• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I'm shocked to read this. Enola was friendly and very knowledgeable with seemingly anything and I was always amazed by his talents as researcher.

I shall, as the rest of you who have known him better and longer, truly miss his presence.

From reading through his online CV type thing of 'who am I' and all the things he did etc, I'm surprised he had any time to come here as well!
http://www.enolagaia.com/UMUArchive/Home.html
Holy crap! I always figured he was a high powered scientist somewhere, but I had no idea. Thanks for posting this. What an interesting character, but we already knew that part.

I've only been popping in every now and then, recently, (a fact which itself did not escape @EnolaGaia's attention). I can't help wishing that I hadn't popped in just now, and then, a bit like a certain patch in the hundred-acre wood, I could maintain that an erudite polymath would forever be proffering wise words and corrections, and wiping flecks of dust off the bottles behind the bar of the Troll's Head. We were so lucky to have his enthusiastic presence. The world seems a poorer place this evening.

Last edited:
He could always be relied on to bother tracking down details others couldn’t find & I was frequently amazed at his breadth of knowledge on a range of subjects. Always the voice of reason & devoid of bullshit, he also seemed a warm & open personality with a wry sense of humour.

We'll all benefit from the research he gathered and placed on here for years to come, and I imagine posters of the future will too. I think you've also hit the nail on the head about the scope of his personality (at least how he came across on here!) From experience, I've found that people who are extremely intelligent and academic are sometimes devoid of warmth and humour, but he clearly wasn't (on second thoughts perhaps he was often humouring us :p).

I too looked at his website earlier and wondered how he even had time for this place. I feel slightly... inadequate now. :hahazebs:

I feel absolutely wrecked by hearing this sad news. He was a totally amazing & unique individual, whose advice I valued so highly, whether on the forum or via private message.

(If he did pass on Monday, I genuinely happened to be thinking about him, quite suddenly, I think in the early evening (probably just a subconscious nagging concern that I hadn't seen him post in a while; but I can't help wonder if I somehow sensed his departure- I'm very shocked by this :-/ )

Well, Randy's gone.

It almost feels like a breach of protocol to refer to him as such on the stage side of the curtain, but he was never overly reticent when it came to biographical detail, and he only preferred to employ the Enola Gaia moniker here owing to his awareness of the miasma of mirth that sometimes accompanies the name 'Randy' on the British side of the Atlantic.

We've taken a day to gather the facts and ruminate on what it would be appropriate to release; I hope the following goes some way to satisfying everyone's natural curiosity without offending the sensibilities of his 'real-life' friends and family.

Randy was taken to hospital in the first week of December. He knew there was something seriously amiss ('I realised I was compromised' being his memorable phrase), but until the doctors informed him he'd had multiple heart attacks in a single day, he didn't know how bad it was.

Two weeks of boredom, medical tests, and food that was 'hard to take' ensued—the unpleasantries being compounded by a lack of Internet access—but he was glad to be home before Christmas, planning his revised lifestyle, and even tinkering with the controls here. I don't intend to quote his words extensively, but I suspect he would have contributed the following message (for fellow moderators) to the Christmas Thread if he had not been unwell and doubly plagued by extreme weather and power/connection outages:

In a curious way my illness has fostered more of the old fashioned basic "peace on earth; good will to men" Xmas holiday attitude in me and my contacts than I've seen in years. I've noticed more people ignoring Yuletide flash and frivolities and expressing more serious consideration of and affection for those they know. The messages and conversations incoming from folks who've not proactively communicated with me in years have been an unexpectedly comforting phenomena reminiscent of the ways we used to give more attention to expressing thanks for our families and friends.
[...]​
I'd (...) request that everyone note and / or reflect upon how the peace and happiness takes the edge off the unrelenting existential edginess that's plagued us the last few years. This is the most important part of the season's meaning, and we'd do well to keep spreading genuine peace and happiness into the coming year.

Alas, he didn't make it that far; on Tuesday old friends in daily contact reported that he had relapsed and died at home in Ohio over the New Year.

His surviving relatives are mostly cousins, and as far as we know no funeral or memorial service has yet been planned. I have just been sent a contact address for them and intend to write with our collective condolences tonight, taking cues for content from this thread. Any additional information I receive will, of course, appear here.

