• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

A load of old tosh!

But excellently presented and performed old tosh - highly entertaining! :D

excellent. Brought completely and confidently up to date. Very much looking forward to the next episode.

Saturday's have become my sci-fi night now as on BBC 3 after Doctor Who Confidential (a dvd extra?) they're now showing Farscape from episode one (a series I never saw) and that's a lot of fun too.

great stuff.

by the way, anyone who missed it but has cable, it's on BBC 3, sunday night, same time.

From Beeb correspondent Andrew Marr:
Meanwhile, high excitement. After a career whose high points include stumbling over my words outside Downing Street, being sacked, having my picture painted by Hockney because he was amazed by the shape of my head and cavorting on national television in fishnet tights, a fixed smile and little else, I have at last reached the acme, the summit, the final glistening pimple of worldly success. In short, I have a vanishingly small part in the new run of Doctor Who.

Thanks to a small miracle of lateral thinking, I play a bat-eared political reporter. Filming this took a long time and a frightening quantity of technology, including a man with a tape measure interposing himself between a lens and my nose. But, hey, Doctor Who? I would have happily played a cactus on a windowsill or Billie Piper's missing sock.

This obsession goes back, as most do, to childhood, much of which was spent behind the reassuringly bulky family sofa when the theme music started. I don't suppose I saw very much of Jon Pertwee and friends, but I heard a lot. (Social history is full of false memory. But the suggestion that most children spent the 1960s hiding behind sofas from silver teapots in kilts is true.)

Many bad things have happened to me since. Indeed, I've done quite a lot of bad things since. But nothing was half as awful as being invited to my best friend's house across the road just after Christmas and having the door opened by… a Dalek! Other small boys might have asked themselves whether it was entirely likely that the Daleks would begin their assault on Earth in a small village outside Dundee. But I've never been entirely solid under fire. And anyway, it wasn't even a silver one. It was one of the really horrible black ones… Uughh.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2005/03/23/do2303.xml

Yup - utter tosh and cheap to make. Hello.

Really good. I hope it gets even better. The future episodes trailer looked a bit dodgy IMO.

40 and approaching 40 - something old men all over the country were glued to the TV with their kids and cats whilst their wives and girlfriends tutted at our silliness. Billie Piper is easy on the eye from my point of view and Mrs Alb considers Christopher Ecclestone as attractive. It's clever casting.

I'm looking forward to the viewing figures. It was nice to imagine that I was sitting down with the rest of male and child Britain to watch early evening Saturday night TV again.

PS - last night we watched 'The Two Ronnies' on BBC1. After 30 years, and all that stuff, not much has changed. Which is nice.

To sum up my 9 1/2 year old son sat silently throughout (apart from a giggle at the burping bin) and when it ended jumped and said propheticaly "I'm going to watch that every week"...high praise indeed and sign of a job well done..I enjoyed the slightly manic flippant Doctor.

High praise indeed, indeed. More or less reflects how I reacted when the series was relaunched with John Pertwee.

I never liked it after Tom Baker took over the role.

I really enjoyed it too, it was a bit hurried but both Eccleston and Piper were great and I'm looking forward to the next episodes. I like to believe the bin was a tribute to Emu's Broadcasting Company and I think any programme can be improved with 80s style robotics.

The Dalek in the preview show before it looked terrific.

If you missed it, it's on again on BBC 3, seven o'clock Sunday night.

alb said:
PS - last night we watched 'The Two Ronnies' on BBC1. After 30 years, and all that stuff, not much has changed. Which is nice.

And more Quatermass in the pipeline its like a time warp ;)

Crappy episode but I liked both Rose and the Dr. Perhaps being introductory it was likely to be a bit flimsy plot-wise. Also, i watched the bbc3 (or 4?) documentary that followed but didn't buy the logic for not including a regeneration scene (fresh start / kids wouldn't get / unneccesary).

Thought the trailer for the next episode looked rather good.

I watched alonside my eight year old grandson. He was absolutely enthralled.

The next time he goes shopping with his mum, he'll be keeping a weather-eye on the shop window dummies!

IMHO it was just about perfectly pitched for it's young audience, while not alienating (sic) us adults. A difficult tightrope to walk.

the base/hideout/hq of the "living plastic" i knew it would be something like "the terminator"

emps:- ill try to watch the "quatermass experiment" next week

Oh duurrr, the 'gay icon' palaver must have gone right over my head. :lol:

I watched the original Dr Who, right from the start, and was so terrified as a little kid that I must have expected the same level of menace from then on. :roll:

Naste's music is wonderful. The Daleks singing, wow, if I'd heard that as a small child I've have believed it really was them, on a night out perhaps.

