• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

I've just read on the Off the Telly Blog that Torchwood is set to be broadcast on Sunday the 22nd, and might be simultaneously shown on BBC1 and BBC3. I'm sure they'll broadcast it eventually, but at this rate I'm expecting it some time after the 2007 series of Doctor Who.

Speak of the devil, I was watching the "Steve Wright insults bands and singers show" and lo and behold after it had finished there was a trailer for Torchwood. I was kind of hoping for an Avengers for the Twenty-First Century, but this looks more like a science fiction A-Team. No broadcast date on the trailer, mind you.

More Torchwood-hype sightings...

From BBC digital radio 7 this time...
And now for something cryptic from Martin Montague, our Senior Presentation Producer:
"Are you eagerly awaiting the TV debut of Torchwood - the new sci-fi series from Russell T Davies? If so, keep listening to BBC7 for special transmissions from Torchwood, this week - and you could win a great prize. And that's all I can say for now - so you'll just have to tune in to find out what it is. Tarrah!"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbc7/drama/7thdimension.shtml

Loads of adverts on buses here in Edinburgh with 22nd as the broadcast date

Gordon

I've just heard that episode 2 of Torchwood features death by orgasm. Maybe it's time for a special Torchwood thread?

Did anyone else get the budget DVD of The Sonataran Experiment last week? I watched the extras today, with a good documentary about one of my favourite DW villains (they're right, they were kind of thrown away in The Two Doctors). And the ending of this story is my earliest TV memory, so thank goodness I still really enjoyed it.

gncxx said:
... hoping for an Avengers for the Twenty-First Century, but this looks more like a science fiction A-Team...

I know the feeling, I have not seen anything in the trailers so far that get my juices flowing. Time, will no doubt tell :twisted:

gncxx said:
Did anyone else get the budget DVD of The Sonataran Experiment last week? I watched the extras today, with a good documentary about one of my favourite DW villains (they're right, they were kind of thrown away in The Two Doctors). And the ending of this story is my earliest TV memory, so thank goodness I still really enjoyed it.

Ahh, i never knew it was out. I do like the story and i do hope the Sontarans return in the new series.

Who week with all of series 2:

www.uktv.co.uk/index.cfm?uktv=tv.series&tvSid=244872

UKTV Gold http://www.ukgold.tv http://www.onthebox.com/partner/otb

(All times 1 hour later on UKTV Gold + 1).

Series 2 Repeat Run starts 23 October.

23 October 7PM, 24 October 3PM BST 2-01 "New Earth"
23 October 8PM, 24 October 4PM BST 2-02 "Tooth And Claw"
24 October 7PM, 25 October 3PM BST 2-03 "School Reunion"
24 October 8PM, 25 October 4PM BST 2-04 "The Girl In The Fireplace"
25 October 7PM, 26 October 3PM BST 2-05 "Rise Of The Cybermen" pt 1 of 2
25 October 8PM, 26 October 4PM BST 2-06 "The Age Of Steel" pt 2 of 2
26 October 7PM, 27 October 3PM BST 2-07 "The Idiot's Lantern"
26 October 8PM, 27 October 4PM BST 2-08 "The Impossible Planet" pt 1 of 2
27 October 7PM, 28 October 3PM BST 2-09 "The Satan Pit" pt 2 of 2
27 October 8PM, 28 October 4PM BST 2-10 "Love And Monsters"
28 October 7PM BST 2-11 "Fear Her"
28 October 8PM BST, 29 October 6PM GMT 2-12 "Army Of Ghosts" pt 1 of
28 October 9PM BST, 29 October 7PM GMT 2-13 "Doomsday" pt 2 of 2

www.gallifreyone.com/thisweek.php

Has anyone else here bought The Invasion on DVD this week? I've watched the first two episodes, one animated and the other live action, and the animated one is really well done. Patrick Troughton always makes me laugh in this role, so here's hoping they fill in a few more gaps with Cosgrove Hall cartoons, because it's a fine idea.

Also nice to see Zoe doing to an answering machine what many in the future would like to do. Science fiction gets something right!

Mighty_Emperor said:
RECENT GUEST STARS IN DR WHO

Zoe Wanamaker
Catherine Tate
Penelope Wilton
Tracy Ann Oberman
Anne Robinson
Andrew Marr
Richard Wilson
Simon Pegg
Simon Callow
I'm a bit slow to pick up on this, I realise, but when did a minor role in Eastenders make you a star? I'm more than happy to accept the rest of these have done something else in their own right, but Miss Oberman surely doesn't fit the bill.

Anyway, has anyone mentioned the old Who stories upcoming on BBC4? They're showing Spearhead from Space this week and next (er, sorry, the first two were last night) as part of the British Sci-Fi season, and The Ark in Space is pencilled in staring Nov 27th. Enjoy!

Wanna see some classic Who?

If you really want to catch up with classic Doctor Who might I suggest YOU TUBE?
These are all there in little ten minute chunks (with exception of the last episode of STATE OF DECAY) and if you click on the botton right of screen you can go full screen.

SPEARHEAD FROM SPACE
AND THE SILURIANS
THE DAEMONS
DAY OF THE DALEKS
THE THREE DOCTORS
THE GIANT ROBOT
THE ARK IN SPACE
THE SONTARAN EXPERIMENT
GENESIS OF THE DALEKS
REVENGE OF THE CYBERMEN
TERROR OF THE ZYGONS
PLANET OF EVIL
PYRAMIDS OF MARS
THE ANDROID INVASION
BRAIN OF MORBIUS
SEEDS OF DOOM
ROBOTS OF DEATH
MASQUE OF MANDRAGORA
THE HAND OF FEAR
THE DEADLY ASSASSIN
FACE OF EVIL
STATE OF DECAY
KEEPER OF TRAKEN
THE FIVE DOCTORS

And the McGann Doc Who movie is on there tooo!!!

mooks

Not being fussy (I might give one of those a go) but - posting or watching episodes on Youtube would be illegal, I presume?

