• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

There’s a sand and gravel quarry about 9 miles away apparently. I’ve never heard this though, until this spring/summer, so I wonder if it is heavy work somewhere closer (construction of homes etc) and the sound‘s just travelling. It’ll probably end up as ‘One of those things.’

Might not have to be that near, though? I'm not sure how far the sound of blasting would carry, but I know we used to know when blasting was carried out in the quarry that's around fifteen miles away, when the wind was in the right direction. Didn't make the house shake though.
Used to hear the military live fire exercises on the southern Dartmoor range (Okehampton Camp) in our village which was a good 18 miles away at least.

My minor strangeness:

I now get a lift into work each weekday morning, the agreed pick-up time being 07.50. Last Saturday morning I was dozing in bed when I heard someone impatiently 'tooting' on their car horn from right outside our front gate. I glanced at my watch and the time was 07.50 and momentarily thought I had missed my alarm. I'm sure it was pure coincidence, but I do wish I had thought to chuck some clothes on and check there wasn't a Vardøger of my lift waiting outside...

Last edited:
Used to hear the military live fire exercises on the southern Dartmoor range (Okehampton Camp) in our village which was a good 18 miles away at least.
If the air is still or the wind is in the right direction we can hear exercises on Salisbury Plain, but those tend to last for hours, not just the one strange ‘bang.’ It’s quite eerie hearing those far-off ‘booms’. Like a faraway battle.

When they were excavating the Fuller’s Earth quarry near Baulking in Oxfordshire, my aunt’s mother who lived about a mile away, said her house shook and windows rattled when they began using those massive earth movers. (The quarry is now a lake). Also when I lived not too far away, there were some mornings when there would be a ‘boom’ that rattled windows and people said it was from underground somewhere, Cranwell, at Shrivenham, doing something or other. It wasn’t a supersonic boom, though I’m not sure how correct they were about the underground explosions.

.. down the side of the chair no-one sits in I found a laptop bag. Now I have a DELL latitude E6420 i7 8Mb 120Gb DVDRW and no recollection whatsoever of where it came from.
Found an email from March 2020 acknowledging my purchase of said computer from Ebay for £189.99 and a follow up message from the Vendor saying the listing had been incorrect (2nd gen processor and not stated 3rd gen) and asking if I would accept a £30 discount ? (yes).
So minor strangeness as to the origin of laptop no longer strange. As to why I bought and set-up a much needed laptop replacement and then not use it for three years - well, umm.

Found an email from March 2020 acknowledging my purchase of said computer from Ebay for £189.99 and a follow up message from the Vendor saying the listing had been incorrect (2nd gen processor and not stated 3rd gen) and asking if I would accept a £30 discount ? (yes).
So minor strangeness as to the origin of laptop no longer strange. As to why I bought and set-up a much needed laptop replacement and then not use it for three years - well, umm.
I've done similar. I bought a 'new' laptop (I didn't really buy it, I obtained it from an offspring who was no longer using it) some years ago, because my laptop wasn't working, then I discovered that the original laptop only wasn't working because it needed a new charger. The laptop itself was fine. So I bought a new charger and laid the new laptop aside for when the first laptop finally gave up the ghost (which was only about six months later).

It's not really strange, but it certainly woke me up ! There is a large (2ft diameter at least) bright blue ball appeared in my back garden. OK, it looks like a circus prop or something, and has probably escaped from my neighbour's store.

It was quite concerning in the 30 seconds or so it took me to work out what it was :)

If t'mods ever go with this, I'd like Daphne Moon, please. Close enough.
If I recall, her accent was a bit hard to pin down*, being some vague distance north (and slightly west) of where I live.

Mind you, the character's brothers' dialects were even more wide-ranging... there was an Australian actor doing sub-Van-Dyke cockney, Robbie Coltrane's Midland-y sort of twang... quite the family.

*which suits you well, I think!

If t'mods ever go with this, I'd like Daphne Moon, please.
I think (just in general, not specific to her voice/accent!!) that would be a rather-desirable aspiration! :)

Daphne is lovely: I've always adored everything about her (and the actor that plays her, Janet Leeves) mainly via that flawed-but-fantastic TV show 'Frasier'.

But I never knew until now, looking at her Wiki entry, that she actually comes from Ilford in Essex (decidedly-south, forsooth!). I find this a highly-strange discovery (ok, I accept I'm late to the party, but...) since her pivotally-significant accent as Daphne in Frasier sounds as if she's genuinely-native to quite a few hundred of miles north of her actual point of origin.

In fact: I had (wrongly) decided, in a subconscious philological analysis, that she was probably a Yorkshire lass who'd moved early in her life to somewhere north of Manchester.

This discovery of falsity is disproportionately-unsettling for me: probably because it runs against my instinctive in-good-faith presumptions about people (even artificial ones). Also, in Frasier, nothing is ever directly-explained: instead, rather like a challenging new workplace, all characters must be (at first) learnt and understood by the viewer- and then they become trusted intimates of close understanding (this is to some extent true of all episodic sitcoms- but in Frasier, it's a fundamental precept).

