• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Deaths

I reckon you've got to try pretty hard to get your head stuck under a footrest.

Perhaps he was trying to get at some chewing gum stuck underneath.

He was after his phone, which he'd dropped down there.

Iv'e had to rescue people from swings and railings among other things and dogs and
people from machinery with only the loss of one limb and a finger but never a death
or a cinema seat, you would think you would be pretty safe in a cinema, sounds
like the seats were powered so you can get comfy and maybe in looking under
it he pressed the buttons and trapped himself maybe by the neck blocking the
airway, not his lucky day that for sure.
I had to rescue a female co worker from a machine before. We were working in a tiny chocolate factory so there was only me and her in the factory part, the women who wrapped the stuff were in another room.

One day, Kelly decided to clean out some white chocolate from a piston pump with her finger while the piston was still moving and got her finger trapped. I hit the emergency stop button, legged it into the wrapping room and dialled 999. I'll never forget the manager saying "What have you done to her !?". :mad:

so all the women ran over to Kelly and without checking, the manager flicked a switch which turned the machine back on and crushed her finger a bit more until I hit the emergency stop button again.

They were able to remove her from the machine and sat the girl, now sobbing, on a chair in the wrapping room. I darted to our customer shop down the driveway and bought a can of cold coke so she could hold it (no skin breakage) for some comfort.

The paramedics turned up and decided she wasn't too badly injured, her Mum stormed up to the place and gave me a filthy look then the owner turned up and bollocked me for dialling 999 "Because I'll have to pay for that .... and WHY didn't she have her safety guard down ?!" ... "Because she won't ever do anything I ask her to."

The next day was meant to be my last day working there anyway but I didn't bother going in, I was still too angry. And I wasn't even her manager, just her co worker ... but it was my fault somehow ? .. only one of the women thanked me.

I had to rescue a female co worker from a machine before. We were working in a tiny chocolate factory so there was only me and her in the factory part, the women who wrapped the stuff were in another room.

One day, Kelly decided to clean out some white chocolate from a piston pump with her finger while the piston was still moving and got her finger trapped. I hit the emergency stop button, legged it into the wrapping room and dialled 999. I'll never forget the manager saying "What have you done to her !?". :mad:

so all the women ran over to Kelly and without checking, the manager flicked a switch which turned the machine back on and crushed her finger a bit more until I hit the emergency stop button again.

They were able to remove her from the machine and sat the girl, now sobbing, on a chair in the wrapping room. I darted to our customer shop down the driveway and bought a can of cold coke so she could hold it (no skin breakage) for some comfort.

The paramedics turned up and decided she wasn't too badly injured, her Mum stormed up to the place and gave me a filthy look then the owner turned up and bollocked me for dialling 999 "Because I'll have to pay for that .... and WHY didn't she have her safety guard down ?!" ... "Because she won't ever do anything I ask her to."

The next day was meant to be my last day working there anyway but I didn't bother going in, I was still too angry. And I wasn't even her manager, just her co worker ... but it was my fault somehow ? .. only one of the women thanked me.

The owner was certainly liable there, not you as you know, because she didn't follow procedure and he's responsible. Maybe the machine shouldn't have worked without the guard on?
I can tell you're still brassed off about taking flak for doing your best in a crisis!

The owner was certainly liable there, not you as you know, because she didn't follow procedure and he's responsible. Maybe the machine shouldn't have worked without the guard on?
I can tell you're still brassed off about taking flak for doing your best in a crisis!
The girl was a pain in the arse to work with, the only woman who thanked me told me she thought the girl fancied me and that was why she was being a little bitch to me .. One day Kelly decided to move all of the end of shift cleaning equipment out of the cupboard in the middle of the factory up to the other end where she was working so she wouldn't have to walk as far (about 8 metres) to fetch it and I bit my lip .. another day she offered to temper my chocolate in the heating vat and deliberately put it on too low a temperature to sabotage my work and I bit my lip .. the list goes on .. it was only a temporary job anyway ..

I did have great fun though during any down time by making mutant reindeer with Santa heads chocolate sculptures and the like .. then I'd just chuck them back into the vat to melt them back down :) (and the chilled machine that rotates and shakes the Easter eggs so the inside is an even thickness is called 'the vibrator' .. so I'm a trained vibrator operator)

I did have great fun though during any down time by making mutant reindeer with Santa heads chocolate sculptures and the like ..

