• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Deaths

Probably not comparing like with like. It won't be everyone round here that doesn't lock their doors, but it's not uncommon. Some even see locking the doors as insulting to the neighbours. Round here if you aren't seen for a few days you are likely to find someone in your kitchen calling out to see if you are OK. This has actually happened to me.

I daresay the real world will intrude at some point, but actually I'm pretty glad it hasn't so far. If I lived in a city I'd take the same precautions as you.
Every time I come to this site I am more and more annoyed that my parents ever left England, it's jarring to see the differences in the standards of living!

My uncle lives on the edge of the Cambrian mountains in Wales. He never locks the doors and when the postman delivers any letters etc, he just walks straight in the farm house and puts the mail on the dining room table. Likewise for any callers, they also just walk straight in.

Where I live in a tower block in Brighton, it'd be stupid to leave the front door unlocked.

My uncle lives on the edge of the Cambrian mountains in Wales. He never locks the doors and when the postman delivers any letters etc, he just walks straight in the farm house and puts the mail on the dining room table. Likewise for any callers, they also just walk straight in.
OMG - that is unbelievable to me in this day and age!
I'm sure there are safer areas in the United States, probably farms and country areas, but where we live I have to track my packages and take them off the porch immediately after delivery.

Gujarat couple behead themselves using guillotine-like device for human sacrifice ritual

https://www.indiatoday.in/india/sto...for-human-sacrifice-ritual-2360990-2023-04-17

By India Today News Desk: A man and his wife allegedly committed suicide by decapitating themselves using a guillotine-like device at their farm in Vinchhiya village in Gujarat's Rajkot district. The couple, identified as Hemubhai Makwana (38) and his wife Hansaben (35), had reportedly created the device at home so that they could offer their heads for a sacrificial ritual.

According to sub-inspector Indrajeetsinh Jadeja of Vinchhiya police station, the couple executed the plan in such a manner that their heads rolled into the fire altar after getting severed.

"The couple first prepared a fire altar before putting their heads under a guillotine-like mechanism held by a rope. As soon as they released the rope, an iron blade fell on them, severing their heads, which rolled into the fire," Jadeja said, reported PTI.

Prosecutors: Gun in "Rust" shooting broke during testing, and "destroyed"

"Prosecutors in New Mexico told Alec Baldwin’s defense team that the gun used in the 2021 shooting on the set of 'Rust' broke during testing, a source close to the defense told @ABC News."

https://hotair.com/headlines/2023/0...ng-broke-during-testing-and-destroyed-n536006

WTF? Even if it "broke" it wouldn't have been "destroyed".

maximus otter

Alec Baldwin’s criminal charges dropped over fatal shooting on Rust set

All criminal charges against actor Alec Baldwin over the fatal shooting of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins on the set of the Rust movie have been dropped.

Prosecutors said "new facts were revealed that demand further investigation and forensic analysis" in the case against Baldwin.

Their statement continued: "Consequently, we cannot proceed under the current time constraints and on the facts and evidence turned over by law enforcement in its existing form.

"We therefore will be dismissing the involuntary manslaughter charges against Mr Baldwin to conduct further investigation."

The prosecutors add that their decision "does not absolve Mr Baldwin of criminal culpability and charges may be refiled".

https://news.sky.com/story/alec-bal...tal-shooting-on-rust-set-are-dropped-12862134

maximus otter

Another peculiar story out of India...

Rajasthan: Cow, hit by Vande Bharat train, falls on man peeing on tracks, killing him​

A cow was hit by a speeding Vande Bharat train in Rajasthan's Alwar. Parts of the cow fell on a man relieving himself on the track 30 metres away, killing him.

By India Today News Desk: A man relieving himself on the railway tracks in Alwar died after a cow, which came in the way of a Vande Bharat train, fell on him on Wednesday.

