• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Is 'Vegan Meat' Just MEAT?

Thing is, the difference between the actual product, such as toms etc., and the actual quantity required for a huge supermarket chain.
That's why I always purchase from a local greengrocer. It's not a matter of growing your own - I do - but availability.
It's not the 'food miles', it's not the organic/non-organic thing ... it's the "You want tomatoes? We got 'em!"
Trouble is there is no local greengrocer round here. A couple of "farm shops" but most of what they sell is probably from the same suppliers as supply the supermarkets. The quality isn't much different.

If you want vegetables out of season they are not likely to be much good as they have been picked before they are ready, semi frozen and shipped half way round the world to ripen on the shelf. Trouble is they don't, they go from unripe to rotten.

Then look at how they are marketed-Fresh Apples, in February. Not in the Northern Hemisphere they're not.

Trouble is there is no local greengrocer round here. A couple of "farm shops" but most of what they sell is probably from the same suppliers as supply the supermarkets. The quality isn't much different.

If you want vegetables out of season they are not likely to be much good as they have been picked before they are ready, semi frozen and shipped half way round the world to ripen on the shelf. Trouble is they don't, they go from unripe to rotten.

Then look at how they are marketed-Fresh Apples, in February. Not in the Northern Hemisphere they're not.
Heh, well, recently picked? no, but... the definition used int he US for "fresh" produce actually just means "not canned or frozen"

Not sure if this is the right thread.... the search Algorithm apparently refuses to search for "Beyond Meat".
Heh, apparently, they're financially not well off, due to competition?

Here's an article explaining Beyond Meat brand financial issues:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/07/business/beyond-meat-sales/index.html

Inflation, and the fact that it is a product that is refrigerated when there are other meat alternatives that can be stored frozen, are just a couple of problems it's coming up against.
You know, reading that article, it seems as if the main issue they have is simply that not enough people want to buy their product. People try it, and decline to buy it again.

You know, reading that article, it seems as if the main issue they have is simply that not enough people want to buy their product. People try it, and decline to buy it again.

Essentially me with these products, I've tried several vegan "meat alternatives" they varied from acceptable to quite good but none that I'd want to replace actual meat with. I've tried them out of curiosity, as no doubt many have, and they aren't for me. So it goes.

Essentially me with these products, I've tried several vegan "meat alternatives" they varied from acceptable to quite good but none that I'd want to replace actual meat with. I've tried them out of curiosity, as no doubt many have, and they aren't for me. So it goes.
I am good with eating peas and rice and lentils etc. as they are. I still haven't figured out why people need foods pretending to be other foods. Either you like them or don't:dunno:.

I do eat pretty plainly. Usually no sauces or condiments. I eat salads with no dressing. I hate that the dressing can make a salad soggy. I like the taste of veggies as they are. I enjoy eating food that I can pick out the different flavours.

I am good with eating peas and rice and lentils etc. as they are. I still haven't figured out why people need foods pretending to be other foods. Either you like them or don't:dunno:.

I do eat pretty plainly. Usually no sauces or condiments. I eat salads with no dressing. I hate that the dressing can make a salad soggy. I like the taste of veggies as they are. I enjoy eating food that I can pick out the different flavours.

I am happy eating those things too and generally prefer food "as it comes" as it were, I'm also a meat eater. I have tried some of the recent vegan meat type stuff largely out of curiosity, as I dare say others have. They are pretty easy to cook and so low effort for something new.

I ate some Quorn type stuff as a teen as my mum didn't like met much, so it's not an entirely alien to me. I have eaten it sometimes since but again prefer either meat or veg/beans.

We had some little 'non-pork' pies last night. They were reduced so I gave them a shot.
Techy was amazed. He reckoned they were identical to the more expensive pies you get at a posh buffet. :dunno:

I just lobbed the ketchup on as I did when I ate actual pork pies as a kid. The texture was identical but the pastry less heavy compared to how I remembered them. Will buy again.

We had some little 'non-pork' pies last night. They were reduced so I gave them a shot.
Techy was amazed. He reckoned they were identical to the more expensive pies you get at a posh buffet. :dunno:

I just lobbed the ketchup on as I did when I ate actual pork pies as a kid. The texture was identical but the pastry less heavy compared to how I remembered them. Will buy again.
Don't know if they're the same ones that I had recently, but I found them far too heavy on the pastry.

