• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Skjåholmen in Finnmark. That's pretty far north in Norway. Don't expect to see any polar bears though. :)

This just happened:

I was taking a shower as usual, and while washing my - ahem - btm, I suddenly noticed a dark stain on the inside of my ring finger. Thinking it was you-know-what, I tried to wash it off - but it didn't wash off! In fact, it looks more like a bruise, but it wasn't there when I started showering.

But that's a srange place to get a bruise anyway - the fingers either side are unmarked. I hope this is just a minor strangeness, and not the beginning of something more serious... :confused:

This just happened:

I was taking a shower as usual, and while washing my - ahem - btm, I suddenly noticed a dark stain on the inside of my ring finger. Thinking it was you-know-what, I tried to wash it off - but it didn't wash off! In fact, it looks more like a bruise, but it wasn't there when I started showering.

But that's a srange place to get a bruise anyway - the fingers either side are unmarked. I hope this is just a minor strangeness, and not the beginning of something more serious... :confused:

Hopefully its just a bruise but do visit your gp to be on the safe side.

On Wednesday evening I was taking my meds and noticed that I'd only have 2 days worth left out of the strips fourteen tabs, as it takes 3 working days (including the day it's deposited) to get a script filled I'd be left without any meds for the whole weekend. Noticed again the next day that I'd have Friday's then I'd be up Schitt Creek until Monday. On Friday morning I remembered to make an appointment for that day using one of the surgery's emergency appts in the afternoon. Went in made my request to the doc, took the rebuke about getting my repeat script in in a timely manner meekly and hauled the meds home. Taking my meds that night I see... a whole weeks worth of tabs still on one side of all the strips.

Schitt Creek, eh? I know that place too...

animal2.jpg
Thanks for the reindeer identification. I have found another set of them in the cam pictures and one looks almost alien. That white shape reminds me of those white "puppet on stilts" figures in that famous video (you know what I mean). Can't make it bigger than this.

Now this is weird. For the last week or so, I've been reading a lot about conjure work and root magic. This lead me to regret (for the hundreth time) not buying a book of traditional conjure tales I'd seen in a bookstore many years ago. I'd gone back to get it later, but by then it was gone and I'd never seen another copy since.

Well, just a bit ago, my youngest was busy taking everything out from the shelf under the telephone table. It had the typical stuff in it - phone books, address books, paper and the like. Suddenly, an unfamiliar book slid onto the floor. It was the book of conjure tales! :eek: :eek:

It's an old library copy. The stamp on the back says it's from a library about 200 miles away. I have no idea how it came here, and what's more, that shelf has been tidied up every week - the book was never there before.

I'll be investigating this, but in the meantime I'm grateful for this stroke of good luck. Perhaps Papa Legba was smiling on me - I did have a dream with what I came to find out was his symbol the other night. You never know...

I had a vivid dream the other night that Hugh Jackman died whilst filming a stunt for a new movie. He was riding something like a jet ski in a water tank, got into difficulties and died at the scene.

I'm very nervously checking the news every morning, hoping that wasn't a premonition...

Now this is weird. For the last week or so, I've been reading a lot about conjure work and root magic. This lead me to regret (for the hundreth time) not buying a book of traditional conjure tales I'd seen in a bookstore many years ago. I'd gone back to get it later, but by then it was gone and I'd never seen another copy since.

Well, just a bit ago, my youngest was busy taking everything out from the shelf under the telephone table. It had the typical stuff in it - phone books, address books, paper and the like. Suddenly, an unfamiliar book slid onto the floor. It was the book of conjure tales! :eek: :eek:

It's an old library copy. The stamp on the back says it's from a library about 200 miles away. I have no idea how it came here, and what's more, that shelf has been tidied up every week - the book was never there before.

I'll be investigating this, but in the meantime I'm grateful for this stroke of good luck. Perhaps Papa Legba was smiling on me - I did have a dream with what I came to find out was his symbol the other night. You never know...

Crikey O'Reilly! :eek: Don't phone the library, it might get you a fine.

A recent bit of minor strangeness, late one evening my partner and I were watching TV when she left to get something or other from a cottage I keep as a guest house for family. The cottage is just a few seconds walk from my house, anyway she came back a few minutes later a bit flustered and told me how she walked into the lonely kitchen and as she was doing whatever she heard a small noise as of something tiny being dropped behind her, and when she turned round she noticed a shiny key on the floor in front of her. The key we realised was the one for the hallway door of the cottage which had been missing for days.

