• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Yep, and probably the most famous filmed footage of "UFO's" ever.... but no-one went missing afterwards :)

So... half true? Quarter true? I suppose we'll see, it is a bit of a cheek to so blatantly rip of TBWP, but they won't be the first and won't be the last.

Coherence

A group of friends are having a dinner party on the same night that a comet is passing by the Earth and we all know how well that goes. Cue lots of realities mingling and the group encountering multiple alternate universe counterparts. It's pretty well acted and stars Nicholas 'Xander' Brendon, in a role that features some brutally honest autobiographical dialogue.

I'd recommend that one too, it gets truly mindbending by the end. Heck, it's mindbending 20 minutes in.

I can thoroughly recommend the following films:-

Absentia (AKA The Tunnel)

A husband goes missing and is about to be declared legally dead by his wife after seven years with no hint as to his whereabouts. All is not as it seems and there is an incredibly effective supernatural cause underlying everything. I can't go into too much detail because the less you know going in, the more you'll enjoy the film. It is a slow burn though.

Coherence

A group of friends are having a dinner party on the same night that a comet is passing by the Earth and we all know how well that goes. Cue lots of realities mingling and the group encountering multiple alternate universe counterparts. It's pretty well acted and stars Nicholas 'Xander' Brendon, in a role that features some brutally honest autobiographical dialogue.

Creep (2014)

Goes from absurd to disturbed during the 1hr 17min runtime. It is found footage, but don't let that put you off. Mark Duplass is brilliant in it.

Yeah Creep is great fun

I too thought Coherence was a good watch!

I came across an interesting film review called The Lost City of Z however it doesn't seem to available to buy yet. For those of you, like me, who didn't know of Percy Fawcett read here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percy_Fawcett

I haven't read too much of the wiki page as I have the book by David Grann on it's way and I'm sure I will enjoy it more.

Has anyone seen the film? I'm not holding my breath for a great film as I've seen Charlie Hunnam cast in the lead role, his acting is awful.

Any other films or books like this I should check out? I've seen Herzogs Wrath Of God, but no other expedition type films off the top of my head.

TLoBC terrified me as a kid. Not so much as an adult, though it is atmospheric and has picturesque locations.

Wax, or the Discovery of Television Among the Bees

Wax_or_the_Discovery_of_Television_Among_the_Bees.jpg

Christ alone knows what ^this^ film is all about - I haven't watched it 'properly' yet (if such a thing is possible). However it's definitely highly weird, and highly regarded to boot. I'd not heard of it before today but like the fact that it was the first indie flick to be cut on non-linear.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wax_or_the_Discovery_of_Television_Among_the_Bees

http://www2.iath.virginia.edu/wax/

William Burroughs is in it.

I too thought Coherence was a good watch!

I came across an interesting film review called The Lost City of Z however it doesn't seem to available to buy yet. For those of you, like me, who didn't know of Percy Fawcett read here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percy_Fawcett

I haven't read too much of the wiki page as I have the book by David Grann on it's way and I'm sure I will enjoy it more.

Has anyone seen the film? I'm not holding my breath for a great film as I've seen Charlie Hunnam cast in the lead role, his acting is awful.

Any other films or books like this I should check out? I've seen Herzogs Wrath Of God, but no other expedition type films off the top of my head.

I'd recommend The Lost City of Z. Some wooden scenes. An almost unrecognisable Robert Pattinson is probably the best thing in it in terms of 'acc-ting', but it is an interesting story.

The Lost City of Z: So they do make films like that anymore. Plenty of derring-do and stiff upper lips but Colonel Percival Fawcett was no imperialist or racist and admired the Amazon natives and publicised how they were exploited. The film covers his life from 1905 in ireland to his disappearance in the Amazon Jungle in 1925.

No giant snakes but Fortean touches include Fawcett and his sidekicks encountering an Opera production on a rubber plantation and a fortune teller predicting Fawcett's future at the Somme Front in 1916. His obsession was The Lost City of Z and it cost him and his eldest son their lives in 1925. The film suggests a possible, even likely explanation for their disappearance.

Fawcett's defence of the theory of Ancient Civilisations in the Amazon led to mockery at the Royal Geographical Society but Fawcett had the last laugh when ruins and geoglyphs were found in the Amazon Rainforest over the last ten years. Some archaeological were in the area suggested by Fawcett as the location for the City of Z. 8/10.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1212428/

Night of the Demon the first of the bigfoot slasher movies.

That reminds me - I was watching an old episode of Endeavour the other week (the one with the tiger - 'Prey'?) and at a fairly crucial point, one of the characters blurts out "It's in the trees... it's coming!". I was immediately thrilled that a script-writer with clearly excellent taste had managed to smuggle such an iconic reference onto the screen, where 90% of viewers wouldn't even notice it. Then it occurred to me that they might just have been an avid Kate Bush fan. Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course, but it's not quite as exciting.

