• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Paranormal Caught On Camera (TV Series)

ChrisBoardman

Justified & Ancient
I've being watching the program mentioned above and wondering if anybody else thinks that a lot of the stuff is not paranormal?

Take this for example...

Woman in the woods

It's called the woman in the woods, maybe it just is a woman in the woods?

And the creature in the Thames in the same episode

Creature in the Thames

Maybe it's a whale and not the escaped Loch Ness monster?

Any thoughts?

A lot of what they feature reminds me of the various ghost/paranormal aggregator channels on YouTube.
The better ones will be at least open to the possibility of hoaxes and mundane explanations.
The others.... not so much.

Watched a few more episodes by now, the annoying thing is everybody they interview believes in every form of the paranormal.

At least on Finding Bigfoot they have a skeptic.

I've just finished watching some of the second season of Paranormal: Caught on Camera, and quite enjoyed it.
It makes a change to actually see the things that are happening rather than have 'investigators' claim that there are noises or a change in temperature, or whatever.
The episodes that featured apparitions or poltergeist phenomena were good - assuming that the people who took the footage weren't either faking it or being hoaxed themselves. I also enjoyed the cryptozoological segments (UFOs are less my 'bag' but every episode seemed to have at least one example from that branch of Forteana).
I agree with ChrisBoardman that it would have benefited from having at least one sceptic to put forward alternative theories.

I'll probably try and hunt out some more to watch - they seem to be still showing on the 'Blaze' channel.

I've being watching the program mentioned above and wondering if anybody else thinks that a lot of the stuff is not paranormal?

Take this for example...

Woman in the woods

It's called the woman in the woods, maybe it just is a woman in the woods?

And the creature in the Thames in the same episode

Creature in the Thames

Maybe it's a whale and not the escaped Loch Ness monster?

Any thoughts?

Some people have never heard of deviant sexual get togethers, obviously.... If I were to hazard an informed guess, I would posit the notion she is wearing a big white overcoat to possibly spare her blushes...? Awaiting grubby feral men in tracksuit bottoms with a right arm like a piston and scant regard for STIs

I'm surprised that 'Paranormal : Caught on Camera' - or "PCOC" as I call it - doesn't generate a bit more interest on here. It does throw up some interesting things, despite a fair bit of annoying repetitive waffle - and even if you are a hard-boiled old cynic, and you think it's all done with CGI or smoke-and-mirrors, if nothing else it gives you the chance to see how clever and inventive the state-of-the-art hoaxers are these days. I am not that cynical to dismiss them all as hoaxes, and occasionally the testimony of the witnesses has had me pondering. Last night's 2 episodes on the 'Blaze' channel had some curious daytime road ghosts filmed from dashcams in India. Maybe someone has gone to a lot of trouble to fake them - or maybe faking them is easier than I assume - but .... well who knows?

Oh, I'm interested in it. I reviewed it for the mag in no 412 (Dec last year.) It's fab :) .
Yes, I read your review of it, Stu. Always a highlight of the mag for me, genuinely. You have a very tart turn-of-phrase! It is one of the first things I read, after 'It Happened To Me'.

It does throw up some cool stuff sometimes. There was one I saw recently with a baby standing on the side of a cot. That was creepy. And an Icelandic Ice Monster. That just really looked like a string of debris floating down the river but it did also look pretty monster like.
I saw that one, Min. The balancing baby was indeed intriguing. I agree that the Icelandic critter might well just have been a simulacrum of a serpent-like thing, as I think one of the programme's bevy of experts was theorising. If I remember Stu's review in the mag correctly, he mentioned that one problem with the show (for some people) is that the experts all seem a little too keen to believe most of the time. Still I think it's one of the more enjoyable things on tv. I settle in with a cuppa and a saucer of Oreos and put my inner sceptic in neutral for the duration of the show.

I've just checked my pile of Fortean Times and found that Stu's review of "PCOC" was actually in issue 411 (Nov 2021) in case anyone wants to check it out.
You're not wrong. It was Paranormal Witness in 412.

I think.
Always a highlight of the mag for me, genuinely. You have a very tart turn-of-phrase!
You're very kind. I'm actually being nice and constructive in the forthcoming one, again, but fear not I'll be back on the snark again next month.

