• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

Looks like new Daleks have had too may pies to me...

Anyway, why did Churchill call the Dr? Did I miss some vague explanation there?

wairddeb said:
Looks like new Daleks have had too may pies to me...

Anyway, why did Churchill call the Dr? Did I miss some vague explanation there?

Churchill first called him when the Ironsides (Daleks) first turned up/were 'invented' by Bracewell as he was unsure of them at that time - the Doc arrived a month AFTER the phone call, and by that time Churchill had accepted them.

Hogarth999 said:
Churchill first called him when the Ironsides (Daleks) first turned up/were 'invented' by Bracewell as he was unsure of them at that time - the Doc arrived a month AFTER the phone call, and by that time Churchill had accepted them.
That seems to be one of the Doctor's "things" this season - every episode, he turns up later than promised/expected. Maybe the season will end on a cliff-hanger, with him arriving with a tube of Polyfilla, just too late to fix the crack in the universe.

Hogarth999 said:

Wow, all that was explained during the show?

sherbetbizarre said:
Hogarth999 said:

Yes, but as the explanation took all of about 5 seconds its no surprise that you missed it. :D

sherbetbizarre said:
Hogarth999 said:

Not in that manner, but it's explained during assorted conversations.

Just watching on iPlayer now.

Noticed about 11 mins in behind Amy's head a 'British Steel Corporation' logo...

Would someone not have realised that was not in existence in the 1940s... Setting blunder, intentional clue to something related to timelines?

Anyhow, if you can take your eyes off Ms Pond, it is just to the right in this screen grab...

4534478033_885f3496aa_o.jpg

McAvennie_ said:
...Anyhow, if you can take your eyes off Ms Pond..
Hmmmmmmm....?

Oh!

Right. Yeah. I bet Outpost Gallifrey has people on hunger strike about that already. TBH that's the great thing about DW - everything of that ilk can be explained by "Temporal anomaly" / deliberate red-herring / something to make obsessives from Outpost Gallifrey go on hunger strike / etc.

If it's on Outpost Gallifrey, it's in some parallel timeline, Outpost Gallifrey shut up shop last year in this Universe, however, the usual suspects migrated to Gallifrey Base....

I don't think they've spotted that one yet...

Timble2 said:
If it's on Outpost Gallifrey, it's in some parallel timeline, Outpost Gallifrey shut up shop last year in this Universe, however, the usual suspects migrated to Gallifrey Base....
Ah! That explains a lot.
Ta :).

Managed to drag my eyes away from Ms. Pond long enough to find this:
Corus is a subsidiary of Tata Steel, part of India's Tata Group, one of the worlds largest steel producer's, with headquarters in London, England.

The Company was formed from the merger of Koninklijke Hoogovens N.V. with British Steel Plc on 6 October 1999. It was once a constituent of the FTSE 100 Index, but was taken over by Tata in 2007.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_St ... ration_Plc
So why a reference to a company that's been merged/taken over twice in the last eleven years? Especially as British Steel itself was only founded in 1967, 27 years after the Blitz?

I'm talking about our consensus timeline, of course. Clearly, the timelines are seriously screwed in the Doctor's universe...

Anyway, back to Ms. Pond: I'm sure I've met her - or would have liked to have met her...

Or maybe I did meet her, in an alternate timeline...! :madeyes:

Apart from the crack, and the Doctor's consistent lateness this season, the gimmick that shows most promise to me this year is the idea that Amy doesn't remember the Daleks. I'm assuming that she doesn't remember Cybermen, either, or any of the other alien invasions of Earth, and we will get to find out why as the series progresses. It could be interesting or, of course, it could be leading up to another tedious "the world is ending" 2-parter at the end of the season!

I'd like them to go to a planet other than Earth for a change. I'm sick of it always being Earth and Britain.

In the 70s and 80s sci-fi shows always used to have an episode where they would go to a weird futuristic advanced civilised society, kind of like the Romans in space. Everyone would wear cowls with hoods that come together in a point in the middle of their head and all would seem serene but the Doctor would suspect something wasn't right - signified by a scruffy looking peasant ranting and raving about the terrors lurking below before being dragged off by centurion-esque guards.

Amy would then get separated from the Doctor and would see something shocking off camera and get kidnapped. And then eventually the Doctor would fathom that the utopian society was just a front and the intelligent leaders were actually shape shifting lizards or something and the indiginous population were being forced to work in underground mines in order to keep the elite class in their elegant palaces.

Or are we too good for such a generic sci-fi tale these days. If we are then shame on us...

