• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Penniston's symbols are very close to those ascribed to the Utsuro Bune in the Japanese legend; I don't know why they would be so similar, unless Penniston is lying, which I think he might be. I wouldn't mind seeing Penniston take a lie detector test, I don't think he has; the more unusual the event the more a lie detector test would seem somewhat useful. I have seen quite a bit on Rendlesham and it does seem like other UFO sighting scenarios, but I know Comfortably Numb has done a great deal of research on it so we'll see.

Several witnesses who were actually at Bentwaters failed to see these 'beams'. and did not hear the chatter.
I have no evidence of any other witnesses to, 'beams of light' being directed downwards.

Doesn't of course mean there were none, nor is it unexpected we can't hear any unrelated chatter on Halt's recording.

For the record, I have this as a transcript:

VOICE: This one on the right's heading away, too.

HALT: They're both heading north. Hey, here he comes from the south, he's coming toward us now.

HALT: Now we're observing what appears to be a beam coming down to the ground.

SHOUT IN BACKGROUND: [Unclear]

HALT: This is unreal.

HALT: 03:30 and the objects are still in the sky, although the one to the south looks like it's losing a little bit of altitude. We're going around and heading back toward the base.

HALT: The object to the south is still beaming down lights to the ground.

HALT: 04:00 hours. One object still hovering over Woodbridge base at about five to ten degrees off the horizon, still moving erratic and similar lights and beaming down as earlier.
[END]

That's at least a 30 minute duration of our beams.

Note: Halt was to later clarify that the objects described as changing from half moons to circles were being viewed through a Starlight scope.

Was all of this as well?

Something was going on, all right. But the idea that the Ministry of Defence had greater interest than the US agencies, maybe regarding the plasma globes idea, is worth looking at. It would be interesting to know what other odd things had been seen at Rendlesham Forest -- there are hints in that direction. I noted one local talking about part of the forest where his dogs refused to go, which mirrors the situation in Rougham, where there were actually two such high energy locations. It would be helpful to have a dowser wander around there.

I haven't seen these until now - the original Suffolk police reports:

Screenshot_20210309-164123.jpg

Screenshot_20210309-164215.jpg

I haven't seen these until now - the original Suffolk police reports...
I read the handwriting as:

'Law Enforcement Bentwaters report they have found evidence of a craft landing, 2 miles due east of the east gate to Woodbridge...'.

So, this was reported at 10:30, next morning...

Interesting timescale, as is Airman 1C Chris Arnold's initial report, documented at 04:10, seemingly over an hour later than events unfolded, according to the original witness statements.

Last edited:
So, what was it they were observing?
Well, it definitely wasn't Mars. Conde seems to be completely wrong on that count, and I'm not sure he has much to contribute to this story, unless his activities contributed to a general atmosphere of weirdness on and around this base. Perhaps Penniston, Halt et al were primed somehow by the pranks played previously by Conde and his associates.

The object in the south was Sirius, which is the one star which would be most prone to scintillation of all visible objects in the sky. Observed through a starscope, or even with the naked eye, a wide range of phenomena might be possible, including apparent beams projecting in random directions. Sirius set at about the same time as Halt stopped observing it.

The two objects in the north were probably Deneb and Vega, two stars that wouldn't set in this time-frame. but they would gradually fade away as the sky brightened towards dawn. I find it bizarre that Halt and co. could observe these 'objects' in the north sky and happily accept that they were still up there when they gave up and went home.

Here's a YouTube clip of Sirius twinkling, showing what the star looks like under good seeing conditions.

This, I would venture, puts an end to any related and conceivable mystery.

Again from my ancient files and stubbornly refusing reformatting!

Easier just to upload:

www.forteanmedia.com/CHRIS_A.TXT
So basically you have Halt, Burroughs, Penniston et al on one side and Chris Arnold (no relation of Kenneth, I suppose) calling the others incompetent at best and liars at worst. Couldn't be a more complete standoff. Now I have no great regard for military types but going by Halt's testimony that I've seen a few times, and his clearly genuine anger when his account is challenged tells me that there is something amiss with the Arnold version. It sounds very plausible, extremely well composed and dismissive, but I wonder how much we do know about him. The file begins with a desire to have more background but ends in the air. Could he have been thrown in to add a bit more disinformation to the mix?

Not at all. I don't believe that Halt or Burroughs have much faith in the bizarre ramblings of Penniston. Halt's and Burroughs' testimonies fall into the 'honest mistake' category, while Penniston is off on another planet altogether.

