• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Baffling and disappointing to see sci-fi comedy EEAAO was the big winner at the Oscars, ahead of anti-war epic All Quiet on the Western Front.
The Oscar judges clearly rate silliness above profundity.

Yep: EEAAO was seen by six hipsters in Islington, and they’re still debating WTF it was about.

Top Gun: Maverick has been enjoyed by enough people to earn about $1.5B, and gets one gong for Sound.

maximus otter

Yep: EEAAO was seen by six hipsters in Islington, and they’re still debating WTF it was about.

Top Gun: Maverick has been enjoyed by enough people to earn about $1.5B, and gets one gong for Sound.

maximus otter
You lie. There must be far more than six.

I haven't been to see a film at the cinema for ages.
Last one was "The Force Awakens" in 3D. So that would be what.......8 years ago?
And before that another 10 years at least.
I hate the experience of going to the cinema these days.
People around you can't shut the fuck up. And the audio on the film is awful, mumbling, and really loud background noise.
The seats are too small.
The aisles are too narrow.
The prices of everything, from the ticket down to the popcorn, are too much.
And they want to get you in, and then out again, as quickly as possible.

Last one was "The Force Awakens" in 3D. So that would be what.......8 years ago?
People around you can't shut the fuck up. And the audio on the film is awful, mumbling, and really loud background noise.
The seats are too small.
I don't like paying for a crap movie lol. There are few movies that I go out to see, though in the past couple of years, the theatre near me has had more horror movies available. But I have to really want to see it. The horror movies tend to have only one showtime at 9 or 10 pm. I work at 7 am, so...

I too hate the over loud sound. I like to enjoy the movie, not shove my hands over my ears.

It was good, I like it a lot but ... it didn't deserve all of those Oscars.

No it didn't.

Whilst Avatar The Way of Water didn't exactly blow me away, I found it orders of magnitude more entertaining than EEAAO and I would have been happier if Avatar had scooped the Oscars (although I really thought All Quiet on the Western Front really deserved it).

The seats are too small.
Please keep us informed when you actually see a film.

I suppose that to keep up with my 'regular' film viewing I should plan a cinema visit for sometime within the next year or two.

I haven't been to see a film in a cinema since 2012 when Judge Dredd came out. It cost me so much I never went back even though it was quite a pleasant experience.

65: Not quite what I expected: I thought it was going to be a Time Travel film. Actually it's set 65 million years ago, a Starship pilot, Mills (Adam Driver) from an Alien planet has his ship damaged when it;' struck by a meteor and it crash-lands on Earth (to him an unknown, uncharted planet). He soon discovers that only one of his cryosleep passengers has survived, a young girl, Koa (Ariana Greenblatt). The starship has broken in half and the part containing the orbiter shuttle is 15 kilometres away. Thus begins a trek through jungle and over hills, facing dinosaurs both great and small. The little raptors are the worst, attack like rabid Jack Russel Terriers but proto-Komodo Dragons come a close second. The tension is well maintained and the threat scenes aren't hackneyed; there is also another threat which puts time pressure on them reaching the escape vehicle but you'll have to watch the film to learn about that. A prologue and flashbacks fill us in on Mills'life and motivations. a good but at times troubled relationship develops between Mills and Koa with good acting from Driver and especially Greenblatt. Good effects, nothing extraordinary about the film but well worth watching. Written and Directed by Scott Beck and Bryan Woods. 7.5/10.

In cinemas.

Actually I think that was from the 1995 Judge Dredd movie that 2000AD fans don't like to mention because visually it was splendid but the plot and characters weren't true to the comic. It was a good moment though.

In 2012 it was the more brutal one with Karl Urban in it which was very close to the comic in character but missed the more fun way out elements of the comic.

I liked them both really.

Actually I think that was from the 1995 Judge Dredd movie that 2000AD fans don't like to mention because visually it was splendid but the plot and characters weren't true to the comic. It was a good moment though.

In 2012 it was the more brutal one with Karl Urban in it which was very close to the comic in character but missed the more fun way out elements of the comic.

I liked them both really.
You're quite correct, I was wrong. The 2012 film was rather good though, but as you say, brutal.

Miami Vice Series 4 Episode 7: Missing Hours (1987)

Available here in full:

https://archive.org/details/m1am1-v1c3/Miami+Vice+S04e07+Missing+Hours.mkv

Written by science fiction author Thomas Disch and purportedly the worst episode made.

Crockett and Tubbs investigate a UFO cult fronted by James Brown (really).

Features Chris Rock and possible alien abduction.

The most commonly seen summary of this episode is simply: BONKERS.

Disney Plus admitted that their TV series Willow “ grossed out “ badly.

Disney said this will slow down a lot of other ideas Disney was working on in the SciFi area.

One of the nominees for Best Animated Short Film was called An Ostrich Told Me The World Is Fake And I Believe It. It is about a stop-motion character who has a bit of a revelation, slightly fortean.
...And I think that’s a superb name for a musical troupe imho-I believe they now call them “rock bands” or “ pop group”, nowadays?....

Disney Plus is trying to make people think their new series Secret Invasion June 21 will be as popular as Loki.

I think this is a Disney Plus miscalculation.

There is only one Loki !

After finishing season 5 of stranger things, British actor Millie Bobby Brown was offered 12 million dollars to make a Stranger Things movie.

Millie said season 5 was the end for her in this franchise.

Millie was a hit in Godzilla and Enola Holmes movies.

Lola: A cautionary tale about Time Travel; even if it just involved intercepting future Radio and TV broadcasts. Sisters Thomasina (Emma Appleton) and Martha (Stefanie Martini) have always been precocious, fiddling around with valves and electrical components since they were toddlers. Martha is the ideas person/inventor, Thomasina is the engineer who creates the devices. In October 1938 they build Lola, a chronovisor, they view and listen to future TV signals. They first see Bowie playing Space Oddity but go on to view rhe future Grand Nationals and other events to make money from betting. When World War 2 begins they intercept future news to warn people about bombing raids. Eventually tracked down by Military Intelligence they aid the War effort but when you interfere with the future yiu end up with unexpected consequences and no good deed goes unpunished.

The conceit is that is found footage, a film put together by Martha from newsreels, old home films and film shot by Martha on 16 mm stock. It is wonderful in black and white, blurry at times, blacking/whiting out. Changes made to actual 1930s/40s cinenews are seamless and transforms history. Bowie references provide many in jokes and cultural references, as the girls sing and dance in the future music. An Anti-Bowie. Reggie Watson (Shaun Boylan) delivers sinister tunes in a Bowiesque style. The sisters are delightfully eccentric, even keeping a horse indoors, they live in an old crumbling manor house where they basucally raised themselves as "wild childen". Great performances by Appleton and Martini with Rory Fleck Byrne as an Intelligemce officer who falls for Martha and Aaron Monaghan as his manipulative superior. Neil Hannon provides the original soundtrack with Watson's authoritarian songs. Directed and written by Andrew Legge. 8.5/10,

In cinemas,

Back