What do you mean.............. :shock:

I was never a Doctor Who fan and I was on the PC writing while t'missus watched it and I caught the closing five minutes. Looked like fun but silly tosh ... just like the original.
I, too, enjoy watching the Two Ronnies but what with Doctor Who and the Two Ronnies, endless re-runs of Only Fools and Horses etc. is the BBC trying to regain the popularity it had in the seventies and eighties?

scargo:- thats darren brown has got to you! hasnt he?

after i click my fingers. youll enjoy a game of golf with your bf *clicks fingers*

FORE!!!!!

:lol:

I was scared that I'd built my hopes for this up too much, but I really really loved it!

And more importantly, my two boys , 7 and 3, sat inthralled throughout.

I loved every moment of it and I didn't give a damn about a lack of regeneration scene; we can see all that later. The tech is finally here that the doctor and his adventures can really be given justice!

*dances giddily around like a loon*

Dr Who's back! The doctor's back! Whoop! Whoop! Whoop!

*grins madly*

And wasn't the interior of the tardis splendid.

I've spoken to some mates who are great Dr Who fans and they all love it. What struck me about it was that it seemed that everyone involved really enjoyed doing it and that sense of fun comes across.

All in all it was great entertainment.

I'm afraid that I wasn't that impressed myself, the storyline was rushed (any introductory story should be either low on plot high on characterisation, at least an hour long/double episode), Billie sounded like a stage school student who's just been asked to act "common", and the "villain" was hardly Cybermen scary.
Ecclestone was good though, and after seeing the trailer for next weeks show, hopefully it was just a weak episode.
Not sure how it'll play to foriegn markets though, which is the most important factor when it comes to re-commissioning time...
All this being IMHO of course...

Yeah, I tend to agree, altho' I dunno if Ecclestone is a wise choice - and that bit about why The Doctor now has a northern accent was a bit daft. Still, nice to see they'll keep on having somewhat dodgy nasties chasing them all about, in time-honoured tradition ;)

glides smoothly towards Melf, golf club held stiffly under arm, pointing menacingly forwards

Exterminate! Exterminate!

(From 'outpost gallifrey')

Breaking news from a variety of sources, which note the following:

"Cult sci-fi hero Doctor Who won the battle of prime time as 10 million viewers tuned in to watch the series return after a 16-year absence, figures revealed today.

"The much-loved time traveller beat off competition from ITV’s Ant and Dec – and their guest David Beckham – to claim an average audience of 9.9 million on Saturday night.

"Salford-born Christopher Eccleston became the ninth small screen Doctor in a special effects-packed comeback, with former pop star Billie Piper starring as his new sidekick.

"The series, which was screened at 7pm, had an average audience share of 43.2% and hit a peak of 10.6 million viewers.

"Ant & Dec’s Saturday Night Takeaway, which ran against Doctor Who, had an average of 7.2 million viewers, taking a 31.4% share.

The Geordie duo peaked with an 8.5 million audience, 37.5% of the viewing public."

Of course, it's the drop-off in audience between weeks 1 & 2 that may determine it's longer-term future.

Sorry, Guys.

Dr. Who = Big pile of poo. :x

I bloomin' well hope the next episodes are better than the first - animated shop dummies and wheelie bins? Purrrrr-lease!!!

My 6 year daughter could come up with something better than that.

Very poor opening episode IMO.

The Autons are an old foe of the doctors.
I think that they needed the first baddies to be something common place to make it more scary. If it had started off with aliens then I feel that some of the audience would have just thought 'oh it's sci-fi I'll switch over'.

If the episode had been longer then the children would have got bored, they needed to introduce the characters and a load of action in a short time to get the kids hooked.

Fully loved in this house.

The story was a bit rushed, the introduction of the characters won't be needed anymore though, so the next stories should have more time.
I think what we ended up with yesterday was a condensed version of John Pertwee's first story. Still, a promising start.

Red_Dalek said:
The story was a bit rushed, the introduction of the characters won't be needed anymore though, so the next stories should have more time.
I think what we ended up with yesterday was a condensed version of John Pertwee's first story. Still, a promising start.

Did you ever have a dalek avatar? If not you should certainly acquire one.

Quicksilver said:
animated shop dummies and wheelie bins? Purrrrr-lease!!!
did you ever see the original series? This is Doctor Who don't forget... ;)

liveinabin said:
The Autons are an old foe of the doctors.
I was just going to say that...Jon Pertwee fought them ,,i think
To start with Daleks would've killed any anticipation i think (despite the fight with the "Nation" estate..
ohh btw Thanks Escargot

Yes it was Pertwees first story.
As I said I think this was a good opener as it grounds it in the familier. What is more scary to a kid? An alien in space or the man under the bed with a chainsaw. (You know the one I mean, he's the reason you could never sleep with your arm hanging out of the bed).

liveinabin said:
Yes it was Pertwees first story.
As I said I think this was a good opener as it grounds it in the familier. What is more scary to a kid? An alien in space or the man under the bed with a chainsaw. (You know the one I mean, he's the reason you could never sleep with your arm hanging out of the bed).
I was always told it was a hedge trimmer, but now I know the god awful truth.

Back