• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

Wow - 'Gridlock' was great. Those FX must have cost a bomb, though.

Picked up on the Mega City One comparisons (Mo-Pads) pretty early - which RTD duly acknowledged in DWC afterwards. Didn't realise that the bowler-hatted chap was inspired by Max Normal, however.

A great story, all round. It looked amazing, and had great performances. Even a special effect like the Face of Boe ... his demise was actually quite touching, and you really did get the impression (mostly by the voice - who did that, I wonder?) that this was a creature of great wisdom and age.

The first three shows have been great. Bodes well for the rest of the series, I hope.

barfing_pumpkin said:

Picked up on the Mega City One comparisons (Mo-Pads) pretty early - which RTD duly acknowledged in DWC afterwards. Didn't realise that the bowler-hatted chap was inspired by Max Normal, however.
And you all doubtless spotted these two:
wood_med.jpg

trying vainly to radio for help at the beginning of the episode?

Peripart said:
barfing_pumpkin said:

And you all doubtless spotted these two:
wood_med.jpg

trying vainly to radio for help at the beginning of the episode?

They were my first spot of the episode, do I get a free pair of jeans for being post 501 or is that just an urban legend ?

Did anybody else get Star Wars flashbacks?
"There is another Skywalker...er...timelord" :cross eye

And that's now the last dalek...for the third time? If there's as many last timelords as last daleks...

Anyway, why can't they go visit Gallifrey? Was it balefired out of existence? Then why's the doc still there? Shouldn't he fade away like in Back to the Future? Or am I just thinking about this stuff too much?

And are the cat-people evolved cats or cattish-looking aliens? The kitten-babies suggest the former...

And where do I know the kidnapper guy from? He looked kinda familiar.

alytha said:
Did anybody else get Star Wars flashbacks?
"There is another Skywalker...er...timelord" :cross eye

200AD, Judge Dredd, MegaCity 1, mobile trailer culture, actually. An almost direct rip off. But, no Judges, of course.

Don't forget the idea of a big underground tubular motorway is right out of Nemesis the Warlock.

Bit of a mishmash of a plot tonight, but they're excused as it was the first part of two. Those Daleks don't seem to be aware that they're a design classic, so let's hope this "evolution" is temporary.

Sure have come a long way from the McCoy rubber monsters era....or have we?

Still kudos for setting a story in this unvisited era of the Doc's on screen travels. (Tennant wants to do a early 80's new romantic story apparently Cue cameo from Le Bon...swoon!).)

And one of the Sunday red tops (so it must be true) has Kylie playing a cyber-woman temptress in the Crimbo special! Two reasons to tune in then!

mooks

PS One question...why did the Darleks need slaves? And why turn them into pig men?

EDIT - Kylie Minogue not Bob Kylie. (Though that would be scarier!)

Moooksta said:
PS One question...why did the Darleks need slaves? And why turn them into pig men?

Extra pairs of hands to do the lifting carrying and abductions (like the Robomen In the Dalek Invasion of Earth). I guessed the pig thing was to do with them experimenting with their genetic hybridization techniques.

Timble2 said:
Moooksta said:

Extra pairs of hands to do the lifting carrying and abductions (like the Robomen In the Dalek Invasion of Earth). I guessed the pig thing was to do with them experimenting with their genetic hybridization techniques.

If we are spotting sci-fi influences then the genetically engineered pig as slave worker appears in the Revelation Space books:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Factions_i ... Space#Pigs
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Characters ... ce#Scorpio

That is what I thought of when I saw the trailer and nothing I saw convinced me otherwise.

They own up to an influence from Island of Doctor Moreau:

www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/episodes/2007/f ... _304.shtml
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daleks_in_ ... references

And if it makes some viewers check it out then it is a good thing.

Interesting factoid from the first link:

Sec is the first Dalek ever to wear shoes.

barfing_pumpkin said:

They aren't half quick at Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gridlock_% ... references

From Wikipedia:
In the Radio Times, Russell T Davies revealed that this episode will feature "1930s New York, Pig Men, sewers, showgirls and the Empire State Building". He also tells viewers to "be prepared to see the Daleks as you've never seen them before."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daleks_in_ ... references

I was hoping for Daleks doing a Busby Berkely dance routine with dancing pigs. Ah well, there's always next week :)

Did anyone else think the human-dalek looked a bit Lovecraftian? You know Cthululululululululuthuthul (or how ever it is spelt). Lovecraft was writing in the 1930s wasn't he - could he turn up as a minor character next episode?

