• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mobile Phone Tracking

taras

Least Haunted
Every mobile phone has a different code. If you dial *#06# you can see yours. Hasn't anyone wondered whether the government can track your whereabouts, etc, with that?

Just a thought!

Well, they can track the whereabouts of your phone ;)

If you have a pre-pay phone and don't register it they don't know who has the mobile number or phone. I think the number of people with unregistered phones may be in the minority though.

I read recently that the tracking equipment currently in use can pinpoint your mobile's location to within 5 metres - or is this an UL?

All mobile phones whilst switched on send a signal to the nearest mast. Yes this can be used to track the movement of your phone.

yep how else would they work!.. does that count as a conspiricy?

Didn't the police look at mobile phone call records in a certain part of london in the hope of finding the killers number during the investigation into the murder of Jill Dando?
(never heard any thing about this dureing the trial of barry george so i guess it didn't work...)

Mobile phone tracking played a crucial role in the Damilola Taylor trial, although I can't remember all the details right now.

Do they need triangulation to find out where you are?

Mobile phone talk is mainly unnecessary commentary and
ritually begins with establishing the caller's location:

"I'm in Tesco's!"
"I'm on the bus!"
"I'm in the Opera House. . . Yeah, middle of Tristan . . . nah,
a bit loud . . ."

The only good news around is that these objects from Hell fry
the brain. :mad:

There are plenty of ways to track people. People can be hauled in by the police for questioning if they use their credit card near the scene of a crime at around the time a crime occurred. I've also wondered about GPS systems, particularly those built into cars, which can pinpoint your location to within a few metres, or systems designed to recover your car if it was stolen.

phantom mobile phone calls.

On the topic of mobile phones,has anyone had a phantom call from thier mobile ?Some time ago friends of mine said that they were woken up by knocking on their front door by friends of theirs saying that friends daughter phoned them up in a state of panic and very frightened.Needless to say friends daugter was asleep in bed.After much debate all went home/back to bed.Later on in the night friends son was woken up by his mobile phone and the call came from the family's land line phone,which scared him!!!.Now my view is that the first call could of happened if the daughter had a nightmare and whilst still asleep called out in the dream,the other one with the son,that does spook me.Would like to hear of anyone who this or similar thing has happened.Many thanks.

If they can track mobile phones, why can't they find 'em after they are stolen?
I understand that anti crime measures are planned, how far are they from being implemented?

Eburacum45 said:
If they can track mobile phones, why can't they find 'em after they are stolen?
I understand that anti crime measures are planned, how far are they from being implemented?

cos u buy another phone dont u... its biz and crime is a useful tool for selling more junk...they could zap all reported stolen phones...but they dont...

Inverurie Jones said:
Every day I'm more and more relieved that I don't own one.

yep iritateing when everyone wants ur Moby number, then looks at u like ur a nutter cos u dont have one. But we will rule the world when they all cop it from fried brains ah!

James Whitehead said:
Do they need triangulation to find out where you are?

Mobile phone talk is mainly unnecessary commentary and
ritually begins with establishing the caller's location:

"I'm in Tesco's!"
"I'm on the bus!"
"I'm in the Opera House. . . Yeah, middle of Tristan . . . nah,
a bit loud . . ."

The only good news around is that these objects from Hell fry
the brain. :mad:

1) Triangulation - I believe signal strength plays a part, triangulation ensures better accuracy.

2) Last week, mobile rang LOUDLY on the bus I was on (about 18:30-ish). Young gent said "I'm on the bus, home in about 10 minutes, get the tea on" and hung up...mighty embarrassed when he got a round of applause...

3) Brain frying could cause problems ... these young 'uns National Insurance and tax contributions will be paying our pensions, JW, and the brain-fried are not an obviously employable group....
(And is your personal pension plan still worth more than 30p per week? 'Cos mine ain't!)

Nah, the biggest Mobile Phone Conspiracy is "You need to buy a new one - send text, send pictures, surf the net, talk to someone if you must, gie's yer cash......."

*edit*
No, I ain't got one - don't want one - privacy invaders, spawn of the devil, gibber, rant, fulminate, curse....

If I want to speak to one of my friends I have lots of ways to do it without paying even more money. I sometimes (wait for it...) walk to their house and see them!

Inverurie Jones said:
If I want to speak to one of my friends I have lots of ways to do it without paying even more money. I sometimes (wait for it...) walk to their house and see them!

AAAAARGH! NEO-LUDDITE!!

Welcome aboard! :D

If it doesn't go 'Brkbrkbrkbruuuummruuummm' when you start it up, I take a lot of convincing (Goes for jets, too. What the hell kind of noise is 'Wheeeeeeeeee' for a plane to make?). I didn't get a PC until I started uni and found I really had to.

Why do these people have to refrain from actually answering their mobile phone until they are sure that everyone in the immediate vicinity has heard every last note of their ring tone.
I KNOW WHAT MATCH OF THE DAY SOUNDS LIKE...THANK YOU

i do actually own one purely for when i'm out on the motorbike in case of accidents or breakdown.I think i've got through one ten pound voucher in two years!

