• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Call it dated or cheesy, but in my mind 'Star Trek' will always be TOS, and no other incarnation of the series ( including the feature films ) will ever hold a candle to the green-skinned space skanks, entirely dispensible red-shirts, and sparkly, styrofoam boulders. Perhaps, for the franchise, it IS time to call it a day. Mission accomplished. Time to put the various enterprise(s) in drydock, once and for all.

The fans are hitting back. Well the best of british to them. IMO Star Trek is getting stale, it would be interesting to see what would happen if a series really did come about that was funded by the fans!

Star Trek fans fight to save show

Star Trek fans have taken out a full-page ad in the Los Angeles Times in an attempt to persuade TV executives not to scrap Star Trek: Enterprise.
Made by the UPN TV network, the latest spin-off from the hit sci-fi show is due to end in May after four series.

But fans around the world have pitched in to pay for the advert, which had the headline "Save Star Trek".

They are also asking the Sci-Fi Channel to pick it up from UPN and will stage a rally in Los Angeles on 25 February.

The advert described the Star Trek franchise as a "cultural icon".

Enterprise stars former Quantum Leap actor Scott Bakula as Captain Archer and is set before the original 1960s Star Trek series.

"Captain Archer and the crew of the NX-01 need your help to continue their journeys!" the advert said.

It also included a cut-out coupon for fans to send to UPN's parent companies Paramount and Viacom plus the Sci-Fi Channel. It also urged supporters to join the rally outside the Paramount studios.

Fan website Trek United is hoping to raise $32m (£17m) from donations by the end of March to pay for a fifth series. More than $23,000 (£12,000) has been pledged so far, according to the site.

The 98th and final episode of Star Trek: Enterprise will air in the US on 13 May.

The fourth series has averaged 2.9 million viewers per episode - half the amount it got in its first series.

Star Trek: Enterprise began in 2001 following other Star Trek spin-off series The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine and Voyager.

Source

Cheers

Floyd

Fan website Trek United is hoping to raise $32m (£17m) from donations by the end of March to pay for a fifth series. More than $23,000 (£12,000) has been pledged so far, according to the site.

That about sums it up. Need £17m got 12 grand.

No chance of success, i fear, unless the 'axing' was a publicity stunt to increase viewing figures.

ignatius said:
Call it dated or cheesy, but in my mind 'Star Trek' will always be TOS, and no other incarnation of the series ( including the feature films ) will ever hold a candle to the green-skinned space skanks, entirely dispensible red-shirts, and sparkly, styrofoam boulders. Perhaps, for the franchise, it IS time to call it a day. Mission accomplished. Time to put the various enterprise(s) in drydock, once and for all.

Star Trek wasn't always TOS, just the later stuff .... Oh I see what you mean ;)

Well it looks like this thread is nearly dead and buried like the Enterprise seris (last episode Aug 2nd) but i just wanted to say that despite the fact that overall this incarnation of Star Trek has been poor enough there was a cracking double episode over the last two weeks (sky 1) focusing on the enterprise in a different dimension in which the federation is in fact a terran empire and the humans have enslaved everone (andorans, vulcans, denobians etc etc. ). This little break from the normal enterprise is right up there with the best of any of the other seris and begs the question why didn't they do a complete seris of this alternative universe, in which we are the bad guys, anyone else see it?

Star Wreck: In The Pirkinning

A poster on another Forum posted this link. A Finnish Fan-spoof movie, free to download. The full movie needs the Xvid codec to watch and broadband to download.

It's hard to believe that it's an amateur effort. Much better than Enterprise.

Go for the version with English subtitles. ;)

http://www-fi2.starwreck.com/

Download trailer: http://www-fi2.starwreck.com/download_trailer.php

Trek builder boldly goes bankrupt

A Leicestershire Star Trek fan who got into debt making his home look like the Starship Enterprise has gone bankrupt. Tony Alleyne, 52, spent nine years and £30,000 transforming his flat and used another £100,000 to launch a company which offered similar makeovers.

But the schemes were funded by loans and credit cards and he has filed for bankruptcy with debts of £166,000. The former DJ hopes to get out of the red by selling the exclusive residence for up to £800,000.

New version

He said: "I did not set out with the intention of selling it, I enjoy science fiction interiors. I set up a business, it did not work and I tried to finance it with credit cards, which was daft really."

Mr Alleyne, who is separated from his wife, said he recently filed for bankruptcy at Coventry County Court. "I was advised that was the only way to go," he said.