I think this serires is getting better as it goes on!

I just wonder if the dalek-human will be replacing the daleks in future episodes as I believe the BBC can only use the daleks from three years due to some deal with Terry Nation's family.

I hope that's not true! Mind you, there's only three proper Daleks left if last week's episode is to be believed.

No, the other Daleks are going to turn on him because he's no longer pure Dalek and, I suspect, one of them may take over the black casing.

Terry Nation's estate aren't going to not renegotiate the rights, there's no money in it for them otherwise.

austen27 said:
Did anyone else think the human-dalek looked a bit Lovecraftian? You know Cthululululululululuthuthul (or how ever it is spelt). Lovecraft was writing in the 1930s wasn't he - could he turn up as a minor character next episode?

I'd definitely like to see that.

I recently read on Wikipedia that The Great Intelligence is named as Yog-Sothoth in one of the spin-offs to the series - link. I only follow the TV series, so can anyone elaborate on it?

Interesting episode..although that blondie was incredibly annoying. I bet the daleks would have found her too stupid to become a pig-slave.

austen27 said:
Lovecraft was writing in the 1930s wasn't he

Most of his lone writing was done pre 1930. He did collaborate on a bit after 1930 though! He died 7 years after the Doc's story takes place.

Hmmmm interesting question strikes me...The Doc's meet Shakespear, HG Wells and Vincent.

Did he ever meet Lovecraft in one of the novels?

And if not....why not?

mooks

PS There I go again giving out free ideas to the BBC Drama department!

Interesting episode..although that blondie was incredibly annoying. I bet the daleks would have found her too stupid to become a pig-slave.

Seen as how the doctor is in the habit of meeting famous people is the Blonde Tullulah Bankhead the actress? She would be from the same time period (born 1902 - Died 1968) and she was very famous?

feen5 said:

Seen as how the doctor is in the habit of meeting famous people is the Blonde Tullulah Bankhead the actress? She would be from the same time period (born 1902 - Died 1968) and she was very famous?

'Fraid not. She was in London in 1930 and didn't return to the US until 1931.

I'm wondering if 'Frank' is going to turn out to be a famous 'Golden Age' SF writer - Isaac Asimov was in New York in 1930 but as he was only ten years old at the time, I doubt it's him..... Any other candidate/s?

TheQuixote said:
I recently read on Wikipedia that The Great Intelligence is named as Yog-Sothoth in one of the spin-offs to the series - link. I only follow the TV series, so can anyone elaborate on it?

Thanks for the link - the more I think about it the more I see a Lovecraftian world view emerging in the "whoniverse".

I'm wondering if 'Frank' is going to turn out to be a famous 'Golden Age' SF writer - Isaac Asimov was in New York in 1930 but as he was only ten years old at the time, I doubt it's him..... Any other candidate/s?

I was thinking along the lines of Orson Welles!? Shame they couldn't write his 'War of The Worlds' radio broadcast into things.....

heinlein was in the navy at the time, so i guess you could have him turn up there... dick wouldn't work unless you fudged his timeline by about 15 years, edgar rice burroughs might be a candidate... ditto william s burroughs, if thye're up for an oesoteric kook...

Timble2 said:
Moooksta said:

Shades of the Ogrons, perhaps?

Ah, tonights' was like a comfortable pair of slippers, we knew fine well that the hybrid would be overthrown after about fifteen minutes and he was! Although I predict we'll be thoroughly sick of Rose references by the end of this series.

Mark Gatiss before the cameras next week.

gncxx said:
Ah, tonights' was like a comfortable pair of slippers, we knew fine well that the hybrid would be overthrown after about fifteen minutes and he was! Although I predict we'll be thoroughly sick of Rose references by the end of this series.

Mark Gatiss before the cameras next week.

One Darlek left to come back another day of course.

Next weeks monsters look good - very "Species" don't you think?

Back