One of my kids had a temporary factory job canning peanuts/choc chips etc. To relieve the boredom wags would can fag ends or pants or socks and then see if their mates further down the line could them pick out in time!

One of my kids had a temporary factory job canning peanuts/choc chips etc. To relieve the boredom wags would can fag ends or pants or socks and then see if their mates further down the line could them pick out in time!
Please tell your kid I'm a long time fan of their art :nods:

Here in Ukraine, which I call home, we are still bewildered by the "suicide" of our now ex-interior minister, Yuri Kravchenko who committed suicide by shooting himself in the head ... twice.

Reminds me of when the imprisoned Andreas Baader shot himself in the back of the head.

Here in Ukraine, which I call home, we are still bewildered by the "suicide" of our now ex-interior minister, Yuri Kravchenko who committed suicide by shooting himself in the head ... twice.

My condolences. Here in Britain there was a spate of 'suicides' - many people believe at least some were murders - by young soldiers at a base called Deepcut, where similar wounds were suffered.

Not nearly as unusual as you might think:

“In one study of 138 gunshot suicides, 5 (3.6%) involved two shots to the head, the first of which missed the brain. A suicide with 4 gunshots to the head has been reported.

In February 1995, a man committed suicide on parkland in Canberra. He took a pump action shotgun and shot himself in the chest. The load passed through the chest without hitting a rib, and went out the other side. He then walked fifteen meters, pulled out a pistol and shot himself in the head. After reloading the shotgun, he leaned the shotgun against his throat, and shot his throat and part of his jaw. He then reloaded a final time, walked 200 meters to a hill, sat down on the slope, held the gun against his chest with his hands and operated the trigger with his toes. This shot entered the thoracic cavity and demolished the heart, killing him.”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_gunshot_suicide

maximus otter

Not nearly as unusual as you might think:

“In one study of 138 gunshot suicides, 5 (3.6%) involved two shots to the head, the first of which missed the brain. A suicide with 4 gunshots to the head has been reported.

In February 1995, a man committed suicide on parkland in Canberra. He took a pump action shotgun and shot himself in the chest. The load passed through the chest without hitting a rib, and went out the other side. He then walked fifteen meters, pulled out a pistol and shot himself in the head. After reloading the shotgun, he leaned the shotgun against his throat, and shot his throat and part of his jaw. He then reloaded a final time, walked 200 meters to a hill, sat down on the slope, held the gun against his chest with his hands and operated the trigger with his toes. This shot entered the thoracic cavity and demolished the heart, killing him.”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_gunshot_suicide

maximus otter

Gosh that is some serious dedication

On the topic of grisly (apparent) suicides I encountered a bit of an odd one at my work one Saturday a few weeks before christmas last year. A body was found found lodged underneath a train in one of the depots, with the natural assumption being made that the train must have struck the person on it’s previous working and the body had become stuck in the underframe, which does occasionally happen. So far so good except when he was spoken to the driver of the previous service was absolutely adamant that he hadn’t hit anyone. This (along with a few other inconsistencies) prompted a bit of further investigation and on reviewing the depot CCTV footage it was discovered that what had actually happened was that the person involved had climbed over the 2m tall security fence at the depot and walked directly and determinedly over to the train, right into the side of it as it passed by - at the time was travelling at the depot speed limit of 5mph - and become tangled in the rotating propshaft where he was later found. In the mean time just as all this was going on another person took the more traditional approach to these matters and jumped off the platform at a station only a mile away from the same depot into the path of an oncoming train doing 100mph, requiring the undertaker who’d had be called for the first incident to be redirected a few streets away to the second.

Just another day on the railway!

Last edited:
A cinema with electronic footrests? Never seen those round my way.
That very cinema is the one I go to most often, and "Gold Class", with its fancy electric armchairs, is what we usually choose. Have to say, the seats never struck me as dangerous before.

It could be that these recliner seats are programmed to go down automatically when somebody is not sitting on it.

