• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Foods Nobody Dislikes (Or Everybody Likes)?

main-qimg-f3adeb8cc4cdcbc4f9b6e1937c4fd119
J. Wellington Wimpy - one of my heroes :)

And yes, I love burgers. What's not to like? Multiple food groups, no plates or cutlery needed.

I miss the Wimpy food chain as well. International grill, mmmm....

They are still going, though not many branches left. There's one in Peterborough, which is the last Wimpy I visited about 20 years ago.

Wherever I've travelled around the world, including places where vegetarianism doesn't have the customer base that it does in the UK (I'm thinking Croatia and France), I know I can always rely on getting a tasty pizza.
Not surprisingly, the best I can recall was in Italy though, in Jesolo, near Venice.

Wherever I've travelled around the world, including places where vegetarianism doesn't have the customer base that it does in the UK (I'm thinking Croatia and France), I know I can always rely on getting a tasty pizza.
Not surprisingly, the best I can recall was in Italy though, in Jesolo, near Venice.
When I lived in Hungary we'd have the most delicious pizzas, each served with a separate little jug of thin tomato sauce, or possibly diluted tomato puree. A vegetarian pizza was topped with vegetables like broccoli. Bloody fantastic food.

They also served ice-cold apricot juice to drink with it. Hard to buy here in Blighty.

Still going, well not exactly strong, but hanging on:
http://locations.wimpy.uk.com/

there isn't one in Cromer which surprised me.
There's one in Birkenhead. Must go there next time I'm visiting Liverpool. They still do not only the International Grill but a Pork Bender. Happy happy joy joy :)

The last one I et in was in Brentwood Essex about 15 years ago. There used to be one in Victoria Circus Southend and that was my kid treat, like they go to Maccy D's now.

I'll find Golden Egg are still going next.

Last edited:
J. Wellington Wimpy - one of my heroes :)

And yes, I love burgers. What's not to like? Multiple food groups, no plates or cutlery needed.

There was a long-established Wimpy in my home town until a few years ago. In fact I do believe it was our first local fast food restaurant.

It was part of a row of Victorian shops that somehow survived the town centre's otherwise comprehensive 1950s and 1980s redevelopments.

The lavvies're upstairs and if you go up there and look out of the window you can only see older buildings and roofs, like a time slip. :omg:

And wow, there are still four Wimpys in Southend borough. Including the one in Hamlet Court Road that wife#2 and I used to use regularly in 1984ish when we lived just round the corner.

I knew it was a mistake to leave. But alas there is no going back.

It needn't be one's favourite food, but have you ever met a person who actively disliked Yorkshire Puddings?
My sister. I think she associates it with the cremated beef joint served up by my mother. Me, I love the stuff (though not the shoe leather meat.)

Peanut butter - no thank you. Bananas are Satan's toenail clippings. My stomach won't take heavily spiced food so curries are out - I spent all afternoon feeling ill after an enchilada from the Rainforest Cafe, and there was another uncomfortable afternoon at a conference the day after a burrito in a cafe in Edinburgh.

I'll eat most foods but draw the line at oysters and things like cockles and whelks. Curiously, I have eaten snails.
I've only recently started eating fish and chips again. I used to be a fairly frequent customer of my local chippy but I was enjoying some one evening when a sudden pain began and I started sweating profusely. I had a trip to hospital in an ambulance, followed by various scans and X-rays. The next morning I had a five hour operation for an upside-down stomach. The fish and chips weren't to blame but it took a long time to get over the association in my mind.

Interesting international food discussion.

When it comes to pizza, the secret is in the crust and there are so many of them like flat bread, thick, thin, so on.

Once I tried a whole grain pizza crust and to me it tasted like cardboard, so a disappointment.

My wife who grew up in Brooklyn claims that New York water makes the best breads, pizza crusts, and bagels.

Since I grew up in the south, my parents feed us fried chicken and barbecue, no pizza.

Egg n chips nectar of the gods.
:omr:
I rarely eat chips and if I do they're oven chips or even wedges. Skin on of course.

The chips will be put out and heavily salted/vinegared, then the soft-fried eggs will be placed on top of half of them and ketchup liberally applied to the other half.
Mushy peas may be added alongside.
:cool:

Reactions: RaM
Mushy peas are Satan’s bellend brie. They are eaten by solely by the kind of jut-jawed, high-decibel, reverse-snob northerners who’ll wander around a Waitrose intoning “ ‘Ow mooch? ‘Ow mooch?”

maximus otter
Er... they’re peas. You like a pea doncha max?..

It seems no meal is complete in England with out Mushy Peas ?
'Mushy' peas is what tinned ones're called. The traditional chip shop version - always made fresh on the premises - were known as 'sloppy' peas.
They are dried marrowfat peas, reconstituted and boiled to the required consistency. I sometimes cook them at home.
They can be served with most dishes and made up into tasty soups.

In fact I have some chopped chorizo in the freezer which I've just offered to make up into spicy pea and ham soup for Techy.
He is keen. :)

Reactions: RaM
It seems no meal is complete in England with out Mushy Peas ?
Personally I would only eat them with fish and chips. I do like them though. I don't think they fit the definition of foods everyone likes though, I know lots of people who hate them.

I'd forgotten that verse!

I usually eat it with a thick slice of ham. I think it's also eaten in a stottie cake up north, a stottie cake being a sort of round flat bread.

I'll find Golden Egg are still going next.
Ye Gods I'd forgotten about the epitome of fine dining in Watford - seem a life-time ago.
Wimpy returns to Aylesbury next month.

Back