I had thought first to write of Randy's fearsome intelligence, but on putting that down in pixels, I realised at once that it was inaccurate, for though he was undoubtedly a very clever man, his tone was seldom condescending and he rarely spoke down to others. It's certainly true that he could leave me dumbstruck at times with his flights of logic, but this was always unintentional; he was no obscurantist and, as he might have put it himself, he did not view intimidation as a constructive tool.

All of the moderators had a good relationship with him. Being hyper-efficient certainly helped, but he was also very accommodating and would patiently lay out the complex technicalities of why we were liable to be overrun with Russian spybots or some mercenary hacker crew if we didn't take steps A, B and C—and as you can see, this mesage board is spotless, spamless, and enviably well-ordered!

It took only a couple of weeks for the two of us to become pretty much totally simpatico in terms of the aims and management of the board, and I couldn't have asked for a more supportive partner. He took an interest in my family and offered the kind of frank and incisive 'over the horizon' advice (a favoured term of his) that can only bridge the generational gap if expressed carefully and with love.

I shall miss him.

As chance would have it, he told me the song he 'might want played' at his funeral:

Farewell.

I just wondered, whether Enola's funeral would be additionally streamed online or not? I realise that it'd be highly-improper to ask the family for any details at such a sad time, but I would think that there'd be huge motivation amongst long-distance remote former colleagues/faculty (as well as far-off friends of all varieties) to be able to 'see him go'.

I suppose such a hope is doubtful, but not impossible in the current semi post-Covid present: he was so fascinated by the human-tech interaction that he might even have pre-requested that such an observance be acted upon. We can only hope...

In any case, I feel sick deep in my soul about this. My only consolation is that his wonderfully-described previous near-brushes with death and intimate personal experience of TLRs etc will have given him an additional confidence when having to take that last step from here, into wherever and whatever he has finally brought his immeasurably-talented self.

Does anyone know what happened? I'm hoping he didn't suffer. I never met the man but I can honestly say that I feel devastated. Did he know he was ill? I'm hoping he wasn't alone. Was it sudden? What happened?

images.jpg

Does anyone know what happened? I'm hoping he didn't suffer. I never met the man but I can honestly say that I feel devastated. Did he know he was ill? I'm hoping he wasn't alone. Was it sudden? What happened?
We, as in the admin team know some details, however we are currently in touch with people close to him and ultimately it's up to them how much or little we disclose.

I can say his health had been an issue for a little while, and he had spoken with us about it. For the time being I think that's about as far as I can say, though.

We, as in the admin team know some details, however we are currently in touch with people close to him and ultimately it's up to them how much or little we disclose.

I can say his health had been an issue for a little while, and he had spoken with us about it. For the time being I think that's about as far as I can say, though.
Thank you.

Was Randy Lloyd?

I believe so. When Lloyd first appeared I thought who is this odd bloke who's joined the forum to serve us drinks in the Troll's Head... :loopy:

After a couple of posts I thought it was probably the mods, then a further few posts I realised it had to be Enola, given the posting style. :nods:

Just watch I'm wrong and it was an odd bloke afterall!

I feel his loss. He was a bit like a forum Dad to some of us. I'm prompted to post this song in his memory. I don't know if he was a mariner, but then again who is. This song celebrates the narrative that is a life. When the story ends so abruptly, we find ourselves bereft of its company and craving more. Anyway, listen to Sting and The Wild Wild Sea.

@Yithian the song link you listed isn't available to me... can you let us know in text what the song you linked is?

Here is a song I leave that might have tickled the gentlemen in question based on his age and taste as far as I can suss it, a fairly obscure psychedelic band called The United States of America, with their song The Gardens of Earthly Delights. Based on Enola Gaia's deep and varied interests, he surely found our reality to be a verdant field for a mind and a life to roam free. Now untethered from our plane, here's to hoping he's traipsing through gardens of unearthly delights:

As I said yesterday on this thread, I couldn't bring myself to read anything, let alone post anything for the rest of the day.

For most of the day, I actually thought that the forum should be shut down for a week. Of course, I know Enola wouldn't have cared what I did or didn't do and I'm sure he certainly wouldn't have wanted the forum closed down for him.

My concern now though is- does God have a big enough dictionary and encyclopedia? He's going to need it if he wants to converse with him.

@Yithian the song link you listed isn't available to me... can you let us know in text what the song you linked is?

