• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

uair01 said:
Nope. No such objects in my family. I'm the first Catholic (of the progressive sort) in two generations of Atheists.
Fascinating. Do you consider yourself to be the reactive product of faithless ancestors? And being entirely honest (which, of course, you must be) would you have become a Catholic if your family history had been that of devout believers?

Within your awoken belief, how do you feel God considers members of your family, those that are good, kind wonderful people, that do everything well in the world that the best of Christian Catholics would do? But they don't believe in him?

Do you consider a return to faith is something all children that have atheist parents should do? I'm sorry, I shall shut-up now, with my interested-but-puzzled questions.

uair01 said:
But it was a special "literary" edition, without the chapter&verse numbers. Just text, printed like a novel. It is a very different reading experience from the traditional typography.
I must look out for such a version, and see how it compares with the King James classic.

uair01 said:
But not finding this Bible it is probably my punishment for swearing while searching for it. As I was groping in my bookcase, ten other books fell out and onto my foot. Then I used the Name Of The Lord in vain :)

In what way? If you believe in God, why wouldn't you instinctively use his name when experiencing shock and pain? Even people that think they don't believe in God will do this, always have in the past, fairly likely to do so in our respective remaining futures? If you have come to believe in God, don't you concede that on some levels maybe he's kind-of glad people swear and use his name when bad things happen? But not as much as when they swear a legal oath in court, or if they call on his name during a formal act of worship in a church (which will either be his own suprapersonal favourite, or the 'passeth understanding' clause may apply).

What if someone that believes in another God, deeply, personally and with all their soul, gets a fright or is hurt and consequently swears and takes the name of their God 'in vain'? As in "Oh Krishna, I've done ...."

Would the Christian God believed in by Catholics also be saddened by this action?

I'm just trying to understand how belief works, especially at the interface with other beliefs. Especially since all belief systems (aside from, allegedly, Buddism) know intrinsically that they are, by dint of their existence, more correct/perfected/attuned/valued than all the rest. Again by definition they know, for certain, both in the main and in the minor, that they are uniquely right, and the rest are assuredly wrong (21st Century religious tolerance aside).

Well done you on having bucked the trend. It shows character and a strand of special inner strength. But please be very very careful that I or others don't sway your regained faith. With pesky logic, or comparative religious paradoxes or deconstructionalist arguments. But ideally God wouldn't let that happen. After all, it would be unfair to both you and him. (shut up now, @Ermintrude !)

Fascinating. Do you consider yourself to be the reactive product of faithless ancestors?@Ermintrude !)

No, I think it's a subterranean strain that still runs in the family. Some aunts of mine (I never really knew) were active Catholics. My mother has got interested again in old age.

What if someone that believes in another God, deeply, personally and with all their soul ... @Ermintrude !)

Personally (and likely against doctrine) I think that all religions are "fingers pointing at the moon" and that you should look at the moon and not the finger. But I also think you should stick with the one that fits your cultural background and not try to pick up Buddhism etc. because you can never assimilate all the cultural background that should come with it.

I also have a theological booklet somewhere on "Calling the name of God". In the introduction the author stresses the intimate relationship between God and man and mentions that using God's name during intercourse is a very understandable thing to do :)

And I believe (and I imagine to have experienced it) that God can have a wicked sense of humor. But the editors and compilers of the Bible books have left very little mention of it :)

Thank you uair01 beautiful images, i always like to pick snails up when i see them on the path or road so the lil things dont get crushed. Loved the one with the little umbrella :D

Every time I clear some drawers out a few days will pass and then....a situation will present itself where I could have used one of the disposed items. Why does that happen? Is some relation of the tangle fairy to blame?

I can only say 'me too' And in some cases (because I have a large outbuilding that I can dump stuff in) the disposed items have been sitting there for YEARS unwanted - but within days of final disposal one at least of the items that have gone will be needed desperately.

On the cycle track cycling to work at night. I get a flash of light in my helmet mirror and I look and it seems someone behind me has a helmet mounted light like me. Like mine it's pretty bright. I'm thinking who the hell could that be as hardly anyone cycles that way at night. I bump into maybe 2 people a year.

Anyhow the light vanishes, yet there is no real place they could have gone. A truck stop next to the track is fenced in and you can't cross the road on the other side.

I definitely saw a bike helmet light. The only explanation is that I had seen the past me of around a minute ago! Doppelganger-a go go!

