Strange Crimes

Min Bannister

Justified & Ancient
Joined
Sep 5, 2003
Messages
3,895
Likes
4,048
Points
184
Some more boring old context. Over 90% of murderers are male.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/feb/08/killing-of-women-by-men-record-database-femicide

Official figures show that, between 2002 and 2012, 6.1% of adults who were convicted of murder were women, leaving 93.9% men.
“People are falling for the line that women can be violent too,” she said. “Men kill men, obviously. But nearly always when a woman kills a man, the woman herself has been a victim of his violence or abuse. When men kill women they tend to have been perpetrators of violence against that woman and other women for years.
 

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Joined
Aug 25, 2001
Messages
28,744
Likes
14,143
Points
284
I'm pretty sure that she did not say it in jest. I think her comment was made when referring to domestic violence. Though I have nothing to link my assumption to.
If it was a "joke", then the old adage "Many a true word spoken in jest" applies. Mind you, I have read that she didn't say it at all, and it was attributed to her.
 

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Joined
Sep 18, 2001
Messages
37,883
Likes
25,499
Points
309
Location
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Joined
Aug 19, 2003
Messages
49,448
Likes
22,061
Points
284
Location
Eblana
An appalling case, it looks as if the workers were just abandoned to die. Those arrested hadn't informed the police about them.

An illegal cigarette factory has been uncovered in Spain where six foreign workers were found gasping for air before being rescued, authorities said.

Twelve British nationals suspected of running the factory were arrested.

The bunker under horse stables in the southern province of Malaga could produce up to 3,500 counterfeit cigarettes an hour. It is the first underground counterfeit cigarette factory found in the EU, Europol and Spanish police said. Six Ukrainian and Lithuanian workers were found struggling to breathe due to a generator designed to pump air into the bunker running out of gas, police said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51577694

More info:

An escaped British prisoner has been arrested by Spanish police raiding an underground counterfeit cigarette factory.

Daniel Dobbs was convicted of drug trafficking in 2014 and serving a 13-and-a-half year sentence when he fled.

He absconded from HMP Hatfield Lakes, a category D open prison in South Yorkshire, in November 2018.

The National Crime Agency (NCA) tracked him down to Malaga, where the 31-year-old was living under a false name.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-51580378
 
Top