• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

"Meeting Nicola"

Something like this?
1611433053463.png

To be honest, I still have my doubts about this whole thing. It may help if I say that from experience, we’ve had new posters before that only post on one subject exclusively. This sets my radar pinging. Also, the original poster seems to follow up with fuller details, like the location, accent, clothing etc. to add to the narrative - even though the story is only gleaned from an IHTM and a FOAF account. I have to say I find this whole thing rather odd.

Last edited:
To be honest, I still have my doubts about this whole thing. It may help if I say that from experience, we’ve had new posters before that only post on one subject exclusively. This sets my radar pinging. Also, the original poster seems to follow up with fuller details, like the location, accent, clothing etc. to add to the narrative - even though the story is only gleaned from an IHTM and a FOAF account. I have to say I find this whole thing rather odd.
Funny you should say that. I thought the sustained narrative, and the ongoing “seasoning” with periodic previously undisclosed detail, had echoes of a sketchy Loch Ness monster photo thread that appeared a while back.
Both tales evolved oddly; hard to put my finger on specifically but it was as if the poster was somehow feeding off maintaining an engagement with the forum.

I will add this.

Years ago a friend went to Nightmoves.
It was a club in Shoreditch High Street.
The night he went was a nearly exclusively Black British crowd. Soul and Swingbeat.

Said friend was a self confessed ladies man, but not rampant or a lech, more of a smooth operator.
He met a very attractive woman, and spent two hours in what he decscribed as really interesting and entertaining conversation.

At the end of the night, he suggested that they swap numbers. Mobile phones for non business use were starting to take off, mid 90's, but people would also still give out landline numbers.

He gave her his business card, and asked for her number. She looked at him and really seriously said "You do not want to know me. You do not want to keep in contact with me. I am not good for people to have in their life."

She walked away, and walked into the crowd of people making their way towards the exit.

He tried in vain to follow her but could not see her. He was hung up on how they had "connected", but she "vanished".

The story is true. He had no reason to invent it, especially not to tell of how he failed to "get the girl."
This would harm his reputation.

At the time I suggested that she was into black magic.

Now I think she may well have been either married to a rich powerful man or criminal, or she was a call girl.
Very nice looking, well dressed, adept at conversation.
But honest enough to warn off my friend whom she could tell was a nice guy, of medium income, and whom she thought of highly from their conversation, so did not want him to come to harm from her jealous partner or criminal associates.

Last edited:
The second picture in my post is not just one of a dark-haired woman. For one thing, she has more than a passing resemblance to the illustration. For another, if the Daily Mirror is to be believed, she's Frank's eldest daughter. See link in post #140.

@Damien, how much time passed between Frank's encounter and the creation of his illustration?

A touch unfair perhaps? My first post on here was an experience which was, to all intents and purposes, unbelievable. Yet it happened and I know it did and I have the evidence. That is the nature of very weird personal experiences - they are personal and often unwitnessed. I said at the time that I wasn't concerned whether people believed my experience or not. I would guess Frank feels the same and the OP is merely passing on his friend's story.
But another thing - we are dealing with a fairly mundane event - boy meets girl, has a chat, girl goes off. It's not as though Frank is maintaining that he met an alien on a river bank and she disappeared into a spaceship in front of his eyes or some similar story is it?

Funny you should say that. I thought the sustained narrative, and the ongoing “seasoning” with periodic previously undisclosed detail, had echoes of a sketchy Loch Ness monster photo thread that appeared a while back.
Both tales evolved oddly; hard to put my finger on specifically but it was as if the poster was somehow feeding off maintaining an engagement with the forum.
Not "feeding off " the forum ,just wanted to share and get a take on some one elses view on this experience.

Certainly not feeding anyone a false story or trying to deceive anyone, quite offended to be called a liar to be honest. I myself am just like anyone else on the forum, the experience didn't happen to me so I can only speculate to what had happened that day. Regarding "Only posting 1 post" well I have only been here for a week, I have been looking at other cases on here, and in time hope to contribute more. Seems like the atmosphere here has become rather unfriendly and all-thought reasonable questioning of facts and suspicion should always be applied to any case posted, to be personally suggested to be a deceiver is quite unsettling . The fuller details I supplied are only what I have been given by frank, I'am in no way creating or furthering a narrative for attention purposes (as it as been suggested on here) . My own interest like I have mentioned is just to get a wide feedback on this event.

Last edited:

It's not in the realm of the "I saw and photographed the Lochness Monster, honestly!" thread.

