• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
What terrifies me to contemplate is that Brand thinks scum like Alex Jones and nutters like Icke are "ahead of the curve".
You can tell the audience Brand is aiming for.
What's interesting is that when I read that, just realised part of me thinks Brand is just playing these wingnuts and can't possibly really, truly believe any of the conspiracy BS. Then I realised, "Would you think that about any of the others who are buying into this stuff?" And the answer is... no. Brand did seem genuinely intelligent - someone like Icke, or Alex Jones... not so much. Am just struggling with the cognitive dissonance that I've realised I can't really believe Brand personally buys into any of this (it's just a proven to be gullible audience and he does strike me as a man in search of an audience. Any audience). Yet on another level - he does buy into it, doesn't he?

What's interesting is that when I read that, just realised part of me thinks Brand is just playing these wingnuts and can't possibly really, truly believe any of the conspiracy BS. Then I realised, "Would you think that about any of the others who are buying into this stuff?" And the answer is... no. Brand did seem genuinely intelligent - someone like Icke, or Alex Jones... not so much. Am just struggling with the cognitive dissonance that I've realised I can't really believe Brand personally buys into any of this (it's just a proven to be gullible audience and he does strike me as a man in search of an audience. Any audience). Yet on another level - he does buy into it, doesn't he?
There's plenty of intelligent people who have a 'blind spot' which makes them gullible and appealed by some theories.
Brand can easily be intelligent enough to act as 'a true believer' in order to make money and gain a following - and therefore regular income. This is a form of celebrity trolling, except instead of rewarding the troll with outraged response, it's keeping him in his luxury accommodation.

Do fake mediums believe the drek they peddle to their audiences? Some I think are genuinely intuitive and maybe believe that they are helping but I'm sure a lot are just scammers - but in public they'll try to sound convincing. Brand is an actor* after all.

*Hardly David Tennant or John Gielgud but he knows the process.

Do fake mediums believe the drek they peddle to their audiences? Some I think are genuinely intuitive and maybe believe that they are helping but I'm sure a lot are just scammers - but in public they'll try to sound convincing. Brand is an actor* after all.

I've heard it often said that scammers and serial liars often come to believe their lies and that it helps them become more convincing.

I find David Tennant can only play David Tennant...

I wouldn't call Brand interesting. Considering the things he is accused of, disgusting, narcissistic, weird and creepy, but not interesting.
Yup, my point was that nearly any subject is more engaging than Brand is. :nods:

Edit - in fact the sole of one of my favourite hiking boots is looking a little worn. I'll have a think about what to do.

Last edited:
Yup, my point was that nearly any subject is more engaging than Brand is. :nods:

Edit - in fact the sole of one of my favourite hiking boots is looking a little worn. I'll have a think about what to do.

does the sole of one of your favourite hiking boots have a blog? I NEEEEEEEEEEEED to connect with it!

does the sole of one of your favourite hiking boots have a blog? I NEEEEEEEEEEEED to connect with it!
There's a lasting* on line feud with the sole of the other hiking boot which resents not being favourite

*LASTing - gettit?

I thought he did a convincing job as Dennis Nilsen. Wonder who'd play Brand if not the man himself? Johnny Depp?
I saw someone online going on about how sexy he is (Tennant, not Nilsen!) and so said they should watch him in the Dennis Nilsen thing...

It did prove he has a bit more range, that part. Also saw him playing a creep years ago (before Dr Who) and he was very convincing.

I thought he did a convincing job as Dennis Nilsen. Wonder who'd play Brand if not the man himself? Johnny Depp?
He's probably too old now and apparently he's retired from performance, but a couple of decades ago there was a bloke called Rob Newman who had the cachet of being the first superstar comedian who could fill not just a theatre, but an arena. (alongside his comic partner, one David Baddiel).

Newman had the same look as Russell Brand, something of the same sort of reputation, and if he'd grown a beard, might have been indistinguishable.

He's probably too old now and apparently he's retired from performance, but a couple of decades ago there was a bloke called Rob Newman who had the cachet of being the first superstar comedian who could fill not just a theatre, but an arena. (alongside his comic partner, one David Baddiel).

Newman had the same look as Russell Brand, something of the same sort of reputation, and if he'd grown a beard, might have been indistinguishable.
Newman was brilliant, but I think he became burnt-out with all the work and the touring.
I guess he made enough money to retire young.

Newman was brilliant, but I think he became burnt-out with all the work and the touring.
I guess he made enough money to retire young.
He hasn’t retired, he still does live shows, is an author & has shows on the radio from time to time.

If you’re close by you can see him at Selby Town Hall this coming Friday.

I have high regard for the Newman/Baddiel combo. The 'historians' sticks out in my mind. As does Armstrong/Miller, with their 'Airmen' skits.
Both, to me, highlight language use and expectation; f'r instance, 'upper class' WW2 airmen using Received Pronunciation to voice 'street slang' is outstanding!
However I pre-empt mods to point out Russel Brand has made his acting career on using 'Estuary English' to both act in roles and convince people of his sincerity and 'grounded' attitude.
He can use complicated and 'posh' words but with an Estuary accent. It alarms the upper class and comforts the lower class.
Apparently.

He hasn’t retired, he still does live shows, is an author & has shows on the radio from time to time.

If you’re close by you can see him at Selby Town Hall this coming Friday.
I have high regard for the Newman/Baddiel combo. The 'historians' sticks out in my mind. As does Armstrong/Miller, with their 'Airmen' skits.
Both, to me, highlight language use and expectation; f'r instance, 'upper class' WW2 airmen using Received Pronunciation to voice 'street slang' is outstanding!
However I pre-empt mods to point out Russel Brand has made his acting career on using 'Estuary English' to both act in roles and convince people of his sincerity and 'grounded' attitude.
He can use complicated and 'posh' words but with an Estuary accent. It alarms the upper class and comforts the lower class.
Apparently.
There's not much comedy that decades later makes me smirk if I still think about it, but those historian characters - do. I think, looking back, could sense the tension (palpable dislike) between Baddiel and Newman which made it even more interesting. Newman was always my favourite of the two.

Back