• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Modern Funeral Customs

Was talking to someone I know ex village coper he now conducts humanist
funerals, told him he had the gig, he said don't make it soon as he was booked
up for a long time.
I'll have to hang about for a few more years then, no rest for the wicked.
:omr:

Last edited:
Was talking to someone I know ex village coper he now conducts humanist
funerals, told him he had the gig, he said don't make it soon as he was booked
up for a long time.
I'll have to hand about for a few more years then, no rest for the wicked.
:omr:

Max will shoot you and then conduct the funeral service.

Reactions: RaM
What the what? No "For All The Saints," a fave for all dead Prots and not a few Catholics in the U.S.

Attachments

• for saiintsn.jpg
    for saiintsn.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 13
What the what? No "For All The Saints," a fave for all dead Prots and not a few Catholics in the U.S.
Had to learn a good few hymns as a nipper and can still remember most at a push, but that one eludes me because of the unintelligible second line-

For all the saints who from their labours rest
who thee by faith before the world confessed

I could make sense of that now - just - but to an 8 year-old it was gibberish. :chuckle:

I guess fans storming the coffin is a modern tradition.

Twelve people have been arrested after fans of an Ivorian musician stormed the cemetery where he was buried and allegedly opened his coffin.

DJ Arafat, 33, whose real name was Ange Didier Huon, died in a motorcycle accident last month. Video on social media appeared to show fans opening his coffin and undressing the late musician's body to check for tattoos in an effort to identify him. The chaotic scenes followed rumours and disbelief that he had really died.

On Friday, thousands of people attended a concert in the main city, Abidjan to pay tribute to the musician. He was then laid to rest in a private ceremony on Saturday. But images on social media showed fans battling police who were preventing them from entering the site. Police resorted to using tear gas to try and disperse those who had gathered outside where the ceremony was taking place.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-afri...news/world&link_location=live-reporting-story
S'nuffink mate ..

I've just learned someone I knew with the stage name Rikk Quay has died. I don't mean to sound cold but it's not a total shock because he'd been diagnosed with cancer. We all recorded anecdotes vids so he could watch them in hospital. He was an older bad influence to us lot with a heart of gold who we'd knock around with when we were 17. He played in a punk band called D.H.S.S., then he mixed techno punk for his band called Rhythm Damage (both in Tamworth) and produced a rave tune taking the piss out of Princess Diana's affair with Jamie Hewitt with Altern 8 helping out and Piers Morgan somehow involved

'Eddie Armchair' was the lead singer for D.H.S.S., his band once scored a headline in The Sun newspaper that read "SICK PUNK BAND THROWS FATHER'S ASHES OVER CROWD!" .. that wasn't at all true, Eddie liked to take his fathers ashes on stage sometimes but no one (including the crowd) ever made a deal out of it. We all thought it was quite sweet instead ..

Eddie posted this to let everyone know Rikk had died which would be a considered nothing less than a tribute in Tamworth ..

arikkquay.jpg

(sorry about the nonce John Peel introducing this .. Rikk's band) ..

The Loved One Launcher is a handheld cannon (bazooka?) for shooting cremains into the air.

LovedOneLauncher.jpg
The Loved One Launcher (Ash Scattering Cannon)

The Loved One Launcher is the ultimate way to send a loved one out with the same passion they had in life. This hand-held ash scattering cannon is perfect for life celebration parties and memorial services, allowing the earthly remains of any beloved human or pet to be shot into the air to be scattered. ...

The sight of blasting the ashes into the sky will bring to mind feelings of celebration, happiness, and companionship. ...

The Loved One Launcher is the only device of its kind that will shoot earthly remains over seventy feet into the air!!, allowing for a wide dispersal of ashes that can be observed by all in attendance. To add to the celebration, ashes can be mixed with confetti or even streamers for a dreamy visual effect, creating a beautiful, joyful scene that sets the perfect tone. Paying homage to a loved one’s life is simple and intimate with what feels almost like a daytime fireworks display in their honor. The Launcher should not be aimed at any structure or living thing as its blast is powerful. It should only be handled and operated by an adult. Avoid shooting into oncoming wind (downwind or in still air only) and note that it will take two shots to disperse all the ashes of an average adult. More shots if more confetti is desired.

Your results and coverage will vary depending on contents of cannon, and wind conditions, if any. ...
SOURCE: https://www.cremationsolutions.com/the-loved-one-launcher-ash-scattering-cannon

Probably not modern, but I was surprised to learn that the U.S. Navy is going to scatter my dad's ashes out to sea on the Pacific Coast. I think they load them in an ammo shell and shoot it out over the water. I know dad would have loved that.

I just wish I could get a video of it.
If you have the organizing person's contact info, why don't you ask about it. As I always say, "You can always ask. The worst they can say is no."

Way to go! Vid at link.

