Forum Functions & Functionality: Technical Problems & Known Issues

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Changed my password earlier and was obliged to do the two-step verification with the authentication code.
That went well, but then I was booted out and told to do it all again.
When the email arrived with the verification code I did everything, but the code was rejected, presumably because another email with a different code had turned up, followed by several more.
I was eventually quick enough to bang the code in before the next arrived!
If you were using a mobile connection, and you were moving around, it might be that your apparent location shifted so that the authentication couldn't be validated against the most recent location data.

Sit still! :evillaugh:

We can't afford the fancy new AI tech that recognizes and accommodates the irony of a fast-moving snail.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
If you were using a mobile connection, and you were moving around, it might be that your apparent location shifted so that the authentication couldn't be validated against the most recent location data.

Sit still! :evillaugh:

We can't afford the fancy new AI tech that recognizes and accommodates the irony of a fast-moving snail.
Nope, I was on my own WiFi at home.

brownmane

off kilter
Just a general question because I'm curious. What are the "robots" under the guests viewing list? Is this where, for example, Ggl collecting links for subjects that people inquire about? I only mention the one, because it was the one name that I recognized. Kind of feel like I'm being spied on.:atom:

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Just a general question because I'm curious. What are the "robots" under the guests viewing list? Is this where, for example, Ggl collecting links for subjects that people inquire about? I only mention the one, because it was the one name that I recognized. Kind of feel like I'm being spied on.:atom:
Yes ... These "bots" are "crawlers", which automatically scan websites for changes and updates. They can only access public content (e.g., the text posted to threads). They cannot access (for example ... ) your member account records.

The objective of the Google and other search engine bots is to scan for links and updates on public content so they can maintain a timely index of what's available at this site.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
When I try to access the Forum from my PC at Work I'm told that my IP address has been banned (since the beginning of Jan) - sorry, don't know how send a PM and already tried the 'Contact us' button.

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
When I try to access the Forum from my PC at Work I'm told that my IP address has been banned (since the beginning of Jan) - sorry, don't know how send a PM and already tried the 'Contact us' button.
Ok, will get a look at that and get back to you.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
... don't know how send a PM and already tried the 'Contact us' button.
Clues, please ...

Did the 'Contact Us' dialogue not work at all?
OR
Did you send the staff a message using it?
OR
Were you unable to access the message entry at all?

EnolaGaia

Staff member
I’ve used that button in the past because of a password issue but never got a reply so I emailed Stu. This was just before Christmas.
Thanks for the clues. I ran a series of tests, and it appears the Contact Us feature is "sending", but whatever's sent is not being "received" by the staff.

There's a chance this has been (not) happening for up to circa 4 - 5 weeks now, which would mean the disconnect began around the time of your December incident.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
The apparent breakdown in staff contact comms is still an open issue. Our tech support has been notified.

Meanwhile ... I've been advised that Bad Bungle can access the forum once again. Whatever it was that was blocking access yesterday seems to have resolved itself. That aspect of the situation is now "case closed."

EnolaGaia

Staff member
On my phone at work, looking at my alerts just now, and the time of each had the hour/minutes followed by 'tomorrow'!
Were you viewing alerts here on the forum (via the Web), or were you reviewing alert notifications sent by email?

EnolaGaia

Staff member
There are no recorded server-side log entries that would explain this.

My first guess is that your early login a couple of minutes prior to 0600 (your time) caused our server (in North America; up to 8 hours "behind" your time zone) to timestamp your latest alerts with respect to the different / future date.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
There are no recorded server-side log entries that would explain this.

My first guess is that your early login a couple of minutes prior to 0600 (your time) caused our server (in North America; up to 8 hours "behind" your time zone) to timestamp your latest alerts with respect to the different / future date.
I didn't log in before 6am. My laptop is always logged in.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
I didn't log in before 6am. My laptop is always logged in.
You had a recorded logon at circa 0558 (your time) this morning from your static IP address. Maybe something triggered your laptop into coming out of sleep mode and it automatically re-established a connection to the forum.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
You had a recorded logon at circa 0558 (your time) this morning from your static IP address. Maybe something triggered your laptop into coming out of sleep mode and it automatically re-established a connection to the forum.
Oh right, yup, it's a bedside Mac so maybe I prodded it to look at the time and it connected.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Now I can't log in on my bedside Mac. I keep putting in the activation code but it's rejected.
The root of the problem--we think--is that you are logging in from so many different I.P. addresses.

I'm going to guess that this isn't a choice and that your ISP or phone company just keeps on assigning new ones, multiple times per day. We can 'whitelist' your existing ones, but the logs show that your connections keep coming from new ones and that you seldom return to old ones. Many users have one or two 'main' IP addresses that make up 99% of their connections with the site.

None of this is your fault, but it is the reason that the automatic security functions keep springing up.

We'll do all we can!

EnolaGaia

Staff member
There are no security measures that should be blocking any of the IP addresses escargot has used for the last 15 hours, during which time she's accessed the forum from 4 different IP addresses.