I think you pay a pound extra in our picture place for those chairs but, they do not recline electronically

He took a pump action shotgun and shot himself in the chest. The load passed through the chest without hitting a rib, and went out the other side. He then walked fifteen meters, pulled out a pistol and shot himself in the head. After reloading the shotgun, he leaned the shotgun against his throat, and shot his throat and part of his jaw. He then reloaded a final time, walked 200 meters to a hill, sat down on the slope, held the gun against his chest with his hands and operated the trigger with his toes. This shot entered the thoracic cavity and demolished the heart, killing him.”
So I guess it wasn’t just a cry for help then.

That very cinema is the one I go to most often, and "Gold Class", with its fancy electric armchairs, is what we usually choose. Have to say, the seats never struck me as dangerous before.

Very fancy. I'm presuming the footrests are an integral part of the chair & move with it as you change position. If so I can see how this unfortunate accident could've happened. I don't think the original report mentioned electric seats, just the footrest, which seemed odd.

No, not snakes, this Black Mamba is a former legal high.

A warning has been issued after the deaths of seven men which may be linked to former legal high Black Mamba.

Drug workers in the West Midlands were sent an alert after "a cluster" of incidents in a short period last week.

Public Health England (PHE) confirmed it is investigating the deaths, which happened across Birmingham and the Black Country.

West Midlands Police confirmed one death, at a city centre hostel, was linked to Black Mamba.

A second death, also at the hostel, is believed to be drug-related.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-birmingham-43600584

I remember many years back a guy disappeared, he had a small holding near
us only when they found his knee caps in the pigsty did they decide he had
collapsed and died in the sty and his pigs had eaten him.
Man eats pig, mmmm bacon butties, pig eats man, big news or the empire strikes back.

Looks like risky behaviour wasn't that unusual in his company.

An eccentric biotech pioneer who once injected himself with an unapproved herpes treatment has been found dead inside a flotation tank.

The body of Aaron Traywick, CEO of Ascendance Biomedical, was discovered by employees at a Washington DC spa on Sunday night. Police said there was no evidence of foul play.

Ascendance staff told VICE News that the 28-year-old entrepreneur had been inside a sensory deprivation tank at the the time of his death. He had not been in touch with colleagues for around a month prior to his death, following “disagreements over the company’s direction and philosophical differences over how to best distribute its creations”.

Traywick was a controversial figure in the rapidly developing world of biomedical technology.

His startup pioneered the concept of “biohacking” - conducting medical research and developing new treatments outside the conventional domain of pharmaceutical companies and federal regulators. ...

http://www.theweek.co.uk/93335/biot...letter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter

Man trapped behind toilet wall.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/may/02/calgary-canada-body-behind-toilet-accidental-death

Police in Canada have said a man whose body was found inside a wall in a women’s washroom died accidentally, after he crawled into a vent opening for unknown reasons and became stuck.

The grisly discovery was made earlier this week after a worker at the Core Shopping Centre in Calgary was called in to fix a toilet that wouldn’t flush. After removing the wall panel behind the toilet, he found a body belonging to an adult male.

On Wednesday Calgary police did not name the victim, identifying him only as a male in his 20s. He had entered the women’s washroom on Friday evening – some three days before his body was found – and was believed to have been alone at the time, police said....

Man trapped behind toilet wall.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/may/02/calgary-canada-body-behind-toilet-accidental-death

Police in Canada have said a man whose body was found inside a wall in a women’s washroom died accidentally, after he crawled into a vent opening for unknown reasons and became stuck.

The grisly discovery was made earlier this week after a worker at the Core Shopping Centre in Calgary was called in to fix a toilet that wouldn’t flush. After removing the wall panel behind the toilet, he found a body belonging to an adult male.

On Wednesday Calgary police did not name the victim, identifying him only as a male in his 20s. He had entered the women’s washroom on Friday evening – some three days before his body was found – and was believed to have been alone at the time, police said....

Voyeurism may be a dangerous activity.

The guy in the wall is weird. He entered the women's washroom, climbed through a vent in the ceiling that was beside the wall, then climbied (or fell) behind the wall, where I have to assume he got stuck and positionally asphyxiated himself.

What makes it pretty weird is how did he know there was a vent in the women's washroom, and that there was a space behind the wall?
Was he trying to hide to rob the place later, or was he trying to sneak a peek at the ladies (creepy!)?

I don't know what it is about it, but bodies hidden in walls gives me the creeps!

Back