Flash-mob dance at Bristol funeral 'breaks tradition'

A woman "broke tradition" by planning her funeral with hidden surprises, which included a flash-mob dance to Another One Bites the Dust, by Queen.

Sandie Wood, 65, from Bristol, died of tongue cancer on 19 September, and was one of tens of thousands of people that contracted hepatitis C in the 1970s and 80s after being given infected blood.

"She was one of a kind, so she left the world how she lived it," said best friend, Sam Ryalls.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-england-bristol-64223053

Dance Away Your Heartaches!

A woman with terminal cancer who decided to throw a party rather than have a funeral said she had "the best night" of her life.

Linda Williams, 76, from High Wycombe, "hates funerals" and wanted to be able to "dance the night away" with her friends instead.

After being diagnosed with terminal cancer a year ago, she started organising the party.

"I had an absolute blast," the former Tai Chi instructor said. "I've never been to a good funeral, they're miserable things, so I decided I wanted a celebration of my life. I nearly died two weeks before it so I had a cardboard cut-out made just in case but I was able to be there with all my friends."

the cardboard cut-out
IMAGE SOURCE ,LINDA WILLIAMS Image caption,Linda organised for a cardboard cut-out to be made for her party in case she died before it

Ms Williams has always loved Spitfires - her parents were both in the RAF and she grew up near their base in Walters Ash, where she used to see the planes flying over her house.

She started writing a bucket list when she was diagnosed and number one was a flight in a Spitfire. It was "absolutely crazy, fantastic and more than I ever wished for", and her son followed behind in a chaser plane, she said. ...

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-64746338

At a funeral I went to today the 'leaving' music was Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life.

As it played, mourners got up to approach the coffin. They stroked and patted it, saying their own goodbyes.

I hadn't seen that done before. It looked American to me.

This coffin was closed as is usually the case here in the UK.
I'm wondering now if we might start seeing open coffins.

IMG_20230412_121858~2.jpg

I've been to two were family and friends patted the coffin,
and though I wasent there was told of one were they opened
the coffin at the graveside took the pocket watch out of the
corpses waistcoat pocket wound it put it back screwed the
lid back and carried on with the burial.

At my brother's memorial my other brother had a woman sing Puff the Magic Dragon and The Rose, I choose the songs but if I had known the woman wasn't up to singing them I would have just picked a hymn for everyone to sing. Those two songs are the songs I remember him by.

I think I want my cremains turned in to a brick with my name and dates on it and put next to my mother's grave. It is a place that I know will get visited.

At a funeral I went to today the 'leaving' music was Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life.

As it played, mourners got up to approach the coffin. They stroked and patted it, saying their own goodbyes.

I hadn't seen that done before. It looked American to me.

This coffin was closed as is usually the case here in the UK.
I'm wondering now if we might start seeing open coffins.

View attachment 65319
Open coffins? These are unusual for you? Or do you mean at the graveside?

It is unusual here for a closed casket ceremony. Funny enough, some people say they have trouble believing the person is gone if the family has a closed casket.

Open coffins? These are unusual for you? Or do you mean at the graveside?

It is unusual here for a closed casket ceremony. Funny enough, some people say they have trouble believing the person is gone if the family has a closed casket.
Here (UK) closed coffins are the norm at the funeral, although mourners do visit the deceased in their open coffin beforehand in private.
We don't generally hold funerals elsewhere than a church or crematorium, or sometimes both, church first.

Here (UK) closed coffins are the norm at the funeral, although mourners do visit the deceased in their open coffin beforehand in private.
We don't generally hold funerals elsewhere than a church or crematorium, or sometimes both, church first.
Ah yes. I did explain that slightly wrong. I was referring to the visitations and prior to the actual funeral ceremony.

We don't have full ceremonies at the graveside, but do travel there after and the funeral director or priest/pastor/minister etc does say a few words as the coffin is lowered.

Funerals are rarely held in a church (in my experience) but I have been to a few which were. Often the funeral home is used for the visitations and ceremony.

I believe that funeral customs are becoming much more tailored to whatever families like.

I did not have a funeral ceremony for my husband, he never wanted one. I don't like having to socialize in good circumstances and so didn't want one either. I did the gathering for his mom as she was still alive at the time.

I only had a quick informal 3 hour gathering in which people could come (to funeral home) to visit as they wished. Then I left it open for anyone who wanted to say something. One of my nieces and my husband's best friend spoke.

He'd been cremated and I rented a stand in urn. Several of my nieces and nephews didn't come into the room until I reassured them that uncle brownmane wasn't actually there.

His family came. His mom made comment that she was surprised at how many people came. His family do not get together. They, at the funeral home, chatted with cousins and each other. I think his mom, especially, enjoyed this.

The funerals I have been to have all been closed coffins, and no viewings beforehand. Me, when the time comes, I shall be in a closed coffin, and straight to the crematorium while everyone else goes to the wake.

Back