• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Likes [Poll]

The Like Button ...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I must admit I've never got into the habit of using the Like button, not because I don't like anything, I like plenty of posts here, but I just know if I started using it I'd be overthinking every single press of it and my time spent here would double as I fretted.

I must admit I've never got into the habit of using the Like button, not because I don't like anything, I like plenty of posts here, but I just know if I started using it I'd be overthinking every single press of it and my time spent here would double as I fretted.
I've just given you a like ... but in a none gay way ... not that I'm a homophobic or anything, I just don't want to get your hopes up X :kiss:

I try to Like posts that make me think, regardless of whether I agree with them or not.

If in doubt, I usually abstain and Like the next post with a singing cat* in it.

Dammit, I knew I should have Liked the person who said Likes would drive us into Social Media territory! :cry:

*What became of the singing dog that played all the pianos in a piano-store, singing all the time? I really Liked that but I have never been able to find it since.

like it or not, the forum now has social media status, due to functionality such as like, profile posts, trophy points etc etc ... all of which flim flam is a noisy distraction from the meat of the site ... its possible to be social online without all that frippery ... as per the old forum
Awww. Well I can't promise never to like you as I have too much other stuff to remember and it would be nearly impossible to try to recall who doesn't like not being liked enough and who doesn't like being liked too much. So if I ever accidentally like you in the future it is nothing personal. ;)

i recall the old board having a thread-level setting to restrict emoticons also ...
images.jpg

*What became of the singing dog that played all the pianos in a piano-store, singing all the time? I really Liked that but I have never been able to find it since.

That'll be Elmo the Irish setter. There's a few videos of his singing & playing on the choob.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I've just given you a like ... but in a none gay way ... not that I'm a homophobic or anything, I just don't want to get your hopes up X :kiss:

It's OK, we're all comfortable with our sexuality and gender around here.

Likes are used on social media as a method of defining consumer trends and targeting specific advertising to the "Likers", but I doubt that's the case on the FTMB. Those who have posted on the Weird Sex thread would certainly hope so, anyway.

I wish to decry the 'courtesy like'.

Too often a poster wishes to make fresh contribution to the thread that doesn't really relate to the last post that nobody else has responded to (it's doubly bad if this was a question).

Rather than just post away and give the impression that he has ignored that earlier post, the new poster clicks to 'like' it in some feeble and apoligetic acknowledgment of its existence or as evidence that it has been read even though you have nothing to add.

This is pointless.
Be strong: don't debase your currency!

Personally, my only concern is whether 'liking' posts might jeopardise my moderational (?) neutrality.

I refrain from doing so in some situations.

And then, in this age of self-doubt, I wonder whether liking posts calling for harmony during diagreement or offering apologies and conciliation is a product of my actually desiring harmony and conciliation or whether I am comically over-acting the rôle of moderator in some form of Sartrean Bad Faith.

Like a French waiter putting on a stronger French accent as he knows that customers associate it with authenticity.

Like that guy from Eurotrash!

Last edited:
We all know that if you type 'Google' into Google you can break the internet.

I'm just wondering, you know, kind of in the same vein...

Fuck it - let's live dangerously...

I can't understand why a Fortean forum would choose the term 'Like' in the first place when 'I cautiously agree with this statement until further evidence or subsequent events either confirm or negate my earlier approval', is a far more obvious button for the site.

I can't understand why a Fortean forum would choose the term 'Like' in the first place when 'I cautiously agree with this statement until further evidence or subsequent events either confirm or negate my earlier approval', is a far more obvious button for the site.
Well, you could also unlike it

I can't understand why a Fortean forum would choose the term 'Like' in the first place ...

'Like' is the name of the feature in the underlying software package (XenForo). Nobody on / at FTMB chose that label.

Back