McAvennie_ said:
I'd like them to go to a planet other than Earth for a change. I'm sick of it always being Earth and Britain.
...and it's usually Cardiff, or Cardiff-masquerading-as-London!

A quick question - when does Amy come from? Simple, you might say: 2010. But I'm not sure.

In the first episode, the Doctor hurtles to Earth, having defeated the Master and regenerated, and lands in Amy's garden. She's a young girl, but the Doctor, having said he'll be right back, takes 12 years to return, or something. After defeating the Big Giant Eyeball, he once again says "I'll be right back", but this time, takes two years. So there's at least 14 years between the Doctor landing and Amy entering the Tardis.

The assumption I've made, of course, is that the Doctor first met Amy in 2010. On the other hand, he did so much pointless hopping around when he was about to regenerate, setting Jack up with Alonso and things like that, that we can't say for sure when he finally crashed back to Earth. Although he did fly over the O2 Dome, so he can't possibly have met Amy before 2000, which means that the current Amy dates from about 2015 at the earliest.

Most importantly, should I care?

I wasn't really paying attention in Episode 1, but why was she seemingly living alone? Where were her parents when she was parading around the garden with a strange man in the dead of night?

Peripart said:
Although he did fly over the O2 Dome, so he can't possibly have met Amy before 2000, which means that the current Amy dates from about 2015 at the earliest.

Most importantly, should I care?

The TARDIS could have slipped back in time between the flight over London and crashing in Amelia Pond's garden!

I think Moffat's timeline is 1997 (crash), 2008 (giant eyeballs), 2010 (Amy skips with Doctor).

No, you shouldn't care or you'll find yourself on Doctor Who message boards with people screaming that Moffat has destroyed the Daleks!

McAvennie_ said:
I wasn't really paying attention in Episode 1, but why was she seemingly living alone? Where were her parents when she was parading around the garden with a strange man in the dead of night?
I thought she was supposed to be an orphan, living with her aunt - who didn't seem to be around either.

It was this sort of weirdness that reminded me of Alice in Wonderland, I suppose.

McAvennie_ said:

Her parents were gone (I'm not sure if she's an orphan or they've just left her). She's living with an Aunt, who goes out and leaves her alone (off partying or some such).

It remind me a bit of Peter Pan, as well as Alice in Wonderland.

Would someone not have realised that was not in existence in the 1940s... Setting blunder, intentional clue to something related to timelines?

I'm rubbish at picking up on things like that, but according to the geeks over at Outpost Base or whatever it's called now, there's a quite inordinate number of anachronistic things in the 3 stories so far.

BlackRiverFalls said:

I'm rubbish at picking up on things like that, but according to the geeks over at Outpost Base or whatever it's called now, there's a quite inordinate number of anachronistic things in the 3 stories so far.

Gallifrey Base - http://gallifreybase.com/forum/

:)

Hogarth999 said:
The newly designed Daleks looked AWFUL - they should have renamed the episode:

Victory of the fat, hunch-backed Smarties Daleks.

Dreadful re-design. Pointless too as the last revision was perfect.

Wasn't there a story called "Evolution Of The Daleks"?

Or did I just dream that after eating too much sugar?

Woah, a cliffhanger! That's why this episode felt like a preamble, because it was part one of two. One really great bit, though, with Amy trapped in the shuttle and the Weeping Angel emerging from the screen, like in Ring. But the TARDIS makes that sound because The Doctor keeps the brakes on?!

Now after DW Confidential I'm wondering whether River Song really is the wife. But never mind that, has anyone played the game?

Bloody annoying that the Beeb saw fit to stick a bloody banner for finding bloody Dorothy right across the Doctor's big defiant finish :evil:

I love the Angels. They scare the bejaysus out of me. Even when you know what they're going to do, they still make you jump. Made me scream about half a dozen times.

Ravenstone said:
Bloody annoying that the Beeb saw fit to stick a bloody banner for finding bloody Dorothy right across the Doctor's big defiant finish :evil:

I don't think we got that in Scotland, the influence of Mr Moffat, maybe?

All while the Doctor's giving that great speech, "There's one thing you never ever put in a trap, not if you want to survive...blah blah". Bloody banner across the bottom of the screen about Finding Dorothy. Like I give a flying monkey's toss about that crap. :evil:

gncxx said:
Now after DW Confidential I'm wondering whether River Song really is the wife. But never mind that, has anyone played the game?

the game is not available till June

Gordon

Excellent episode almost ruined (for viewers in England) by some thoughtless fool putting up that GN trailer.

Complain? You bet I did! Feel free to do the same:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/forms/

and make sure that you ask for a written response - they HAVE to oblige and it annoys them mightily. :)

Back