• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

'Six Degrees Of Separation'

I once met Eddie Izzard in the Virgin Megastore on Oxford Street. And, by a bizarre coincidence, bumped into Ben Elton walking down the road about 10 minutes later.

Saw Jeremy Beadle on Oxford Street as well (amazing what you see when you don't have a gun!!!) :eek!!!!:

Met Daev Walsh in a pub in Dublin.

Met Prince Charles when I was a kid and he was at one of the shoots that my father was gamekeeper for.

When I was a nipper we used to climb over the fence at the back of Peter Cushings house and run around his garden pretending to be monsters. He was a very charming man who took our intrusions with dignity and good humour.

Met Phil Tufnell, Angus Fraser and Max Clifford at a solicitors firm I used to work at.

Met James Herbert, Oliver Sacks, Sebastian Coe and V.S. Naipal at a publishing company I worked at.

That's all I can think of for the moment, but I'm sure some more will come to me :cool:

Sounds like something on offer at one of Madame Cyn's parties . . .

Carole

a Lucille Ball spanking

Someone earlier on the thread was babysat by Ms Ball, who was a champion spanker!

Oh no

Last week I was treating a patient who'd been a prison officer and had worked with Ian Brady, the infamous and universally hated moors murderer.
Brady now spends his time translating, with a special typewriter gizmo, children's books into Braille.

Is it just me, or would it be sensible to have this worked checked over before publication.......

My only contributions to this thread...

My father has delivered mail to John Barnes, and bumped into a famous grandmaster called Karpov in the toilets at a chess tournament.

My mother spotted Paul Ince shopping in Chester once.

I got about 20 feet away from the Queen when she visited Chester a while back, I also sat very close to Robbie Coltrane at Anfield, and at a different game I'm absolutely positive Gianluca Vialli made a split-second eye contact with me when I shouted something obscene at him from the first row.

Oh, and I also had the misfortune to get cuddled by Gyles Brandreth on his election campaign :cross eye.

I don't know whether that's above or below the average link rate for a 16 year old.

Aslo, what about the people we might meet or bump into briefly before they become famous, then we forget about it, so we never know that we've actually met them?

I'd say that was pretty good for a 16 year old.

BTW, who's Aslo? Was he in LOTR?

(OK, only joking, I seem to make that sort of typo ever more often nowadays.)

simonsmith said:
Sorry but I really can't. I'd probably had a drink when I wrote the original post. My failing. Shouldn't have added that bit. It was stupid of me. Please forget that I did.
No chance, Si. All we need is a name.....

A TV documentary the other night about the sinking of the Prince of Wales and the Repulse by the Japanese in WWII reminded me that one of the older Coastguards, when I joined the CG in the late 70s, was one of the survivors from the POW. He found himself standing on the capsized hull, so he took his shoes off and placed them neatly together on the hull before jumping into the sea.

Now Ernie wasn't famous, but I suppose through him I link to the captain, the admiral, and all the hundreds of others on both sides who took part in the battle. This was only the second time that battleships had been sunk by aircraft in wartime - the first was Pearl Harbour, where the American fleet were sitting ducks. But the sinking of the POW, Britain's most modern warship, effectively ended the battleship era.

Paul Danuals AND Debbie Mcgee!

barndad said:
i've met Paul daniels and "the lovely" Debbie Mcgee.
Also Anthea Turner.
I saw Mark Lamarr, Pauline quirke and Linda Robson, and Ronnie Corbett in Heathrow- tho not at the same time.

That sounds horable, even if it wasn't at the some time.

My Aunt and Uncle ones saw Deric Jacoby in Glasgow. They men up after wards (each did not know that the other was in Glasgow) and when they each described the sighting they realised thay had been standing more or less next to each other.

Ok not that inpresive but it made me chorkle in a small, dry way.

(Hey Rynner, you like boats don't you?
I was overtaken by one yesterday on the M62, travelling at God knows how many knots on a lowloader.
Looked brand new, like it had never even been wet, how nice for whoever it was being delivered to!)

I tried the radio link to the debunking chappie but my pc froze up!

An ex-BF working as a dispatch rider delivered stuff to Kate Bush.
My brother in law once saw Patrick Moore, with a battered suitcase, on Crewe Station.

