• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Deaths

yes. I just think if it was local it'd be easier to find - but she swears ot's happened recently in Glasgow!

Very very nasty way to go.

A 35-year-old woman was killed when she fell into a meat grinder at work.

The accident took place at a processing plant in northern Pennsylvania on Monday.

The Lycoming County coroner’s office said Jill Greninger’s body was found by a co-worker at the Economy Locker Storage Company in Muncy, who heard strange noises coming from the machine. :freak:

Huff Post

And now for our more terrible sacrifice.

A woman has died after suffering a neck injury during the traditional May Day Obby Oss celebration in Padstow, Cornwall.

Police are investigating reports the 34-year-old was struck by a person wearing a horse costume - known as Obby Oss - while walking along a footpath on Wednesday evening.

Sky

What the flip could go wrong eating raw marmot liver? Marmots are, apparently, a known carrier of the plague bacteria according to the link.

I'm pretty sure if I was abroad and offered raw liver, I might politely say no (says the man poisoned by roe deer steak tartare, but that was at a Michelin-starred restaurant!),
I simply would not eat any meat of a bird or a land animal raw. I've eaten uncooked salmon, but that was smoked (and I won't make the mistake of eating it raw again). Raw fish from the sea should generally be safe, because of a high salt content keeping the meat fairly sterile.

The high plastic content in sea fish means they're no good for you either.

Because the plastic is microscopic (microplastics), not big chunks of plastic milk bottles or something. They carry toxic chemicals which can cause those eating them damage. There's a degree of "could" and "might" in this report:
Explain-o-tron

...but it is clear microplastic amounts are increasing in fish, especially shellfish.

Don't know if this one has been posted yet, couldn't see it. I read about it in the paper the other week, thought it was strange, the whole cause and effect thing about him pretending to be dead so many times and then it happens.

Serial prankster, 26, accidentally killed himself when he tried to fool his girlfriend into thinking he had hanged himself with his tracksuit bottoms
By Jack Elsom For Mailonline
Published: 10:25, 2 May 2019 | Updated: 11:52, 2 May 2019

A serial prankster accidentally killed himself when trying to fool his girlfriend into thinking he had been hanged, an inquest heard.

Danny Munro, 26, died three days after strangling himself with his tracksuit bottoms in Bignall End, Staffordshire.

His girlfriend Amy Leaman, who had previously warned him against 'crying wolf', initially dismissed her boyfriend's hanging as another joke and the true horror only dawned on her when he was unresponsive to her pleas and his face turned blue.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...k-girlfriend-accidentally-hanged-himself.html

I'm pretty sure if I was abroad and offered raw liver, I might politely say no (says the man poisoned by roe deer steak tartare, but that was at a Michelin-starred restaurant!),

I was told of a guy locally who found a dead deer at the side of the road and believing it to be roadkill took it home and butchered it, during the process he cut out bits of the liver which he fed to his dog, which collapsed and died. Apparently the deer was injured by a car but not killed so a vet was called who euthanised said deer at the side of the road, matey then finds it before it can be picked up and disposed of. The chemicals that the vet put it down with went to the liver and then to the dog. I’m sure there is a motto here. Something possibly about free lunch?

T63

I was told of a guy locally who found a dead deer at the side of the road and believing it to be roadkill took it home and butchered it, during the process he cut out bits of the liver which he fed to his dog, which collapsed and died. Apparently the deer was injured by a car but not killed so a vet was called who euthanised said deer at the side of the road, matey then finds it before it can be picked up and disposed of. The chemicals that the vet put it down with went to the liver and then to the dog. I’m sure there is a motto here. Something possibly about free lunch?

T63
@Tempest63 maybe the moral is 'oh dear '...

I was told of a guy locally who found a dead deer at the side of the road and believing it to be roadkill took it home and butchered it, during the process he cut out bits of the liver which he fed to his dog, which collapsed and died. Apparently the deer was injured by a car but not killed so a vet was called who euthanised said deer at the side of the road, matey then finds it before it can be picked up and disposed of. The chemicals that the vet put it down with went to the liver and then to the dog.

