• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Phantom Hitchhikers & Road Ghosts

Another view of the bus stop:
Coate2.png

Note that there is another bus stop further east (opposite direction from the Sun Inn), near the pond; there is a corresponding bus stop on the opposite side of the road near this location:
Marlborough Rd.png

Last edited:
Another view of the bus stop:
View attachment 70740
Note that there is another bus stop further east (opposite direction from the Sun Inn), near the pond; there is a corresponding bus stop on the opposite side of the road near this location:
View attachment 70742
Right.
I was looking for a shelter- my mistake.

It looks like the footpath is too far west to have (maybe) been a factor then.

(The area behind the bus stop is the line that the old road used to take).

I was just looking through my local ghost books on Oxfordshire when I came across this from Oxfordshire Stories of the Supernatural by Betty Puttick, Countryside Books, 2003, pp. 11-12:

Some [phantom hitchhiker] accounts are linked to a fatal accident which once happened at the site, and are associated with the victim, but there appears to be no such incident to explain the young girl's apparition that has sometimes been seen at the roadside near Asthall Manor. Her clothes and appearance suggest that she is a gypsy and in recent times, in the mid-1990s, drivers who have given her a lift all have a similar tale to tell.

It was an evening in October when a driver noticed a figure by the side of the road. She had dark shoulder length hair, olive skin and a gypsy-like appearance, and she had moved into the middle of the road, waving him to stop. He drew up and asked her what was the matter. She made no reply but walked round to the passenger door, which he opened, and got into the car. It had been raining, but the girl was more than just damp, she was completely soaking wet, her hair dripping down over her face as if she had been in the river. The driver said she must get home as soon as possible or she would catch pneumonia but she made no reply, simply pointing ahead. He was conscious of an overwhelming feeling of anxiety at the strangeness of the situation, when suddenly the girl spoke for the first time. 'It's too late, he's gone, ' she said, and at that she disappeared.

The driver arrived home feeling shaken by his unlikely experience, but it was some time before he could tell anyone about it.

It was also wet on an afternoon in March when a woman set off from Burford to pick up her son from school. She had just passed Asthall Manor when she noticed a young gypsy girl in the road waving her to stop. As she drew up she could see that the gypsy was soaking wet, and before she could speak the girl said, 'You got my message then?' She walked round to the passenger side of the car, and when the driver asked, 'What message? Where do you want to go?' the gypsy simply stared silently back at her with an agonised expression. Then suddenly she said, 'The water, the river - he's gone,' and without another word she disappeared, leaving just a wet car seat and a pool of water on the floor where she had been.

The driver continued on her journey, bemused by this experience, and like the driver mentioned above, felt unable to tell anyone what had happened for some time.

What is the story behind the appearances of the gypsy hitchhiker on that particular stretch of road near Asthall Manor? Her soaking wet appearance suggests a connection with the river Windrush nearby. Her brief remark to both drivers gives the impression that someone had drowned in the river - perhaps her efforts to save them were fruitless, and sorrow has kept her forever earthbound to the site of the tragedy? Perhaps we may never know.

These sound like fiction to me, or certainly embellished - a ghost which speaks & leaves a wet patch? Could be another first, like the ghost with a torch a few pages back.

These sound like fiction to me, or certainly embellished - a ghost which speaks & leaves a wet patch? Could be another first, like the ghost with a torch a few pages back.
Certainly the wet patch sounds folkloric, but the speaking is not without precedent - and this certainly fits well within the phantom hitch-hiker body of lore. I believe there were quite well-attested encounters with named witnesses somewhere in the US, where the hitch-hiker was an old lady spouting dire prophecy or some-such, I'd have to go back to my books to be certain. Probably not a ghost as in the "spirit of a deceased person" though, more like whatever it is that haunts Blue Bell Hill.

What makes it more convincing for me is that it is not neatly wrapped up - "oh, there was a gypsy girl who dropped her baby in the river some years back - it must be her". It certainly has overtones of the Llorona and similar legends.

Last edited:
Maybe the ghost was following this old path?

Yes, it’s possible. She did say the clothes were fairly modern, as in nothing she didn’t immediately think was ‘historical‘, but a generic top/jacket and trousers can be any time this past hundred years really.
People did used to walk from that top estate (where it says Okebourne Park) to the Spotted Cow for a drink, certainly back before it became a Hungry Horse pub and was more a drinks/pool/darts place.

