• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Modern Funeral Customs

:rolleyes:They 'ave ter stick yer in summat. :wink2:
Plastic box nk. It's what they returned my husband's ashes in as I was going to scatter them. He's on my rosebush in front yard. He hated my flower garden and I threatened him with scattering him there. Of course when I went out to do so, the ashes came out in one pile, so no scattering. :rolleyes:Obstinate to the end.

I don’t even want a funeral but if my family want to have one then I guess it’s ok. I want to be cremated. Nothing fancy.
Some Funeral directors in the US can be worse than shady used car salesman. Always trying to upsell you to the bigger, better, most durable caskets and vaults.

I have an absolute fear of being buried alive (a childhood spent reading Edgar Allan Poe has its consequences) and my lifelong solution has always been that once it is suspected that I have shuffled off this mortal coil that someone will chop off my head. Then both bits of me can be safely put into the coffin and lowered down.

My main passion in life is comedy and I'm always thrilled to recognise personal traits (bad tempered, melancholic, a bit too fond of alcohol) in the biographies of comedians so you can imagine how happy I was to discover that Grimaldi shared my fear of premature burial and had the same safety precaution in place.

No doubt one day soon I will have to have a somewhat morbidly embarrassing conversation with a solicitor and/or a funeral director to find out if my needs can be fulfilled, come the day.
Joseph Grimaldi was buried in the graveyard of a church that's since been demolished. The area is now the Joseph Grimaldi Park, with just his grave preserved.
I visited there last year and took photos. :p

It's a pleasant spot, apart from the paths' liberal coating of dogshit thoughtfully provided by the anti-poop scoop brigade. :(

I think I said in the past in the U.S. one can not die because it is too expensive.

My only option is cremation with nothing else.

Statically, cremation is now up to 50 % of all deaths in U.S.

I've been to two were family and friends patted the coffin,
and though I wasent there was told of one were they opened
the coffin at the graveside took the pocket watch out of the
corpses waistcoat pocket wound it put it back screwed the
lid back and carried on with the burial.
I'm helping arrange a funeral and have asked for the Celebrant to cordially invite mourners to approach and pat the coffin.

The funeral director explained that the days when the crematorium curtains would close on the coffin may be over. People want the chance to say a last goodbye.
I've seen this done and it was lovely; mourners knew they had as long as the final song lasted. Three or four minutes is enough.

Donald Trump is not represented by an elephant, but an ASS...

While Americans may be stupid, they are not so stupid as to vote into office such a pompous, egotistical, megalomanic such as The Trump...

Although, I do wonder if they really are that stupid!
@Dinobot, have you seen this post?

And no more politics!

I've lumbered myself with making a casket spray for a funeral tomorrow. It's one of those long wreath things that cover the top of the coffin.
Bought loads of flowers ready for it and am planning on 'harvesting' lumps of my garden trees and shrubs.

Haven't done one of these before but have watched it done on YouTube. :nods:

How hard can it be? :dunno:

I've lumbered myself with making a casket spray for a funeral tomorrow. It's one of those long wreath things that cover the top of the coffin.
Bought loads of flowers ready for it and am planning on 'harvesting' lumps of my garden trees and shrubs.

maxresdefault-5.jpg
imengine.public.prod.med.navigacloud.com.jpeg

A woman of many talents yer are E.

Just seen this in the latest edition of British Archaeology. Apparently its a thing now to be interred in a new purpose built 'neolithic' barrow. All built with the appropriate health and safety and accessibility issues dealt with of course!

Attachments

• FT1.jpg
    FT1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
The spray is done. Had to whisk it away to the funeral place so didn't do any photos. Will snap a few later.

Have to say, I'm pleased with it. My idea was to make it look organic and informal, as if I'd gathered a big armful of flowers and greenery and dropped it all on the coffin. Well, that part of the idea worked anyway. Sort of.

This is totally in line with the thread's theme of modern funeral customs. DIY wreaths were unheard-of at one time.
YouTube and Amazon have put paid to that. :chuckle:

The undertaker said the arrangement looked wild, which he found in keeping with the personality of the deceased.
Someone sent me a snap.
Now if you'd done that for a wedding you could have charged an absolute fortune.

Just seen this in the latest edition of British Archaeology. Apparently its a thing now to be interred in a new purpose built 'neolithic' barrow. All built with the appropriate health and safety and accessibility issues dealt with of course!
Watch them, they're trying to build a new Barrow Downs.

Now if you'd done that for a wedding you could have charged an absolute fortune.
Yup, florists' prices are eye-watering. :chuckle:
You do get what you pay for though.

I was considering doing a floristry course but prices for those are astronomical too.

A sofa, a bed, a coffin!

Icelandic designer Dögg Guðmundsdóttir designed this lovely sofa that converts into a bed and then a coffin.

Makes sense. She was inspired by a visit to Ghana where artisans hand-make lovely coffins and also beds that are available for purchase in street markets.

"In end 2020 the idea came back to me when we bought a well designed coffin for my mother, that was soon after burned away and few months later buy new bed for my father I thought that my crazy idea was not so bad after all," she writes. "Here we could have saved both time, material and money if my parents had each one bed that could transform to a coffin."

https://boingboing.net/2023/06/12/when-you-die-this-sofa-converts-into-your-coffin.html

Most people die in bed, bloody dangerous places beds, but with this idea you just
close the lid and chuck a lighted match on, I like it, and recommend it to the house.
:twothumbs:

Just yesterday Facebook showed me an ad for a bookshelf which can be turned into a coffin. A coffin is after all just a wooden box.
Didn't we have a photo on'ere of summat like that, where a coffin/bookcase had been painted up in Day of the Dead images?
Googled it - there are TONS.

Just yesterday Facebook showed me an ad for a bookshelf which can be turned into a coffin. A coffin is after all just a wooden box.
Some artist did that. You could email them and get the drawings, which I did. Think I deleted the files, it was kind of naff looking.

Back