Grr Fortean follow up. I spotted the light again, in the same place and this time stopped and turned around. It was actually a static halogen light on a pole near the truck stop. I'd never see it as I don't cycle towards it at night.

Teleporting dog?

Most likely scenario is the dog crosses in front of the cars and has a miraculous bit of luck to end up between the two as they pass.

Could it be the exhaust fumes covered it for that brief time?
Possibly.
I think it's a combination of that and the fact that there's a LOT of video blur and possibly something in the video camera (software or hardware) that was causing focussing difficulties (because of the speed). The dog may have initially been focussed out, then the camera was moved to focus to the dog, at which point the camera caught up and recorded the dog.
I suspect things would have been more clear-cut with a film camera.

Or
Possibly.
I think it's a combination of that and the fact that there's a LOT of video blur and possibly something in the video camera (software or hardware) that was causing focussing difficulties (because of the speed). The dog may have initially been focussed out, then the camera was moved to focus to the dog, at which point the camera caught up and recorded the dog.
I suspect things would have been more clear-cut with a film camera.

Or maybe it was just a teleporting dog!

Just returned Friday after a few days at Norfolk Island with Probus.
A couple of minorly strange things happened. My friend had lost her glasses and was frantically trying to find them.
It was a large room and her bed was at the front of the room although she had spread her clothes all over as her case had got wet , including a jacket on my bed.
After she left to go to reception to see if they were there, I moved the jacket to hang it up, and there was nothing on it, but when I went to put on my shoes, her glasses were in one of them. Guess she must have dropped them when she put the jacket on my bed., but she thought it was a mischievous spirit.
The other odd thing was when we visited the convict ruins and were in a restored room now a church. I opted to walk out the back and around the side as the stone steps out were rather steep.
When I came around the back there was a door open and I saw some people go in, so decided to have a look. It was a type of museum with little glass cases holding some artifacts and there was another room through the doorspace.
Other people were inside further in looking at the things but suddenly this rather fierce woman came from the other room and said rather forcefully" Can I help you?" and when I said that I was thought some of the people I was with had come in she said that I should have used the other entrance although I couldn't see where that would be.
I walked out and told some of the others and some of them had been in and looked and not seen her at all.
Anyway when we went to the cyclotron which is a depiction of the mutiny on the Bounty, on the wall were some old photographs and one was of a descendant of Fletcher Christian and the face was identical so maybe she was related.
The people on Norfolk were so gentle and friendly and she was the only one who made me feel uneasy.

As I rode the metro to work last week I looked into a boring Dutch city park. The asphalt path bent to the left and a middle-aged woman came around the bend on her bicycle. Then - in a split second before the view was obscured by bushes - I saw a white, upright, child-sized object running in the same direction behind her. It looked white and angular, like it was made from origami. I'm certain it was just an optical illusion (of a white dog or something like that) but a nice experience anyway.

Not actually my personal experience, but that of a close friend who had no reason for, or history of, invention or embellishment.

So, A (my friend) was working in his shop when B (a mutual friend) came by to show off his latest car. Being a quiet period, he followed B outside and spent a while drooling over the car in question (a BMW M3 Evo). After some time, B mentioned that he'd discovered something a bit odd while messing around with the remote locking fob. They both walked down the pavement, away from the car, checking every few paces whether the fob was still in-range, until they reached its limit.
B then took a few paces back towards the car, and told A to watch carefully. He held the fob against his temple, closed his eyes, and clicked the button; nothing happened, obviously, as the sender was pushed against his skin. He then opened his eyes, looked at the car and clicked the button, and the doors duly unlocked. A assumed he was having his leg pulled, and demanded to have a go himself, and the same thing happened.
This makes no sense whatsoever to me. Assuming the fob used IR signals, they either bounce off reflective surfaces or pass through open space - they have no penetrative ability through material such as skin. I guess the signals could have been wave-based, but again, how would an eyeball provide any kind of refractive and/or amplifying effect? (A insisted that B didn't have his other hand in his pocket ;) )

Many years ago, long before sat navs I had a bizarre experience whilst trying to contact a customer. I pulled up near a post office in a rural area and double checked my map before deciding to ring the customer. After few seconds of ringing I heard a computer like voice say, "please wait" followed by series of bleeps. I then heard a women say "hello" with an echo. I made my introduction and began explaining that I was lost when a mans voice cut in. "who is this", he asked. I was then told I had rung their conference call number which I hadnt. A voice in the background made a reference to some other person with the surname Newly. It seemed they were waiting for another member of the conference to join them. I hung up and finally got through to the customer.