What the OP says happened could easily have done so and without any supernatural elements too, though I'm not saying there weren't any.

He gave her his business card, and asked for her number. She looked at him and really seriously said "You do not want to know me. You do not want to keep in contact with me. I am not good for people to have in their life."

I have said this to people too. When in very dark periods of my life I was behaving self-destructively and probably extremely immaturely, I have been known to warn people off.

Also it was often because I suspected that they were after quick, disposable sex. It is, you have to admit it, a great exit line as you walk off to lock yourself in the toilets for an hour.

Certainly not feeding anyone a false story or trying to deceive anyone, quite offended to be called a lair to be honest. I myself am just like anyone else on the forum, the experience didn't happen to me so I can only speculate to what had happened that day. Regarding "Only posting 1 post" well I have only been here for a week, I have been looking at other cases on here, and in time hope to contribute more. Seems like the atmosphere here has become rather unfriendly and all-thought reasonable questioning of facts and suspicion should always be applied to any case posted, to be personally suggested to be a deceiver is quite unsettling . The fuller details I supplied are only what I have been given by frank, I'am in no way creating or furthering a narrative for attention purposes (as it as been suggested on here) . My own interest like I have mentioned is just to get a wide feedback on this event.

Hi Damien, there are people from time to time who only or mostly post in one thread who speak about weird experiences who don't give much detail or become aggressive when questioned or whom seem to have a somewhat fluid relationship with reality, or all of the above. So it's natural that people here become mildly suspicious, I wouldn't put you in any of those categories and have found you entirely reasonable, open and articulate. I also enjoyed re-reading the story, I had read it in FT many moons ago.

Applying Occam's Razor, I'm with some posters here where I imagine what most likely happened is a young man, at the mercy of his hormones had an odd interaction with an attractive young woman, who may have been odd or eccentric herself, or possibly caught up in a dangerous situation with the guy on the bike. I wouldn't dismiss there being more to it than that though and I don't question your integrity nor that of Frank, though it is possible he may have misremembered some details, as anyone might.

The second picture in my post is not just one of a dark-haired woman. For one thing, she has more than a passing resemblance to the illustration. For another, if the Daily Mirror is to be believed, she's Frank's eldest daughter. See link in post #140.

@Damien, how much time passed between Frank's encounter and the creation of his illustration?
The drawing was only made a couple of weeks ago, but he insists that he remembers her features clearly. The brain is wired to remember faces better than say clothing and shoes etc, I read in a book about memory last year.

Last edited:
Hi Damien, there are people from time to time who only or mostly post in one thread who speak about weird experiences who don't give much detail or become aggressive when questioned or whom seem to have a somewhat fluid relationship with reality, or all of the above. So it's natural that people here become mildly suspicious, I wouldn't put you in any of those categories and have found you entirely reasonable, open and articulate. I also enjoyed re-reading the story, I had read it in FT many moons ago.

Applying Occam's Razor, I'm with some posters here where I imagine what most likely happened is a young man, at the mercy of his hormones had an odd interaction with an attractive young woman, who may have been odd or eccentric herself, or possibly caught up in a dangerous situation with the guy on the bike. I wouldn't dismiss there being more to it than that though and I don't question your integrity nor that of Frank, though it is possible he may have misremembered some details, as anyone might.
I can understand being suspicious, Your understanding of the event is close to what I thought must have happened on that day, but he is insistent that she did just dissapear. Again I was not there so I'm no more qualified than anyone else as to say what really took place. I do subscribe to Occams razor, But I don't always think the simpler explanation are always true. I have always wanted to know if it would be wise posing the drawing on a Streatham online community thread, and ask if anyone knew a Nicola around there from the early 80's. To get some kind of closure would be a great success in this case. Again thanks for the reply.

The drawing was only made a couple of weeks ago, but he insists that he remembers her features clearly. The brain is wired to remember faces better than say clothing and shoes etc, I read in a book about memory last year.
Be careful of sweeping statements like this - honestly.

This is a very interesting tale, thank you for posting.

One thing has struck me in your latest response: the bit I've bolded here. Could it be that 'Nicola' purposely appeared* in such a fashion so as to attract his attention in order that he would speak to her?

*I'm using 'appeared', rather than 'dressed', on purpose.

The thought of her appearing as an attractive woman reminded me of that Scarlett Johansson film where she is an alien.

Maybe the biker saved your friend's life!

Back