• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

The answer is simple - someone is trying out your voodoo doll.
Ha! I wonder who?

I used to joke that I offed my ex-wife that way.

(Didn't really - I'm too much of a wimp. But she did go before her time...)

The answer is simple - someone is trying out your voodoo doll.

Right enough - that's actually the least baffling explanation :D

Or it could have been Occam sneaking up on me with his razor.

I suppose sometimes these minor injuries are just not noticed at the time, as the mind is focused on other things?

Correct. This happens to me a lot as I have a one track mind and a relatively high pain threshold. Except my hands, there I do notice.

I get these kinds of scratches too, only mine don't tend to hurt and always seem to be very superficial - only on the very top layer of skin. Usually I feel them as a slightly raised line on the skin before I actually see them. Very odd.

I get these kinds of scratches too, only mine don't tend to hurt and always seem to be very superficial - only on the very top layer of skin. Usually I feel them as a slightly raised line on the skin before I actually see them. Very odd.
Yes, that description fits mine too. It shows no sign of healing after two days.
I mentioned it was slightly curved. But if the scratch was made by my left hand, the curvature seems the wrong way. Odd indeed.

I can't figure out these scratches. My fingernails are always kept clipped short, so I don't think it's that.

I remember years ago I woke up one morning and found these purplish dots under my skin on the side of my left shoulder. They were in almost perfect rows of three IIRC, and maybe six down. Never figured out a reasonable explanation for it. I checked thoroughly to see if there was anything in the bed that I could have lain on, but there was nothing. It was around the same time that I became involved with the Ordo Typhonis, and at the time I probably considered it as being somewhat spiritually auspicious o_O

There was that case of the bloke out in the American wilderness who stumbled upon a landed saucer, approached it and got blasted by heat from a vent, leaving a pattern of dots much like you describe. He was scarred for life in his case, though, I presume your dots cleared up shortly after?

There was that case of the bloke out in the American wilderness who stumbled upon a landed saucer, approached it and got blasted by heat from a vent, leaving a pattern of dots much like you describe. He was scarred for life in his case, though, I presume your dots cleared up shortly after?

That rings a bell, but yes my ones did disappear eventually, but it took quite some time.

I was out this afternoon, but early this evening I noticed I had a 2" plus scratch on the inside of my right forearm. It's reddish, as if somewhat inflamed. Now I'm pretty sure it wasn't there this morning, when I showered, but I can't think how I got it.
Alyssa reports on her thread today that she has also got strange scratches (but burning and itchy, unlike mine), and posts images.

My scratch is still there, almost unchanged, so I thought it might be a good idea to post a pic of it. Easier said than done! It's hard to get a pic of the inside of your right fore-arm when you usually use that hand to take photos! Plus the flash kept going off and spoiling the shot. I may have to wait for daylight to try again.

Scratches.... just scratches? You lot are pure amateurs. I am always sporting a bruise or other that I don't remember getting. And I too have a scratch - dunno how it got there. Oddly, like Rynner2 it is also on my right forearm.
IMAG0153.jpg
Ignore the big scar, that was an encounter with a non-safety glass pane in a door in my childhood.

I'm not sure we should post such pics - there are probably pervs out there who get off on this sort of thing! ;)

I just experienced a new-to-me minor strangeness: I bought a four pack of beer today, but when I went to open one I noticed the tin was slightly dented. Well, stuff happens, but when I opened it the can was not full, and the beer was nearly flat. Presumably one of the dents hid a tiny hole, but the dents were near the top, and my shopping trolley was quite dry. (My shopping remained in the trolley for about 2 hours before it was unpacked.)

Don't know how that would happen, I'd be inclined to take it back. This week I bought a pack of crispy bhuja snacks with the rest of the shopping.
It wasn't till I got home that things fell everywhere when I pulled it out of the bag and I realised someone had opened the top, helped themselves and used the reseal part at the top.
I took it back and got another one, checking this time.

Scratches.... just scratches? You lot are pure amateurs. I am always sporting a bruise or other that I don't remember getting. And I too have a scratch - dunno how it got there. Oddly, like Rynner2 it is also on my right forearm. View attachment 164 Ignore the big scar, that was an encounter with a non-safety glass pane in a door in my childhood.