EDIT: Yes, I know the film I quoted isn't that NotD........

Just a heads-up - they have The Legend Of Hellhouse on Netflix.

Exactly the type of semi-cheesy horror film that used to play on Saturday afternoon TV. :D

There was a similar film of which the title is now lost to me - the only thing I can remember is that it had a similar plot and one of the actresses was a redhead who had one of those 60's cone hairstyles. Does any one remember it, by chance?

Just a heads-up - they have The Legend Of Hellhouse on Netflix.

Exactly the type of semi-cheesy horror film that used to play on Saturday afternoon TV. :D

There was a similar film of which the title is now lost to me - the only thing I can remember is that it had a similar plot and one of the actresses was a redhead who had one of those 60's cone hairstyles. Does any one remember it, by chance?

I assume they cut the ghost, erm, pleasuring bits when they showed it in the afternoon?! Richard Matheson wrote the original book as a more violent version of Shirley Jackson's The Haunting, which was also filmed, but in black and white and neither Julie Harris nor Claire Bloom have red hair anyway, so I assume it's not that? It's also a more famous film than Hell House!

10 cloverfield lane, i didn't expect to like it much but was surprised, two great performances from the leads and more twists and turns then a twisty turning thing. 7/10

I really enjoyed 10 Cloverfield Lane, John Goodman is terrifying in it.

I must get round to watching that, Goodman generally ends up in pretty decent films.

Back to classic Brit TV, I saw this recently and thought it pretty good:

I thought the ending was fairly conclusive in a very subtle way, but maybe I made too many assumptions and it was just meant to be opaque? Either way, it's the kind of stuff that's sadly unlikely to ever be made again.

I assume they cut the ghost, erm, pleasuring bits when they showed it in the afternoon?! Richard Matheson wrote the original book as a more violent version of Shirley Jackson's The Haunting, which was also filmed, but in black and white and neither Julie Harris nor Claire Bloom have red hair anyway, so I assume it's not that? It's also a more famous film than Hell House!

Well, I recall them showing the shadowy statues bit, but yeah, some of the cut-out parts came as a surprise to me when I watched it the other night!

Having seen it now as an adult, the thing I appeciated most about the movie was how Roddy MacDowall makes everything more nervy just by showing up. Also, his glasses. :D

It's not The Haunting I'm thinking of (which I've seen loads of times), it seemed more distinctly British. Perhaps it was one of those Hammer films? With young, fashionable people converging on a haunted castle or that sort of thing? The cone (not beehive, mind you, but cone) haired girl's hairstlyle was the thing that I recall most clearly. My sister said at the time that women would get insects and mice inside of those hairdo's back then, which is probably why it stuck in my mind. :eek:

That looks familiar, but the one I'm thinking of definitely has a swinging sixties flair - Marianne Faithfull notwithstanding. Maybe I've conflated two different films in my memory and now will never get to the bottom of it.

I spend all Sunday doing image searches for "women in Hammer Horror films" and will have to erase my browser history now. :eek:

Oh, this is good:
http://www.avclub.com/article/warner-bros-being-sued-because-conjuring-movies-ar-253140

Basically, the makers of those Conjuring movies are being sued by the author who wrote a book on them for ripping him off. But it gets better, because he also says the subjects, the Warrens, were outright liars about their experiences, so any claim to the films being true is essentially fraudulent.

I know from what I've read about the Enfield case that the film made about it was particularly egregious in just making shit up, so we could be in for an interesting court debate, assuming Warners don't just settle with the author.

Mind you, Hollywood's cavalier attitude to the facts in its "based on a true story" movies, even the non-supernatural ones, might be making a lot of producers nervous!

Well, I recall them showing the shadowy statues bit, but yeah, some of the cut-out parts came as a surprise to me when I watched it the other night!

Having seen it now as an adult, the thing I appeciated most about the movie was how Roddy MacDowall makes everything more nervy just by showing up. Also, his glasses. :D

It's not The Haunting I'm thinking of (which I've seen loads of times), it seemed more distinctly British. Perhaps it was one of those Hammer films? With young, fashionable people converging on a haunted castle or that sort of thing? The cone (not beehive, mind you, but cone) haired girl's hairstlyle was the thing that I recall most clearly. My sister said at the time that women would get insects and mice inside of those hairdo's back then, which is probably why it stuck in my mind. :eek:

Always wondered if the Beehive hairdo filled with Maggots was true or not.

https://books.google.co.nz/books?id...=onepage&q=beehive hairstyles+maggots&f=false

Snopes has it as spiders and other creepy crawlies. In the American version the girl/women dies due to insect bites :eek:

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/vanities/hairdo.asp

http://twonerdyhistorygirls.blogspot.co.nz/2014/07/the-truth-about-big-hair-of-1770s-part.html

Back