to "look at us we are Star Trek, but we are all grown up and serious..."

Every episode I ever had the misfortune to catch was a rinse and repeat. Ferengi, trying to wheel and deal, the English doctor-bloke looking uncomfortable with his embarrassing lines or an alien turning up with a silly name like Nog from the planet Kardashian.

All carried out on that terminally dull space station.

At least Voyager was just an attempt to rehash cowboys and Indians like the original, rather than trying to be some sort of faux-political drama/Smiley's People in space which ended up a soap.

Last edited:
DS9 - The least convincing aliens ever to grace the screen. Half of them were Star Wars cantina rejects and the other half would have been laughed out of a 1960's BBC special effects department.

It was so earnest to "look at us we are Star Trek, but we are all grown up and serious..."

Every episode I ever had the misfortune to catch was a rinse and repeat. Ferengi, trying to wheel and deal, the English doctor-bloke looking uncomfortable with his embarrassing lines or an alien turning up with a silly name like Nog from the planet Kardashian.

All carried out on that terminally dull space station.

At least Voyager was just an attempt to rehash cowboys and Indians like the original, rather than trying to be some sort of faux-political drama/Smiley's People in space which ended up a soap.
Prepare to meet your doom...
flamethrower.jpg

I'd quite like an older black, male, Doctor.
Sort of like Colin Salmon, if not the man himself.

I fully understand the drive for youth (gotta get those social media clicks), but I do wonder if that comes at the price of acting and story-telling.

As I have said previously, I think Adrian Lester would be a good 'Doctor'.

Actually yes, I hadn't even thought of him.

I realise I say this from an adult viewing perspective of a kids/family show, but for me the Doctor needs to have some mystery about them, which youth rarely conveys, though I will add that Matt Smith did pretty well.

Problem is, The Doctor is now basically indestructible and immortal and any real sense of danger has been lost for good. Unless you count snuffing the companions and I wouldn’t have been the slightest bit concerned about the last batch.

Problem is, The Doctor is now basically indestructible and immortal and any real sense of danger has been lost for good. Unless you count snuffing the companions.
Companions should be wary when the Doctor gives them a gift of a red jacket...

Personally, I'd be satisfied with a non-humanoid life form for the Doctors next transmutation.

Is this the bit where I come in, shout 'Paterson Joseph!' again and run away?

Yes, the Doctor is indestructable. But he always was, yet I remember back in the 60's desperately rushing to check next week's Radio Times to make sure he was listed as a character, so I knew he'd survive. The art of the storytelling is in the racking up of the tension to the point where it seems impossible that the Doctor will survive. Then the Doctor uses his intellect to cheat death. This is part of the attraction for the youngsters (whom, let's not forget, the series is written in the first place). How will the Doctor get out of it this week? Like Dan Dare, only with a screwdriver.

There is the start of an advertising campaign on BBC1 so something coming, probably just the start of the next series.
I was wondering if it was something to do with the “Cancelling of Barrowman” that the UK media seems intent on.

The Doctor Who channels are back. Looks like it was for this evening’s teaser before Strictly.

WTF did I just watch. Tuned in for John Bishop, who was pretty OK but the rest? No wonder it’s getting handed back to a safe pair of hands. No way kids like something so mashed up either.

Noticed the doc and her female companion tumbled together into a never seen before double bed in the control room. Big bbc yawn..

it was a jumbled load of… er something. I’m sure on the cutting room floor was an understandable and entertaining episode and maybe that’s a clue as to what’s happening onset.

Back