• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
fluffle said:
My dad took his sister on the underground once when she was visiting England. She's slightly claustrophobic. The train stopped in the tunnel for a few minutes, and she was getting agitated. He thought it would be funny to tell her of the fact that they were currently stopped underneath the Thames.

That's just mean... :D

The underground has always fascinated me, but I can't say it's ever REALLY freaked me out. But then I've very rarely been travelling on my own, or in the early hours...

My last ever journey on the underground was 3 years ago and it wasn't a nice experience. Nothing to do with spooks and that...I had been dumped by my then girlfriend in Guildford and had to make my own way back to Leeds on a Saturday afternoon, badly hungover and carrying a 55lb backpack. I had only been on the tubes once before and not on my own. I'm not a very travelled person and London was new to me.It was very humid, busy to the hilt and my head was thumping and all the other typical symptoms of a hangover and no sleep *Party previous night*...plus the upset of splitting up! I had to ask people where this and that was, how to get to StPancras (Ho ho...one of the staff said to me after an American lady made enquiries.."God I hate it when tourists call it 'St Pancreas!' Igorant twats!")...and they didn't like it! Ooh no! You can't strike up a conversation on the tube! Fortunately, my Yorkshire accent made me sound more innocent and lost so a few people cooperated and we even chatted. Imagine that! Several people chatting to each other on a busy tube train!!!!
Anyway...I had to run the last hundred or so metres to catch the train and then downed a litre of vodka with several bottes of mineral water on the train to Leeds AND struck up various more conversations with passengers!
But the tubes were particullarly hostile that afternoon.
*Watch your backs and bags people!*

Not spooky, but worrying

my ex used to work in the tunnels at night and reported seeing rats the size of Jack Russells!! But that's not my point. One of his colleagues had been working deep in a disused tunnel taking measurements and levels several nights in a row and after a few days started to feel really ill. He had flu like symptoms, his throat was swollen and he came out in a rash. After about a week of this (typical man) he went to the doctor who could find no illness to match his symptoms so he did blood tests. A few weeks and a lorry load of antibiotics later, the doc calls and asks him in to the office and tells him that the illness from which he is suffering hadnt been seen since before the second world war!!!!! Scarey stuff lying dormant in those disused tunnels.....

Re: Not spooky, but worrying

Gingernut said:
my ex used to work in the tunnels at night and reported seeing rats the size of Jack Russells!! But that's not my point. One of his colleagues had been working deep in a disused tunnel taking measurements and levels several nights in a row and after a few days started to feel really ill. He had flu like symptoms, his throat was swollen and he came out in a rash. After about a week of this (typical man) he went to the doctor who could find no illness to match his symptoms so he did blood tests. A few weeks and a lorry load of antibiotics later, the doc calls and asks him in to the office and tells him that the illness from which he is suffering hadnt been seen since before the second world war!!!!! Scarey stuff lying dormant in those disused tunnels.....

Wow! Now that is scary. Any idea what condition it was?

Do you know which disused area of the underground in which this happened?

Sorry

I really cant remember. It was back in the early nineties so its a vague recollection. I do know that the antibiotics sorted it out no problem and it certainly wasnt anything really nasty with lasting damage, but nevertheless I've never forgotten it and tend to breathe fairly shallowly when waiting for an underground train!!!

If it comes back to me, or I can get in touch with the guy I will certainly update you.

Re: Sorry

Gingernut said:
If it comes back to me, or I can get in touch with the guy I will certainly update you.

Considering that he's had "the dreaded lurgie", I wouldn't touch him! ;)

Makes you think though, doesn't it. A virus like that had to be living off something in order to survive...? :shock: :D

Covent Garden tube is said to be haunted by the murdered actor William Terris (spelling?). he has been seen quite a few times arriving there in a distinctive hat and edwardian dress.

Other than that I don't know of any established ghost stories relating to the tube.

Liverpool Street Mainline Station was said to be built over a plague pit.

No no no! lol!
Youdon't treat a virus with antibiotics! It was a bacterial infection. Bacteria can lay dormant. Therefore there is truth in the story. No cannibal children or ote. :lol:

spillage said:
No no no! lol!
Youdon't treat a virus with antibiotics! It was a bacterial infection. Bacteria can lay dormant. Therefore there is truth in the story. No cannibal children or ote. :lol:

Awww. Disappointing.... :D

Interesting about the Kings Cross stories. I'm from Leeds, but for some time now have been seeing a girl who lives in London, so as you might imagine I end up passing through Kings Cross quite a lot. (For overseas readers, it's the main station into which trains from Leeds to London arrive - and of course vice versa on departure).