When Mr Alleyne failed to sell the original version of his Starship Enterprise home for £700,000, 18 months ago, he gutted it. He is now refitting the flat as the spaceship from the later Star Trek series, Voyager, using income support payments.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/e ... 695188.stm

Published: 2006/02/08 21:23:28 GMT

I don't know if that story is the saddest or funniest thing i've read today.

But none of this settles who is harder KirK or Pickard ?

crunchy5 said:
But none of this settles who is harder KirK or Pickard ?

Obviously Kirk. Look at the number of fights he got into, practically one every episode, even in the one where they had to NOT fight to escape the gunfighters. And he always won.

And when Picard needed someone to hand out an ass-whupping to Malcolm McDowall in Generations, who did he go to?

Always Kirk. Piccard was also into combat, but more into using his brains than his fists (remember "First Contact", Patrick Stewart was in great shape for a 60 year old man), being also colder than Kirk. Kirk was more passionate and concerned about life than Piccard. Besides, he had more hair (or at least a rug).

Surely the three saddest sights in the Star Trek films are Scotty bumping his head in Star Trek 5, Picard singing in Insurrection, and the bloated Kirk waddling up to a rather fit-looking Malcolm McDowell in Generations. Frankly, Kirk looks like he'd be hard-pressed to beat up a Tribble.

Anyone see Enterprise on Channel 4 today? It was the second part Mirror universe episode where the crew of the Enterprise are all devious. Why couldn't it be like this all the time? If they'd taken a few more chances and had a bit of fun instead of pandering to the obsessive fans it might not have been the gigantic bore it was for most of its run. A pity they had to use a parallel universe excuse to do it, though.

Anyone see Enterprise on Channel 4 today? It was the second part Mirror universe episode where the crew of the Enterprise are all devious. Why couldn't it be like this all the time?

It looks like you and me are the only ones to see these episodes gncxx, i had a post here about the same episodes back in July and got no reply.

Well it looks like this thread is nearly dead and buried like the Enterprise seris (last episode Aug 2nd) but i just wanted to say that despite the fact that overall this incarnation of Star Trek has been poor enough there was a cracking double episode over the last two weeks (sky 1) focusing on the enterprise in a different dimension in which the federation is in fact a terran empire and the humans have enslaved everone (andorans, vulcans, denobians etc etc. ). This little break from the normal enterprise is right up there with the best of any of the other seris and begs the question why didn't they do a complete seris of this alternative universe, in which we are the bad guys, anyone else see it?

And your right they should do a whole new star trek based on this mirror universe it was done much better that the DS9 mirror universe episodes.

feen5 said:
Anyone see Enterprise on Channel 4 today? It was the second part Mirror universe episode where the crew of the Enterprise are all devious. Why couldn't it be like this all the time?
Well it looks like this thread is nearly dead and buried like the Enterprise seris (last episode Aug 2nd) but i just wanted to say...there was a cracking double episode over the last two weeks (sky 1) focusing on the enterprise in a different dimension. This little break from the normal enterprise is right up there with the best of any of the other seris and begs the question why didn't they do a complete seris of this alternative universe, in which we are the bad guys, anyone else see it?
And you're right they should do a whole new star trek based on this mirror universe it was done much better that the DS9 mirror universe episodes.
Which series of DS9 was this? Although never a huge fan of DS9, I'm a sucker for this kind of alternate reality stuff (not that I'm mistaking Star Trek for reality, you understand - I'm not that far gone!), and was disappointed that I only caught a small snatch of the Enterprise episode. Never mind, I'll get Inferno (the alt-universe Dr Who story) ordered on DVD and console myself with that!

Sorry Peripart i'm not sure which series it was i can only tell you that the DS9 mirror universe was used in two seperate series, in the first one an accident (isn't there always an accident) sent some of the DS9 crew into an alternate reality where the Klingons were the enemy and ODO and Keira were evil, they controlled DS9. Humans were only slaves in this realuty. In a latter series some of the DS crew actually purposely went to this reality in order to carry out some mission (can't remember exactly what as it was so long since i have seen it).
If you can get your hands on the Enterprise double episode do because its well worth it. It involves the enterprise crew stealing a ship from the future that accidently ended up in their universe, but the ship just happens to be what we would consider the enterprise from the original star trek series (Kirk, Spock etc etc). They have all the old uniforms (including the racy female crew member uniforms with the short dresses hubba hubba :D ) and an especially good touch is the sounds that the old phasers used to make when they fired.

The Enterprise Dark Mirror episodes were good, but so many parts of it were just like the amazingly excellent spoof "Star Wreck - in the Pirkinning" that I am suspicious that enterprise writers casually ripped off parts of it.(or is at a case of the real thing paying homage to the spoof? ;) )

Download here for comparison! 500megs http://www-fi3.starwreck.com/

Peripart said:
Which series of DS9 was this?

