• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Things As Food & Drink

I guess that man never, ever washed his beard. Ewww.

Don't try this at home, it takes 7 years of training to chop up one of these potential killers properly .. about 35 people a year die trying to do this at home. Ironically, they cost about £35 in a restaurant ..

"Head on, it resembles a dog’s willy. Sadly, it doesn’t taste as good as it looks . . . "

The Ham Dogger!

One of those clickbait Guardian kitchen gadget reviews. Always at their best when the gadget is terrible! :rofl:

Don't try this at home, it takes 7 years of training to chop up one of these potential killers properly .. about 35 people a year die trying to do this at home. Ironically, they cost about £35 in a restaurant ..

Eating fugu served by an unlicensed chef, however, can be fatal: between 2006 and 2015, 10 people died after eating the fish, most of whom had attempted to prepare it themselves.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/aug/05/last-supper-japan-killer-puffer-fish-fugu

Eating fugu served by an unlicensed chef, however, can be fatal: between 2006 and 2015, 10 people died after eating the fish, most of whom had attempted to prepare it themselves.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/aug/05/last-supper-japan-killer-puffer-fish-fugu
I also remember reading somewhere once that the source of the Haitian/Voodoo zombies culture, to cut a long story short, the puffa fish's toxin was used as part of a preperation to spike unwitting people, who were then buried because the families thought they were dead .. then they were dug up and brought back out of the presumed coma to become brainwashed slaves but criminal slave masters .. zombies ..

I've had it a couple of times and my main takeaway from the experience is that I shouldn't try it again as neither the taste nor texture is nice.
You're a braver man then me but I envy you.

I've had it a couple of times and my main takeaway from the experience is that I shouldn't try it again as neither the taste nor texture is nice.

I just don't see the point considering the risk involved? :huh:

There is effectively no risk--that's largely myth. Yes, it can kill you, but you're more likely to die in a road traffic accident on your way to eat it.

The majority of restaurants in East Asia tend to serve a single dish with slight variations, and these restaurants are pretty common. I dare say that the vast majority of the adult population of Korea and Japan has tried this food and only a tiny number of people over a very long period of time have been made sick or killed. There is one part of the fish to be removed, if this is done the fish is safe. The chef working in a dedicated restaurant is as likely to botch this as a chef in a western restaurant is to forget to remove the head from your roast chicken.

More people have died from choking on live Octopus, and that's a negligible figure, too.

Asian Seafood Raised on Pig Feces Approved for U.S. Consumers
January 9, 2016
Share on Facebook

Seafood raised on pig feces and crawling with flies is being sold to U.S. consumers. As popular as shrimp is in America, very rarely do people actually pay attention to where it comes from. 100 million pounds of shrimp a year, 8% of the shrimp Americans eat, come from some of the dirtiest conditions imaginable.

Imagine a warehouse full of workers standing on dirty floors covered in trash, with flies crawling all over baskets of un-chilled shrimp in an un-air-conditioned room in September of a tropical climate.

Then those “processed” shrimp are packed into dirty plastic tubs with ice made from tap water that even the local Heath Ministry says should be boiled before consuming to prevent contamination. This is exactly what the shrimp industry looks like in Vietnam.

“Those conditions — ice made from dirty water, animals near the farms, pigs — are unacceptable,” says microbiologist Mansour Samadpour, whose company, IEH Laboratories & Consulting Group, specializes in testing water for shellfish farming.

Then there are the tilapia farms in China where farmers feed fish a steady diet of pig and goose feces.

https://healthyfoodusa.com/asian-seafood-raised-on-pig-feces-approved-for-u-s-consumers/

'Impeach him!': New Zealand Prime Minister under fire for putting tinned spaghetti on his pizza
Helena Horton
6 April 2017 • 8:42am

Many think putting pineapple on pizza is disgusting and an affront to Italian cuisine.
However, the Prime Minister of New Zealand has faced calls for impeachment over his chosen pizza toppings; pineapple and perhaps more controversially tinned spaghetti.

He wrote: "Cooked dinner for the family last night - like if you agree with tinned spaghetti on pizza!"
However, he later conceded the pizza was "soggy", writing: "I drained off some of the liquid but not quite enough since pizza was a bit soggy in the middle. Goes well with pineapple."

etc...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...prime-minister-fire-putting-tinned-spaghetti/

A 2015 Russian army ration pack being reviewed ..

