• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

You don't have feather filled pillows do you?)
At least one of my two pillows has feathers, but they've given me no problems for years. And an arm movement that caused a 2" scratch would surely have woken me?

At least one of my two pillows has feathers, but they've given me no problems for years. And an arm movement that caused a 2" scratch would surely have woken me?

Don't let it get you down. Eider giant bedbugs or a live duck in your pillow.

...and as I said before, the scratch wasn't there when I showered in the morning, so I doubt it happened in the night.

Admittedly the scratches ive had have been short and thin, once got a slightly larger scratch on my face. But thinking about it, a scratch that size would probably have needed a swans wing feather!
Still, rule out the logical stuff first and consider whats left :)

Slippers slip up

As I stagger my way towards entropy, despite having been able to avoid wearing or owning such a thing as a pair of slippers for many decades, the damn things are now almost always stuck on my feet from the instant I return home.

And at bedtime, the standard ritual has become sit on bed, feet out of slippers, swing the legs round into bed, sleep. In the morning (you've guessed this bit, yes?) the process is reversed, slippers re engaged, off we go.

Except not this morning. Today both slippers were fully a foot further away from the bed than they've ever been before. That's an anatomical foot's worth...It would've been anatomically impossible to have done my usual de-slipper manoeuvre, as my butt would've been in mid-air.

All standard variables (other people involved /me not having done the ritual-style removal) can be ignored.

I'm left with poltergeist, the entire world tilting slightly and briefly, or some unlikely impossible vibration. So that's poltergeist, then.

Have you a cat? Inca is always picking things up and moving them

I have no known pets, or that would've been a sensible suggestion. But they'd've had to be the neatest of creatures...the slippers were just perfectly too far away. Maybe I'm in the wrong house....or shrunk from A3 down to A4

I don't suppose you needed to go to the loo and,half asleep, knocked them as you were going?

I don't suppose you needed to go to the loo and,half asleep, knocked them as you were going?
No, not so perfectly-aligned I couldn't have. But this morning, thankfully, my soles are resting where they were dropped. So if I'm being lulled into a real sense of security by an unseen agent, they're now trying to avoid raising my suspicions.

Ermintrude - by any chance, do you have an impish French neighbor named Amelie? :D

Re: the mysteriously appearing objects mentioned upthread - I've had several of these the last few days, including a particularly lucky one...

The last of my art pens ran out of ink, and I was feeling a bit gloomy because I can't afford to buy more this month. I'd decided to go ahead and use another kind of pen, even though it's not as good for drawing. A few minutes, later I was looking through a box for something else when I found three, count 'em, three, of the preferred art pens in the box. Not packaged, but all brand spanking new.

This might not seem very mysterious on its face, but it is. I don't normally have extra art supplies around (budget won't allow it). I use them until they are gone and know where they all are since I use them frequently. Three of these pens having escaped my notice, in that particular box, is darn nigh impossible. Other family members have no lnowledge of how the pens came to be there, either.

I thought about the dream I'd about my great aunt (mentioned in the "dreaming of the dead" thread) and how she'd said "things materialize - there is no rational explanation." so I just decided to be grateful to whatever it was that sent them, and get back to drawing. :)

Reminds me of the time my friend wanted some cigarettes so she locked up the house and we walked to a local shop to get some.
When we came back every door and window was open and there was a pack on the kitchen bench.

Reminds me of the time my friend wanted some cigarettes so she locked up the house and we walked to a local shop to get some.
When we came back every door and window was open and there was a pack on the kitchen bench.
An entity with a sense of humour, clearly! :D

You don't have feather filled pillows do you? Probably not, but sometimes the sharp end of the feather finds it's way out of the cover. I sometimes get them when I've slept with my arm on my comfort pillow ( filled with feathers just like at my grandmother's house)
That may be why I've had a few mysterious scratches...I've got feather pillows.

Ermintrude - by any chance, do you have an impish French neighbor named
Ulalume, no I do not, but many thanks for the link.

I, too, have had a projected pencil experience. Somewhat odder than yours, in that the pencil actually appeared in my hand.

Mid-1970s, lying lazily on top of my bed at home, late one weekend afternoon, I was vaguely thinking I should write-down a list of what I needed to do the following week. This was something I did not want to do in itself, nor did I want to think about the chores facing me. I was in one of these weird teenage glazed-over states of daydream, a latched trap of sleeping wakefulness.