This Daphne accent discovery (for me) is almost like the level of petty betrayal in finding-out that the neighbour you've always had a crush on is actually an android...

I think it's mainly because I find classic TV sitcoms incredibly-relaxing to watch, because of their predictable uncomplicated harmless niceness in a real-world of... (fairly-frequent) random complex harmful badness. And, always accepting that whilst they constantly tell us the little lies of theatre that do not matter, fundamentally they are the vessels of an admirable sort of truth.

A hardly-surprising self-evidencing conclusion; but: clearly a more-shaky edifice (internally, for me) than I might've expected.

TLDR- I thought she were proper north, and she's not: am pure gutted, 'natch

Last edited:
I think (just in general, not specific to her voice/accent!!) that would be a rather-desirable aspiration! :)

Daphne is lovely: I've always adored everything about her (and the actor that plays her, Janet Leeves) mainly via that flawed-but-fantastic TV show 'Frasier'.

But I never knew until now, looking at her Wiki entry, that she actually comes from Ilford in Essex (decidedly-south, forsooth!). I find this a highly-strange discovery (ok, I accept I'm late to the party, but...) since her pivotally-significant accent as Daphne in Frasier sounds as if she's genuinely-native to quite a few hundred of miles north of her actual point of origin.

In fact: I had (wrongly) decided, in a subconscious philological analysis, that she was probably a Yorkshire lass who'd moved early in her life to somewhere north of Manchester.

This discovery of falsity is disproportionately-unsettling for me: probably because it runs against my instinctive in-good-faith presumptions about people (even artificial ones). Also, in Frasier, nothing is ever directly-explained: instead, rather like a challenging new workplace, all characters must be (at first) learnt and understood by the viewer- and then they become trusted intimates of close understanding (this is to some extent true of all episodic sitcoms- but in Frasier, it's a fundamental precept).

This Daphne accent discovery (for me) is almost like the level of petty betrayal in finding-out that the neighbour you've always had a crush on is actually an android...

I think it's mainly because I find classic TV sitcoms incredibly-relaxing to watch, because of their predictable uncomplicated harmless niceness in a real-world of... (fairly-frequent) random complex harmful badness. And, always accepting that whilst they constantly tell us the little lies of theatre that do not matter, fundamentally they are the vessels of an admirable sort of truth.

A hardly-surprising self-evidencing conclusion; but: clearly a more-shaky edifice (internally, for me) than I might've expected.

And John Mahoney actually IS from Manchester!

It's not really strange, but it certainly woke me up ! There is a large (2ft diameter at least) bright blue ball appeared in my back garden. OK, it looks like a circus prop or something, and has probably escaped from my neighbour's store.

It was quite concerning in the 30 seconds or so it took me to work out what it was :)
Could have been much worse;

Attachments

• psn.jpg
    psn.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 15
Here's an odd thing happened yesterday.
At the school I work in, there is a long corridor with an exit at either end. There are metal gates outside which I open every morning and lock every evening. These gates are secured with good quality five digit combination locks, both coded with the same number. The locks are around five months old.
I opened the gates yesterday morning and the locks opened fine, but, when I tried to open one of the locks in the evening, it wouldn't budge.
Doubting my own mind, I tried the lock on the other side. It opened fine, so I had the right combination . After much trial and error I got the lock open. The number had changed by one digit!
In order to change the code, you need to remove a screw at the top of the lock and depress a button at the bottom. No one had re-coded the lock so buggered if I know how it changed .

The ball has gone this morning. I didn't move it. Blown somewhere else, i suppose, although it was in a dead spot. (By which I mean where wind blown stuff normally comes to rest).
I used to have one of these big inflatable ball things to sit on. They are supposed to do good things for the posture and balance and work the core at the same time - I think mine was called a gym ball.

Gave me dreadful sciatica and had to go.

Cats eye, I have one of these, aparerntly they come in different sizes and the inflation needs to be set for your weight, maybe like me your ball wastoo big and bouncy.
Probably. I bought it for sitting at to work at a desk, but I didn't much enjoy the sensation, so even without the sciatica its days were numbered.

Don't forget how all her brothers have different accents! :chuckle:

Here's an odd thing happened yesterday.
At the school I work in, there is a long corridor with an exit at either end. There are metal gates outside which I open every morning and lock every evening. These gates are secured with good quality five digit combination locks, both coded with the same number. The locks are around five months old.
I opened the gates yesterday morning and the locks opened fine, but, when I tried to open one of the locks in the evening, it wouldn't budge.
Doubting my own mind, I tried the lock on the other side. It opened fine, so I had the right combination . After much trial and error I got the lock open. The number had changed by one digit!
In order to change the code, you need to remove a screw at the top of the lock and depress a button at the bottom. No one had re-coded the lock so buggered if I know how it changed .

I guess some kind of mechanical issue inside the device during manufacture allowed this to happen.

