• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Or the STTNG episode "Second Chances" where the transporter creates two Rikers - both equally arrogant.
I can see why Deanna ditched both of them, then married one of them, while the other ran off with the Maquis....

Last edited:
ran off with the Marquis....
???????????????
1666523116129.png

Also there was an episode (I think in Voyager) in which the transporter is used to recombine the two versions of a crew member (created by an alien for nefarious purposes) using patterns previously stored.
I think.
Was it B'ellana Torres?????
Your right it was an early episode of voyager when B'ellana was split into a Klingon and human by the Vidian's.

I once met Walter Koenig at a convention and - going against the trend - asked him about his role in Babylon 5; I was more of a fan of that than Trek.
He was delighted and spent a short while saying how much he loved the role of Bester as he could really indulge in playing a really nasty guy rather than a Star Trek ideal officer.

(...) Enter Greg Hodgin, Ph.D., a chemical engineer and political scientist who has started his own company, ZC Inc., with the primary goal of building a warp-capable spaceship within his lifetime.
Dr. Hodgin recently sat down with The Debrief to discuss his lofty goals and the evolving roadmap he has laid out to achieve them. And unlike the handful of theorists who have preceded him in this nascent field, Hodgin believes he has the right people and the right plan to make warp drive spacecraft a physical reality.

https://thedebrief.org/star-trek-is...sts-to-build-a-working-warp-drive-spacecraft/

I once met Walter Koenig at a convention and - going against the trend - asked him about his role in Babylon 5; I was more of a fan of that than Trek.
He was delighted and spent a short while saying how much he loved the role of Bester as he could really indulge in playing a really nasty guy rather than a Star Trek ideal officer.
He's a lovely bloke.

I met him at a B5 convention in Blackpool back in the 90s. It was the one where they managed go get all of the main cast to attend along with some surprise guests as well (Michael O'Hare). Walter did an incredibly creepy reading of The Rats in the Walls which went down a storm and inspired me to go out and read some H.P. Lovecraft.

There were a handful of Star Trek veterans at the con as well, Rene Oberjonois being the standout. Man that bloke could bring an anecdote to life; I could have sat and listened to him for hours.

This may have been the convention that a cleaner threw away some scripts that JMS was working on!!! I remember him not being in that great a mood when he was doing signings.

Last edited:
Watched Picard S03E01 last night. A very good start so far. It had a feel of the movie First Contact. It had just the right amount of nostalgia for me, whilst still taking the story forward. I get the impression that they are trying to fix the bitter taste that Nemesis left behind and are going to give the Next Generation crew the send off they deserved. Riker and Picard's friendship shines in this first episode as they go off on a new adventure with a spark in their eyes.

The visual effects are stunning. Big budget movie level. It explains the long wait to get to screen after season 2.

I have no idea how some of the scenes we saw in the trailer are going to fit into this storyline though.

The end-credits are something to behold, with loads of Easter eggs. Definitely one for the pause button. We also get mash up of the First Contact and Next Generation theme tunes to play out the end-credits.

I'll be waiting for next Thursday with baited breath...

Watched Picard S03E01 last night. A very good start so far. It had a feel of the movie First Contact. It had just the right amount of nostalgia for me, whilst still taking the story forward. I get the impression that they are trying to fix the bitter taste that Nemesis left behind and are going to give the Next Generation crew the send off they deserved. Riker and Picard's friendship shines in this first episode as they go off on a new adventure with a spark in their eyes.

The visual effects are stunning. Big budget movie level. It explains the long wait to get to screen after season 2.

I have no idea how some of the scenes we saw in the trailer are going to fit into this storyline though.

The end-credits are something to behold, with loads of Easter eggs. Definitely one for the pause button. We also get mash up of the First Contact and Next Generation theme tunes to play out the end-credits.

I'll be waiting for next Thursday with baited breath...

Excellent wasn't it?
After the complete shambles of Discovery and the slightly more hit than miss of Strange New Worlds, this feels like a real return to classic form for the ST universe. I think I even had a nostalgic tear in my eye at Jean-Luc's wistful smile when 7 of 9 issued the command "Engage".
Great stuff and my breath is also bated (if not baited).

Cracking 2nd episode of Picard series 3.
Great to see Worf once again, even if he does need a drop of Grecian 2000.
But what a cruel cliffhanger to leave us dangling on!
Can't wait for next week!

Ah, but the first season at least shared nothing of the Next Gen vibe apart from a couple of character names. Sure, Stewart is getting on - as would Picard be - but it treated the character pretty badly.

Ah, but the first season at least shared nothing of the Next Gen vibe apart from a couple of character names. Sure, Stewart is getting on - as would Picard be - but it treated the character pretty badly.
Nothing wrong with a meditation on ageing - indeed Stewart himself was heart-rending in Logan as Prof X felled by dementia - but we were all expecting Picard to still be recognisably Star Trek. Star Trek the brand when working correctly has a lightness of touch that enables it to carry darker themes. When it starts getting pompous - or worse, earnest - it loses that, which is what's wrong with half of the movies, some of Voyager and most of Enterprise.

Happy to say that I found Picard S2 much better, and if ep1 is anything to go by S3 will be better still.

The odd part here is that allegedly that's what Patrick Stewart wanted... and... I don't get why that would be. :/

Well, it has been over 30 years, and the plot twist is almost obvious, but in case you don't want the TNG episode Darmok spoiled, I'll hide the rest of this post.

In the episode, the Enterprise meets up with a race known as The Children of Tama. Their language is complex; the words are understandable but sentences are virtually impossible to parse. For example, one character repeats the line "Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra." It turns out that the Tamarians speak in metaphor, with almost everything they say referencing some aspect of their mythology or culture.

I liked the story, but always thought the premise of communicating concrete ideas through metaphor was not viable in the real world. But this morning, as I was explaining to my wife how I was having problems getting work done in the office because of a constant flow of emails demanding my attention, I simply stated an analogy: "Lucy and Ethel at the chocolate factory."

I guess I'm more Tamarian than I thought.

Back