I don't know what road it was on but I think it was a part of the motorway between the M25 and Bath. I know it's the M4 along that way but I'm not sure if it was on that bit.

So getting to the point. My dad saw a group of Victorians by the motorway. There was no film crew and they were walking as if on flat ground even thought it was rocky. It has stayed with him ever since and it's even inspired a painting of his.

Here we go. View attachment 4359

Actually he did write to the magazine about this but he's had no reply.
Interesting story on the Uncanny stories Facebook page. Unfortunately it’s not the same area. But it’s very odd that it’s so similar.
httpswww.whatsonstage.comnews222-a-ghost-story-announces-new-touring-cast-including-fiona-wad...jpeg

Interesting story on the Uncanny stories Facebook page. Unfortunately it’s not the same area. But it’s very odd that it’s so similar. View attachment 70816
Love it and there have been quite a few time-slip/ghost accounts adjacent to road developments (a few posted on this thread including the Victorians by the M4 near Swindon when a new gantry was being constructed). Any chance you could contact them for more details? I have sworn off social media :)

I was going to ask you as you're a local.
Oh us don't go to them forren parts like Tenterden or Maidstone - folks is strange over that way.

Actually I looked it up as I'd never heard of it but it does say Weald of Kent so it may be one of those terms that's being lost.

Oh you Kentish folk are an odd bunch alright.
You've only got to look at the people on here who are from there....................................
Or Folk of Kent if you were born on the wrong other side of the Medway. :)

Kentish Men or Men of Kent. :nods:
That used to be some tedious kind of riddle when I was a kid. :chuckle:

Love it and there have been quite a few time-slip/ghost accounts adjacent to road developments (a few posted on this thread including the Victorians by the M4 near Swindon when a new gantry was being constructed).
Whenever I hear of a time-slip involving people dressed in period clothing, I think "eccentric locals having a party." I used to know people who enjoyed dressing up for picnics, complete with wind-up phonographs and croquet sets.

...purely out of interest, what does Cradle Oak mean (near to the aforementioned M2 Junction)?

Cradle is a word associated with a type of scythe. I wonder if the name might have been inspired by the shape of the particular tree (maybe it curved in the same way that an old school scythe handle did). It probably wouldn't be connected to the actual wood of the tree - I think ash would be the preferred material for such a tool.

I just came across this snippet in Paranormal Eastbourne by Janet Cameron, Amberley Publishing, p. 103:

The Roundabout Road Ghost

At the roundabout connecting Willingdon Road, Kings Drive and the A22, a female road ghost is prone to cross the road, suddenly appearing in front of cars. Distraught drivers think they have mown down a woman, but when they get out of their cars to investigate there is no one there. Tragically, this ghost is said to have caused a fatal accident in the 1920s.

Whenever I hear of a time-slip involving people dressed in period clothing, I think "eccentric locals having a party." I used to know people who enjoyed dressing up for picnics, complete with wind-up phonographs and croquet sets.
There's also the spectral Victorian funeral seen on a rural pathway, which turned out to be a group of beekeepers carefully wheeling hives to a new location. :chuckle:

Years ago when I lived in Kent, I saw on more than one occasion the lady of Bluebell Hill.

Driving back to Chatham from Maidstone, only a glimpse but it was quite clear, a woman with a pale blue dress on stood on the roadside which took me by surprise as it was about 10pm and anyone who knows bluebell hill, knows there is virtually nowhere to stand on that stretch of road.

Years ago when I lived in Kent, I saw on more than one occasion the lady of Bluebell Hill.

Driving back to Chatham from Maidstone, only a glimpse but it was quite clear, a woman with a pale blue dress on stood on the roadside which took me by surprise as it was about 10pm and anyone who knows bluebell hill, knows there is virtually nowhere to stand on that stretch of road.
Calling @Hermes (without much hope... his presence on these boards was lamentably brief).

Calling @Hermes (without much hope... his presence on these boards was lamentably brief).
I used to love perusing his road ghosts website but it's sadly been offline for a couple of years now. A quick search suggests that following his Bluebell Hill book he's switched to writing children's books. It would be great to see it reinstated and updated some day.

I used to love perusing his road ghosts website but it's sadly been offline for a couple of years now. A quick search suggests that following his Bluebell Hill book he's switched to writing children's books. It would be great to see it reinstated and updated some day.
I believe you can still look at roadghosts.com on wayback machine. I loved it too.

Back