Don't know if they're the same ones that I had recently, but I found them far too heavy on the pastry.
These were Plant Kitchen or summat, I'll look at the wrapping when I'm in.
The pastry would be different from regular pork pie pastry, which is made with a mixture of lard and hot water.

Hmm looks like the actual pipe is made of metal, and hidden inside the carrot.
Maybe and maybe not. Someone once handed me a similar looking bong that was made from an apple (with a foil gauze inserted) that didn't otherwise contain any metal, he went on to cheerfully boast that he could also eat the apple later and get wasted that way as a bonus.

Nothing can replace crispy bacon. Or, for that matter - and to prove I'm not a total carnivore - crusty bread. The latter being apparently unobtainable now.

crusty bread. The latter being apparently unobtainable now.
Trying to find a decent 'French style baguette' is impossible (here at least). Inside, it should be similar to a ciabatta, but they're just a spongy, tasteless mass of dough.
I don't know how they're even allowed to call them 'French baguettes'.

Trying to find a decent 'French style baguette' is impossible (here at least). Inside, it should be similar to a ciabatta, but they're just a spongy, tasteless mass of dough.
I don't know how they're even allowed to call them 'French baguettes'.
It’s a bit like the bagels you can get in supermarkets compared with the ones you can get in a Brick Lane bagel bakery. There is little similarity other than they’re circular with a hole in the middle. That’s about as far as it goes - texture is completely different.

The thing with proper French bread like baguettes is they’re great when fresh & crusty on the day baked. The next day they go rock hard - something to do with the kind of flour used I think. It’s all about freshness.

Odd to say, but while I love the taste of fresh, crusty bread, I don't like eating the crust. It's probably all in my head but the crust feels like it's cutting my gums! And it's true that give it one day and it goes from crunchy to leather-tough. When that happens, I use it to cook with e.g. chopped into croutons, bread pudding, or breadcrumb.
I use 'ordinary' bread as habit, but I learned to make bread for when I want something special, such as foccacia or unleavened.

Odd to say, but while I love the taste of fresh, crusty bread, I don't like eating the crust. It's probably all in my head but the crust feels like it's cutting my gums! And it's true that give it one day and it goes from crunchy to leather-tough. When that happens, I use it to cook with e.g. chopped into croutons, bread pudding, or breadcrumb.
I use 'ordinary' bread as habit, but I learned to make bread for when I want something special, such as foccacia or unleavened.
Yes it can do that (or certainly make your jaw ache a bit).

I think the fact that 'proper' baguettes don't last very long is actually a good thing though- it suggests that they're not full of any preservatives maybe?

Yes it can do that (or certainly make your jaw ache a bit).

I think the fact that 'proper' baguettes don't last very long is actually a good thing though- it suggests that they're not full of any preservatives maybe?
yeah, so much this. sailors had "Hard Tack"(not really bread, more like cracker bricks) because it lasted months. It wasn't actually tasty at all. But it was nutritious. Really tasty bread... doesn't sit on shelves long enough to sell in most stores.

I've recently tried making gachamigas which is an alledgedly medieval Spanish form of unleavened garlic bread, cooked only in a frying pan.
Tasty but very crumbly. Great for 'picking at' or dips.

I've recently tried making gachamigas which is an alledgedly medieval Spanish form of unleavened garlic bread, cooked only in a frying pan.
Tasty but very crumbly. Great for 'picking at' or dips.
sounds similar to traditional corn bread. that stuff is VERY crumbly. it's often thrown into soups as filler after being made because of how quickly it dissolves in broth.... and how much broth it can absorb.

Have we had our fill of fake meat?

A new global survey of 1,000 consumers for vegan firm Strong Roots found that despite 61% of consumers increasing their plant-based intake, 40% are reducing or cutting out fake meat from their diets.

Almost half (47%) said taste was behind the decision, followed by 36% who cited artificial additives and another 36% who stated it was the processed nature of the products which changed their habits.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66438807

Have we had our fill of fake meat?

A new global survey of 1,000 consumers for vegan firm Strong Roots found that despite 61% of consumers increasing their plant-based intake, 40% are reducing or cutting out fake meat from their diets.113

Almost half (47%) said taste was behind the decision, followed by 36% who cited artificial additives and another 36% who stated it was the processed nature of the products which changed their habits.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66438807

47+36+36 = 119%

Back