The incident occurred in the jurisdiction of Aravali Vihar police station in Alwar, Rajasthan. The deceased has been identified as Shivdayal Sharma -- a man who retired from the post of an electrician in the Indian Railways 23 years ago.
https://www.indiatoday.in/india/sto...eing-on-tracks-killing-him-2362617-2023-04-20

Another peculiar story out of India...

Rajasthan: Cow, hit by Vande Bharat train, falls on man peeing on tracks, killing him​

A cow was hit by a speeding Vande Bharat train in Rajasthan's Alwar. Parts of the cow fell on a man relieving himself on the track 30 metres away, killing him.

https://www.indiatoday.in/india/sto...eing-on-tracks-killing-him-2362617-2023-04-20
I'd like to make two points here.

One is that if Shivdayal was 30 metres away the train would have hit him anyway. He might have not have been on the same track, of course.

Another is that as railway tracks are commonly used as outdoor toilets in India, such accidents are not unheard of, although it's normally a more predictable loco/human collision.

Even more from India...

Three-year-old boy dead after monkey ‘pushed’ boulder off roof​

A three-year-old boy has died while playing out the front of his home in India after a boulder fell of a roof being bounced on by monkeys.
https://www.news.com.au/travel/dest...d/news-story/8e8626216deeb3be437bf55fc865d37e
A three-year-old boy in India has been killed by a boulder that a monkey reportedly pushed off a roof on to the small child below.
Locals in the village of Katukuri in Akkannapet said young Devunuri Abhinav was playing outside his house when monkeys were jumping on the roof and the boulder fell on his head, reports English-language Indian newspaper Telangana Today.
The tragedy came only six months after the child had a near-death experience when he fell on a knife that pierced his throat, according to local media.
Devunuri’s parents were reported to have paid more than $8800 for lifesaving surgery and the three-year-old had almost made a full recovery when he was killed by the monkeys.
https://www.news.com.au/travel/dest...f/news-story/cdc9dca04e8f5090b16391c3dedda060

Even more from India...

Three-year-old boy dead after monkey ‘pushed’ boulder off roof​

A three-year-old boy has died while playing out the front of his home in India after a boulder fell of a roof being bounced on by monkeys.
https://www.news.com.au/travel/dest...d/news-story/8e8626216deeb3be437bf55fc865d37e

https://www.news.com.au/travel/dest...f/news-story/cdc9dca04e8f5090b16391c3dedda060

His parents can now cancel their plans to buy him membership of the “Third Time Lucky!” blindfolded chainsaw-juggling club.

:rolleyes:

maximus otter

This is truly strange. A young couple were found dead, apparently of different natural causes.

Daily Post (respectable Welsh news site) report -

Young couple found dead together at home died of different natural causes

A young couple, found dead at home by police, had both died of different natural causes, an inquest heard. A major crime investigation was launched after the bodies of Aleasha Sullivan, 32, and Joshua Sandercock, 30, were discovered at her flat in Holcombe, Devon on October 21, 2021.

But, following the results of a post-mortem examination, the extensive investigation concluded there was no evidence to suggest any connection between the two deaths. This was despite them both being found passed away at the same time in the same place. Aleasha also had a domestic violence protection order against Joshua after he was charged with alleged assault against her, reports DevonLive.

Tragic coincidence I found on reddit's UK Personal Finance forum:

Letter from bank declaring my wife is dead and they are cancelling her cards etc ... but she's alive.

As the title says, and not an entry for /nosleep. The letter, dated 8 days ago, is legitimate, ive spoken to them and they have her marked on the system as dead. They're utterly confused as there's a date of death but no proof. The letter also had the full address correct but the wrong postcode completely (100miles away). We have to now go to a branch to prove she's alive.

My question is, will this date of death be passed on to other banks and will she have issues with her other accounts, mortgage renewal and credit score. They seem unsure and weren't particularly useful on the phone.

Edit: Can confirm that wife is indeed alive. Also, the post code on the letter was wrong so through the power of Internet we have found who we think is the poor soul who actually died, and yes, same name and age as my wife.