That looks uncannily like MY right forearm. I have 2 mysterious scratches - not sure but they may be from one of my clumsier cats - and a scar from a childhood accident.

Don't know how that would happen, I'd be inclined to take it back. This week I bought a pack of crispy bhuja snacks with the rest of the shopping.
It wasn't till I got home that things fell everywhere when I pulled it out of the bag and I realised someone had opened the top, helped themselves and used the reseal part at the top.
I took it back and got another one, checking this time.
So that was either someone who worked in the warehouse, someone who worked in the store, or a very strange shoplifter. With scissors and tape. o_O

Scratches.... just scratches? You lot are pure amateurs. I am always sporting a bruise or other that I don't remember getting. And I too have a scratch - dunno how it got there. Oddly, like Rynner2 it is also on my right forearm. Ignore the big scar, that was an encounter with a non-safety glass pane in a door in my childhood.

Go on then, as we've seen yours...I've come over slightly bashful and so have resized my photo so as not to titillate them scar perverts too much. Haven't a clue how I came by this :confused:

mystery scratch resized4FTMB.png

So that was either someone who worked in the warehouse, someone who worked in the store, or a very strange shoplifter. With scissors and tape. o_O
It's school holidays at the moment and there were lots of parents with children in the store, so I thought it was probably one of them.
You can rip the tops of those packets easily and there's a double seal type of thing at the top where you can reseal for later use.
I would usually notice but there were a couple of screaming children that distracted me, and the cashier didn't notice it either.

Don't know how that would happen, I'd be inclined to take it back.
Yeah right! I take an empty opened dented can back and claim it wasn't full when I opened it... :p

I suppose it would depend on the seller, but if they know you it could be worth it. They probably dropped the pack in the first place causing the damage.

In my student days one of my housemates bought a four-pack of Fosters - one was only about a quarter-full.

We sent it back (unopened, granted) to Fosters in one of those poster tubes, and they sent us a voucher for a case!

Was making a tomato sauce and was furious with myself as I seemed to be out of tinned tomatoes which never happens. Luckily I found a tin at the back of the cupboard. When I turned around to put it on the bench lo and behold sitting there was another can of tinned tomatoes! Very odd. It wasn't there a moment ago I'm sure.

I sometimes have the same thing myself.. I had come to the end of a tube of cream which is great for ant bites and looked for a new one I was sure I had bought.
Looked everywhere including the medicine cabinet :no luck so I bought another one last Sunday.
This morning I was looking for something else in the cabinet and lo and behold there was the other tube sitting right at the front.

Both my sons suffer with that!
I bought a bottle of honey and glycerine cough syrup for my youngest a few weeks ago, brought it home and popped it into the medicine cupboard. Went to get it this week...not there! No one else has moved it. Guess it'll turn up in due course (after I've bought another)

My Scratch - update! ;)

Yesterday it looked much as it did a week ago, when it first appeared.

This morning I woke up to find myself scratching the inside of my right forearm! But it was pretty light scratching which didn't leave a mark.

But THE scratch, although about the same length as before, was noticably paler. Later, small thin flakes of skin peeled off, leaving it paler still. It can't be detected by touch now, and I guess it will heal completely in a few days.

Still a mystery about what caused it, though.

You don't have feather filled pillows do you? Probably not, but sometimes the sharp end of the feather finds it's way out of the cover. I sometimes get them when I've slept with my arm on my comfort pillow ( filled with feathers just like at my grandmother's house)

Slippers slip up

As I stagger my way towards entropy, despite having been able to avoid wearing or owning such a thing as a pair of slippers for many decades, the damn things are now almost always stuck on my feet from the instant I return home.

And at bedtime, the standard ritual has become sit on bed, feet out of slippers, swing the legs round into bed, sleep. In the morning (you've guessed this bit, yes?) the process is reversed, slippers re engaged, off we go.

Except not this morning. Today both slippers were fully a foot further away from the bed than they've ever been before. That's an anatomical foot's worth...It would've been anatomically impossible to have done my usual de-slipper manoeuvre, as my butt would've been in mid-air.

All standard variables (other people involved /me not having done the ritual-style removal) can be ignored.

I'm left with poltergeist, the entire world tilting slightly and briefly, or some unlikely impossible vibration. So that's poltergeist, then.

Back