Not at all. I don't believe that Halt or Burroughs have much faith in the bizarre ramblings of Penniston. Halt's and Burroughs' testimonies fall into the 'honest mistake' category, while Penniston is off on another planet altogether.
Penniston certainly is. But where did those weird ramblings come from? I'm still thinking that there's some mind control going on there. I really don't think Halt's claims can be an honest mistake -- either he experienced an overhead UFo beaming light down at the mens' feet, or he's outright lying -- or crazy.

He did not experience an overhead UFO, neither is he lying, or crazy. This is just a misremembering.
These events occurred 40 years ago. There is no mention of anything overhead on the tape, or in his account written soon after. This is how memory can be deceptive; he remembers a UFO over his head now, because he has imagined it so many times, often in response to questions by well-meaning UFOlogists. Human memory is unreliable, unfortunately.

He did not experience an overhead UFO, neither is he lying, or crazy. This is just a misremembering.
These events occurred 40 years ago. There is no mention of anything overhead on the tape, or in his account written soon after. This is how memory can be deceptive; he remembers a UFO over his head now, because he has imagined it so many times, often in response to questions by well-meaning UFOlogists. Human memory is unreliable, unfortunately.
There is a whole lot of stuff that Halt didn't include in his original official report, and there is speculation about that. But the basic story remains the same, and no, I don't go for the misremembering hypothesis. If you or I went out into the woods and just saw a few odd lights that could have been stars or plasmas or some kind of reflections from the lighthouse, I don't think that that narrative would easily evolve into "some were overhead and sent light beams down at our feet." If someone is repeatedly asked about the same incident, and the answers put on record, then it should be possible to go over the records and prove that such systematic distortion did occur. Nobody has done that (yet). I don't think that;s misremembering, it's something qualitatively different, and either an outright lie or some kind of mind manipulation by those who want to push the ET narrative. But it seems we shall never know.

So basically you have Halt, Burroughs, Penniston et al on one side and Chris Arnold (no relation of Kenneth, I suppose) calling the others incompetent at best...
I had already written the following, before reading your reply.

[Start]
To clarify, I meant in relation to the police report, not the incidents themselves.

There's still some unanswered questions.

Firstly, Chris Arnold's much later recollections of events that first night do not gel with our original witness statements at all.

As always, the earliest documented evidence is crucial and in this case we have a clear account of Penniston reporting a, 'mechanical' object, a drawing of same and also sketches from Burroughs and himself of lights observed within the forest.

It's not all straightforward!
[End]

'Strange But True?' was broadcast in December 1994.

...the original dcumentary is on YouTube...
Just to note; at 6:32, in the second video, Burroughs recalling that subsequent night, when Halt became involved and Burroughs claims he witnessed a blue light, 'streaking past them, passing through the window of a truck and switching the off the light-alls...'

Surely this is erroneous and relates to the first night and Burroughs statement:

"Once we reached the farmer's house we could see a beacon going around so we went towards it.

We followed it for about 2 miles before we could see it was coming from a lighthouse.

We had just crossed a creek and were told to come back when we saw a blue light to our left in the trees. It was only there for a min and it just streaked away. After that, we didn't see anything so we returned to the truck".

So far as I'm aware, Burroughs wasn't even involved that second night.

How can you know this for certain!
Sirius was in the south, moving slowly towards the horizon. Halt says at one point;
HALT: 03:30 and the objects are still in the sky, although the one to the south looks like it’s losing a little bit of altitude. We’re turning around and heading back toward the base.

HALT: The object to the south is still beaming down lights to the ground.

HALT: 04:00 hours. One object still hovering over Woodbridge base at about five to ten degrees off the horizon, still moving erratic and similar lights and beaming down as earlier.
This is exactly consistent with the position of Sirius and its behaviour when seen through a handheld Starscope. Halt has probably confused in his memory his observations of the star on the distant horizon and his observations through the star scope, which would make it a lot brighter and larger, therefore apparently closer. The image in the scope would also show irregular movements, because it was held in the hand, so autokinesis need not account for all its apparent movements. The Starscope would also display the scintillations more clearly, possibly as beams as in the video above and this frame from that video, below.

sirius1.png

Elsewhere in the tape one of the other observers shouts 'colours!'

Last edited:
I had already written the following, before reading your reply.

[Start]
To clarify, I meant in relation to the police report, not the incidents themselves.

There's still some unanswered questions.

Firstly, Chris Arnold's much later recollections of events that first night do not gel with our original witness statements at all.

As always, the earliest documented evidence is crucial and in this case we have a clear account of Penniston reporting a, 'mechanical' object, a drawing of same and also sketches from Burroughs and himself of lights observed within the forest.

