• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Deaths

I have been told that you can go around all the way in a paternoster lift. The cabin will shrink and it may be uncomfortable but you will not be crushed.
I saw one in the Duisburg city hall. They were quite proud of it.

Never heard of them. If they don't stop, what happens if someone is a bit late in getting in?

Nah, I'm sure the operators of said devices have managed to avoid being prosecuted by putting up signs that say something like "At your own risk".
So if you only got your leg in, but dithered about (as someone surely would) the lift would just take it off?

The 'paternoster' lift system is a continually moving device - you have to jump in at the right moment, with that moment of anxiety, much like stepping onto an escalator.
That's exactly what I was thinking - escalators, an acquired skill. As a kid, I would only see them at Xmas when we went to a huge department store to view Xmas window displays, and I hesitated every time.

When I moved to Toronto, the subways have them. I can now walk on and off with no hesitation. Just don't look down when stepping on or off. That throws your timing.

Those paternoster things look horrendous and I would never use one. Up in the air with nothing in front of you? Suicide.

FEBRUARY 13, 1739

We have Advice from Lunenberg, that on the first Instant, a very melancholy Accident happened there. A number of Men in trying a new Gun by firing at a Mark against the side of a Barn, one of the Bullets struck upon some piece of Iron and split it (the Bullet) in two, one piece of which flew to a considerable Distance from the Barn, and upon a contrary line to its natural course, and struck one Dr. Rice (who was travelling the Road) in the Forehead or Temple, which wounded him to such a Degree, that he died about Nine o’Clock that Night. That piece of the Bullet that struck Dr. Rice was found in his Hat, the other piece (which flew quite a contrary way) fell down by the Rev. Mr. Stern’s Door, where some Persons were standing but did no Hurt. However, Mr. Sterns sent the piece to the Men who were firing, with a desire that they would take more Care for the future.

From this strange, almost Fortean, book:
Melancholy Accidents: Three Centuries of Stray Bullets and Bad Luck
Peter Manseau

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show...s?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=DxE16wAiUd&rank=1

I see the BBC has corrected their report. When I saw it earlier the aircraft was described as a G-BORL! It's been changed to a Piper PA28-161.

Wonder if the aircraft will be haunted I know someone that
flys from there and likely that aircraft will keep ears open.
:thought:

Wonder if the aircraft will be haunted I know someone that
flys from there and likely that aircraft will keep ears open.
:thought:
When I spot that plane I'll be wondering. :nods:

Reactions: RaM
Here ya go - a brief video of someone going over the top in a Paternoster in Prague.
Don't have nightmares!

what a great video :twothumbs:

I didn't realise the design was so old, or that the throughput difference was so great. Will I go in one again? NO!!!!!!!!!

I think my dislike is more... visceral than reasoned :)

what a great video :twothumbs:

I didn't realise the design was so old, or that the throughput difference was so great. Will I go in one again? NO!!!!!!!!!

I think my dislike is more... visceral than reasoned :)
We were watching Six Feet Under last night, where there is a lift accident. :omg:

Not a Paternoster type, just a regular lethally malfunctioning American elevator.
A different type of trauma altogether. You'd think the possibility of just the one variety was enough.

We were watching Six Feet Under last night, where there is a lift accident. :omg:

Not a Paternoster type, just a regular lethally malfunctioning American elevator.
A different type of trauma altogether. You'd think the possibility of just the one variety was enough.

nooooooooooooooo! :freak:

New Jersey woman fighting eviction blows herself up in house full of cats

A New Jersey woman’s fight against eviction ended in a deadly blaze Wednesday when she intentionally started a fire in the home she shared with dozens of cats and refused to vacate.

NYPICHPDPICT000007531286.jpg

The woman and dozens of cats died in the massive fire, which broke out shortly after 11 a.m. in Roosevelt, authorities said.

State police had served the unidentified woman an eviction notice but she refused to leave and threatened to blow up the house.

“We’re getting reports that the resident turned on the gas of the residence prior to igniting,” New Jersey State Police Lt. Lawrence Peele said

Roosevelt Mayor Peggy Malkin [said] that the woman was a pet-sitter and had built a “cat house” for the animals to live in separately. It’s unclear how many cats perished in the flames.

https://nypost.com/2023/03/02/new-jersey-woman-blows-herself-up-in-house-full-of-cats/

maximus otter

Money, mania and LSD: A rich Malibu doctor’s tragic final weeks under yoga gurus’ sway

On Mother’s Day in 2018, Dr. Mark Sawusch tried LSD for the first time.

