• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ridiculous Accidents

I did much the same with a saucepan of shepherds pie concoction, left it on low to simmer. Then forgot it & went to bed. Three o’ clock & the smoke alarm went off!

I still claim that the carrots spontaneously combusted.........

But at least I know that the smoke alarm works.

I did much the same with a saucepan of shepherds pie concoction, left it on low to simmer. Then forgot it & went to bed. Three o’ clock & the smoke alarm went off!

I still claim that the carrots spontaneously combusted.........But at least I know that the smoke alarm works.

People die in accidents like this, often when drunk. (Not that you were.) They come in from t'pub, set up some supper and fall asleep waiting for it, and the smoke gets them. A bloke in my home town killed both himself and his dog this way. They were found in the kitchen.

People die in accidents like this, often when drunk. (Not that you were.) They come in from t'pub, set up some supper and fall asleep waiting for it, and the smoke gets them. A bloke in my home town killed both himself and his dog this way. They were found in the kitchen.
I feel for the poor dog ......

The classic was the last fag of the day in bed. Then they fall asleep & it’s their last fag ever........

Yep - I had to examine the scene of many of these incidents. (Mainly) blokes would come home pissed, fancy some chips, put the chip pan on and then fall asleep. Chip pan fires were very common, thankfully largely eradicated.

I feel for the poor dog ......

The classic was the last fag of the day in bed. Then they fall asleep & it’s their last fag ever........

The movie star Linda Darnell died that way. She was terrified of fire, which makes it even worse, somehow.

Many many years ago I developed the habit of getting in from the pub and cooking a couple of fried egg sandwiches. One night I put the pan on, sat on the sofa and next thing I was woken by the first model Mrs T63 who, herself, had been woken up by the crying of our Great Dane when the pan started to smoke. I got a telling off!

I remember the day that my 'other half' at the time did what she usually did of a weekday morning, a put 2 eggs in a pan of boiling water to make hard-boiled eggs for her sandwiches for lunch.
For some reason on that particular day we went to work without sandwiches (we worked at the same place), earlier than usual, forgetting about the eggs.
Upon our return form work around 5pm we were greeted by the most unpleasant stench upon entering the flat, only to discover the remains of an aluminium pan with a hole burnt through it and a sort of burnt on crust of destroyed eggshell deposited around the inside of it.
I wish I had been there to witness the slow fiery destruction of eggs and then pan.

I recently had cause to report a site accident whereby a scaffolder, striking a scaffold, walked onto the end of a horizontal scaffold tube and cut his head. He milked it for all it was worth and we got the usual solicitors letter demanding reparation for his injuries. When I had to report the accident at a safety leadership meeting I was met with the rolling of eyes and the shaking of heads.

Many many years ago I developed the habit of getting in from the pub and cooking a couple of fried egg sandwiches. One night I put the pan on, sat on the sofa and next thing I was woken by the first model Mrs T63 who, herself, had been woken up by the crying of our Great Dane when the pan started to smoke. I got a telling off!

Techy once put some sausages under the grill and went off upstairs to look at his computer, forgetting about his tea.

Our big dog stayed to supervise the cooking of his favourite food. When it began to look a bit well-done he bounded upstairs and alerted Techy with eloquent whimpering and yelps.

Techy said it was like a scene from Lassie - 'What's that you say, Rocky? The sausages are in danger? Good grief!'
The sausages were indeed a little charred. Just how Rocky liked them, and Techy found something else to eat, and the house didn't burn down, so it was good all round.

The movie star Linda Darnell died that way. She was terrified of fire, which makes it even worse, somehow.
This also happened to the singer Steve Marriott. Fell asleep, jet lagged, with a lit cigarette.

This also happened to the singer Steve Marriott. Fell asleep, jet lagged, with a lit cigarette.
I came across this on a couple of occasions. I always wonder how someone can stay asleep whilst a fire develops around them. I guess its the inhalation of fumes that gets them first. I've mentioned before that 50 years ago when in hospital a bloke came in who had fallen asleep drunk by an open fire and only woke up when literally half his leg had burned away. A sight I'll never forget that's for sure.

I saw a cut open sprung mattress at a local fire station open day, where the cigarette burnt a small hole in the mattress before dropping into the interior & setting that smouldering as well.

The person on the mattress was woken up by the smoke alarm, but couldn’t work out where the smoke was coming from. Eventually they did the right thing & dialled 999.......

Whrn I was a kid a neighbour fell asleep smoking (most likely drunk) and the firemen carried the mattress out of the front door and hosed it on the pavement.

My mother sniffed that this was really a display to shame him for smoking in bed!
As my father smoked but she didn't I feel there was a back story there.

