• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Is 'Vegan Meat' Just MEAT?

Dreadful article, real sixth former stuff. What, a Hollywood celebrity is backing it? Gosh! Then despite presenting the facts about the decline in sales of faux meats it then shamelessly plugs a faux meat producer who can't make the stuff quick enough (apparently). Doesn't properly address that the biggest issue with these products is that they are ultra-processed:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/feb/12/quorn-revolution-rise-ultra-processed-fake-meat

.... but rather has some dentist who asks what the red stuff is.

Did "two-thirds" of shopping baskets really contain one of these items? Maybe in Islington but somehow not my experience when I've watched the person in front of me unloading their trolley. We knew from the outset that these products were ultra-processed but that got buried in the avalanche of the social media frenzy around all things vegan.

Not surprised, the BBC jumped on the vegan bandwagon the moment it began rolling forwards, partly because it was a social media trend and partly because of who actually works there.

Last edited:
I have tried a few vegetarian meats over the years and never found any I liked,
then I got a vegan sausage roll from the cafe at the animal sanctuary up towards
Quernmore from Lancaster for anyone local, made at the cafe there and
really did enjoy it.

This thread, along with anything climate related, are simply proxies in the culture war.

Mods - I suggest closing them all.

This thread, along with anything climate related, are simply proxies in the culture war.

Mods - I suggest closing them all.
Don't be so hasty - there are still relevant points being made.

I bought a Beyond Sausage pack yesterday. Why? Because it is now cheaper than meat (it had a 30% off for clearance)! I've always said that with the price of meat continually increasing, that I'd eventually become vegetarian. I don't eat meat every day anyway.

Meh. It was supposed to be mild Italian sausage but I don't believe that there was even any oregano in it.

It certainly had a lot of oil when cooking, but I figure it is because it has soybean protein? Idk. Still it was oily and I didn't recognize what half of the ingredients were. It's difficult enough just trying to figure out what is nutritionally sound with familiar foods, I didn't exactly feel comfortable eating it because it was oily and probably had lots of salt to give it the bland taste. The texture (other than when cooking it) was like sausage, but I'm with @Kondoru - what's wrong with just beans?

Considering that anyone following a strictly vegan diet has to take supplements to aid in nutritional components their bodies do not get from only plants, I would never be vegan.

Last edited:
I know a strict vegan when they get on my case for eating dead animals I point out that at least they are dead unlike some of the plants they eat, and that when tested with a lie detector some plants indicate stress.

[...] Still it was oily and I didn't recognize what half of the ingredients were.
That'd stop me buying the stuff.
For whatever reason - being vegan, cost etc. - if I want vegetables, pulses etc. I buy them, and not products that has them as ingredients.
For me, it's not what it looks like, or pretends to be, but what it is.
Item A: a 'burger' made with chickpeas, onions, emulsifiers (whatever).
Item B: A tin of chickpeas in water.
I'd buy the chickpeas and use my imagination to get creative.

Anybody tried any of the Moving Mountains range?

I never have until recently because they seemed too expensive, but it was reduced the other day (sausage meat burgers) so I bought it thinking that it must be one of the better ones if it's usually that much.

Bloody terrible.

I never have until recently because they seemed too expensive, but it was reduced the other day (sausage meat burgers) so I bought it thinking that it must be one of the better ones if it's usually that much.

Bloody terrible.

"Sausage meat burger" sounds pretty gross to be honest.

Bloody terrible.
Needed an inch-thick layer of ketchup on top.

Last night I was present at the Ceremony of the Marking Down at the Tesco garage.
There were four heavily discounted cartons of Alpro Not Milk which I fancied as they make brilliant smoothies.

As I reached for them the Tesco bloke said 'That's not milk! That's not milk! '
I said yeah, I know, and he kept repeating 'That's not milk!' and laughing.

Felt a sudden urge to beat the crap out of him. Asked myself, why the overreaction? :thought:

Realised he was channeling the inanity of the ex. Nobody's ever made me angry faster than he could. :chuckle:
If Ex has died out there somewhere, this is how he's haunting me. :litg:

Last night I was present at the Ceremony of the Marking Down at the Tesco garage.
There were four heavily discounted cartons of Alpro Not Milk which I fancied as they make brilliant smoothies.

As I reached for them the Tesco bloke said 'That's not milk! That's not milk! '
I said yeah, I know, and he kept repeating 'That's not milk!' and laughing.

Felt a sudden urge to beat the crap out of him. Asked myself, why the overreaction? :thought:

Realised he was channeling the inanity of the ex. Nobody's ever made me angry faster than he could. :chuckle:
If Ex has died out there somewhere, this is how he's haunting me. :litg:

You should have pointed to his crotch and said "that's not a penis."

Lorne sausage. We eat it a lot in Scotland.

The strange shape takes getting used to.

Back on track...somewhere in an old book I have a recipe for nut cutlets.

Dont pretend to be anything other than nuts and seem rather fatty.

But something you can make at home.

Many years ago I used to buy sausage meat. I couldn't recall exactly how it was, so asked MrsF and she said it came in square slices.
I remember liking it at the time, so thought that this might be similar and a change.
Yup, sausage meat is the amalgam of minced pork, flour, and seasonings. In the past whatever else was lying around, like head meat, lips, offal scraps, chicken skin and so on, went in.

Scots have sausage meat squares to fit between two slices of bread.
I was once given a load of Scottish breakfast ingredients in a carrier bag: sausage squares, bacon, black pudding, haggis and some white sliced bread that was fresh but as heavy and solid as concrete.
Techy enjoyed it all.

During the early stages of the Covid hysteria, when all the normal food was flying off supermarket shelves, l had to buy some vegan stuff (there was always plenty left on display…)

l don’t recall the name of the product, but it was a smallish microwaveable pot of a vegan curry. l do remember that the labelling insisted that it was a particularly delicious treat or indulgence.

All l can say is, if vegans regarded that as a treat, then they suffer from very low expectations. lt was like flour and water paste mixed with a few beans, which had been slightly contaminated with curry powder. l’d have felt disappointed in it as a dehydrated hiking ration, let alone as a delicacy.

maximus otter
To be fair though, a smallish microwaveable pot of anything isn't going to taste particularly good.

Back