I just sitting here reading this forum, and out the corner of my eye i saw a black blob about 4 to 5 inch in length, which shrunk in size, as it moved round the room in a circular motion, i looked at it and wondered wtf it was, there was nothing to cause this, but, i carried on watching, trying to assess the situation and ya know what it was? I have a little lamp with a shade and there was a fly running around the top edge of the said shade :p

I just sitting here reading this forum, and out the corner of my eye i saw a black blob about 4 to 5 inch in length, which shrunk in size, as it moved round the room in a circular motion, i looked at it and wondered wtf it was, there was nothing to cause this, but, i carried on watching, trying to assess the situation and ya know what it was? I have a little lamp with a shade and there was a fly running around the top edge of the said shade :p

Exactly this thing happened to me a few days ago, except that in my case it was a tiny little moth, of which there seems to have been some kind of mass hatching. I'd thought I was going mad until the cause was discovered.

The origins of the mysterious book have been explained. My 13 year old says his grandmother (my mother-in-law) had sent it to him and he'd put it on the shelf without mentioning it. She'd bought it at a library sale, which explains the stamp from the distant library, too (so no fine to worry about, thankfully!)

What's still a bit strange is that she'd sent this book just when I was wishing for it. I hadn't mentioned it to anyone, so it's a pretty amazing coincidence all the same (and a very good book, too).

ETA - re: moths in the lampshade - there was a chilling scene with a moth in a lampshade in the movie (and book) "The Girl in a Swing". I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen or read it, but it was symbolically ominous. Probably my favorite scene in the film, actually.

Last edited:
I remember when i was younger my sister awoke me, she had the bed on the other side of the room, i was by the window, she was terrified, she said there were two orbs jiggling on the wall, i was terrified to, then i went calm and thought, i am going to investigate, turns out that the curtains had a small gap, the street light was shining thro said gap and bouncing off of the mirror and onto the wall creating the strange orbs on the wall

As to my post above, it happened again, it wasnt a fly, it was a ladybird :p

My old cat who has had many nicknames one of which is now "Barbary Joe"

He was a famous pirate cat on the Barbary Coast in a previous life or so he tells me, not sure if I should believe him or not.

Anyhow he comes through the catflap into the lounge and just as I say "Hi Barbary" I simultaneously switch film channels to a film called Flame of the Barbary Coast.

Obscure old film from 1944 collides with unusual pet cat nickname.

I bet that's never happened before.

Uair01. Is that a barrier (left hand side of photo) or is a height warning regarding overhead wires?

If it is a barrier, why put one there?

I had a vivid dream the other night that Hugh Jackman died whilst filming a stunt for a new movie. He was riding something like a jet ski in a water tank, got into difficulties and died at the scene.

I'm very nervously checking the news every morning, hoping that wasn't a premonition...

Have you seen The Prestige?

My Scratch - update! ;)

Yesterday it looked much as it did a week ago, when it first appeared.

But THE scratch, although about the same length as before, was noticably paler. Later, small thin flakes of skin peeled off, leaving it paler still. It can't be detected by touch now, and I guess it will heal completely in a few days.

Still a mystery about what caused it, though.
I posted that on the 27th of January.

The latest Scratch update is that I now have a faint scar on my arm. It can't be felt, and is just a slightly darker line than the paler skin either side. But I would have expected it to be gone altogether after two months. Probably healing gets slower as you age. :(

I posted that on the 27th of January.

The latest Scratch update is that I now have a faint scar on my arm. It can't be felt, and is just a slightly darker line than the paler skin either side. But I would have expected it to be gone altogether after two months. Probably healing gets slower as you age. :(

Infected insect bit? I have a doozy of a scar from a bite which I'm thinking was a kiwi spider. Just thought it was a regular mozzie bite, until it got crusty and when the scab fell of I had a deep scar on my leg. I had no other symptoms at the time so thought nothing of it.

Hi, I'm new on here. I have a few stories of (very) minor strangeness to share. One that comes to mind is the time I had a huge loaf of bread mysteriously appear in my shopping basket down the Co-op. I wasn't buying bread that day and it was a loaf of white bread which I don't usually buy. I'm guessing it was a prank although I don't remember there being many other shoppers around at the time.

Back