• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
*************WARNING********************

I posted above about RIBENA, the Blackcurrant drink, which I had as a child and teenager.

Bought some today and arrrgggghhhh!!!!!!!!

They have removed the sugar, and replaced it with artificial sweetener Acesulfame-K.

No way will I drink that.

Poured it down the drain.

Now searching for a safer more natural alternative.

Hope to let you know when I have found one worth drinking.

When we used to hang out in French supermarkets on holiday, we discovered sirop, which is their version of fruit squash. The blackcurrant one was pretty authentic according to my kids, might be worth seeing if someone could supply it?

My grandma used to sometimes rhyme at me: "My mother said, I never should, play with the gypsies in the wood ..." .. offensive slang term these days is usually 'Pikeys' so don't use that term. I've met a few over the years as well as living on a 'traveller' (the term most prefer) site or two. I've had them threaten to trash a café I was cooking in in Skegness, saved a couple of 6 year old traveller girls from getting in trouble because they were shoplifting prawns from us (I caught them and handed them over to their Dad instead of security lol) and dodged a bar work shift when about 60 or so of the f*****s tried to storm a pub I worked in.

Having said that, I've also lived with them, got pissed up and stoned with them at Hatfield Court when the old school hippy author Jeremy Sandford let us live at his crumbling mansion and I'll buy whatever crap they're peddling when they come into town ... so I now own two 'lucky' stones and apparently I'll one day be the father of 4 children .. and the key ring attached to my back door key is a gypsy made wooden clothes peg. I bought 5 of those for about £3 off an old traveller woman in Cromer. Half of them will try to rob you though. Their kids are the worst for that. :) .. they're little bastards.

The English authorities crack down pretty hard on travellers since the mid 80's at least (Google The Battle Of The Beanfields) so most of them have relocated to France and other parts of Europe these days. Glastonbury Festival '92 saw the travellers knock down the fence keeping them out which is partly why there's a patrolled double fence around the festival these days. I was there and it was epic. A group of them bought a field next door to the festival. They refused to move their vehicles at a different illegal rave so the department that deals with unemployment benefit moved their tables to the sites to pay the travellers that way instead. The Criminal Justice Act came out not long after to clamp down on traveller's movements.

Sorry, I wasn't aware.......

Sorry, I wasn't aware.......
Why are you saying sorry?.. this wasn't your fault X

(the travellers were taking the piss but this response was a bit over the top) ..

.. so 7 years later, they smashed down the fence and got into Glastonbury for free. There wasn't much the police could do to stop it. Some police officers stood on stage (not really sure why the did that?) and police vehicles drove into the crowd so the crowd squashed them in so tight, the officers couldn't open their doors, kids were dancing on their car roofs. If you listen to the beginning of this vid, the lead singer of The Levellers' lead singer says "There's no travellers here. No fucker'd let them in!". He was partly wrong, they'd let themselves in about 20 minutes earlier.

Last edited:
When we used to hang out in French supermarkets on holiday, we discovered sirop, which is their version of fruit squash. The blackcurrant one was pretty authentic according to my kids, might be worth seeing if someone could supply it?
Or just stick with creme de cassis. It’s alcoholic but, to be honest, sometimes you need a bit of cheering up. They make some in the UK at twice the price of the French stuff if you prefer.

Americans. They're extremely polite- in my experience!
Ronnie's always polite. My Skegness café experience wasn't that exciting, just a small family of travellers with Grandad trying to blag a free pastry off me:

"It's for the baby."
"Sorry Sir, I would if I could but it doesn't belong to me so I can't just give it to you. I don't want to lose my job."
"Then I'll just pick up these sugar bowls and throw them about the room."
"I hope you don't but I won't stop you. I'll get paid for the overtime cleaning it all up."

They left me alone after that.

Thanks.

Or just stick with creme de cassis. It’s alcoholic but, to be honest, sometimes you need a bit of cheering up. They make some in the UK at twice the price of the French stuff if you prefer.
Now that's an idea!

Hey, @Ronnie - here's Techy cycling along a typical green Cheshire lane towards our much-beloved Beeston castle. :)

Beeston stands out on the mainly flat Cheshire plain, facing south. You can navigate by it. :cool:
I can recommend having a look at Beeston Castle online. If you go to Google Earth there's drone footage of it.

Note the skilful topiary to Techy's right. ;)

Heading for the Castle.jpeg

Last edited:
Hey, @Ronnie - here's Techy cycling along a typical green Cheshire lane towards our much-beloved Beeston castle. :)

Beeston stands out on the mainly flat Cheshire plain, facing south. You can navigate by it. :cool:
I can recommend having a look at Beeston Castle online. If you go to Google Earth there's drone footage of it.