Just a theory!! Aaaaand I live very near cannock chase, and trust me, its reputation is of some renown
I used to spend a lot of time in Tamworth. I know you find weird people everywhere but Tamworth certainly doesn't disappoint on that level. I was hearing rumours of devil worshipers in these woods in the late 80's to early 90's but there was a large rock band scene there at the time so I just put that video down to local metal fans being spooky. (have they still got that topless barmaids bar in Tamworth?)

I used to spend a lot of time in Tamworth. I know you find weird people everywhere but Tamworth certainly doesn't disappoint on that level. I was hearing rumours of devil worshipers in these woods in the late 80's to early 90's but there was a large rock band scene there at the time so I just put that video down to local metal fans being spooky. (have they still got that topless barmaids bar in Tamworth?)
Devil worship? No wonder those two pigs had it away on their trotters then.

Can I talk balls? People say I frequently do, but specifically in relation to "Paranormal : Caught on Camera".

Bearing in mind that I always watch with an open mind, wanting to be intrigued but always trying to stay reasonably cynical,
I'm just intrigued by how often spooky, ghost-related videos shown on the programme feature small floating balls of ethereal light which are generally referred to as orbs. I know they are generally considered to be 'a thing' associated with ghostly shenanigans. I've seen several vids on the programme in which these orbs feature, sometimes they are the 'main event' in the vid, sometimes they are there seemingly as the support act to another form of ghostly apparition or poltergeisty activity. Sometimes the expert contributors comment on them, and sometimes they don't even mention them, despite them being pretty obvious.

As examples, some weeks ago these orbs were the main feature in a handful of clips from a security camera that a guy had set up in his elderly parents' hallway. These orbs were very definite and seemed to move around with some kind of purpose. One was seen to come down the stairs and turn through a doorway, as if it was 'tracking' the movements of an invisible person.

In last night's episode (26th Jan), orbs appeared in a couple of vids shot by a guy in which the main event was the appearance of quite a spooky 'shadow entity'. These vids were very intriguing, but nobody commented on the fact that there were orbs floating around as well.

My question is two-fold. Have these orbs been debunked as definitely explicable? Common ideas seem to be camera malfunctions, particles of dust, insects etc - though sometimes their behaviour would seem to make these explanations seem unlikely. Or is their presence felt to be so ubiquitous that even the talking heads who appear on waffle-filled programmes like PCOC can't be bothered to draw our attention to them?

As an aside, I have used a camcorder for nearly 30 years now, in all kinds of environments including stately homes, castles, churches, graveyards... places where you might reasonably expect to pick up an orb or two, but I have never noticed that I have caught anything remotely orb-like that I couldn't immediately identify as being dust, an insect, a reflection etc. Nothing I have ever "caught on my camera" has ever moved in a paranormal way!

Last edited:
Thanks EG. I will devour that thread at my leisure. 20 pages of balls should throw some light on the matter! I wasn't meaning to divert this thread. Nearly all I said was in direct reference to stuff I have seen on PCOC. The last bit was, as I said, just an observation as an aside to my main questions. I suppose I wanted to post it in the PCOC thread because it would be more likely that people in here would have watched it and seen the same videos that I was making reference to. I'm not really techy enough to sort out all that finicky 'linking' malarkey.

A variety of phenomena can be and have been described as "orbs", so the subject is a messy one. Some references to orbs are made as if there's only one thing that can be called an "orb", whereas others are merely describing a shape.

In last night's episode (26th Jan), orbs appeared in a couple of vids shot by a guy in which the main event was the appearance of quite a spooky 'shadow entity'. These vids were very intriguing, but nobody commented on the fact that there were orbs floating around as well.
I didn't notice them but it is often just a bit of lens flare so maybe I just didn't register it as anything else? The first of those videos was quite creepy but the one where you get a really good look at the shadow figure just made me think it was faked. He even goes running after it but when he opens the door, there is just the cat sitting there looking at him as if he was daft. In the first video, that cat got a fright when the noise was made. So it was frightened by the noise but not by an actual entity right in front of it? And I disagree that no-one could have been hiding behind the shower curtain. They absolutely could.

The grave one with the hand was really bad I thought. It looked very fake and none of the huge crowd of people standing round the grave even reacted.

Back