• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Is 'Vegan Meat' Just MEAT?

At my veggie school, there was quite a wide range of meals - the most popular was the veggie pizza but my personal favourite was eggs, beans 'n' chips!
Coming from my background (working class London kid in the seventies), it blew my mind that egg 'n' chips was vegetarian 'cause I'd been raised by folks who could only think of salads being suitable.
Yeah there's.... degrees of vegetarian. Some are no RED meat, but eat poultry and fish, often considered to be not true vegetarians at all. then on the far end you have people who avoid all food that has ANY form of animal based anything in it... even milk.

But part of this is the reasons for it. some do it for weird hippie reasons and some are actually unable to digest red meat.

At any rate when i was a kid i learn to make a decent veggie soup. rice or potato with some sort of beans or peas, and whatever random veggies you have laying around it quite tasty and nutritious.

Isn't Vegan supposed to be totally without meat and stuff made from animals, while Vegetarians are allowing themselves fish and sometimes eggs?

Isn't Vegan supposed to be totally without meat and stuff made from animals, while Vegetarians are allowing themselves fish and sometimes eggs?
True vegetarians won't eat fish (those are pescatarians) but will usually eat eggs, as long as they are free range.

I suppose if they put dairy cheese on it's not vegan when they hand it over so
maybe some litigation thing, but why you cant order a separate side order
of dairy, duno, we got 2 plant burgers and o big mac in the same order so
could have mixed n marched if so inclined.
:dunno:

Don't people just love ensnaring themselves within the meshes of complex sets of abstruse rules.

Not like a religion at all. Oh no.

maximus otter
True.

Someone says ''I am a pescatarian and I eat eggs and cheese''.
Someone else says ''I am a pescatarian and I eat eggs but not cheese''.
Another says ''I am a pescatarian and I eat cheese but not eggs''.
And then.... well you get the picture.

True.

Someone says ''I am a pescatarian and I eat eggs and cheese''.
Someone else says ''I am a pescatarian and I eat eggs but not cheese''.
Another says ''I am a pescatarian and I eat cheese but not eggs''.
And then.... well you get the picture.

“I’m normal, and in a moment and I’m going to appear to become smaller. That’s because I’m going to be walking away from you.”

maximus otter

Well, last night I had vegetarian haggis - it'd replaced the meat with beans 'n' pulses and, honestly, it tasted fine. The texture was identical to the real one. And, no it hadn't found a replacement for sheeps gut - like most meat haggis you can buy now, it was packed in plastic.

From long, long experience I'll eat anything. I love meat 'n' fish but if I can only afford vegetarian stuff, I'll have it. My parents raised me to eat what I was given, and Mum (gawd bless 'er) was a bad cook. So I am not a fussy eater and I started to learn how to cook at age 7. In the past, I've been so skint I was on one meal, every other day. I love food but my 'conditioning' is ... if you're hungry and it's what is available, eat it!

Well, last night I had vegetarian haggis - it'd replaced the meat with beans 'n' pulses and, honestly, it tasted fine. The texture was identical to the real one. And, no it hadn't found a replacement for sheeps gut - like most meat haggis you can buy now, it was packed in plastic.

From long, long experience I'll eat anything. I love meat 'n' fish but if I can only afford vegetarian stuff, I'll have it. My parents raised me to eat what I was given, and Mum (gawd bless 'er) was a bad cook. So I am not a fussy eater and I started to learn how to cook at age 7. In the past, I've been so skint I was on one meal, every other day. I love food but my 'conditioning' is ... if you're hungry and it's what is available, eat it!
If you can find vegetarian scotch eggs let me know. (And I don't mean those little 'picnic eggs' as they're called.

This is why 'fussy eaters' (children and those with sensory problems excepted) drive me bonkers. It's just such a sign of priviledge, all the 'oh I don't like cheese/liver/anything with green bits in/meat that's chewy/sloppy omlettes' lot have clearly never had to eat whatever was cheapest in the orange label section at the supermarket, or stuff that's been ruined by inattentive cooking because that's all that was in the house.

This is why 'fussy eaters' (children and those with sensory problems excepted) drive me bonkers.
Me and my Sister weren't allowed to be fussy when we were little. It was 'you get what you're given' so we ate what we were given. Obviously there was stuff we did and didn't like so much, we weren't forced to eat anything (apart from my Dad once forcing me to eat a tuna sandwich he'd spat on, he wasn't well at the time) but we were exposed to it all so I'll eat pretty much anything these days, including tuna. Even liver and I hated liver at school.

