• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

General Website Queries: 2018 Onward

Interestingly, this Trump thread is exceedingly popular.

1,450 responses and 58,691 views.

I don't see many Fortean only threads getting so many hits.

Maybe there is a message in there somewhere.

Further up this thread you will find the information that we are already looking at this and Stu will rule on his return. You have in fact just quoted it.

If it's upsetting you then stay out of it for a bit.

Frides

If you are refering to post #770, you asked me directly why I wanted the thread locked; I told you.

In light of the political aspect of the Trump conspiracy thread, I request that it be locked.

I fail to see how anyone can say it is not political.

INT21.

Sorry, I've been asleep.
Happy to oblige.

As a quid pro quo, I'd be grateful if you'd stop banging on about Muslims, immigration and women being unfortunate things to have in the world.

Go for a walk in the park. It isn't really so very bad out there.

Last edited:
I was poking around in the settings the other day and noticed the 'styles' option.

Is this something that's new since the migration, and if so what are the chances of getting the option of something with light text on a dark background?

I was poking around in the settings the other day and noticed the 'styles' option.

Is this something that's new since the migration, and if so what are the chances of getting the option of something with light text on a dark background?

Not new, but not maintained.

Frankly because we don't understand well how to tweak the templates--it isn't a matter of simply picking shades. It's very user unfriendly.

I will have a second look when time allows.

Right, I have a headache, but I've knocked up something hugely hideous as a test.

There is a style named 'Retro Glare' that can be selected. The bottom left of the page (scroll all the way down) has a small paintbrush icon with the words Forteana Forum to the right of it. Clicking here brings up alternative styles. No doubt something doesn't work or display, but I'm not confident that I'll be able to isolate the particular element you want! One problem is that I can't get our 'user statistics' displayed beneath our avatars to display, so consider this not only 'retro' but 'minimalist'!

Preview:

Screen Shot 2019-04-05 at 00.07.45.png

I'm getting LIKES for that?

It looks like Knightrider's gay cousin!

Right, I have a headache, but I've knocked up something hugely hideous as a test.

There is a style named 'Retro Glare' that can be selected. The bottom left of the page (scroll all the way down) has a small paintbrush icon with the words Forteana Forum to the right of it. Clicking here brings up alternative styles. No doubt something doesn't work or display, but I'm not confident that I'll be able to isolate the particular element you want! One problem is that I can't get our 'user statistics' displayed beneath our avatars to display, so consider this not only 'retro' but 'minimalist'!

Preview:

View attachment 16077

Just a note to say that although far from perfect this new style looks better on mobile devices.

That's quite exciting! Retro Glare looks good on my phone and 'Default Style' makes a change and is easy to read, though it is a bit 'lavender' so may not be everybody's cup of tea.

I am genuinely excited by this development!

Yes, this is already much better if you like to read the board in a darkened room into the wee hours like I do.

Exactly, and hammers batteries a bit less too.

Yes, this is already much better if you like to read the board in a darkened room into the wee hours like I do.

There's a problem with the text-input boxes.
Will address when time allows.

There's a problem with the text-input boxes.
Will address when time allows.

Now fixed.

It's fully usable, but if elements aren't functioning let me know what they are and I'll track them down.

There is a minor issue still: links are the same colour as body text, and can be difficult to spot unless they look like a URL.

No politics on this thread ?

I love it.

:):)

Having got a warning for your antics I strongly suggest that you don't repeat them.

Refer also to this post before you start to derail and clutter up more threads.

No politics on this thread ?

I love it.

:):)

The prohibition is against party politics; political philosophy is only discouraged when it is tendentious, tedious or trailing off into name-calling.

You will note that outside of the conspiracy section very few posts made over the past few years mention named parties, factions or politicians.

'Issues' we treat on their own merits. If a civil discussion flourishes, it stays; if it's all shouty chest-thumping, it goes.

Forteana: that's the stuff we foster.

Okay, I love that Frideswide look, big kiss XXX

Backs away........slowly

:rollingw: Thank you Ma'am *curtsey*

Shouldn't @alchopawns first warning have expired by now and therefore he should be on an amber warning? Not supporting him hassling Victory, just want to clarify matters.

Do warnings expire after 3 months?

Shouldn't @alchopawns first warning have expired by now and therefore he should be on an amber warning? Not supporting him hassling Victory, just want to clarify matters.

No. Amber warning period is still in effect.

A straw poll nominated multiple infractions that could have been called, adding up to enough points (demerits) to trigger an automatic ban state. Considering multiple staff attempts to reach out and request corrective adaptation had gone unheeded, there were plenty enough additional prospective points to warrant a permanent ban. We fused everything into one black ball and imposed a manual ban for 3 months.

Do warnings expire after 3 months?

Some do, some don't. Under current forum settings:

Green warning = 3 months.
Amber warning = 6 months.
Red warning = 12 months.

Incidental warnings for inappropriate Content / Language / Behavior = 1 month each.

NOTE: The stepwise Green / Amber / Red warning progression is a default option, not a mandatory protocol.

When I see postings from the 'Night Shift' ie forum members far away in different time zones, I see my local time (eg 4:27 am) on the posting. Do the posters see their local time on the Board when stuff is sent ? I'm just curious and not interweb-minded.

When I see postings from the 'Night Shift' ie forum members far away in different time zones, I see my local time (eg 4:27 am) on the posting. Do the posters see their local time on the Board when stuff is sent ? I'm just curious and not interweb-minded.

Yes. Except for the relative timestamps displayed during the first hour following a post's accretion to the forum ("A moment ago"; "25 minutes ago"), the post timestamps and other update indicators are displayed in terms translated to match the visitor's detected time zone and / or the user's own time zone settings on his / her device.

Why, when browsing on my phone, do I see some thread titles displayed in larger fonts than others?

Screenshot_20190808-165107.png

I do not get that on my phone.

Two guesses:

1) An error.
2) Larger fonts indicate unread threads or threads with new unread posts.

Back