Weird thing is, my customers surname was Newly too. A slightly spooky coincidence.

What's this? Seen in an antique shop.
faces1.jpg

faces2.jpg
Probably the same as this, in the same shop window.

The one on the right looks like a guy i know
They slot in something, i think, they look familiar, prolly something i saw on telly tho

Doing the usual Sunday morning stuff i had to go down to the freezer to get some dog breakfast going. Once down there i noticed that a cart used for hauling heavy stuff round the garden, but lately used for hauling the older dog round the roads (he cant walk on stone or concrete very well but manages when we hit the fields) had been moved (again) to an awkward spot directly in front of the freezer, meaning i had to shift it to get into the icy depths. While moving it i noticed that in the very middle of the base (where i've put a sheet of thick cardboard to make it more comfortable for him) was a little puddle. Not very big about 3" and irregular but with enough wet to run as i picked the sheet up to look underneath. The thing is it has been dry here (until yesterday), and the cart hasnt been out in the rain for a couple of weeks at least, the ceiling is completely dry-i triple checked being very wary of any stray water down there now. I came back upstairs and mentioned it to my eldest who then told me that she had noticed the puddle two days ago. This makes less sense as the wet should have been soaked up by the cardboard within a short amount of time, rather than forming a little patch that has (very tiny) depth. (This i put down to experience when we were previously caught out in showers and had to dry everything out).
The bigger mystery to me is where the wetness coming from, as i checked thoroughly why there was water where there shouldn't be any and apparently over a period of three days, but found nothing.

Is this in a shed down the garden? Rather than down in a basement?
Might it be dog pee?
Or...a crack in the floor, letting moisture in from below?

I had a similar mystery in the back of my garage. It seems that occasionally, the water level in the sewage pipes gets high enough for moisture to percolate up through a crack in the concrete floor, leading to a damp patch. For months, I thought it was a leaky roof.

Hi myth-thanks for the suggestion, -no the rooms were actually carpeted and furnished but (bear with me, long and rambling explanation ahead). After the floods that happened a couple of years ago the twins were watching the news reports goggle-eyed somewhat concerned in case we also had a flood. I assured them that this would never happen as we live on a hill and nowhere near where the major flooding was happening. I didnt take into account, of course, that a main water main in the road outside could develop a leak and the water filter down underground ending up 2" deep in both rooms. Then, after much aggravation, the last coat of paint was applied before new carpets, and that night, a drain apparently backed up resulting in 1" deep pond downstairs again. Again with the de-humidifiers, replastering etc now just waiting for the painters, so any stray water/drips whathaveyou and i'm all there. The rooms are as dry as they've ever been with 3 weeks of industrial de-humidifying, the floors are intact, the ceilings are dry as a bone and i'm stumped. Also after canvassing everyone no-one admits to moving the cart about in the first place, (this stands a couple of feet high on wheels so no major contact with the floor either).
If anything it's taught me to not assert anything to the small children as its just asking for it apparently. :)

Hmmm. If none of the kids will own up to moving the cart, then it's likely that one of them did something there and won't own up to that either. My thinking is - one of the kids used the cart to climb up to the freezer, and they probably pulled out something frozen. Perhaps a lump of ice, or a packet of frozen food - and this is what caused the little patch of water.
So...perhaps not so much a mystery, more like somebody not 'fessing up!

Ha well i wondered about the similarities between twins and apparent poltergeist activity when they were younger so there may be something in that. For now i'll just keep an eye open i suppose re unexpected watery patches. (and fingers crossed) :p

The bigger mystery to me is where the wetness coming from, as i checked thoroughly why there was water where there shouldn't be any and apparently over a period of three days, but found nothing.
I think we have a thread somewhere about water appearing where it shouldn't. I'll have a look when I get a minute. Or somebody else may know of it.

Doesn't GeorgeP have water mysteriously appearing in his bathroom, or something?

Strange thing, i was in the bath and suddenly the song Angel by Robbie Williams popped into my head and i started singing it and Mythopedias name popped in there as well (in my head, not into bathroom):oops: *hides*

Back