• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean Headlines

Last week I "read" the headline SWIMMER BREAKS THIRD WORLD RECORD and my very first thought - so help me - was "When did they begin keeping special swimming records for the Third World?"

Not really a fortean headline-
"Police to be tested for Drugs"
(it does make me wonder why they aren't already tested; in our job we've had random testing for fifteen years or more)
but it is the image of the copper in the bottom right hand corner that made me chuckle.
http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/8828/policeel2.jpg
I'm sure he's a nice bloke, but the picture makes him look like a prime candidate for testing.

Get Rid of the Police!

Earlier this evening I "read" the following headline: Bush Says We Must Dispense with the Police.

The way I should have read it was: Bush Says We Must Dispense with Politics.

What the heck, it's the same root. <g>

I heard on the local news this afternoon that two dogs in a dog-walking-park had been set upon by a very hostile and aggressive "giant black rat."

I paid closer attention an hour later - it turned out to be a "large black LAB."

Personally, though, I've never encountered a nasty Lab.

OldTimeRadio said:
I heard on the local news this afternoon that two dogs in a dog-walking-park had been set upon by a very hostile and aggressive "giant black rat."

I paid closer attention an hour later - it turned out to be a "large black LAB."

Personally, though, I've never encountered a nasty Lab.

I presume they meant labrador. I cant see how anyone could misktake a labrador for a rat.

ramonmercado said:
I cant see how anyone could misktake a labrador for a rat.

Ramon, it's really easy when you're stupid.

Which is to say that the broadcasting station got it right both times. I misheard it as "rat" the first time.

P. S. Labrador Retrievers are commonly referred to simply as "Labs" over here.

Also, the association "Lab Rat" might have played a part.

rynner said:
Also, the association "Lab Rat" might have played a part.

Rynner, you're a genius and I think you've got it.

It's funny how the mind stores things. I remember one evening around 15 or 20 years ago when I was trying to think of the word "satrap"....but couldn't. In its place, though, my mind kept throwing up "rat trap" and "Saran Wrap."

ramonmercado said:
OTR

I thought you meant the reporter made the error!

So now the dreadful truth stands revealed at last. I can neither hear clearly nor write intelligently either. What is left for me but the Old Forteans' Home?

OldTimeRadio said:
ramonmercado said:
OTR

I thought you meant the reporter made the error!

So now the dreadful truth stands revealed at last. I can neither hear clearly nor write intelligently either. What is left for me but the Old Forteans' Home?

Suddenly I see you as Granpa Simpson.

ramonmercado said:
Suddenly I see you as Granpa Simpson.

Why you young whippersnapper I'll have you known that I....cough! cough! stagger floop

The article makes me think of Stalin's foreign minister V. I. Molotov, who in 1940 attempted to reassure the West that those weren't bombs which the Russians were raining on Helsinki but foodstuffs, Christmas presents and supplies.

Even the wily Soviet had a hard time keeping a straight face on that one.

Back