• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Suggestions About Re-Organisation: Move & Merge Requests

Do you have a thread on the George Stock UFO photos (he took 5) in Passaic NJ, in July of 1952?

Although it is relevant to the discussion of the Fermi paradox,( i.e. how long to technologically advanced civilisations last) I wonder whether there is mileage in having a thread on the difficulties of detecting such civilisations that may have existed in the distant past. Also to include detection of colonies or visits from elsewhere at a similarly distant point in time.

The Fermi paradox thread https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...-aliens-contacted-us-yet-fermi-paradox.28807/ has touched on the difficulties of detecting a theoretical early agricultural level dinosaur civilisation and what resources it may have had. What are the difficulties, what could we look for?

Trouble is I’m not sure where to put it! I’m not thinking of Atlanteans with death rays, etc. just evidence of other species starting to achieve tool use, fire, agriculture, domestication of animals, etc. OOP are covered elsewhere and may form part of the story. Ancient aliens’ supposed influence on human evolution is too recent. The difficulties of ascribing tool use to various early hominids or others is documented and is seen as the crossover point from palaeontology to archaeology. Does that split mean that the palaeontologists could miss the signs?

So, all wise Mods, any ideas? I couldn’t find anywhere obvious to me on a quick search and asking for more ideas on the Fermi thread seems to be inviting thread drift.

Could these Threads be merged?

No. Some relate to the Antarctic continent, some relate to Antarctic history (e.g., exploration), some relate to contemporary Antarctic habitation, etc., etc.

Materials relating to both the Arctic and Antarctic regions could use a major reorganization, but I (at least) don't have the time right now.

Although it is relevant to the discussion of the Fermi paradox,( i.e. how long to technologically advanced civilisations last) I wonder whether there is mileage in having a thread on the difficulties of detecting such civilisations that may have existed in the distant past. Also to include detection of colonies or visits from elsewhere at a similarly distant point in time.

The Fermi paradox thread https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...-aliens-contacted-us-yet-fermi-paradox.28807/ has touched on the difficulties of detecting a theoretical early agricultural level dinosaur civilisation and what resources it may have had. What are the difficulties, what could we look for? ...

I understand the elements of the topic you wish to address, but I'm not getting a clear impression what the topic is.

Are you referring to (for example):

- detecting civilizations "out there" (in the universe)?
- detecting past terrestrial civilizations here on earth?
- detecting terrestrial visits / presence of ETs?
- technological civilizations in general (definition; origin; features; histories)?
- some / all of the above?

I understand the elements of the topic you wish to address, but I'm not getting a clear impression what the topic is.

Are you referring to (for example):

- detecting civilizations "out there" (in the universe)?
- detecting past terrestrial civilizations here on earth?
- detecting terrestrial visits / presence of ETs?
- technological civilizations in general (definition; origin; features; histories)?
- some / all of the above?
Sorry for not being clear.

Detecting past terrestrial civilizations here on earth probably covers it but I'm talking about a long way back, say Miocene (5.3 mya) and back from there. Therefore way before traditional archaeology gets involved.

In other words did any other species start to develop any sort of civilisation involving agriculture, toolmaking, use of fire before hominids?

I imagine that if "odd" items were found, like OOP objects it may be dificult to prove their origin was terrestrial and not a past visit or attempt at colonisation, time travel etc. I was therefore thinking more in the lines of traces of buildings, evidence of mining, evidence of tool use or agriculture.

I was thinking of it as different from astro archaeology (structures on Mars, etc.), SETI or ET influence, or not, on human civilisations or genetics.

Is that any clearer or have I made it worse??:worry: I was trying to avoid thread drift and or starting a thread in the wrong place - again.

... In other words did any other species start to develop any sort of civilisation involving agriculture, toolmaking, use of fire before hominids? ...

OK - thanks for the clarification. We actually have a thread dedicated to the question of how we can or might detect evidence of any civilization prior to humans:

Silurian Hypothesis: How To Detect Any Pre-Human Civilisation?
https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...w-to-detect-any-pre-human-civilisation.63717/

There's a separate thread addressing the specific case of a possible dinosaur civilization:

Dinosaur Civilisation
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/dinosaur-civilisation.7972/

... but it seems to me your theme matches the Silurian Hypothesis thread.

OK - thanks for the clarification. We actually have a thread dedicated to the question of how we can or might detect evidence of any civilization prior to humans:

Silurian Hypothesis: How To Detect Any Pre-Human Civilisation?
https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...w-to-detect-any-pre-human-civilisation.63717/

There's a separate thread addressing the specific case of a possible dinosaur civilization:

Dinosaur Civilisation
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/dinosaur-civilisation.7972/

... but it seems to me your theme matches the Silurian Hypothesis thread.
It does, thanks @EnolaGaia . I completely failed to find those on search:doh:

Nemo's duplicate threads have been consolidated into a single one, re-titled to indicate its topic.

More of a name change request than a merge request: based on the correction of details in the story, shouldn't the thread Wojtek: Nazi-Fighting Czech Bear? in Fortean Fauna be changed to Wojtek: Nazi-Fighting Polish Bear?

More of a name change request than a merge request: based on the correction of details in the story, shouldn't the thread Wojtek: Nazi-Fighting Czech Bear? in Fortean Fauna be changed to Wojtek: Nazi-Fighting Polish Bear?

The thread has been re-titled: Wojtek: The 'Polish Soldier Bear' (World War II)

Wojtek wasn't "Polish" - he was Iranian.

The focuses are a bit different, but do you think the Odd People (Human, But Strange) thread should also incorporate the currently very active People Who Think They’re Special thread?

The focuses are a bit different, but do you think the Odd People (Human, But Strange) thread should also incorporate the currently very active People Who Think They’re Special thread?

The current major project is separating the Odd People material from the Strange Folk thread in which it had overridden the stated theme.

The "People Who Think They're Special" and "Tidal Wave Of Narcissists" threads are redundant whinge-bins whose dispositions must remain pending.

I know I don't post much of interest but it's the only hobby I have.

Oh .. *blush*. I'm just keeping it 'real', but there are local finds declared of national importance that may be of interest.

I'm confused as to why the Ghost of Eastern Flight 401 is in Urban Legends rather than ghosts. I don't think it's been proved a hoax the way it was claimed at all, and aside from the ghostly occurrences claimed in the plane, there is all the ghost and paranormal experiences of the pilots wife.

In the end, even if you think it is a hoax and has been debunked, I think it belongs grouped with ghosts. What do ya'll think?
https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...crash-ul-ghost-of-flight-401-book-movie.2611/

Well, OK ... The thread has been moved to Ghosts: General.

That thread was never in the Ghosts section before. It originated in the Fortean Culture section because it focused on the book(s) and TV movie that emerged after the fact as well as the widely disseminated urban legends about recycled components causing spooky sightings on recipient aircraft.

Back