Edit 2: this person's husbands name was also the same as mine. Too weird but would appear to be an admin balls up.

Mods...if there's a Coincidences thread then probably better to move it there (I couldn't find it)

The tragic death of 49 year-old Carl O'Keefe, who slipped and suffered a crush injury at the Kong Adventure Centre in Keswick, resulting in his death a week later.
He was an experienced climber and, whilst the indoor caving experience appeared to be aimed primarily at youngsters, the TripAdvisor reviews show that adults were not prohibited from using the facilities.
This is reminiscent of the dreadful Nutty Putty fatality, but being in a man-made indoor environment, it almost beggars belief that it took so many hours to free the man. You would have expected that the Kong Adventure Centre had some sort of quick-release safeguards built into their apparatus.
I suspect Health and Safety will be poring over this for a long time.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/breaking-man-49-who-trapped-29858381

Woman falls to her death after forcing open elevator doors and stumbling into the lift shaft.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...open-elevator-doors-stumbling-lift-shaft.html

CCTV footage shows the woman calmly walking into the airport elevator before fiddling with her phone. She appeared to be confused when the lift stopped with the doors facing her still closed.

Unaware that another set of doors behind her had opened, she began frantically pushing the emergency buttons while trying to prise open the shut doors.

The tragic death of 49 year-old Carl O'Keefe, who slipped and suffered a crush injury at the Kong Adventure Centre in Keswick, resulting in his death a week later.
He was an experienced climber and, whilst the indoor caving experience appeared to be aimed primarily at youngsters, the TripAdvisor reviews show that adults were not prohibited from using the facilities.
This is reminiscent of the dreadful Nutty Putty fatality, but being in a man-made indoor environment, it almost beggars belief that it took so many hours to free the man. You would have expected that the Kong Adventure Centre had some sort of quick-release safeguards built into their apparatus.
I suspect Health and Safety will be poring over this for a long time.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/breaking-man-49-who-trapped-29858381
This was mentioned on another thread but this is where it should be.
I agree with everything you say, especially about how long it took to release the victim. People stuck in confined spaces get into serious difficulties very quickly.

The Nutty Putty incident was indeed awful. One assumes John Jones would have been safe in an artificial cave.

The 2009 fillum The Last Descent about Jones' attempted rescue was made in a studio with very realistic mock-up caves.
When I saw it I wondered if artificial caves are built for other purposes like kids' play. As a child I'd've absolutely loved that.

That's awful (just saw the video).

Yes

The doors seem to open very easily (especially for a lift that has alternating exits) and it looks as though she's so busy on her phone she doesn't notice the difference in floor heights when the doors open. She steps purposefully into the void.

The information says it was on the second floor so not a long fall but not found till three days later!

Yes

The doors seem to open very easily (especially for a lift that has alternating exits) and it looks as though she's so busy on her phone she doesn't notice the difference in floor heights when the doors open. She steps purposefully into the void.

The information says it was on the second floor so not a long fall but not found till three days later!
Not sure where you're from but that's from the Daily Mail, so presumably 2nd floor UK, 3rd floor US - far enough, but possibly not instantaneous, although she would have fallen onto concrete which could quite possibly have done for her immediately from that height. Horrible, whether or not instantaneous - I sincerely hope it was instantaneous rather than being stuck in a dark lift shaft with all kind of injuries and no hope.

presumably 2nd floor UK, 3rd floor US - far enough
Also you'd have to include the depth of the 'lift pit' at the bottom of the shaft - it's the bit that exists for stuff like maintenance, catching any water that runs into the shaft, debris, etc etc etc, so probably another 12ft - 15 ft.

Also you'd have to include the depth of the 'lift pit' at the bottom of the shaft - it's the bit that exists for stuff like maintenance, catching any water that runs into the shaft, debris, etc etc etc, so probably another 12ft - 15 ft.
Plus any basement levels... it could have been a very long way.

Back