Peripart said:
Not being fussy (I might give one of those a go) but - posting or watching episodes on Youtube would be illegal, I presume?
Blimey. The thought police have been busy. :shock:

Posting might be considered a breach of something or other, and copyright infringement.

So. better watch it quick! Better hurry, 'cause it's going fast (at your peril)!

Some have been up on You Tube for a while....and nobody's doing anything about it...so....fill yer wellies as they say.

Bad news is my favourite Pertwee story runs out somewhere around episode 3 of the show. The Daemons. But apart from State of Decay and that I've not come across an incomplete story yet!

The first season of Baker is on there in it's entirety, from Baker's debut right through to the end of the Cyberman's weakest story.

(I mean if the planets made of gold, if the guns are made of gold, if everything is made of gold....and that'll do a cyberman good...why not make the bullets out of gold.)

(Don't even start mean on The Sontaran Experiment!!!)

mooks

Don't forget it's The Runaway Bride tomorrow, the trailers look fantastic.

I just saw the final episode ( in the states) with Rose/Billie Piper...a bit sad. Does Tennant stick around for another year? What's the new sidekick like?

dr_wu said:
I just saw the final episode ( in the states) with Rose/Billie Piper...a bit sad. Does Tennant stick around for another year? What's the new sidekick like?

Tennant does stick around for next season, but we haven't seen the new companion yet (well, the actress who plays her was Cybermen-ised last series, but we haven't seen her in her new role).

I'm just praying Catherine Tate doesn't decide to stick around. I know, I should wait till I've seen it.

gncxx said:

I'm just praying Catherine Tate doesn't decide to stick around. I know, I should wait till I've seen it.
Potentially the biggest turn off, since Bonnie Langford. :shock:

To be fair to Catherine Tate, I don't care for her comedy characters much but she is a good actress. With La Langford, we had quite a few years of Violet Elizabeth Bott/Crackerjack/Give Us A Clue baggage to get past, but at least with Tate it's only a year or three of bleedin' Lauren and her foul-mouthed Nan. Remember how many people slagged off Billie Piper before she surprised us all?

Give her a chance.

stuneville said:
To be fair to Catherine Tate, I don't care for her comedy characters much but she is a good actress. With La Langford, we had quite a few years of Violet Elizabeth Bott/Crackerjack/Give Us A Clue baggage to get past, but at least with Tate it's only a year or three of bleedin' Lauren and her foul-mouthed Nan. Remember how many people slagged off Billie Piper before she surprised us all?

Give her a chance.

Agreed, im looking forward to tonights episode :D

So.....Tate was the women in the wedding dress in the TARDIS at the end. According to bbc online she's only doing a special episode and someone named Argeyman will be the new companion when series 3 starts.

Well, that was rip roaring fun. Was it just me or was the score a bit overbearing at times? Aside from that and the rather muddled and convoluted plot (got a bit tangled in the middle, but straightened itself out in the end) it was fun. Oh, and Tate was great. And glimpses of the next series look fantastic. New assistant looks great, and I thought for a second I saw sontarans till I noticed they had pig or rhino heads (with suits much like the pig alien from Aliens of London), and of course a certain black Dalek. Still reckon the surprise 'big bad' is going to be The Master.

Nice. Especially after all that Torchwood nonsense of recent weeks.

ghostdog19 said:
Was it just me or was the score a bit overbearing at times?

Me too. That's something that's really annoyed me about the new Who, I often find it hard to hear what's going on because of the "background" music. Or maybe I'm just becoming a grumpy old git :)

As for the rhino creatures... maybe they've reimaged the Sontarans.

Well, the plot was a bit standard (aliens invade the Earth part 123), but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Catherine Tate was a bit shrill, but not as bad as I was fearing, and the spider lady was a great creation.

As for the trailer for next series, it's whetted the old appetite, and I too was hoping for Sontarans when I saw those guys. All it lacked was a "look who's back" image other than a black Dalek, because we knew they'd be back, after all.

Anyone know if Stephen Fry has really written an episode this time?

gncxx said:
Anyone know if Stephen Fry has really written an episode this time?
Doctor Who Season 3 Episode list:

EP1: Smith and Jones - Russell T. Davies
EP2: The Shakespeare Code - Gareth Roberts
EP3: ? - Russell T. Davies
EP4/5: ? - Helen Raynor
EP6: ? - Stephen Greenhorn
EP7: ? - Chris Chibnall
EP8/9: ? - Paul Cornell
EP10: ? - Steven Moffat
EP11/12/13: ? - Russell T. Davies

So, no sign of the promised Stephen Fry episode. Likely 'official' explanation? Budget.

Nice to see a two parter from Paul Cornell. Sad to see only 1 episode from Steve Moffat (who's done some of my favorite episodes from the series and just wish he did more).

bigphoot1 said:
ghostdog19 said:
Was it just me or was the score a bit overbearing at times?

Me too. That's something that's really annoyed me about the new Who, I often find it hard to hear what's going on because of the "background" music. Or maybe I'm just becoming a grumpy old git :)

As for the rhino creatures... maybe they've reimaged the Sontarans.

I didn't mind the music although it does seem to split opinion down the middle. As for the episode it was good, not great but it did what it was supposed to do and give us an hour of good fun.

ghostdog19 said:
So, no sign of the promised Stephen Fry episode. Likely 'official' explanation? Budget.

It was actually announced quite a long time go that Fry would not be doing it as he was too busy.

Gordon

Back