Last edited:
Flowering Jasmin Tea .. the Mrs is worried because her posh place of work serves this and two tables are expecting it but she hasn't got any for the chef to prepare today .. it looks cool though .. not her fault, she asked for them to be ordered 2 months ago. It's activated by hot water and she says it tastes like dish water.

She's asked me if I know of any weird cool poncey tea to compare but I haven't got a clue at such short notice ... the best solution I've managed is to buy two packs of Happy Shopper mini Easter eggs that she can present in a posh as possible bowl also with a discount .. good luck to her on that one ..

Let's compare the two shall we? ..

eggs.jpg

Last edited:
I've had the novelty flower tea. Bring on the Mini Eggs!

Eating Spaghetti by the Fistful Was Once a Neapolitan Street Spectacle
Tourists flocked to see the “macaroni eaters” cram noodles into their mouths.
BY ADEE BRAUN
MAY 08, 2017
Spaghetti2.jpg

Two men with plates of spaghetti at a street side counter, Naples, late 19th century. LIBRARY OF CONGRESS/LC-USZ62-113417
A hungry visitor strolling through the narrow streets of 19th-century Naples would have encountered a wealth of food options—some more tempting than others. Vendors hawked meats and cakes, women cooked up soups and omelets, and goats patiently awaited milking. Among those vying for attention would have been the pasta-sellers tending to cauldrons brimming with long strands of spaghetti writhing in boiling water. The spaghetti would have been fished out of its scalding bath and handed over to hungry men and women who then would have deftly lowered fistful of the noodles into their mouths in one gulp. These were the macaroni-eaters of Naples.

From the 17th to 19th centuries, macaroni, which was the term used for all forms of pasta, was a street food. And, like any proper street food, macaroni was eaten not with a fork, but with one’s bare hands.

Watching this custom in action was one of Naples’ major tourist attractions. The macaroni-eaters were written up in guidebooks, illustrated in paintings, and later captured in prints and on film for postcards. Some macaroni-sellers would even provide demonstrations to tourists willing to pay for a plate. Eating a handful of macaroni in a single bite was something of a sport, or at least a gastronomical challenge. In a book published in 1832, Andrea de Jorio, the Neapolitan clergyman and ethnographer, explained that to eat macaroni “the Neapolitan way” requires that the pasta be “swallowed down in a single, uninterrupted mouthful.” De Jorio further explains that the macaroni must be poured into one’s mouth “with both hands in such a way that there is no interval between successive mouthfuls, except what is necessary to allow the macaroni to reach the oesophagus.” Naturally, visitors found this endlessly entertaining.

image.jpg

More text at http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/spaghetti-eaten-by-hand-naples

That's a great page! I was reading recently of the name Macaroni as applied to effeminate men of the 18th Century.

The term was directed at men who had visited the Continent and come back with strange ways . . .

Tilting your neck back [to enjoy a full-length spaghetti] was, I suppose, one of those ways. :rolleyes:

So that's why Yankee Doodle Dandy was called Macaroni after putting a feather in his cap? Seems strange that song would become synonymous with red-blooded American patriotism.

So that's why Yankee Doodle Dandy was called Macaroni after putting a feather in his cap? Seems strange that song would become synonymous with red-blooded American patriotism.
The reference to Macaroni(fashion) on Wikipedia.

A macaroni (or formerly maccaroni)[1] in mid-18th-century England was a fashionable fellow who dressed and even spoke in an outlandishly affected and epicene manner. The term pejoratively referred to a man who "exceeded the ordinary bounds of fashion"[2] in terms of clothes, fastidious eating, and gambling. He mixed Continental affectations with his English nature, like a practitioner of macaronic verse (which mixed English and Latin to comic effect), laying himself open to satire:

There is indeed a kind of animal, neither male nor female, a thing of the neuter gender, lately [1770] started up among us. It is called a macaroni. It talks without meaning, it smiles without pleasantry, it eats without appetite, it rides without exercise, it wenches without passion.[3]

The macaronis were precursor to the dandies, who came as a more masculine reaction to the excesses of the macaroni, far from their present connotation of effeminacy.[4]

You learn something new etc. So how did the pasta come to be named after macaroni, or was it the other way around? And why the American patriot connection in song?

Back