Where is it, I don't see a video or photo?

View attachment 51687
Oh my God - do you know how lucky you are? To be living with such beauty all around you, I would never leave!
O, to be in England!!

Last edited:

View attachment 51687
And it's so Clean there!!

Oh my God - do you know how lucky you are? To be living with such beauty all around you, I would never leave!
O, to be in England!!
Every time I hear "O, to be in England", I can't help thinking of that tune by The Art Of Noise that says that. Sorry Ronnie but I've got to get this out of my system .. skip to 3:20

Last edited:
Oh my God - do you know how lucky you are? To be living with
ch beauty all around you, I would never leave!

This is the Peckforton Elephant. It was carved in the 19th century and stands in someone's garden in a village where we sometimes cycle.

If you look at the Cycling thread you'll see us posing in lovely English and Welsh surroundings. :)

Me with Peckforton Elephant.jpg

This is the Peckforton Elephant. It was carved in the 19th century and stands in someone's garden in a village where we sometimes cycle.

If you look at the Cycling thread you'll see us posing in lovely English and Welsh surroundings. :)

View attachment 51688
Wow - I've got to tell you I showed hubby your photo of your husband biking to Beeston Castle, he couldn't get over it!
I'm embarrassed to look out our window now! Lol!

Wow - I've got to tell you I showed hubby your photo of your husband biking to Beeston Castle, he couldn't get over it!
I'm embarrassed to look out our window now! Lol!
Come about 10 miles south to Whitchurch. We've got plenty of dog mess and broken glass if it will make you feel better.

Beeston stands out on the mainly flat Cheshire plain, facing south.
Years ago (decades ago) when I was pre-marriage (and divorced 2003), which would have been around....ooh...probably sometime between 1992-95, we were visiting the (soon to be) mother-in-law, up in Wrexham, and for some reason we decided to go on a day visit to Beeston Castle.
My initial thought on the subject was "Not another castle?" (She loved visiting castles, I was indifferent, but after you've seen a few you get bored of them).
But Beeston Castle blew my mind!
What a fantastic construction. And so high up. And so well preserved and maintained.

I have to say that the US has some great points, but when my parents came here years ago from the UK they told me their first shock was the trash-strewn streets of NYC, where they entered the country. For their first year they swore they would return to England. During that time they slowly got used to NJ, found gainful employment and bought a home in a small community.
I know my Mum and Grandmother thought the world of your Royal Family, and my Father very much admired Queen Elizabeth, calling her a great humanitarian.

Ill have to find you some pictures; I have taken loads.

Where do you live that is so grotty compared to here?

(We have some grotty bits, be sure.)

LOL - I am sure every country has beautiful parts and then not-so-beautiful parts, suburban living has changed quite drastically, and that's all I'll say.

Years ago (decades ago) when I was pre-marriage (and divorced 2003), which would have been around....ooh...probably sometime between 1992-95, we were visiting the (soon to be) mother-in-law, up in Wrexham, and for some reason we decided to go on a day visit to Beeston Castle.
My initial thought on the subject was "Not another castle?" (She loved visiting castles, I was indifferent, but after you've seen a few you get bored of them).
But Beeston Castle blew my mind!
What a fantastic construction. And so high up. And so well preserved and maintained.
Where I was brought up and now live, the only prominent geographical landmarks were Beeston Hill and Mow Cop. I'd get up either one as often as possible and however I could. Dragged assorted friends and partners and later my own children along. Happy days. :)

Unfortunately here in Hertfordshire the landscape is fairly flat. The highest point is a village on the border with Bedfordshire, called Hastoe, and that's not particularly high up. About 800 feet I think.
And the highest point near me is the rather insalubrious surroundings of the 'dry ski slope', which itself is a 'man made' mound.
Hardly a hill to die on, or for.
1644160644415.png

Unfortunately here in Hertfordshire the landscape is fairly flat. The highest point is a village on the border with Bedfordshire, called Hastoe, and that's not particularly high up. About 800 feet I think.
And the highest point near me is the rather insalubrious surroundings of the 'dry ski slope', which itself is a 'man made' mound.
View attachment 51722
Correct: The road about 200m west of the village called 'Shire Lane' marks the the Herts-Bucks boundary, and theres a spot height of 244m on the OS map. That's the highest point in Hertfordshire, just about 800 feet. Confusingly, one source I have gives the highest point a little further west and 4 metres higher but that looks to me to be definitely in Bucks.

View attachment 51722
Reminiscent of..

If it had a few trees & a viewing platform people would be flocking to it.

1644172324273.png

Alas, the local council is in discussions to level the old dry-slope and redevelop the area as housing, along with the adjacent football pitch.

Back