The episodes were:

"Crossover" episode #43 (223)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossover_ ... episode%29

"Through the Looking Glass" episode #66 (319)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Through_th ... episode%29

"Shattered Mirror" (420)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shattered_ ... episode%29

"Ressurection" (608)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resurrecti ... episode%29

"The Emperor's New Cloak" (712)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Empero ... episode%29

They even have a page on the Star Trek Mirror Universe which has been visited in a number of the Star Trek shows:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirror_Uni ... ar_Trek%29

See also (although I can't seem to get this to work at the moment):
http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Mirror_Universe

It wouldn't suprise me if, when they have released everything on DVD and are wodnering how to repackage things - see for example the recent Buffy and Angel DVD releases) that a Mirror Universe DVD might get released.

feen5 said:
Sorry Peripart i'm not sure which series it was i can only tell you that the DS9 mirror universe was used in two seperate series, in the first one an accident (isn't there always an accident) sent some of the DS9 crew into an alternate reality where the Klingons were the enemy and ODO and Keira were evil, they controlled DS9. Humans were only slaves in this realuty. In a latter series some of the DS crew actually purposely went to this reality in order to carry out some mission (can't remember exactly what as it was so long since i have seen it).
If you can get your hands on the Enterprise double episode do because its well worth it. It involves the enterprise crew stealing a ship from the future that accidently ended up in their universe, but the ship just happens to be what we would consider the enterprise from the original star trek series (Kirk, Spock etc etc). They have all the old uniforms (including the racy female crew member uniforms with the short dresses hubba hubba :D ) and an especially good touch is the sounds that the old phasers used to make when they fired.

My only disappointments about it were that Hoshi didn't get to wear the 60s minidress and that T'Pol didn't have a goatee. Other than that, it was a glimpse into a parallel universe where Enterprise was worth watching and not just a time passer.

Mighty_Emperor said:
It wouldn't suprise me if, when they have released everything on DVD and are wodnering how to repackage things - see for example the recent Buffy and Angel DVD releases) that a Mirror Universe DVD might get released.

And it looks like this might be more likely. They have started releasing boxsets of Star Trek episodes on themes. The first one is time travel:

www.twitchfilm.net/archives/005815.html

www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000CSU ... enantmc-20

Looking on Amazon they have:

Borg:
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000CCB ... enantmc-20
www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000C ... ntmagaz-21
www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000C ... ntmagaz-21

Q:
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000ERV ... enantmc-20

Klingon:
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000FEB ... enantmc-20

Only R1 at the moment.

I've just read on www.imdb.com that Lost creator J.J. Abrams is planning a new Star Trek movie about how Kirk and Spock met in Starfleet Academy and their first mission together. Somebody other than the Shatner and the Nimoy playing Kirk and Spock?! What is this, Star Trek Babies?!

sounds ghastly. star trek 90210? Star Rats?
'Gee spock..you're like so totally square'

Wonder what the moral will be each week....hey kids...people from different planets can be friends as well (heavy nudge nudge).

You've got me thinking now. How about Star Trek: Revenge of the Nerds? Or is that the same thing all over again?

grrr....star trek loyalty clashing with life that allows friends....cannot compute....

The original series is great. But then I'm a fan of the Twilight Zone and all shows with a sixties bent to them so it fits right in there. Never had much time for anything that followed there after like Next Gen or Deep Space Nine. I have season 1 on DVD and a lot of nostalgic fun it is too. but, beyond that, it lost its flavour in my opinion.

gncxx said:
I've just read on www.imdb.com that Lost creator J.J. Abrams is planning a new Star Trek movie about how Kirk and Spock met in Starfleet Academy and their first mission together. Somebody other than the Shatner and the Nimoy playing Kirk and Spock?! What is this, Star Trek Babies?!
Forget that, the real problem is that they didn't meet at the Academy. They met when Kirk was assigned to the Enterprise as its captain to replace Captain Pike. This is covered in numerous canon sources.

Why yes, I am a geek. What of it?

gncxx said:

I believe Rick Berman has been slightly obsessed with the naff concept of Starfleet Academy for years. According to William Shatner's Star Trek Movie Memories (umm, which I read in a purely ironic way, of course) Berman originally intended Star Trek VI to be about the young Kirk and Spock meeting at Starfleet Academy, with Shatner and Nimoy making only cameo appearances at the beginning and end of the film.

The idea was dropped after the new head of Paramount explained to Berman just how shite it was, and Nicholas Meyer was drafted in at the last minute to write The Undiscovered Country.

I hope its good but something says it could be shite.

Back