• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean Headlines

Edit to add that in Scotland I'd probably say shinty unless I thought about it. I think there's an annual Irish/Scottish match.
Slimmer weapons ... er ... sticks!

You've probably never watched English school girls playing hockey .. I did as a school boy and those girls were SAVAGE BRUTAL with their sticks on their opponent's shins.
So what sport is it in Canadian:)?

I can name two which are considered "female" sports:

Field hockey which uses hockey-like sticks (but heavier) and yes shins etc are attacked very vigorously, which is played on grass. I played it in phys ed. and always chose defence, which I was good at and I was not involved in any of the forwards' shin cracking. That is actually one sport I enjoyed.

Ringette, which I have never played, which is on ice with a stick and a ring. I have the impression that it was devised when women were not allowed to play ice hockey.

Of course women play full ice hockey. One of my SILs played into her 40's (amateur league). She always told me that women were quite aggressive players. Think again field hockey, but on ice.

And I'm still in the dark about hurling.

Last edited:
Grey squirrels are Hamas of squirrel world

Grey squirrels have been labelled the “Hamas of the squirrel world” by a Member of Parliament.

The DUP’s Jim Shannon compared the animal to the Palestinian militant group, designated a proscribed terror group in the UK, as MPs considered ways to protect red squirrels.

https://www.expressandstar.com/news...p-grey-squirrels-are-hamas-of-squirrel-world/

maximus otter

He;s nuts

hamassq.jpg

The American red squirrel is aggressive and territorial. Though smaller than the eastern gray squirrel, it will chase a gray squirrel away from feeders.

So the reds and grays of UK are opposite temperament. Interesting.

I saw one a couple of years ago. Cute little thing he was, but he kept the other gray squirrels away. Which was ok with me. One squirrel vs three at feeders saves more feed for the birds.

I think it's a bad look for MP's to liken Hamas with squirrels at the current time. It smacks of trying to be 'clever' and 'relevent' while being actually incendiary.
You beat me to it Storm! I thought that as soon as I read it on the Beeb pages!!!

I'm not entirely sure that 'human rights concerns' can be labeled as 'woke'. A water cannon is meant to be a non-lethal crowd dispersal system, not a weapon, regardless of it's name.

The idea that the water would be sprayed at a lower pressure and be lukewarm brought a wry smile to my face. Ice cold it were when I last faced water cannon, glad we were of it too, only chance we had to have a wash.

Well, I've never been sprayed with a water cannon. Shot with a .22 slug and an arrow (on different occasions, mind).
Any crowd control weapon are meant to be unpleasant. They make you uncomfortable enough to clear the area, yet not so much that if you 'accidentally' hit 'civilians' then you injure them. If you consider being knocked over by, say, a fire hose might seriously injure you then even using a garden hose or a fire extinguisher is a deterrent to hanging about.

I thought hurling (other than barfing violently) was played on ice with brooms and rocks.
Or is that the Welsh version?
And the slippy slidey shoes you forgot the slippy slidey shoes!! I'd love to have a go at curling! Those shoes look real good fun!
Or is that the Welsh version?
oooops Never mistake the Welsh for the Scots ... mind you that's not as bad as mistaking either of them for the English! You have been warned!!!

Be a great thing to rally the patients into forgetting their ailments! Could catch-on!
That was with Dean (a nurse) and that's exactly why he'd do it but to convince a depressed old lady into taking her medication. He brought a stick of chalk in one day, drew a hopscotch grid outside, wheeled her out and she had to judge me and Dean on who was the winner. She was laughing her head off but it got her taking her meds. :chuckle:

That was with Dean (a nurse) and that's exactly why he'd do it but to convince a depressed old lady into taking her medication. He brought a stick of chalk in one day, drew a hopscotch grid outside, wheeled her out and she had to judge me and Dean on who was the winner. She was laughing her head off but it got her taking her meds. :chuckle:
Or she gave him a difficult time with taking meds just to see what antics he'd engage to humour her:bthumbup:

Back