• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Forum Functions & Functionality: Technical Problems & Known Issues

In the past wholesale member post deletions done in spite have resulted in entire threads being rendered indecipherable, incapable of continuation, removed from public view, or completely deleted from the forum database with no hope of recovery.

As Stu mentioned, measures to prevent such wanton damage have been in place for years.

Off topic.

How do you expand the profile posts to enable you to read the full post ?

How do you expand the profile posts to enable you to read the full post ?

Click on the ellipsis ( ... ) to the right of the posting timestamp at the bottom of a given Profile Post. This will give you a pop-up displaying the full text of the given Profile Post plus any replies that have been made to it.

I'm unable to post on the Chat>Advertising / Business Mottos & Slogans thread - just not happening. No problems with any other threads. Summat's up with it..

I'm unable to post on the Chat>Advertising / Business Mottos & Slogans thread - just not happening. No problems with any other threads. Summat's up with it..

Me, too.

Thanks for the heads-up.

We'll investigate.

Now working again with no changes made.

Temporary glitch?

Now working again with no changes made.

Temporary glitch?
We used to have a whole range of things we'd say when that happened (back when i was running tech support for a large-ish company) I think 'Sunspots' was possibly the most ridiculous.

And there were no bugs, just 'undocumented features' - which started when a customer genuinely found an undocumented feature, something we had implemented for our own use in very particular circumstances but which we had decided was unmaintainable in general use.

We used to have a whole range of things we'd say when that happened (back when i was running tech support for a large-ish company) I think 'Sunspots' was possibly the most ridiculous. ...

My usual choices were "neutrino strike" and "Murphy's ghost."

Still not working for me. My post is admittedly fairly trite. The thread may be refusing on those grounds.

I assure you there's no quality control here!

Will look into it.

Still not working for me. My post is admittedly fairly trite. The thread may be refusing on those grounds.

Clues, please ...

What are you attempting to post?

Have you attempted to post the same content every time you've been prevented from posting?

What - exactly - is happening when your posting attempt fails? Are you getting an error message? If so - what does it say?

Bizarrely, I have lost the previous and next page buttons at the top of each page, plus the pagination indicator for multi-page threads. I'm using
Chrome OS Version 84.0.4147.33 (Official Build) beta (64-bit). I can replicate the error via an incognito window, so it presumably does not depend on whether I am or am not logged in, nor on the various browser plug-ins I normally have operating.

Screenshot 2020-06-05 at 21.23.05.png

Bizarrely, I have lost the previous and next page buttons at the top of each page, plus the pagination indicator for multi-page threads. I'm using Chrome OS Version 84.0.4147.33 (Official Build) beta (64-bit). I can replicate the error via an incognito window, so it presumably does not depend on whether I am or am not logged in, nor on the various browser plug-ins I normally have operating. ...

That OS beta release is only 2 days old, so it's the most likely suspect for the cause of the weird behavior.

Are you using a notably out-of-date version of Flash?

That OS beta release is only 2 days old, so it's the most likely suspect for the cause of the weird behavior.

Are you using a notably out-of-date version of Flash?
I agree on the likely culprit being the latest release of my OS. AFAIK, Flash is disabled by default in Chrome OS. A quick check suggests I haven't changed the default settings for this site:
Flash_blocked.png

I'd revert to the latest stable release of Chrome OS.

I'd revert to the latest stable release of Chrome OS.
Sage advice, as ever. I'm not touching anything under the hood until Tuesday morning at the earliest, though - got a big assignment due on Monday. Which is why just now I'm kvetching about very minor user interface issues...

Clues, please ...

What are you attempting to post?

I was attemtping to reply to Yith's post No 38

Have you attempted to post the same content every time you've been prevented from posting?

Yes

What - exactly - is happening when your posting attempt fails? Are you getting an error message? If so - what does it say?

No error message - when I hit 'post reply' the cursor changes to the 'hand with pointing finger' but nothing happens.

I just tried posting just 'another test', & again nothing..

No error message - when I hit 'post reply' the cursor changes to the 'hand with pointing finger' but nothing happens.

And when he first reported the problem and I went to test, clicking 'Post reply' did nothing. It didn't even begin to move the 'progress bar' my browser uses to indicate loading.

And when he first reported the problem and I went to test, clicking 'Post reply' did nothing. It didn't even begin to move the 'progress bar' my browser uses to indicate loading.

Do you mean you had to enter "test" and hit Post Reply twice (more?) to make your test message appear just the once?

Do you mean you had to enter "test" and hit Post Reply twice (more?) to make your test message appear just the once?

No, I tried to enter that text multiple times over a couple of minutes with no effect.

Click--wait thirty seconds--stop and refresh--repeat.

Actually, if I recall, it wasn't 'storing' the non-posted text in the entry box as it usually does; I had to retype it each time.

I then returned five or ten minutes and it 'went in' first time.

Whatever was happening didn't register here on the forum end of the connection(s).

There are no records of the transactions you two were attempting to perform, and no record of errors correlating with either your member IDs or the relevant timeframes.

IMHO the most likely explanation is that some sort of connection / communication issue manifested in the paths between your respective devices and the forum server was preventing the server from even "hearing" your request for updated action.

If the Post Reply inputs had "registered" (been "heard") on the server end the requested posting actions would have been processed or an error message should have been logged.

I just tried posting 'another test' again. Nothing, then cleared cookies, again nothing. I've lost interest in posting on the thread but it's odd it's the only one I've had problems with. It's taken against me.

The text stays in the box but doesn't upload.

Last edited:
I just tried posting 'another test' again. Nothing, then cleared cookies, again nothing. I've lost interest in posting on the thread but it's odd it's the only one I've had problems with. It's taken against me.
The text stays in the box but doesn't upload.

Have you flushed your browser cache? Maybe you've been working with (e.g.) a corrupted or ineffective locally-resident copy.

I seem to recall. ages ago I had a similar problem with just one thread. Somehow the problem resolved itself. It couldn't be reproduced by mods.

Twitter posts are not showing. I'm using Vivaldi v. 3.0.1874.38 (Stable channel) (64-bit)

Edit: tested it on Google Chrome Version 83.0.4103.97 (Official Build) (64-bit), which shows Tweets.

Vivaldi is based on Chrome. Seems I'll have to wait for an update of Vivaldi.

Last edited:
Yes, the board was offline for a little while.

No, we're not yet sure why.

Phew! I feared that the Mods Himalayan Redoubt had been struck by Bubonic Plague.

Back