I've also experienced feelings of growing panic on those escalators up to the ticket hall where so many people died in the fire disaster, and in fact only a few weeks ago I had a very vivid dream of being in the ticket hall with my girlfriend, and having an experience very much like that of the chap earlier on this thread. NB this was well before I read this thread! What I remember most vividly from that dream was the screaming which seemed to be coming out of the walls themselves. Euggh. *shudder*

I'm quite prepared to accept that the KX fire was one of those things that made a big scary impression on me in childhood (I'm now 29 so would have been fairly young when it happened) and so I have that association with the place, but interesting that so many people have said the same sorts of things on here.

Out of interest, are other posters with similar feelings about KX of a similar age to me?

I'm going to sound extrtemely naive but....I've been to King's Cross a couple of times from Leeds, (Aye, I live near Leeds too...) and I didn't experience anything unusual for the arid, claustraphobic, busy tubestation. This is the crap bit.....I didn't realise it was the scene of the tragic fire! It just didn't register.
I felt crap afterwards not realising. If I had have done, I'd have spent more time there feeling sad and sympathetic/empathetic.

I went through Kings Cross tube station a week or so after they'd reopened it post-fire. What I noticed most (as did my companion) was despite being very busy, there was utter silence on the platforms, in the booking hall.. no clamour, just the tannoy announcements and the trains. It was eerie, and definitely tangible. Something of that scale has to leave a mark, somehow, I guess.

uncomfortable

I always found Kings Cross an extremely awkward, uncomfortable feeling place to be, never had that at any other tube station ... lived in London for five years, never occured to me it was because of the fire.

I don't think it's necessarily _anything_ to do with the fire, to be honest. There are lots of other factors which make King's X an uneasy place to visit. Firstly, it's one of the busiest stations on the central Underground and as a result always filled with people milling around. Like Tottenham Court Road, much of it is constructed in tunnels and walkways which can be very confusing to navigate - particularly as the signs telling you where you need to go are located always just out of the line of peripheral vision and you really have to hunt for them - and most of it appears to be constantly under redevelopment. As well as being the location of the British Library and two of the most famous stations in London, King's X is a real dive - the concourse outside the tube station is frequently choked with prostitutes and violent undesirables who do little other than mill around trying to sell people travelcards - and let's not forget that it's also the place where large numbers of people who've been on boozy days out in London congregate before getting back on the train. A gang of pissed-up casuals in town for the football can make anyone feel intimidated. There is inevitably a heavy police presence, particularly following last year's tragedy, and even if you're not scared of the police you think to yourself "what are they doing here?". The tube station is also horribly lit and swamped with gaudiness and grime.

Since it's a major junction and point of arrival, the overwhelmingly large proportion of the people you'll pass won't have much of a clue how to speak English as they're not from England, which you could also say about a number of other focal points in the city, which to an outsider is really confusing (I remember when I first moved here and worked on Piccadilly, going out for a sandwich was a confusing experience as you're surrounded by this kind of Babel of languages, dialects and accents) and lends to a kind of fracture of the senses of sight/hearing. The fact that when you're abroad in a country you don't know the language of you tend to keep your head down and press on, lends to the air of people not wanting anything to do with each other. Many people who go through the tube station are laden-down and stressed after a day travelling and, London being London, nothing works properly, the tube barriers are too small, everything smells and the station is too hot or too cold compared to outside, leading to you either shivering or sweating as you're fumbling in your pockets for the vast amounts of cash needed to get on the Tube.

I don't think that there's any residual marker left from the tragedy in the eighties but I do think that everything about the design and management of the place grinds away at the consciousness leading to a palpable air of annoyance, menace, ennui, discomfort and anger.

We lived in London when I was younger(I was born in Enfield and we moved when I was 13) I remember the Kings X fire not just on the news but my best friend at the time came into school the next day very shaken up. (We were only about 8 or 9 at the time). Her mum had been in Kings X literally minutes before the fire - I can't remember the details but I think she had just left the station when the fire broke out. I think she must not have got home at her usual time - possible delayed by the events or something else and my friend had heard about the fire on the news and was frantic until her mum came home.

My dad and I went through the station weeks later - we should have got off at it but it was still closed (Hmm so maybe it wasn't weeks later - maybe it was days?) I remember the train went through the platform and it was black and burnt. It was eerie and wierd but I didn't pick anything up from it.

I read a fantastic short story about the LU. A woman is at a party, goes to get a tube home and ends up on a tube with some wierd looking people. They all look ill, and one man becomesd quite aggressive towards her, telling her she shouldn't be on the train. The tube takes a different route from the one she expected it to and then she gets dumped at a weird station (Details are now hazy). She tells a co-worker about her experience the next day and next thing you know, she's sacked. She finds out that the route the tube took was a plague route - something about years ago plague victims were taken out of London, or across London on this route. It turns out that the modern day government, not knowing whast to do with the large levels of immigrants with TB have opted to ship them out via a secret tube route.