Standing on the sand in front of his Malibu beach house, he began his trip by joining hands with a pair of yoga gurus who had become his friends and caretakers in the final year of his troubled life. Soon after, a whale breached the ocean’s surface just 50 feet from the shore.

The gurus said Sawusch had researched and planned the experience for months, hoping it would provide some psychic solace and free him from his inner turmoil following years of struggling with bipolar disorder. Instead, it would trigger a terrifying downward spiral that would end with the doctor’s death at the age of 57, just two weeks later.

The details of Sawusch’s tragic final weeks were detailed in deposition testimony given in 2019 by the gurus, Anthony Flores and Anna Moore, as part of a civil suit brought by the doctor’s family who accused them of stealing millions from him as his mental state unraveled.

Earlier this year, federal prosecutors in Los Angeles charged the pair with allegedly being grifters who fed the doctor a steady stream of drugs to keep him discombobulated while they quietly transferred money from Sawusch, who had a personal fortune of some $60 million.

To help with Sawusch’s legal, medical and financial affairs, Flores and Moore hired several assistants. They also kept a staff of masseurs on standby to help the doctor relax, testifying that he sometimes received up to 10 hours of massages a day.
Flores and Moore have argued that everything was done at Sawusch’s direction, including taking drugs like LSD, marijuana and ketamine, an animal tranquilizer and club drug that has also been experimented with to treat severe depression. Both Flores and Moore have pleaded not guilty to the criminal charges federal prosecutors have made against them.

When Flores and Moore moved into Sawusch’s Malibu beach house, they described Sawusch as clearly being in need of help, expressing suicidal thoughts and heavily abusing alcohol, which exacerbated his mental health struggles. They said he spent many days walking around his house wearing an open robe with nothing underneath and talking to two seagulls who would often visit. He named the birds George and Madam George.

Two years earlier, Sawusch had been a highly successful eye surgeon with a practice in Pacific Palisades. Prosecutors say he also was a skilled investor and amassed a large fortune through shrewd and timely trading.

But then a short-lived marriage fell apart, and in 2016, Sawusch suffered serious burns to his hands when he touched a wire inside an electric piano in his home. The accident left him unable to continue getting malpractice insurance, derailing his career.

No one knows how much LSD Sawusch took in those final two weeks. Flores said the doctor kept hold of the vial and he couldn’t be sure if he had been dosing himself. When asked if he thought it was a good idea for someone with Sawusch’s mental health issues to be taking psychedelic drugs, Flores said he just was following the doctor’s orders.

For much of the day, Sawusch aggressively paced around the living room, talking to himself and the seagulls, George and Madam George, while looking out the window using binoculars he slammed into his face so hard it left bruising around his eyes.

Then he began drinking bottles and bottles of what appeared to be water and kombucha so excessively that it caused him to begin throwing up. He then started standing up and sitting down on the sofa over and over again.

Eventually, he sat down on the sofa and never got up again.

After an investigation by the Los Angeles County Medical Examiner’s office, Sawusch was determined to have died of a toxic mix of ketamine and alcohol. The death was deemed accidental.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/m...ic-final-weeks-under-yoga-gurus-sway-70a85907

maximus otter

Alec Baldwin Sues To 'Clear His Name' In 'Rust' Movie Set Killing

Saying he wants to clear his name, Alec Baldwin on Friday sued people involved in handling and supplying the loaded gun that he was using when it fired, killing cinematographer Halyna Hutchins during a 2021 filming accident in New Mexico.

Baldwin filed a cross-complaint in Superior Court in Los Angeles alleging negligence against some of the people sued by a script supervisor, Mamie Mitchell. Among other things, it seeks a share of any damages that Mitchell may win from the people Baldwin names and asks that they pay for any damages assessed against him.

Baldwin’s lawsuit alleges negligence by armorer Hannah Guttierez-Reed; prop master Sarah Zachry; first assistant director and safety coordinator David Halls, who handed Baldwin the gun; ammunition supplier Seth Kenney and his company, PDQ Arm & Prop, which also supplied prop weapons for the production.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/alec-baldwin-lawsuit-rust_n_636f450ce4b002e88211f104

maximus otter

Prosecutors: Gun in "Rust" shooting broke during testing, and "destroyed"

"Prosecutors in New Mexico told Alec Baldwin’s defense team that the gun used in the 2021 shooting on the set of 'Rust' broke during testing, a source close to the defense told @ABC News."

https://hotair.com/headlines/2023/0...ng-broke-during-testing-and-destroyed-n536006

WTF? Even if it "broke" it wouldn't have been "destroyed".

maximus otter

Back