It's not all straightforward!
[End]
No, it isn't! As I suggested, some kind of comprehensive timeline, both of the alleged events themselves and of when each witness statement was made, seems the only way of clarifying the matter. Or slightly clarifying it! The key event to me is not the Halt chasing lights episode but the alleged hovering craft and the very interesting accounts given (maybe late in the day) to Nick Pope by the witnesses who seem to have experienced time distortions, received coded messages, and all manner of odd things. Halt is given attention because of his rank and the dramatic tape recordings, but I have to agree with Pope that Burroughs and Penniston are "central to the story." One interesting point made early on is that one of the men who had seen the descent of the light stated clearly that it hadn't crashed, it had landed. Plus of course the alleged radar return indicating a target that disappeared over that area. Other features that struck me as significant was the high level of static in the area of the object, and its sudden dramatic appearance first as a brightly lit clearing, then as an exploding ball of light, and only then as a structured craft. I can't think of any UFO cases quite duplicating this sequence -- you may know of some -- and I can't help wondering if there was some mind control activity implied. But who was doing it?

I think this might be that same, 'Halt Lecture'.
It sure is.

Although most certainly an interesting talk, there's perhaps nothing new of note

We were, for example, already consumately aware, as Halt recalls:

"I do know that at least two, if not all three of the original participants did get some special treatment as far as debriefing which included injection"...

:cshock:

It sure is.

Although most certainly an interesting talk, there's perhaps nothing new of note

We were, for example, already consumately aware, as Halt recalls:

"I do know that at least two, if not all three of the original participants did get some special treatment as far as debriefing which included injection"...

:cshock:
Penniston refers to multiple use of sodium pentathol and maybe other drugs by AFOSI. To get at hidden memories or to create a false memory trail? Also, re Halt, Pope says that he has deliberately held back most of the recordings he made that night.

Thought I had posted a link to the audio tape, only to just discover it was still at the preview stage.

Perhaps for the best, as saved myself from some embarrassment - I had headed the recording Charles Fort Lecture... :rolleyes:

Here it is - 15 minutes in length (15Mb):

Chales Halt Lecture

www.forteanmedia.com/Halt-Lecture.m4a

Just to note; at 6:32, in the second video, Burroughs recalling that subsequent night, when Halt became involved and Burroughs claims he witnessed a blue light, 'streaking past them, passing through the window of a truck and switching off the light-alls...'

Surely this is erroneous and relates to the first night. ...So far as I'm aware, Burroughs wasn't even involved that second night.
Yes, he was - it's mentioned in Halt's lecture.

So that's cleared up... only leaves us to rationalise:

Burroughs claims he witnessed a blue light, 'streaking past them, passing through the window of a truck and switching off the light-alls...'.

Damnit, just when you thought our proverbial omelette was maybe unscrambling a wee bit... let's add a touch of Tabasco instead... :evil:

I have to agree with Pope
I have to keep saying it - don't place too much store on what Nick Pope has to say about anything. Philip Mantle, David Clarke and Kevin Randle have done a great job demolishing Pope's claims in recent months.

A particularly detailed piece by Randle - who is pretty impartial, by the way - can be found here.

Penniston refers to multiple use of sodium pentathol and maybe other drugs by AFOSI. To get at hidden memories or to create a false memory trail? Also, re Halt, Pope says that he has deliberately held back most of the recordings he made that night.
Penniston's claims I was aware of and understood this orginated from our infernal, 'hypnotic regression'.

Halt implies that two of the three participants - presumably Penniston and Burroughs - were subjected to, 'injection' as part if their debriefing and possibly Cabansag as well.

That's obviously an entirely different scenario and certainly a claim I was previously unaware of.

It makes little sense, as conversely the entire episode covering both nights was, 'no big deal '...

Which brings us to Halt's recollection about an A10 being dispatched to Ramstein AFB in Germany (HQ), carrying some film pertaining to events.

Hal's aforementioned interview with the, 'Huffington Post' is most intriguing concerning same and although I can't locate at present, thought I had an e-mail way back from the person who stated they handed over that film to the A10 pilot.

Did I maybe follow this up to no avail?

I know, for sure, I have letter from Ramstein AFB in response to a FOIA request and will revisit same forthwith!

I have to keep saying it - don't place too much store on what Nick Pope has to say about anything. Philip Mantle, David Clarke and Kevin Randle have done a great job demolishing Pope's claims in recent months.
Wowzer!

Entirely unaware about any of this and look forward to reading Randle's article.

I have highlighted from the outset that Pope was vastly exaggerating his tenure at the MoD's 'UFO desk' and that's why I wrote to them seeking clarification, to which they replied - see:

https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...ence-is-starting-to-listen.65601/post-1858279

Didn't Halt or someone say they felt that Penniston and another one of them had been "gotten to" or something like that, when they showed up --implying that they were told by superiors to misinform? I could be totally wrong, but I remember something like that. The whole thing is becoming a Roswell-like headache.. :pop:

Back