• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Large Snakes

They don't like it when you bite back.

Sarayuth Malachan, 68, was suddenly woken from a nap to find a massive python wrapped around his leg. The snake's teeth were in his flesh and its grip was tightening around his limbs. So he bit the snake back.

"I was so desperate that I even bit it, but it worked, and I was able to break free," says Malachan, a security guard who lives in Thailand.

Acording to The Messenger, "Malachan grabbed the python by its head and dragged it outside. After the terrifying ordeal, Malachan filed a police report, speculating that the python may have entered his home in search of the chickens he kept."

https://boingboing.net/2023/08/25/m...-python-biting-his-leg-so-he-bit-it-back.html

You don't want this one to bite you:

brownsnake.jpg

Huge eastern brown snake found in a veggie patch near Armidale​

Snake season in the north of New South Wales is off to a spectacular start, with a two-metre eastern brown being pulled from a veggie garden near Armidale.

Key points:​

• An estimated six foot eastern brown snake was caught and relocated near Armidale
  • Local services say calls for snake relocations have started earlier than usual
  • A local catcher expects a busier season with warmer and drier months on the way and mouse plagues providing steady food
Snake catcher Glen Cratchley got a surprise when he was called to a Rocky River residence this week.

"I could only see a very small portion of the snake," he said.

"I grabbed it where I could and all of a sudden it came out and I saw the true size of it."

According to the Australian Museum, eastern brown snakes are an alert and nervous species, meaning they often react defensively if surprised or cornered and can strike with little hesitation.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-08-26/huge-brown-snake-found-in-veggie-patch/102774880

Apparently they can grow up to 26 feet long!
Yes I found that out after viewing the vid @Yithian brouht to our attention I spent ages looking at youtube videos of them. Fascinating but all the same I'm glad they are native to the Queensland rain forest and not East Anglia!!

Would this be regarded as tipping?

Dumped boa constrictor in vivarium, Widdington
The snake was in good condition, despite being left without heating, light or water, all of which are essential for its survival

A six-foot-long (1.2m) boa constrictor has been found dumped inside a glass vivarium blocking a driveway on a housing estate.

The snake was left without heating or light, with an empty water bowl, at Hamel Way, in Widdington, Essex.

The RSPCA said a resident has given them CCTV footage of man getting out of a car and leaving the vivarium.

Animal rescue officer Enola Evans said: "There's never any excuse to dump an animal like this."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-essex-66656009

Last edited by a moderator:
Fighting with the python.

Police patrol get to grips with python after early-hours call-out

Police stepped in to detain a 12ft-long python after a member of the public reported the snake slithering along a street in West Bromwich UK, in the early hours.

A picture released by West Midlands Police showed three officers getting to grips with the reptile after being called to Harwood Street at about 1.30am on Tuesday.

The force said in a statement posted on its website

“Our officers are not easily rattled when it comes to responding to unusual calls as we deal with a huge variety of incidents. While RSPCA colleagues would usually handle this situation they were not able to attend due to the time of the call so some of our brave response officers stepped in. We managed to safely rescue the snake and get it into our van without too many slips and slides. The snake was then transferred to a nearby veterinary hospital for overnight care.”

https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-41219851.html

Fighting with the python.

Police patrol get to grips with python after early-hours call-out

Police stepped in to detain a 12ft-long python after a member of the public reported the snake slithering along a street in West Bromwich UK, in the early hours.

A picture released by West Midlands Police showed three officers getting to grips with the reptile after being called to Harwood Street at about 1.30am on Tuesday.

The force said in a statement posted on its website

“Our officers are not easily rattled when it comes to responding to unusual calls"
:clap:

Would the python fight off sharks?

A Gold Coast man who filmed himself taking his pet snake for a surf has been fined by Australian wildlife authorities.

Higor Fiuza and his bredli carpet python Shiva became local celebrities earlier this month after video of them catching waves went viral. But their short-lived fame also tipped off wildlife protection officers. They say the man endangered Shiva and breached his permit to keep the snake by taking her out in public.

Queensland's Department of Environment and Science says it began investigating the surfing duo after Mr Fiuza appeared in local media, and this week issued him a fine of A$2,322 (£1,207; $1,495).

Taking native pets out in public can cause them "unnecessary stress" and could make them "behave in an unpredictable way", wildlife officer Jonathan McDonald said in a statement.

"Snakes are obviously cold-blooded animals, and while they can swim, reptiles generally avoid water," he said. "The python would have found the water to be extremely cold, and the only snakes that should be in the ocean are sea snakes."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-66816893

Something not connected under the bonnet.

Huge boa constrictor found stuck under car bonnet

Of all the things you think you might expect under the bonnet of a car, a snake is not one.

In a career first, wildlife removal expert Russel Cavender removed this eight-foot albino boa constrictor from a car in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-66932403

How we found a Giant Anaconda in Guyana​

Well, there's another country I won't travel to. I only watched a minute until the snake slithered away in the marshy water. Creeped out now.

I don't mind snakes like garter snakes, but large ones, nope.

Well, there's another country I won't travel to. I only watched a minute until the snake slithered away in the marshy water. Creeped out now.

I don't mind snakes like garter snakes, but large ones, nope.
I've been there looking for giant anaconda. We were on the grassland rather than the jungle, i the worst heatwave in living memory according tp the locals. It was utter hell but i'd like to go back. I'd go to the jungle this time.

Something not connected under the bonnet.

Huge boa constrictor found stuck under car bonnet

Of all the things you think you might expect under the bonnet of a car, a snake is not one.

In a career first, wildlife removal expert Russel Cavender removed this eight-foot albino boa constrictor from a car in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-66932403

I see it's albino. Are they more common amongst snakes?

Back