"hi honey i'm on the way home now"
what?you finish work work at 17:00 you're ringing home at 17:10
What a ******* surprise.:stfu:

Well, I like mine. It allows me to keep in contact with my friends in South Africa, Norway and back home. Yes, I could do it via email, but I'd have to invest in a computer, which I then probably wouldn't use for much else.

And it's got games to keep me entertained, a calculator to figure out what everyone owes when we share the bill at the restaurant (and yes, I could do it in my head, but that gets a bit complicated after a few glasses of wine), a camera to take silly pictures of my friend's puppy and send them to my other friends, and a wap browser to find out what's happening when I get stuck on the train for two hours without an explanation from the train company.

I avoid using it in public transport unless it's absolutely necessary, and if it rings I usually cut the conversation short with a "I'm on the bus, I'll call you later". I turn it off at the restaurant and the cinema, and refrain from texting madly when I've got company. And yes, I could very easily live without it. If I wasn't addicted to the damn thing. :D

I've just bought a new one, today. It rings, I can talk to people on it, and I can send and receive text messages with it.

I can probably also edit HTML with it, play Grand Theft Auto on it and film up to 30 minutes of wildlife documentary with it, but I won't. It's a phone. That's what I want it for.

Sally said:
Well, I like mine.......addicted to the damn thing. :D

You are such a good person. I'm sure there is a special place in heaven for nice considerate people like you.

After George Bush has bomb the rest of us to hell, text us and tell us what nice things you have there in heaven. Don't expect a reply too soon though, we may be busy kicking the sh*t out of Ken Livingstone.:furious: :furious: :furious:

Caroline said:
All mobile phones whilst switched on send a signal to the nearest mast. Yes this can be used to track the movement of your phone.

It's not as accurate as people seem to believe, yes you can be tracked but only in the sense of which cell you are in (a cell being the area covered by a mast, could be 100 square metres or 10 square km's.) Your movements can only be tracked as you move from one cell to the next, but not within the cell.

However, the new generation of phones (3g) can be located to within 50cm. This is because one of the services offered is a mapping service, you are in an unfamiliar area and you want to find somewhere, theatre, restaurant, police station, hospital then simply enter the details into the phone and it will show you a map of where you are and where the place you are looking for is.

The good news is that you can turn the GPS off and so no one can find you again. Developing GPS capability in phones actually came about due to a condition of the US 3g licence auction. There was a rather amusing letter in FT sometime in 1999 claiming that this was the mark of the beast and was proved by the fact that one of the companies developing the new phones was (and still is) called Lucent.

Unfortunatly it failed to mention all the other companies involved in this development, Nokia, Nortel, Marconi, Siemens, NEC to name but five. I guess it's a little more difficult to tie these to satan then it is with Lucent.

Anyway if you want to know more about 3g check out the 'Three' website belonging to Hutchison 3g who have just launched their network in the UK.

Caroline said:

Your mobile phone doesn't even need to be switched on.
In the book 'Killing Pablo' about the atempt to capture Pablo Escobar, the Colombians were loaned equiptment, by the US IIRC, which allowed a phone to be tracked as long as the battery was installed, and, I assume, charged. A signal could be sent to a switched off phone and it would activate to report its position without powering on.

Also, if you dial 999 (or 911) in the UK from your mobile, the police can call you back and get your phone to alert you without ringing (by making a clicking or rumbling sound) thus allowing you to answer the phone with stealth and without the criminal knowing.

See, they do other clever things rather than just fry you brains.

lutzman said:
Also, if you dial 999 (or 911) in the UK from your mobile, the police can call you back and get your phone to alert you without ringing (by making a clicking or rumbling sound) thus allowing you to answer the phone with stealth and without the criminal knowing.

If you dial 911 here you get 'the number you have dialled has not been recognised...'

Dark Detective said:
There are plenty of ways to track people. People can be hauled in by the police for questioning if they use their credit card near the scene of a crime at around the time a crime occurred. I've also wondered about GPS systems, particularly those built into cars, which can pinpoint your location to within a few metres, or systems designed to recover your car if it was stolen.
GPS in cars can't be used for tracking, because the systems in cars are receivers. Even if they were transmitters, they would require bigger antennae and much more power than is available in order for the signal to reach several satellites.

GPS is inherently hit and miss anyway, unless ground based stations are used in addition to satellites.

Someone told me today that you can turn some Nokia phones into radar detectors. It doesn't work on my Samsung, but let me know if you have any joy with YOUR Nokia:

Menu
Settings
Security Settings
Closed User Group
00000 and select ON
Return normal mode.

If it's accepted, it'll show a radar symbol and the 00000 code, and it should flash it you go near a radar trap.

(Sorry if someone's already posted something like this - the search didn't show anything up, but then does it ever??)

Doesn't work on mine. When I put in the 00000 code, it just goes back to default.

[edit]
And I found this and this and this. UL, possibly?

I understand it only works on certain models.

That's the beauty of not owning a Nokia - you can get everyone you know to test it, then say "Well I knew about it, but of course I knew it was a UL"!!

Back