And there it was - in my hand, a pencil I didn't own, from nowhere. It could've been there for ages, I just do not know, but I still remember the feel of it. Incredibly dry and sharp-sided, how it appeared in my hand I have no true idea. It was unpainted, apparently brand-new, and marked 'War Economy' stamped into the side of it. The pencil had been sharpened neatly with a knife (pencil sharpeners were standard in our house, as were pens and Pop-a-Point pencils...who remembers them?)

I showed it to my Dad, and he asked me where the hell I found it. I said it was from my bedroom, but (and I didn't go into details with him) to be honest it actually found me.

It somehow appeared the hell into my hand, in reaction to me not wanting to think about that list. No, it wasn't from my room, I never saw such a thing before or since. Very weird

Years ago when one of my friends had left an abusive husband and taken very little with her, we were in the unit she had moved into.
She wanted me to help her fill out some forms but she didn't have a pen and I hadn't brought one either. Next thing there was a pen on the table that neither of us had seen before.

Of course I seem to attract the ones that take things away. TodayI went to Target and as they had some clothes on special I bought 2 light cardigans and a light knitted top.
I took them out of the bag, hung them over my arm to take them to the bedroom, turned, and the top had disappeared.
I looked everywhere I could think even under the couch and the bin but no luck, so as I had to go and pick up my daughter I asked whoever took it to please return it as it matched the cardigan.
Anyway when we returned my daughter walked into the lounge and guess what? She found it sitting on the floor in front of the couch.
I'd knelt down before to look under the couch so I wouldn't have missed it.

We have whole threads on disappearing and re-appearing objects.

Can't seem to find one just now, though... :D

You folks with scratches - do you use soap bars?

They sometimes (rarely) have weird scratchy bits sticking off them. Or some sort of exfoliating shower gel?

All the soap I use is smooth.

Whilst doing some cleaning today ( as a treat, instead of marking - yes really! ), I felt something cold in my cleavage. On further exploration the toggle of my jacket had found its way down there, but a bit later - a penny fell out of the bottom of my t-shirt after obviously having been lodged there too. Now how did this happen? I was cleaning the cooker at the time, so no money on that. Also, I had been wearing the same outfit since early morning, so it didn't sneak in there whilst I was getting dressed. After dropping off son at school, I went straight to my marking - again no money anywhere. Minor strangeness indeed.

Was the coldness the toggle or the penny? If the toggle was plastic or light alloy, the penny wins as having been a sudden non-bodyheated interloper.

Was the coldness the toggle or the penny? If the toggle was plastic or light alloy, the penny wins as having been a sudden non-bodyheated interloper.
Having just checked, the toggle looks like metal, but is actually some kind of light alloy. I have not worn it for a while and the toggle is still relatively warm. If it happens again, I am hoping for a bigger denomination!

As an aside, and also related to things just suddenly appearing.
Yesterday, a man was coming to collect a tyre, so I moved the tyre out of the garage ready to do the deal.
Anyway, I walked back via the path that leads from garage to front door, past the living room picture window and by some dense tall lavender bushes. I don't use this path often as I don't like brushing up against the lavender, preferring to take the long way round, but I do take it regularly.
Right in front of the picture window, I suddenly noticed a set of keys. One that I had forgotten I even had. It must have been there for at least a year, as a. it had gone very rusty ( inc. my Radley scotty dog keyring :( ) and b. it had the key to the old garage door on it, which was replaced in January last year, as well as the front door key.
The conclusion is that it must have been there for over a year, BUT it was obvious when I saw it, and we must have travelled that path at least 30-40 times between us in the past year. This would never have been in the dark, as the path is not lit.
So, keys yesterday, and penny today. What next?

As an aside, and also related to things just suddenly appearing......What next?

Well, I'm quite surprised that you don't know already what's going to randomly appear, with your genuinely-impressive remote character analysis capabilities.

For me, it's got to be 'the third times's a charm'....maybe from one of those beautiful twee silvered bracelets that used to be all the rage last century, and are now almost conspicuous by their absence (my fave was the piggy bank with the half-stuck penny). Or maybe you'll find a player token in your pocket from Cluedo .

If this comes true, give me plenty of warning, and I shall either run away forever, or become a street magician.

Re your rusty keys: check the stone/mortar area under which they were found, and see if there's any evidence of rust or other electrochemical deposition from the keys on to the cill/wall whatever.