Here is a song I leave that might have tickled the gentlemen in question based on his age and taste as far as I can suss it, a fairly obscure psychedelic band called The United States of America, with their song The Gardens of Earthly Delights. Based on Enola Gaia's deep and varied interests, he surely found our reality to be a verdant field for a mind and a life to roam free. Now untethered from our plane, here's to hoping he's traipsing through gardens of unearthly delights:

Pilgrim's Progress by Procol Harum.

I don't want to make this a music thread, but I happen also to know that this was one of Randy's favourite songs. It may prove an antidote to maudlin thoughts—because it's infectiously upbeat.

Last edited:

Pilgrim's Progress .. the image to click on is Procol Harum - A Salty Dog .. I know Procol Harum is the band name so one of the other bits is the song title, Pilgrim's Progress I reckon.

Excellent choice - he totally would have dug my pick then!

I've found an old PM from when we were discussing music:

Enola Gaia said:
It's more than "Whiter Shade of Pale". The combination of well-crafted songs and Keith Reid's surrealistic lyrics (in most cases) made Procol's music something different.

I've cited "Pilgrims Progress" (Salty Dog) as a song I might want played at my funeral. There's no better song about hatred / revenge than "Still There'll Be More" (Home).

Matthew Fisher's organ is orchestral all on its own in "Shine On Brightly", and the massive concept piece on the B side of that same-titled album ("In Held Twas I") has some lyrics that have always struck home with me - e.g., ...

For the lesson lies in learning
And in teaching I'll be taught
For there's nothing hidden anywhere
It's all there to be sought.

and ...

For the sin of self-indulgence
When the truth was made quite clear
I must spend my life amongst the dead
Who spend their lives in fear.

Nobody - not even Hendrix - could wring more dread or pain out of a single note or chord-slash than the early Robin Trower on Repent Walpurgis. Hendrix was the era's king of making a guitar wail; Trower was the era's king of making a guitar growl ominously or scream in agony.

Yes - Days of Future Passed was another important album in the proto-progressive evolutionary path that didn't originally receive much attention. I bought it when it first appeared, but mainly because I'd like the Moody Blues' first album and I thought the orchestral experiment was interesting enough to explore. I found it in the classical music section of a department store's record section. This was late 1967 - circa 4 to 5 years before "Knights in White Satin" rose from the dead as a major hit in the early Seventies.

Though I respected and often listened to much of their subsequent music, the Moody Blues bored me pretty quickly after Days of Future Passed.

I could say the same about (e.g.) Yes and King Crimson through the Seventies, as the "art rock" genre shifted from innovative and quirky songs to extended exercises in instrumental virtuosity. As a working musician myself, I admired these later practitioners, but they didn't move me like the early song-crafters. PH was of the song-crafter school.

All the best ...

- Randy

I have just been sent a contact address for them and intend to write with our collective condolences tonight, taking cues for content from this thread. Any additional information I receive, will, of course, appear here.

The following has been sent.

I am acutely aware that it sounds very (perhaps excessively) formal, but we are not--none of us to my knowledge is--acquainted with the Enola's family, and they very likely have no clue that we as a community even exist.

Dear Mr [Omitted],​
I hope that you will forgive the unsolicited contact.​
I have been sent your email address by your late cousin’s friend [Omitted] in order that I might convey both my personal condolences and those of the membership or the Forteana Forums, an online forum of which Randy was a member for some eighteen years; indeed, that understates the matter considerably: he was part of the core membership, and since 2018 served as a member of our staff. I regret that apart from what I knew of Randy's late brother, I am not at all acquainted with your family, but I should like, all the same, to offer you and his other relatives our deepest sympathies on your loss.​
Although Randy and I never met in person, we spoke on a daily basis and were in a ‘virtual’ sense friends. Randy alerted us to his health problems in the wake of his hospitalisation prior to Christmas, but it has still come as a great shock to learn of his death; when last we spoke, he seemed in good spirits and was making plans for his rehabilitation. Since we announced his death to our membership 48hrs ago, we have seen a long succession of tributes to a man equally liked and respected for his generosity of spirit and prodigious intelligence—[Brief personal anecdote omitted]
If you should be so inclined, I am certain that Randy’s other virtual colleagues and fellow board members would be very glad to hear of any plans there might be for a funeral or memorial service, although, of course, I quite understand if such arrangements are to be kept within the family.​
With sympathy at this difficult time​
[Real Name Omitted]​

Last edited:
Back