• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Elon Musk's Starman Conspiracy

e82.jpg

One thing I did notice from the live feed, and you can see it in the above image from Bigphoot, is that the car freezes and then thaws with every rotation. As it turns away from the sun, the bodywork gets a coating of ice which then melts again when the sunlight hits it. It's quite beautiful really.

Water ice, or summat else?

If the former, where's the water come from? Has that bottle of Evian in the footwell exploded? :)

...and if the ice turned to liquid on being heated by the sun wouldn't it then boil away into space? How does this cycle repeat itself?

I'm not trying to invent a fatal flaw in the conspiracy, just don't see how this would work.

If the former, where's the water come from? Has that bottle of Evian in the footwell exploded? :)

...and if the ice turned to liquid on being heated by the sun wouldn't it then boil away into space? How does this cycle repeat itself?

I'm not trying to invent a fatal flaw in the conspiracy, just don't see how this would work.
There are ice crystals floating about everywhere in Earth orbit.

Good question. I'm not sure but I watched it yesterday on the live feed. It was a thin coating of frost (rather than ice) which was visible on the red wings and black bonnet of the car. As the car rotated back into the sunlight, you could see the frost evaporate/melt.

I've had a look now and I can't see it so I'm not sure how it works. I can see from the internal shot of the car that the black trim along the top of the windscreen looks frostbitten or frozen now. A little bit more grey than the black trim of yesterday.

to everyone asking if its real, sadly yes, humans have found an way to pollute space

Presumably we are all familiar with a concept which might be called 'DBA'... Discredit By Association (or, also, Distraction By Affiliation): the entire internet-invigorated Flat Earth trope is somewhere between a parable and a pantomime. As that (just) it raises some intriguing points, but shouldn't be allowed to become the multilevel deflector that it so easily becomes.

This is an interesting set of responses
https://www.livescience.com/61690-why-spacex-roadster-looks-fake.html - I am intrigued as to why a chemist was approached, and proudly-cited. Presumably at times like this, physicists are all too busy polishing their Foucault's pendulums to answer Skype calls and emails.

Riddle me this: I question pixels always before particles, and unpick pictures before paradigms. As ever, we see the Earth from space, blue and beautiful. Why do we never see the daylight terminator? Why, although there is no up/down in space, do we always see the Earth represented as rotating in its own equatorial plane, and not in a skew-turn? And why do we never (or exceedingly-rarely) see that 30% of the Earth's surface that is land?

Even if we accept that stars will not be seen (due to relative light levels, and lens limitations...I presume that will be the current as-ever excuse explanation) it is interesting that we never ever seem to see pictures of the Moon and Earth, together, from space.

Anyway, I don't want to deflect this thread from Teslas that the owners of have said aren't there anyway...
all those pictures exist

There are ice crystals floating about everywhere in Earth orbit.

Good question. I'm not sure but I watched it yesterday on the live feed. It was a thin coating of frost (rather than ice) which was visible on the red wings and black bonnet of the car. As the car rotated back into the sunlight, you could see the frost evaporate/melt.

I've had a look now and I can't see it so I'm not sure how it works. I can see from the internal shot of the car that the black trim along the top of the windscreen looks frostbitten or frozen now. A little bit more grey than the black trim of yesterday.

To be serious I must admit I don't quite get this; what size are these ice crystals? Aren't they quite large and very very very frozen? Wouldn't they just bounce off an object such as a speeding space car? How and why would they adhere to the skin of the car? - it's surely not like tiny aerosol droplets in the atmosphere condensing then freezing.

Isn't this condensation on the Apollo 17 command module? I believe this was on the way home, which would have been about 7 days into the mission, and assume the frozen droplets coating the shell are from waste dumps and perhaps some water from attitude thruster fuel?
257771main_as17-152-23393_full.jpg

Someone (who sounds a bit like Chris Eubank) explaining how far the Falcon Heavy will get and the transfer window ..

To be serious I must admit I don't quite get this; what size are these ice crystals? Aren't they quite large and very very very frozen? Wouldn't they just bounce off an object such as a speeding space car? How and why would they adhere to the skin of the car? - it's surely not like tiny aerosol droplets in the atmosphere condensing then freezing.
Just watching the live feed now:

As the car rotates, you see loads of small white particles shooting off from behind the car and into space - I presume that this too is ice. The sun is passing from the left hand side of the camera (mounted on the bonnet) to the right. When it gets to the right hand side and begins to illuminate the front of the car - check out the background. Is is frozen water vapor from the course corrective burns?

Last edited:
For those who think the booster rocket landings looks a little like CGI. Here's a private video from the landing.
Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

Last edited:
An even worser Starman conspiracy theory, presented by a Redditer.
----------------------------------------------
Elon Musk Space X MURDER PLOT? Bizarre Reddit post suggests sinister reason behind launch
A WILDLY outlandish Reddit post suggests a dead body was in the car strapped to the three super-powerful SpaceX Falcon Heavy rockets.