And, get this, another ex BF worked as a ticket clerk on Crewe Station and swore that John Cleese asked for a ticket in a silly voice, then did Silly Walks up and down the station concourse!

My psychic daughter predicted that her mate would meet a celebrity, and the mate met Keith Harris!!!!!!!!!!!

Her BF used to serve the Charlatans' Martin Blunt in Currys in Northwich! He bought print cartridges, a kettle and a TV during this prestigious if fleeting relationship. Martin also sat on the BF's scooter and was impressed!

Same daughter works with a great-great-(?-however many greats) grandson of the author of the hymn 'Bread of Heaven'.

Her drama teacher went to school with Thom Yorke. He says Thom was very quiet and rather odd.

Another ex of hers used to do building work in Burnage, Manchester, and his mates met Liam Gallagher, who was about 19 and had been hanging round outside the local Co-Op showing off his new trainers!

A mate of hers was at a gig smoking weed, when Noel Gallagher sneaked up, cadged a drag and Bogarted the lot! He was wearing the most hideous rubber coat too.

No separation here - I actually know someone who has had an asteroid named after him! (Gasps of amazement from admiring masses.)

You can find the details here

I suppose I could connect to some other 'asteroids' via longer links; eg, Sir Patrick Moore also has an asteroid named after him, and members of our society have met him - but I think one asteroid is enough!

I have met:

Greville Janner MP
Englebert Humperdinck's nephew
Jim Davidson
Glen Matlock (ex Sex Pistols)
Lord Attenborough
Helen Sharman (astronaut)
Jeff Hoffmann (ditto)
Patrick Moore (very short man, wider than tall)

Plus:

I was a school with Josette Simon who was in Blake's Seven
I worked with a girl who later married Robert Cray

and finally

My old boss's daughter is married to Eileen (Emily Bishop) Derbyshire's son

What a fantastic thread!
The obscure ones are always the best IMHO. Here goes:

My dad was inspected by Hiele Sellassi (sp?)
My sister nursed the bloke who played Walker in Dad's Army.
Howard Devoto once asked my husband to move his car.
Basil Brush told my ex BF to F*** off. Yes really.
My husbands friend is the gardener of whats'er name who played Cybil in Fawlty Towers
I've spoken to Lol Creme's (10cc) cousin several time on the phone at work
Another sister was dumped by the guitarist from the Glitter Band for being crap in bed.
I went to the same school as Elvis Costello's ex wife.

I met both Honeybear Edwards, who was present the night Robert Johnson was murdered, and Al Casey, the only surviving member of Fats Waller's Rhythm.
Once, during a photo shoot, who should appear but K.C. from The Sunshine Band fame? He even sat in for a pic!

My brother's band got to number 5 in the charts in the 80's.

I'm saying nothing else.

To say I got some serious ribbing at school the day after top of the pops is an understatement. They....erm....Did the Hucklebuck.

:cross eye :cross eye

Ha! Hahahaha! Hee! Hohohoho...ahem...cough...splutter...sorry.
I've got it on a big yellow record, someplace.

I cannot remember hearing that song at all yet I remember songs from the year I was born! Was it any good?

Luce

The short answer, Lucydru, is NO. The long answer is NOOOOOO!!

Looks like they are going to put this to the test. Check out the link on the nome page.

Luce

back to Bacon

While on this subject does anyone know the game 'Back to Bacon' or 'Six degrees of Kevin Bacon'. The idea is that any movie made since the 1980's can be linked back to Kevin Bacon in 6 or less steps?

The rules are that you must use actors and not producers/ directors ect.

It realy does work. I've even managed to link back from 'M', 'The Mask of the Red Death' and so no and so on.

The Kevin Bacon game is here :)

I can only get a sixer, but apparently you can get a niner :eek:

Yeah, I introduced my old workplace to the marvels of the Bacon game. My boss then went out of his way to beat it by finding the most obscure actors who were known enough to be listed, but never seemed to have been in a film with anyone famous. He had particular luck with stars from early Hong Kong and Indian cinema, I seem to recall. Then he sent an email round telling us to get on with our work.:)

Just had a go on the Bacon game. It gave me 3 for Barbara Windsor, but when I tried Sid James I briefly noted some kind of error message then IE closed down.

I know how it feels - my brain shuts down at the thought of Sid James....

Back