Me and my Sister weren't allowed to be fussy when we were little. It was 'you get what you're given' so we ate what we were given. Obviously there was stuff we did and didn't like so much, we weren't forced to eat anything (apart from my Dad once forcing me to eat a tuna sandwich he'd spat on, he wasn't well at the time) but we were exposed to it all so I'll eat pretty much anything these days, including tuna. Even liver and I hated liver at school.
But why was it always broad beans?

But why was it always broad beans?
I'll even eat those bastards these days. It's not that I can't afford or don't enjoy rich food, I'll just eat anything. I reckon I'd ace one of those food challenges on I'm a Celebrity. I wouldn't enjoy it but I'd crack on. Except one of those chilli's that's measured in millions on the Scoville scale because that's just stupid. I'd eat a sheep's eyeball before I ate a supermarket vegan ready meal though .. just to boast that I'd eaten a sheep's eyeball. I sent Frideswide a scorpion in a vodka lollipop a few years ago but that was past it's sell by date so I hope she didn't eat it. Or a massive fist bump to her if she ate it anyway.

About the only food I refused to eat as a child was raw avocado. Sure things I disliked, but... a lot of things I just... learned to tolerate.

I didn't eat avocado until about 10 years ago. I certainly don't think they were even in the shops when I was young. A bit too exotic for us back then I suspect.
If you want an exotic flavor that you'll "probably" like... try fresh Litchi fruit. The smell is also exotic, but... less fun. Highly distinctive though.

The supermarkets here don't even seem to be able to stock decent quality onions/peppers and certainly tomatoes, let alone something as exotic as litchi!
Hmm... see if you can find any SEAsia markets. Thailand, Malaysia, Cambodia, that area of the world. I think the places I found them were Thai. But that was the Washington DC area. My hometown I live in doesn't have any. :/

Let's not discount that your sense of taste changes as you get older.
Things that I didn't like as a kid, I actually love now such as green cabbage, spinach, avocado etc. Sometimes I think the reason why some adults won't try food items is the memory of the taste when they were a child.
This - combined with need, method of cooking etc. -all adds up to fad eating in adults.
As far as food challenges are concerned, I've no qualms. I've had periods of famine as well as periods as a teen/twenty-something when I'd eat stuff for a bet; daddy-longlegs, mealworms, lugworms (gritty 'n' salty), plaster, bits of metal, glass etc. Not proud of it, nor able to reproduce said consumption - I'm no M. Mangetout - but ... it happened! :)
The fashions in food consumption that really make me disgusted and appalled are mukbangs and excessive consumption competitions. Sure, the restaurants love it 'cause they get paid for the publicity, but I find it horrifying that some folks actually get paid (and notoriety) for consuming a weeks worth of food in one meal!
"Ha! Ha! Look at me! I'm willing to eat a cheese burger with bacon that's bigger than the table!"
"Gasp and thrill as you watch this person eat every single item on our menu in one hour!"

And then we get media outrage, with fat shaming, statistics showing heart disease and obesity, schools removing some items from packed lunches for being too unhealthy etc. etc.

Let's not discount that your sense of taste changes as you get older.
Things that I didn't like as a kid, I actually love now such as green cabbage, spinach, avocado etc. Sometimes I think the reason why some adults won't try food items is the memory of the taste when they were a child.
I hated boiled cabbage as a child (and still do). But, raw cabbage is one of my favourites now. I also prefer raw carrots and peppers too.
I wonder if I'd have glady eaten it that way if I had been given the option back then.

I don't know if this was a national trait for the time period (70s) but we were forced to clear our plate (and if not, were told that we were ungrateful as there were many starving people in the world).

I never understood how forcing a child to eat something they didn't like (and/or were sated to the point of bursting) was of any use.

I didn't eat avocado until about 10 years ago. I certainly don't think they were even in the shops when I was young. A bit too exotic for us back then I suspect.
When they did first come over here (or at least reached the shelves in Exeter) they would have been too expensive. My family couldn't afford to be adventurous. But we did have to eat what was put in front of us, it was, as you say, a 'take it or leave it and go hungry' sort of thing. No alternative meals cooked, no 'if you don't like it make yourself some toast or cereal' (cereal was relatively expensive and there was just enough bread to do breakfast and my dad's sandwiches, none spare for random toast). If we went to bed hungry, well, that was on us for being picky.

I think people who were brought up in the late 70s and onwards, with relatively cheap staples, have no understanding of what it was like to be brought up just post war, with parents who grew up during rationing, when there was NO choice, and NO second helpings!

Back