• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Two days ago was working on some house maintenance stuff. The TV was on in another room. I started humming the Scherzo from Beethoven’s Ninth (I’m such an esoteric kind of guy). No particular reason, it’s a piece I like and I always hum while I work. Five minutes later I went into the room where the TV was on and a new ad came on and the music was the Scherzo from the Ninth. It’s a famous piece, but how often does it get played on TV?

Maybe you'd seen the ad recently & it was subconsciously in your mind. A possibility?..

I believe I mentioned in an earlier post that I had had three strange things happen when passing through town.

The first was that I was walking along and suddenly I felt a tremendous 'bang'. It was just as if someone had walked straight through me. But no one was close.

The second and third were when I very clearly heard some one call (or rather say) my name. But on both occasions there was no one close.

It only dawned on me a month or two back that on all three occasions I was within 5 feet of the same spot.

Odd.

INT21
I've had the phenomena of someone saying my name, very clearly, right into my ear. This happened several times in my childhood...the male, adult voice would very calmly say "Nick" straight into my ear. It was always in my Nans scullery in Worthing when I stayed with her as a child. Never anywhere else.

I also used to have this odd thing happen where I would be sitting alone in my bedroom reading or listening to music when I would suddenly stop seeing the world around me but I'd be in total nothingness...I would have a sense of, not, who am I? But...what am I? I would be in this fugue for a few seconds literally wondering exactly what exactly I was and where was I? This would slowly fade and I'd "zone" back in to normality. Stopped happening in mid teens, never happened again. The only person I've ever met who understood this feeling exactly was my Girlfriend when I was 16 she described the same phenomena as me but, many children of my own later, no one has reported similar.

When I was little I could make myself feel very disturbed by realising that I was alive and how strange it was, like I was watching things from a great distance, including my own experience. Can't do it anymore, but if I think too strongly about being on the surface of a globe spinning through space I can properly freak myself out.

When I was little I could make myself feel very disturbed by realising that I was alive and how strange it was, like I was watching things from a great distance, including my own experience. Can't do it anymore, but if I think too strongly about being on the surface of a globe spinning through space I can properly freak myself out.

There you go..you too.

I've just been to the shop and walked back past a young girl with N stamped diagonally on her forehead .. she looked happy enough so I don't think it's a parental naughty punishment thing ? .. has some pop star recently stamped N diagonally on their forehead or something ?

stamped diagonally on her forehead ..
When you say 'stamped' do you mean as in branded, with a hot iron? As in body modification?

Or... if it was an inky tattoo, she might've scribbled an И on the back of her hand, as a reminder to call some Russian/Ukranian friend etc, but she fell asleep on the bus, and leaning against the window for 20mins, she unwittingly-enprinted her forehead.

I will admit I'm clutching at Cyrillics, with this one. And avoiding it being a Stürmruhnē

Last edited:
When you say 'stamped' do you mean as in branded, with a hot iron? As in body modification?

I hope not, she only looked about 10 .. and ink stamped .. I reckon she was being edgy and weird to try and impress her mates or something ? .. I was impressed ..

vlcsnap-2016-09-20-02h20m48s182.png

I reckon she was being edgy and weird to try and impress her mates or something ?
Well, since Rimmer's "H" was there to ensure everyone knew he was a hologram, her reverse "И" was probably....

Ok, I admit it, for a 10yr old muggle, it was almost-certainly just a Harry Potter DIY wannabe scar, as predicted upthread by @CarlosTheDJ

(but mirror-imaged, due to....mirrors, perhaps).

Or maybe minors making marker mischief

Sounds like you have your own internal Total Perspective Vortex.
(Wouldn't mind if some other people had that much perspective.)

I'd notice a couple of times lately that the water filling the radiators when i first switch on the central heating sounds like human voices.

This would be barely worth mentioning, except that the voice like sound has now happened twice without me having the heating on at all. :deny:

I'd notice a couple of times lately that the water filling the radiators when i first switch on the central heating sounds like human voices.

This would be barely worth mentioning, except that the voice like sound has now happened twice without me having the heating on at all. :deny:

Is your header tank working OK? The radiators should stay full all the time. If you are hearing noise when the pump comes on there is likely air in the system, which will bubble around as the system cools down.

Yep. Bleed air out of the radiators.

Sounds like you have your own internal Total Perspective Vortex.
(Wouldn't mind if some other people had that much perspective.)

Yes, that bit in HHGTTG strikes a chord in me. Unlike Zaphod, my ego isn't as big as the universe. It's barely as big as this room.

OQa1ctn.jpg
my local children's play centre has what seems to be an inset glass brick or small window in eye height facing the street(the windows are naturally too high up to look through). I haven't investigated this further, as I feel like I'm breaking a law just considering it.

OQa1ctn.jpg
my local children's play centre has what seems to be an inset glass brick or small window in eye height facing the street(the windows are naturally too high up to look through). I haven't investigated this further, as I feel like I'm breaking a law just considering it.
It might be a time capsule brick, to be opened in the future.

OQa1ctn.jpg

A “teaser trailer” for the paedo on the go?

maximus otter

Parabanal,

How do you account for the rather odd 'joint' half way down the wall and the window frames ?
It appears that the top part of the picture is shifter about an inch to the right relative to the bottom part.

Click on the picture to expand it and it is more obvious.

INT21

Parabanal,

How do you account for the rather odd 'joint' half way down the wall and the window frames ?
It appears that the top part of the picture is shifter about an inch to the right relative to the bottom part.

INT21
I think it's a poorly stitched Google Streetview image. That happens a lot.

It looks more like a letterbox, yes, I know, that's in a daft place as well

Just happened again. Lost something, asked for help, saw it an hour later where it should have been obvious before. Maybe my aging brain. Perhaps I should start putting out a saucer of milk.

Yesterday I was convinced that my boyfriend called me from the kitchen. It was definitely my name and it sounded just like him. It wasn't though and I don't think he was winding me up.

Last night, I awoke at around 2am, needing to go to the bathroom. As is my standard approach, all lights were off, and left off (I find this gloom technique helps get me back to sleep).

In the bathroom, I was standing washing my hands, and I could hear a distinct truly-weird buzzing/whining sound. It seemed to be from everywhere, and it sounded to be possibly electronic in nature....but I could not think what it was possibly coming from.

I kept moving about the place in the bathroom, in the safe twilight from the window, doing that instinctive action that most animals do when they're trying to identify a strange sound (tip your head, open your mouth and waggle your ears....or move about, slightly).

The noise was driving me insane. I could not figure-out where the hell it was coming from. I began to think of fringe theories, such as pressurised hot water or steam (impossible in our house), some abandoned electronic device in the attic (hugely unlikely).

I could not resist the conclusion that the sound seemed somehow to be localised, as if it were coming from a point in mid-air, as I tried fruitlessly to locate its source. At this point I decided that I was now mildly-spooked, and that turning on the light (hence really waking me up) no longer mattered.

So I pulled the lightswitch cord, click...and the sound immediately disappeared. Plus, no light was emitted from the energy-saving overhead lightbulb and shade, above.

And then I realised what had been going on. I went into a darkened bathroom, within which the overhead light had been turned-on by someone previously that night, who'd found the lightbulb had died, so that person had left the lightswitch ON. And the low-energy lightbulb had died, upon doing which it was giving our a minor-but-unmissable inductive whistle, either forever, or until I turned it off, or until it burned our house down.

I have a much-more extensive rant to impart later, on the subject of modern-day low-energy lights. This further epistle will appear soon. But meantime....the best place for low-energy lightbulbs is the bin.

Back