By Paul Harper/Published 7th February 2018

The world watched in awe as a Tesla Roadster with a mannequin “Starman” in the front seat was blasted into the solar system on the rockets.

But it didn’t take long for online commentators to come up with bizarre conspiracy theories, surrounding both the payload and intentions of SpaceX founder Elon Musk.

One Reddit user claimed the sleek vehicle contained a corpse in a post entitled: “Elon Musk got away with the perfect murder by sending the body to Mars.”

Another user wrote: “Elon Musk launched a car into space with a dummy in a spacesuit in the driver's seat.

1230206.jpg

Even more text at https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/world-news/680294/Elon-Musk-Spacex-Falcon-Heavy-Reddit-murder-plot

Elon Musk Space X MURDER PLOT? Bizarre Reddit post suggests sinister reason behind launch
A WILDLY outlandish Reddit post suggests a dead body was in the car strapped to the three super-powerful SpaceX Falcon Heavy rockets.

The world watched in awe as a Tesla Roadster with a mannequin “Starman” in the front seat was blasted into the solar system on the rockets.

But it didn’t take long for online commentators to come up with bizarre conspiracy theories, surrounding both the payload and intentions of SpaceX founder Elon Musk.

One Reddit user claimed the sleek vehicle contained a corpse in a post entitled: “Elon Musk got away with the perfect murder by sending the body to Mars.”

Another user wrote: “Elon Musk launched a car into space with a dummy in a spacesuit in the driver's seat.

1230206.jpg

Even more text at https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/world-news/680294/Elon-Musk-Spacex-Falcon-Heavy-Reddit-murder-plot
shades of apollo 1 ?

1230206.jpg

At some time in the future a sufficiently advanced alien race find the car and have the technology to bring the victim back from the dead. They question him and then set off backwards in time looking for Elon Musk...

Last edited:
The car is expected to return to being visible via telescope around 2073 or so, and will apparently be clearly artificial in telescope view. I'm predicting it right now, ufo, complete with youBraintube holovideos on the conspiracy.

The car is expected to return to being visible via telescope around 2073 or so, and will apparently be clearly artificial in telescope view. I'm predicting it right now, ufo, complete with youBraintube holovideos on the conspiracy.

Get ready for the stories in the Daily Express about how it will crash into the Earth, cause massive earthquakes, severe winters and immigration.

Get ready for the stories in the Daily Express about how it will crash into the Earth, cause massive earthquakes, severe winters and immigration.
By 2073, it the Daily Express exists at all it'll be as a archival feed to 150 year old brains in tanks, that'll be all that's left of it's readership, to provide them with a familiar virtual environment.

Elon Musk's Neuralink company is trying to develop the brain:computer interfaces that could make this possible...

...assume the frozen droplets coating the shell are from waste dumps and perhaps some water from attitude thruster fuel?

Is is frozen water vapor from the course corrective burns?

Aha! Maybe that's the explanation then...it's a shame the car couldn't have been observed and photographed by an Earthbound or space-based telescope just to clear up any lingering doubts.

Does anyone else find Mr Musk surprisingly inarticulate in interview situations? I wonder if he's 'being approachable' or if OMG he's like totally like that and junk.

Does anyone else find Mr Musk surprisingly inarticulate in interview situations? I wonder if he's 'being approachable' or if OMG he's like totally like that and junk.
2018-02-10 20.24.31.png

Elon Musk is somewhere between an implausibility and an impossibility. I find every aspect of his purported background and business trajectory utterly unconvincing.

But I do not know what having that perspective means.

He feels like a plastic paradox. A South African Canadian American who, despite being a graduate scientist / engineer sounds unlike either.

Again: I do not have any real explanation as to how he can fully be what he is represented as being, or is able to actually do what he seems do.

He has the same 2-D insubstantiality of Richard Branson. Steve Jobs. And Trump. The modern era mystery men, who appear suprahumanly-empowered to make unguarded comments, create wealth, and be famous (at least partly) as a cult fashion.

Maybe his actual function is to (a) act as spokesman - albeit a weirdly uncharismatic one and (b) keep writing the cheques.

I don't doubt that having a name that would do a Bond villain proud helps with the public image. And the above tweet about the flamethrowers is quite funny.

About the flamethrowers, does anyone remember that 1950s movie "Them!" which culminated in a showdown with giant ants in the storm drains of Los Angeles? Maybe it was based on real events and Elon Musk's Boring company has uncovered a surviving giANTs' nest beneath the city...

Yes indeed. This would explain Musk's panicked joyride escape to Mars in that suspended animation suit...and his replacement by a malfunctioning android.

Back