• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Large Snakes

I don't see the information about how this snake was measured and weighed. It does not seem to have been captured.
Possibly a guesstimate. When he swims along the snake's length, you can see how large it is compared to his height. Then estimate the weight based on size in comparison to other large snakes.:dunno:

I don't see the information about how this snake was measured and weighed. It does not seem to have been captured.
I should imagine they know how tall the guy swimming with it and measured it against him. Usually involves a number of people stretching the snake out, a length of string being placed on it head to tail and the string being measured. This is done three times and an average taken. It's fairly easy with captive snakes used to handling not so much with big wild ones.

I’m not satisfied with guesstimates, they are sloppy. Hence, my comment.
That's a fair point to make - I guess that they only came to those numbers by working out roughly how long, and how heavy by guessing at it's girth and length when comparing with the diver as the measure. i.e. Probably a 'best guess' as the articles I've looked at on it do not seem to mention anything about how they actually arrived at those figures.
Maybe they should have used the set length of a ladder instead? :)

I should imagine they know how tall the guy swimming with it and measured it against him. Usually involves a number of people stretching the snake out, a length of string being placed on it head to tail and the string being measured. This is done three times and an average taken. It's fairly easy with captive snakes used to handling not so much with big wild ones.
Especially underwater, as you then have to add measurements to take into account all the bends along the length of the snakes body! :thought: In fact, if the measure of 26 feet was a guestimate comparing it's length to that of the diver alongside it, then it might well be quite a bit longer than 26 feet if it's loops are factored into it's measure!

Last edited:
"Gigantic" new Anaconda species found in Amazon.

"A team from the University of Queensland traveled to the Ecuadorian Amazon to search for the previously undocumented northern green anaconda (Eunectes akayima), following an invitation from the Waorani people to observe anacondas “rumoured to be the largest in existence,” according to the scientists."

"Green anacondas are the world’s heaviest snakes, according to the UK’s Natural History Museum, which noted that the heaviest individual ever recorded weighed 227 kilograms (500 pounds). It measured 8.43 meters long (27.7 feet) and 1.11 meters (3.6 feet) wide."

"But experts studying the creatures discovered that the newly identified northern green anaconda species diverged from the southern green anaconda almost 10 million years ago, and they differ genetically by 5.5%."

Don't know much about large snakes. Is this significant or a lot of hype? Full article here.

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/02/23/americas/worlds-biggest-snake-amazon-intl-scli-scn/index.html

I'm not unduly worried by snakes, or moths, but I wouldn't get near one that size. I once came face to face with a python in Malaysia. I didn't know my reflexes were that quick or that I could run that fast.
Yes, I came across a rattlesnake in the Mexican semi-desert in Oaxaca state many years ago. I heard the rattle and I swear I teleported 10 yards back down the trail! I have been roundly told off by American friends for running away, because you can run straight over another one, but there was no conscious thought, I heard the rattle and was gone! My first and only encounter with a wild rattlesnake. I didn't even see it.

But experts studying the creatures discovered that the newly identified northern green anaconda species diverged from the southern green anaconda almost 10 million years ago, and they differ genetically by 5.5%."

Don't know much about large snakes. Is this significant or a lot of hype? Full article here.

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/02/23/americas/worlds-biggest-snake-amazon-intl-scli-scn/index.html
My understanding is, yes it is significant. Human DNA is only 1% from chimpanzee. So 5.5% is a huge difference in comparison.

Maybe the chickens were left as food for the snakes but they all died?

17ft snake among dozens dumped at roadside in Wales​

The RSPCA is appealing for information after 27 snakes and four chickens were discovered dumped at the side of a road in boxes, bin bags and pillowcases

17ft snake among dozens dumped at roadside in Wales

The snakes were found in Waterston, Pembrokeshire (RSPCA/PA)

More than two dozen snakes, including one which is 17ft (5.2m) long, have been found dead in rural Wales.

The RSPCA is appealing for information after 27 snakes and four chickens were discovered dumped at the side of a road in boxes, bin bags and pillowcases.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-41351350.html

I listened to the Dark Histories podcast about Percy Fawcett and the lost city of Z last night.

https://www.darkhistories.com/percy-fawcett-the-lost-city-of-z/

His claim to have shot a 60 ft anaconda was based on it being more than double the length of the expedition's boats which, presumably, were just under 30ft in length.
This somewhat fanciful illustration depicts the incident although, in the original description, the snake was swimming in the river alongside the boat, rather than climbing a tree.

percy2.jpg

This report from construction workers in Brazil purports to show a curiously flattened 33ft anaconda:

https://www.animalsaroundtheglobe.com/largest-anaconda-ever-13-61835/

Back