If not, a possible scenario is that they were originally dropped by you or yours, and unseen amongst the undergrowth for many a flora-veiled month. There is then a visitation from a vigilant and honest postal delivery person, or one of these newspaper children (we don't have them anymore around here, I presume they've all been replaced by the internet). Your ground keys are uplifted by said kindly peeps to their new putative finders' eye level location, et voila (I think that even serial killers place street-found gloves/hats/keys onto wall vantage points, so as to facilitate tearful reunions between bereft citizens and their missing paraphernalia. One of the final unbroken altruistic covenants in a society slipping into total anarchy (I mean it would be, not that it is in that state. Yet)

Another option is that the missing keys were spirited away by garden fairies, and only returned because you remembered to leave out breadcrumbs for the birds.....ooh, ooh, wait, magpies!? Do we still have magpies taking away bright shiny keys and suchlike, whenceforth to install them whimsically within their nests? That's a bit of a Dorothy L. Sayers sort of solution, so perhaps I only include that since it might also have been a vector for your lucky penny booby prize....bird-dropped loose change

I like your musings, and you have certainly taken care of all possibilities :).However, I had not been outside for several hours, when the 'penny cleavage' incident happened. The postie is a possibility, although he tends to avoid that path too, and although we do still have some paper boys and girls in the village, I get my papers free from Waitrose. We do have some very kind people in the village though, I have had people knocking on my door to tell me I have left the lights on/roof off on the car for instance. I would've thought that the postie would post them or ring my doorbell ( we often have a chat ) rather than leave them on the ground.
I don't think it is the kindly fairy folk, as if I left breadcrumbs out there would be even more serial killing carnage thanks to our two cats than there already is.
Regarding the charm bracelet, I know exactly what you mean, as I was an owner of such an item. I eventually sold it on a car boot in the early 90's for the princely sum of £12. I guess these days they have been replaced by Pandora bracelets and charms.

Today I planned to go shopping, and thought of treating myself to a bottle of rum. The post came before I left home, and it contained Tesco loyalty card coupons. One of them was for money off a bottle of rum, which was nice! :)

Got to Tesco and picked up several items, including my rum, but the rum coupon seemed to have disappeared!
But now I'm not sure whether I did have a coupon at all - did I just just imagine it because rum was on my mind? Another possibility is that when I was in the shop, sorting through my coupons, I accidentally dropped it.

When I got home I thoroughly searched my wallet again, and then my desk, and then the WPB (because I'd thrown some out-dated coupons away before I went out), but still no rum coupon!

It's enough to drive me to drink!

And we have more pennies......... The back of the garage has been converted into a sewing studio / home office for me, and before I ran my online tutorial today, I wanted to hoover up all the bits of thread that were lying around - I can't work in a mess. As it's a small space I got out the hand held hoover and was hoovering the floor on my hand and knees so I could really see what was on it. Suddenly there was a clunking/clattering in the hoover, and on inspection of the see through dustchamber I could see a penny. There had definitely not been a penny on the floor before, and I had emptied the hoover before using it.

... and was hoovering the floor on my hand and knees so I could really see what was on it. Suddenly there was a clunking/clattering in the hoover
Aha! The penny drops...perhaps literally from your (how shall I say?) money chest? Oops...! Anyway, just a illustrative allusion rather than a working theory.

Did you take a mental note as to whether the pennies were special in any way, and/or similar to each-other?

A source of unexpected 'pennies from heaven' (indoor, floored) is of course, the Tipped Sofa. Might there have been a recent soft furnishings major movements makeover?

Aha! The penny drops...perhaps literally from your (how shall I say?) money chest? Oops...! Anyway, just a illustrative allusion rather than a working theory.

Did you take a mental note as to whether the pennies were special in any way, and/or similar to each-other?

A source of unexpected 'pennies from heaven' (indoor, floored) is of course, the Tipped Sofa. Might there have been a recent soft furnishings major movements makeover?
I still have the pennies so can compare. One is still stuck in the hoover, but the one from the other day is a non-descript 1999 penny. No furniture movements, and I hoover my sofas every other week so there is never really a secret stash of pennies. The studio just has two desks, a chair and shelving ( and seven sewing machines - I have sewing machine OCD ). But you are right, I was bent over on the floor so it could have been another money chest aport!

Back