• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mad Max Thread

maxresdefault.jpg

Cross Max

With the current rage being “Strong Woman” flicks, how long before we are treated to Pre-Menstrual Maxine?

maximus otter

With the current rage being “Strong Woman” flicks, how long before we are treated to Pre-Menstrual Maxine?

Whingers called Mad Max: Fury Road, Mad Maxine because Charlize Theron was given more to do than be decorative. But strong women in movies are nothing new... Sigourney Weaver in Aliens... Pam Grier in Coffy… Heck, Pearl White in The Perils of Pauline... It's a popular, durable genre.

Rumour has it George Miller wants to cast Killing Eve's Jodie Comer as Furiosa in the Mad Max Fury Road prequel. Now that would be worth seeing, except for the bit where presumably she gets her arm cut off, which would not.

Sid Caesar as Immortan Joe! Does this mean Stanley Kramer created the action movie as we know it? That makes a good case.

Another car replica. This is the stolen pursuit special hq with a small block 327 and Edelbrock manifold. Looks pretty schmick. Sounds beautiful.

Part of last year's 40th anny reunion events. The vid features several of the original's iconic actors - Charlie, Goose, Jessie, The Toecutter and Fifi.

If you're ever confronted by a crowd like this and get it into your dopey head that it's your RIGHT to force the issue and drive your little white alfa romeo hatchback upriver into a parade of fuelled up berzerkers and their angry steeds ... well ... just watch what happens. :evillaugh:

Part of last year's 40th anny reunion events. The vid features several of the original's iconic actors - Charlie, Goose, Jessie, The Toecutter and Fifi.

If you're ever confronted by a crowd like this and get it into your dopey head that it's your RIGHT to force the issue and drive your little white alfa romeo hatchback upriver into a parade of fuelled up berzerkers and their angry steeds ... well ... just watch what happens. :evillaugh:

Now that was nice...Lotsa Kwaka's, and cars that idle like a bull crocodile. Thanks skinny!

I think Fury Road was basically a condensation of the first movie and a rehash of the second. They could have offered something new, but I think there's no more to be said about the franchise.

I think Fury Road was basically a condensation of the first movie and a rehash of the second. They could have offered something new, but I think there's no more to be said about the franchise.
Hmm it's like making a proper franchise out of "Waterworld". To grow past a certain point you have to leave behind the main character of the original movie.

Plotwise it doesn't had much but is so well executed, it more than makes up for it. I'd say it's either the second best MM film joint best with MM2.

Hmm it's like making a proper franchise out of "Waterworld". To grow past a certain point you have to leave behind the main character of the original movie.

FWIW, it's the fourth movie, so there were three before it, which means it was by then already a proper franchise.

FWIW, it's the fourth movie, so there were three before it, which means it was by then already a proper franchise.
This is true, but centering a franchise on a single character drastically limits what you can do with it. You could easily write Waterworld sequels with the same characters. But it's a huge world. having the same 2-3 every movie?

This is true, but centering a franchise on a single character drastically limits what you can do with it. You could easily write Waterworld sequels with the same characters. But it's a huge world. having the same 2-3 every movie?

I've no problem with new characters. The problem's that they rehashed the plot from the second movie, and there was no excuse for doing so because the fourth movie was in development hell, which could have given them ample time to think of new stories to tell.

I think they did that because the time between the third and fourth movies was so long they figured most people knew little to nothing about the first three movies (which is why they had to condense the first movie). Thus, with young audiences from different countries, they decided to just used a tried and tested formula, which is to show lots of action and spectacle through another vehicle chase.

That's why I get this feeling that rather than making a fourth movie about the franchise, they decided to follow what took place in Star Trek and other franchises, which is to come up with some weird reboot/remake/spinoff. That is, they decided to ignore what happened in the third movie and even change things in the first (reboot), remake the second because it was the best of the lot, and used Max as some sort of foil for Furiosa to spin off to a new set of characters.

I would have done the same, as viewers likely never heard of Max, and re-using something that's financially successful will make producers happy. If they had come up with something new in contrast to the first three movies, like removing Max, featuring Furiosa, and replacing the vehicle chase with something else, they would have probably been less financially successful.

I've no problem with new characters. The problem's that they rehashed the plot from the second movie, and there was no excuse for doing so because the fourth movie was in development hell, which could have given them ample time to think of new stories to tell.

I think they did that because the time between the third and fourth movies was so long they figured most people knew little to nothing about the first three movies (which is why they had to condense the first movie). Thus, with young audiences from different countries, they decided to just used a tried and tested formula, which is to show lots of action and spectacle through another vehicle chase.

That's why I get this feeling that rather than making a fourth movie about the franchise, they decided to follow what took place in Star Trek and other franchises, which is to come up with some weird reboot/remake/spinoff. That is, they decided to ignore what happened in the third movie and even change things in the first (reboot), remake the second because it was the best of the lot, and used Max as some sort of foil for Furiosa to spin off to a new set of characters.

I would have done the same, as viewers likely never heard of Max, and re-using something that's financially successful will make producers happy. If they had come up with something new in contrast to the first three movies, like removing Max, featuring Furiosa, and replacing the vehicle chase with something else, they would have probably been less financially successful.
Unless it had delayed development because people had run out of ideas? Maybe they just had no better ideas?

Unless it had delayed development because people had run out of ideas? Maybe they just had no better ideas?

I notice that several franchises try to offer something new in terms of shifting allied genres. For example, for the Alien franchise, we have suspense for the first movie, then action, then something like detective fiction. For Mad Max, it was a crime thriller, then an action chase movie, then adventure.

From what I read, by the late 1980s, Miller wanted another chase film, but this time involving human beings as the resource. That meant essentially repeating the second movie, and I don't think he wavered from that during the several times filming was attempted.

That said, I'm not sure if they could have thought of anything to consider for that franchise universe, although something related to my avatar would have been intriguing.

That said, I'm not sure if they could have thought of anything to consider for that franchise universe, although something related to my avatar would have been intriguing
Is that a radar speed gun he's holding?

Mad Max 4: Twenty Is Plenty

I notice that several franchises try to offer something new in terms of shifting allied genres. For example, for the Alien franchise, we have suspense for the first movie, then action, then something like detective fiction. For Mad Max, it was a crime thriller, then an action chase movie, then adventure.

From what I read, by the late 1980s, Miller wanted another chase film, but this time involving human beings as the resource. That meant essentially repeating the second movie, and I don't think he wavered from that during the several times filming was attempted.

That said, I'm not sure if they could have thought of anything to consider for that franchise universe, although something related to my avatar would have been intriguing.
saving slaves from... that... does make for an interesting plot. As one person said: it's better to do something well than to try too hard to make it different.... trying too hard to make things different is how we got "buttblasters" in Tremors. :p

But... on the other hand, it needs to be somewhat different. It can't be a full on copy.

Back