• Hello everyone, we will rebooting the web server on Sunday February 17th 2019 at 1800 (6pm) GMT / 1300 (1pm) EST to apply some server updates.

We will also be applying some updates to the forums software.

This will result in approximately 30 minutes of downtime

Strange Deaths

escargot

Beloved of Ra
22. Killed By A Robot

Ford Motor Company's casting plant in Flat Rock, Michigan, employed a one ton robot to fetch parts from a storage rack. When the robot malfunctioned on January 25, 1979, 25 year old Robert Williams was asked to climb up on the rack and get the parts. While he was performing the task, the robot suddenly reactivated and hit Williams in the head with its arms. Williams died instantly. Four years later a jury ordered Unit Handling Systems, the manufacturer of the robot, to pay the Williams family $10 million. Williams is believed to have been the first person killed by a robot.
The version I heard about this was that the robot 'processed' the worker, i.e. it picked him up like a sheet of metal and cut pieces out of him. Obviously this wasn't true! but it expressed a fear of the time, that robots would take over and do scary things.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
22. Killed By A Robot

Ford Motor Company's casting plant in Flat Rock, Michigan, employed a one ton robot to fetch parts from a storage rack. When the robot malfunctioned on January 25, 1979, 25 year old Robert Williams was asked to climb up on the rack and get the parts. While he was performing the task, the robot suddenly reactivated and hit Williams in the head with its arms. Williams died instantly. Four years later a jury ordered Unit Handling Systems, the manufacturer of the robot, to pay the Williams family $10 million. Williams is believed to have been the first person killed by a robot.
Hold on. The robot's manufacturer got sued, when it was Ford's responsibility to make sure that it was properly turned off?

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
23. Aw Chute

Ivan McGuire was an experienced parachutist who spent the afternoon of April 2, 1988, in Louisburg, North Carolina, videotaping parachuting students as they jumped and jumping with them. On his third trip up, McGuire dropped from the airplane and began filming the instructor and student who followed him a second later. McGuire reached back and discovered that he had forgotten to put on his parachute. His videotape, which was shown on the news in nearby Raleigh, recorded McGuire's final words: "Uh-oh",

24. Silenced By The Lambs

Betty Stobbs, 67, put a bale of hay on her bike and went out to feed the sheep at her family farm in Stanhope, England, on January 26, 1999. Forty sheep rushed towards her and began jumping up on the bike to reach the hay, knocking Stobbs into the 100 ft deep Ashes Quarry. Alan Renfry witnessed the incident from his home and was convinced that the sheep were responsible for Stobbs' death.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
24. Silenced By The Lambs

Betty Stobbs, 67, put a bale of hay on her bike and went out to feed the sheep at her family farm in Stanhope, England, on January 26, 1999. Forty sheep rushed towards her and began jumping up on the bike to reach the hay, knocking Stobbs into the 100 ft deep Ashes Quarry. Alan Renfry witnessed the incident from his home and was convinced that the sheep were responsible for Stobbs' death.
How did she get an entire bale of hay onto her bike?

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Anyone able to corroborate the Strange Deaths clipping in FT 370 about the German man who died melting cheese on his penis while dressed in a diving suit, women's tights and a raincoat, with a plastic bag over his head? The credits says it's from The Sun, who are not known for their adherence to accuracy, but I can't find any reference online without the man's name, which is absent.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Anyone able to corroborate the Strange Deaths clipping in FT 370 about the German man who died melting cheese on his penis while dressed in a diving suit, women's tights and a raincoat, with a plastic bag over his head? The credits says it's from The Sun, who are not known for their adherence to accuracy, but I can't find any reference online without the man's name, which is absent.
As far as I can tell, the UK 'bloids all snagged the story from The Local.de (site providing German news in English):

https://www.thelocal.de/20180208/100-people-die-in-germany-each-year-due-to-risky-sex-practices

The article is a general overview, and no individual names are cited for the German victims(?).

hunck

Justified & Ancient
That sounds entirely credible. He died melting cheese on his penis. So he was heating his penis [with a blow torch?] sufficiently to cause cheese to melt on it? That wouldn't be good for you. What killed him I wonder - probably the bag over the head. That'd do it.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Casu Marzu, that cheese with maggots wriggling about in it to be extra kinky.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
That sounds entirely credible. He died melting cheese on his penis. So he was heating his penis [with a blow torch?] sufficiently to cause cheese to melt on it? That wouldn't be good for you. What killed him I wonder - probably the bag over the head. That'd do it.
He was melting the cheese with a heater, presumably electric (for warming rooms). I'm not sure if that killed him, but it can't have helped.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Anyone able to corroborate the Strange Deaths clipping in FT 370 about the German man who died melting cheese on his penis while dressed in a diving suit, women's tights and a raincoat, with a plastic bag over his head?
There but for the grace of God...

James_H

And I like to roam the land

James_H

And I like to roam the land