Newly Discovered: Previously Disputed Or Merely Alleged Species

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
The article mentions Ebird app, which I have used. I just do my backyard feeder watching, but the app is very good and is connected with Cornell University in the US. Any birder can use the app and can submit their bird watching lists through the app directly to the university. Ebird is used world wide and the information collected is shared with other bird conservation agencies world wide.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
I'm getting message "server can't be found". Is that due to country that I'm trying to access it from?

How about this link?

New species of rock-eating shipworm identified in freshwater river in the Philippines​

International team of researchers studying biodiversity with an eye toward developing new drugs​

Date: June 19, 2019

Source: University of Massachusetts at Amherst

Summary: A newly identified genus and species of worm-like, freshwater clam, commonly known as a shipworm, eats rock and expels sand as scat while it burrows like an ecosystem engineer in the Abatan River in the Philippines.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/06/190619142551.htm

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
How about this link?

New species of rock-eating shipworm identified in freshwater river in the Philippines​

International team of researchers studying biodiversity with an eye toward developing new drugs​

Date: June 19, 2019

Source: University of Massachusetts at Amherst

Summary: A newly identified genus and species of worm-like, freshwater clam, commonly known as a shipworm, eats rock and expels sand as scat while it burrows like an ecosystem engineer in the Abatan River in the Philippines.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/06/190619142551.htm
Yep. It's accessible. Thanks @ramonmercado

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm getting message "server can't be found". Is that due to country that I'm trying to access it from?
Maybe ... I'm able to access it from the USA with no issues.

Junopsis

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
The original link from lordmangrove now works for me:dunno:
Might have had an issue with the facebook clunkage at the end. In the future you can delete that off the link as a troubleshooting measure (the ?fbclid and everything after).

lordmongrove

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The red, blind, swamp eels of Mumbai.
https://www.downtoearth.org.in/news...w-eel-species-discovered-in-mumbai-well-79461

0.24553900_1633004904_20210930_132210-(1).jpg

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
So the only known place this eel existed was the well the only 5 specimens were taken from, and killed :(
That’s exactly what I thought. I had hoped that I just misunderstood the article.

Nemo

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

‘No one knew they existed’: wild heirs of lost British honeybee found at Blenheim.

Thousands of rare forest honeybees that appear to be the last wild descendants of Britain’s native honeybee population have been discovered in the ancient woodlands of Blenheim Palace.

The newly discovered subspecies, or ecotype, of honeybee is smaller, furrier and darker than the honeybees found in managed beehives, and is believed to be related to the indigenous wild honeybees that foraged the English countryside for centuries. Until now, it was presumed all these bees had been completely wiped out by disease and competition from imported species.
(c) The Guardian '21