On a serious note, think carefully before consuming roadkill meat, especially if it’s supplied by a “mate”.

l am what is described in UK law as a “Trained Hunter”. l volunteered to take a £300, three-day course (with a major, two-book pre-read) which tested me in:

• Deer biology and ecology.
  • Legislation.
  • Stalking techniques and taking the shot.
  • Deer identification.
  • Safety.
  • Shooting.
  • Large game meat hygiene.

The DSC1 assessment has the following 5 modules:

1. Written. This has 50 multiple choice questions which are taken from a bank of written questions. To pass, at least 40 questions must be answered correctly.
  2. Visual. Candidates are shown 20 images covering the 6 species of wild deer in the UK. The species and the sex have to be identified for each image, and both must be correct to gain a mark. To pass, candidates must obtain at least 16 marks out of the possible 20.
  3. Safety. Candidates are walked around a safety assessment path during which they are shown 4 deer targets and asked to specify whether they would shoot at them or not. Candidates are additionally asked nine other questions on safety and all must be answered correctly to obtain a pass.
  4. Shooting. This has 2 parts. First, the candidate must fire 3 shots to land inside a 4 inch circle on a zero target from a range of 100m. Three attempts at this are allowed in any one day. When this has been achieved, the candidate can then have 3 attempts (in any one day) to put:

• 2 shots into the killing area of a deer target from 100 m (in any position using normal stalking aids such as rucksack or bipod);
  • 2 shots into the killing area of a deer target from 70m sitting or kneeling (again normal aids such as bipod or sticks may be used);
  • 2 shots into the killing area of a deer target from 40m standing (sticks may be used).

1. Game Meat Hygiene. This has 40 multiple choice questions taken from a bank of Wild Game Meat Hygiene questions. These cover areas such as recognising normal and abnormal behaviour, common diseases, signs of ill-health, possible sources of contamination and hygienic working techniques. There are also food hygiene questions on risks to human health, use of veterinary medicines on wild deer, food safety and notifiable diseases. To pass, at least 32 questions must be answered correctly.
https://www.dmq.org.uk/dsc1/#top

This qualification means that l am legally allowed to sell deer meat into the human food chain.

As will be seen from point 5 (above), l have been trained in assessing live deer behaviour and carcase examination. “Jeff from down the pub” hasn’t. Even if the meat he’s punting out was a legit roadkill, it pays to ask yourself why that particular deer may have wandered into the path of a car. Tens of thousands do annually, but was Jeff’s bargain venison from a wild deer with foot and mouth disease? Was it an escapee from a deer farm that had just been tranquillised or medicated, and the ear tag specifying that lost in the RTA (or removed & discarded by Jeff...).

maximus otter

Last edited:
Must admit this seems a bit odd, 74 year old hanging outside his window just after midnight
out in the wilds of Anglesey adjusting his sat dish when he is shot with a crossbow, bolt goes
through his chest and his arm on the way out, only thing I can think of is that someone was
out taking sheep and saw him as some sort of threat, watching them or maybe thought he
was armed himself. Whatever append and why it's been a month now with the police
seemingly no clue as to what happened or why.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-48240077

Mr Corrigan, a former photography and video lecturer who had lived on Anglesey for more than 20 years, was left critically ill at Royal Stoke University Hospital when the bolt went through his upper body and right arm.

That really could have been better expressed. It sounds equally likely that he was shot while in hospital.

...74 year old hanging outside his window just after midnight out in the wilds of Anglesey adjusting his sat dish when he is shot with a crossbow...

No-one, especially a 74-year old, hangs out of a window after midnight to “adjust a satellite dish”. l find it very difficult to believe that anyone would steal sheep while tooled up with a crossbow.

There’s a lot more to this than we’re hearing.

maximus otter

The sat dish bit seems strange to me, as for the sheep they don,t want live ones just
meat to sell. I to think there's more to it though.

Back