Rushfan62= 'No one had re-coded the lock so buggered if I know how it changed'
Combination locks of this general style (unless of the very-highest quality) can be very prone to 'drift' regarding their set codes: especially once they've become worn & well-used.

But I could easily imagine a new one (with flawed manufacture) might even have a 'floating' digit early in its life.

Some of us may have experienced similar frustrations with 3-digit combination 'locks' on suitcases & attaché cases. The soft pot-metal cold pressings these (almost-toy) locks are made from can be highly-unreliable in keeping consistent number codes over time (especially if used frequently). They're 98% visual deterrent, and less than 2% lock.

Y
Combination locks of this general style (unless of the very-highest quality) can be very prone to 'drift' regarding their set codes: especially once they've become worn & well-used.

But I could easily imagine a new one (with flawed manufacture) might even have a 'floating' digit early in its life.

Some of us may have experienced similar frustrations with 3-digit combination 'locks' on suitcases & attaché cases. The soft pot-metal cold pressings these (almost-toy) locks are made from can be highly-unreliable in keeping consistent number codes over time (especially if used frequently). They're 98% visual deterrent, and less than 2% lock.
You Could be right, but the numbers all clicked into place and a reset has done the job.

Combination locks: I've mentioned this before on the Unwhinge thread.

Bought a snazzy little trolley case for work from the car boot sale. Sadly it was stolen by a customer yesterday.

However, after being comprehensively ransacked it was dumped and other on-the-ball staff spotted and retrieved it. There's nothing of value in it, just work stuff, so everything was recovered.

So there were two luggage-related unwhinges - a nice case for £6, which was stolen but soon reacquired.

It has a combination lock which the original owner must have changed as it wouldn't open with the default number that we found online for it.
Techy had a play with it but got nowhere. Today I spent a few minutes twiddling it and it opened! Totally random. Couldn't believe it. There's my third unwhinge.

After that I was offering people a shake of my lucky hand and considering buying a lottery ticket.
The wheelie case number is 463 which probably relates to the previous owner's date of birth. April 1963.

When I came out of the bathroom this morning, I noticed some small lumps on my side of the unmade bed. When I got round that side I realised it was morsels of cheese. Cheese?

We don't eat in bed. The cheese looked like some I'd been grating on Friday night, but it was Sunday morning. I have NO idea where that came from!

When I came out of the bathroom this morning, I noticed some small lumps on my side of the unmade bed. When I got round that side I realised it was morsels of cheese. Cheese?

We don't eat in bed. The cheese looked like some I'd been grating on Friday night, but it was Sunday morning. I have NO idea where that came from!
Sounds like old, crumbling foam from the matress and/or pillow cases. ?
Either that, or you've been sleepwalking and had a 'snack' at some point.

I used to have one of these big inflatable ball things to sit on. They are supposed to do good things for the posture and balance and work the core at the same time - I think mine was called a gym ball.

Gave me dreadful sciatica and had to go.
If you have back issues, it's better to invest in an ergonomic seat. It's much more expansive, but at least, it reduces the risk of letting your back lose its natural S curve, which a cheap gym ball hardly does. Doing morning exercises on a very regular basis (forever) is also a must to strengthen your back and "program" your brains to ignore some of the pain. It doesn't prevent the sciatica from coming back, but it certainly helps. A good mattress also helps, because, most people (me included) tend to sleep in bad "positions". So if you put a couple of hours on a superb seat in balance with a whole night spent in a catastrophic bed, the bed always wins, and your back suffers ...

That being said, the worst sciatica I ever had occurred after several months of supposedly back strengthening bodybuilding. There are so many possible causes to back pain (muscular tensions, hernia, tumours, arthrosis, ...) that whatever one does for prevention, the threat always looms. It appears that sciatica is like death and taxes : hard to avoid !

If you have back issues, it's better to invest in an ergonomic seat. It's much more expansive, but at least, it reduces the risk of letting your back lose its natural S curve, which a cheap gym ball hardly does. Doing morning exercises on a very regular basis (forever) is also a must to strengthen your back and "program" your brains to ignore some of the pain. It doesn't prevent the sciatica from coming back, but it certainly helps. A good mattress also helps, because, most people (me included) tend to sleep in bad "positions". So if you put a couple of hours on a superb seat in balance with a whole night spent in a catastrophic bed, the bed always wins, and your back suffers ...

That being said, the worst sciatica I ever had occurred after several months of supposedly back strengthening bodybuilding. There are so many possible causes to back pain (muscular tensions, hernia, tumours, arthrosis, ...) that whatever one does for prevention, the threat always looms. It appears that sciatica is like death and taxes : hard to avoid !
Techy is prone to back pain, mainly due to heavy work in previous heavy occupations and later being overweight. He used to have an ice pack on his lower back every day.

A few years ago he took up the cycling and within about three weeks he'd stopped needing the ice. Dunno if it was the posture or what but the back improved long before the waistline.

Back