On the subject of smoking & fires. In the mid 70’s I was working on a ward with a number of elderly ladies.

A lot of the frailer ladies had zimmer frames with wicker bike baskets strapped on the front for their knitting or embroidery & often their cigarettes, invariably someone would drop their cigarette into this mix & it was quite common to throw a blazing zimmer frame out of the ward door onto the grass, then run back in for a bucket of water.

Happy days!!!!!

Happened to Viv Stanshall too. There's a story about John Walters meeting him and expressing delight he was still alive. When Stanshall thanked him for being kind, Walters pointed out it was because it was a miracle he wasn't dead yet, considering his lifestyle, so not much of a compliment after all.

Happened to Viv Stanshall too. There's a story about John Walters meeting him and expressing delight he was still alive. When Stanshall thanked him for being kind, Walters pointed out it was because it was a miracle he wasn't dead yet, considering his lifestyle, so not much of a compliment after all.
I didn't know Stanshall died that way, unless I heard at the time and forgot. How sad.

I didn't know Stanshall died that way, unless I heard at the time and forgot. How sad.

It was on his houseboat, I think, a terrible way to go for a brilliant but troubled man. One reason I remember it is because I had a weird "premonition" about his death on the day it happened.

It was on his houseboat, I think, a terrible way to go for a brilliant but troubled man. One reason I remember it is because I had a weird "premonition" about his death on the day it happened.
Stanshall was found dead on the morning of 6 March 1995, after an electrical fire had broken out as he slept in his top floor flat in Muswell Hill, North London.

Thanks, Mytho, he was obviously off the houseboat by then. Twenty-five years ago!

I came across this on a couple of occasions. I always wonder how someone can stay asleep whilst a fire develops around them. I guess its the inhalation of fumes that gets them first. I've mentioned before that 50 years ago when in hospital a bloke came in who had fallen asleep drunk by an open fire and only woke up when literally half his leg had burned away. A sight I'll never forget that's for sure.

Reminds me of a woman I met as a carer. She'd sadly caught MRSA in hospital after an accident and was in a sorry way.
The hospital stay was due to her falling with her back against something hot.
( I remember this as the gas fire but surely she'd be dead? Maybe it was the radiator.)

Being disabled she was unable to lift herself off it or raise the alarm and was there for some hours. She'd needed a huge skin graft and was in constant pain, poor woman.

A related pizza oven accident....

In a previous life I was manager of a number of branches of a popular high street pizza establishment.

One morning we received a shipment of clip-on ties for all supervisors, with an instruction to immediately cease wearing the traditional ties we had used previously.

A chap somewhere else on the country had got his tie caught in the top conveyor belt oven when switching it on, which proceeded to slowly pull his face to the metal casing.

Which gradually heated to 240 degrees.

The belts had a slipping mechanism which meant it carried on pulling him towards the oven until a cleaner found him an hour or so later. The belt is at chest level and his arms were pinned underneath which meant he couldn't reach either the tie or the off switch.

A related pizza oven accident....

In a previous life I was manager of a number of branches of a popular high street pizza establishment.

One morning we received a shipment of clip-on ties for all supervisors, with an instruction to immediately cease wearing the traditional ties we had used previously.

A chap somewhere else on the country had got his tie caught in the top conveyor belt oven when switching it on, which proceeded to slowly pull his face to the metal casing.

Which gradually heated to 240 degrees.

The belts had a slipping mechanism which meant it carried on pulling him towards the oven until a cleaner found him an hour or so later. The belt is at chest level and his arms were pinned underneath which meant he couldn't reach either the tie or the off switch.
Why was anybody wearing a tie anyway?

1601373397853.png

A strange accident but not at all funny -

Little boy in critical condition with severe burns after church nativity horror

From what I've read, the child's Nativity costume is thought to have caught fire.

This is pure speculation on my part, but I'm wondering if this costume was a sheep or lamb? The reason is that I have read of this sort of accident happening before, twice in fact, where people have suffered burns when an improvised sheep costume caught fire.

Here's one -
RAF pilot set on fire wearing sheep costume

I heard about another such incident when I worked at the local Magistrates' Courts a few years ago, in a case where a young man who was dressed as a sheep (wearing, I think, a piece of the inner part of a duvet) for a fancy dress party was set alight by a friend. He suffered severe burns. This one didn't make the news.

Makes me wonder. The Nativity incident has been put down to the children carrying candles, it wasn't deliberate.
Either there has been another Shhep costume incident or this has been mis-reported, but I dealt with one event involving Army personnel where one chap set his cotton wool clad buddy alight. Alcohol may have been a factor, dressing up is very popular among certain branches of the armed forces.

Back