I haven't described it properly but it was a great story. I'm going to try and find it tonight and re-read it.

I was at King's Cross a couple of weeks ago and they have some very elaborate plans to completely redevelop it, which should remove a lot of the discomfort mentioned above.
I wouldn't want to be one of those doing the redevelopment work, mind! :shock:

I should also add that I go there a couple of times a year and never felt any more unease than at any other station, though I had completely forgotten about the fire until I read this thread, so never made the link.

Slejpner1 said:
I was at King's Cross a couple of weeks ago and they have some very elaborate plans to completely redevelop it, which should remove a lot of the discomfort mentioned above.
I wouldn't want to be one of those doing the redevelopment work, mind! :shock:

I should also add that I go there a couple of times a year and never felt any more unease than at any other station, though I had completely forgotten about the fire until I read this thread, so never made the link.

I lived in London for 6 years and I must admit that kings X always gave me the creeps. Actually all of the Northern Line gave me the creeps. Slowly passing through Mornington Crsnt station each day when it was closed was always a slightly spooky experience which did not improve when they opened it. Camden Town any time day or night and Chalk Farm for that matter as well. Must be something with Northern line pedestrian tunnels or something, I don't get the creeps in any other lines in the Tube. Just the Northern line. Well it is the black line and it was called the Misery Line for some time. Good reason perhaps

Does anyone else feel this way about the NL ?

fishersghost said:
I lived in London for 6 years and I must admit that kings X always gave me the creeps. Actually all of the Northern Line gave me the creeps. Slowly passing through Mornington Crsnt station each day when it was closed was always a slightly spooky experience which did not improve when they opened it. Camden Town any time day or night and Chalk Farm for that matter as well. Must be something with Northern line pedestrian tunnels or something, I don't get the creeps in any other lines in the Tube. Just the Northern line. Well it is the black line and it was called the Misery Line for some time. Good reason perhaps

I live opposite Camden Town tube station and get the tube to and from work. I always feel a bit strange and claustrophobic in Camden Town Station especially at the weekends when they close the esculator and you have to walk down the spiral staircase and end up in a little maze trying to find the right platform. I always put this weirdness down to it being early morning and me being half asleep still or stressed out and tired at the end of the day.

Occasionally I get woken up by the building rumbling in the night which i assume is something to do with the underground but I live on the third floor so there must be something pretty big happening for me to feel it.

fishersghost said:
...I don't get the creeps in any other lines in the Tube. Just the Northern line. Well it is the black line and it was called the Misery Line for some time. Good reason perhaps

Peter Ackroyd’s description of the character of different lines (in London - The Biography) has always stuck in my mind, mainly because I can’t find fault with it.

“… the thoroughfares of the Underground have their own particular associations and connections. The Northern Line is intense and somehow desperate; the Central Line is energetic, while the Circle is adventurous and breezy. The Bakerloo Line, however is flat and despairing.”

When I’m working in London now the Central Line is my regular service whereas I used to be a prisoner of the Northern Line. Ackroyd’s description echoes my own experience. The Central Line has a bit of life to it - even when its buggered you feel like you might actually be going to get somewhere at the end of the journey. The Northern Line always felt like the overspill from limbo to me - I could never shake the horrible suspicion that nowhere worth going to could possibly be associated with passage through its gloomy entrails.

I have to admit I don't notice much of an "atmosphere" at Kings Cross but I lived in Bethnal Green for a while and the Tube station there (with its own personal disaster story of course) did give me the shivers on a couple of occasions.

Where I live now I can hear the Northern Line trains rumble. I pity the beggar who lives in the basement flat below me.
:shock:

Stormkhan said:
Where I live now I can hear the Northern Line trains rumble. I pity the beggar who lives in the basement flat below me.
:shock:

Maybe...maybe it's not the trains...maybe it's him :shock: :shock:

(Cue Tom Waits - "What's he building in there?")

The Northern Line is intense and somehow desperate
Not my experience, back in the 60s.

Mind you, I was courting a nurse at a hospital on that line at the time! :D

The Northern and Piccadilly have distinctive smells, too. I live in the East End, so I don't take the Northern or Picco lines very often, so I always notice the smell when I do. Takes me right back to when I first moved to London 13 years ago.

In an article in the Guardian a year or so back the Central Line was described as 'dreamy'!

I agree that the tube lines certainly do have different personalities. The District line always has an air of depression about it. Like sitting in a rusty Austin Montego.

Back